Andorid Pie/Android General

Thoughts on Pie?

Attached: IMG_9059.jpg (1920x1280, 186K)

further fragmentation of android / phone line up

This, yet somehow still 1000X better than the faggy fruit abortion that is iOS. You'd LITERALLY have to be a homosexual to use it.

Explain your thoughts in more detail please.

The clock is on the left, therefore I didn't upgrade even though pie has been available to my device since November. (I won't root my device until the warranty expires)

3% of the android user base will be using it while the rest are still dating back to kitkat

Pi is okay. Is it that much better than 8? Not really, but it works fine. This is the last android version before google drops fushia (sp?) Right?

That's a fault of people wasting money on burner phones when they could put that money towards a flagship that has better reliability, build quality, and lasts longer.

I really like the new gesture setup for the navigation bar. At first I wasn't sure how I felt about it, but after giving it a couple days its grown on me and I couldn't imagine not having it. Night mode is really nice too, and aesthetically it feels cleaner than 8

I mean I don't know about stock but my S9's battery life is much, much better with Pie.
I can get about an extra day out of it now.

why do you need a flagship phone? budget phones do just about everything they can. not to mention older flagships that are 1-2 years old already "obsolete"

shit, new multitasking menu is fine though

Lollipop was worse

- New design language is great, looks fresher and ageless
- The "gesture navigation" is very basic and doesn't eliminate the navbar space which is the whole point of gesture navigation.
- The notifications area is smarter and cleaner.

Attached: DxKvEvVUcAAboTI.jpg (1440x1440, 302K)

Pie seems worse than Oreo. Specifically the multi window implementation.

Is not bad i guess.
i recently use this for a month. before it i was use Lollipop one,so is a huge jump from Lollipop to Pie.
The look feel modern,it has few built-in feature that i use a lot like grayscale mode and night light/yellowish tint mode.
The Downside is how huge the System File and RAM that Pie Needs to perform good and snappy.
4/64 Configuration is pretty ideal.
*disclaimer: i never use or own Marshmallow,Nougat or Oreo device before so i don't really know the difference and improvement

What gesture seturp

What the fuck was google thinking?

Attached: .png (584x433, 330K)

and i forgot to mention that you cannot make any record from phone call.
is pretty huge deal breaker for some people who use to record a phone call for job etc.
jewgle said is about privacy thing

The old Paranoid Android Pie/Halo/whatever it was called was good gesture navigation. This new google bullshit in 9.0 is god awful and looks like it was pieced together by autistic toddlers.

Attached: pie2.jpg (768x565, 40K)

it just werk. i need a week for get use the swipe gesture tho.
that being said is not mandatory,you can toggle from setting and use the old one

the only true gestures in it are used for multitasking, you still need to press a button for Home and Back

why can't we have OxygenOS gestures on AOSP

I'll let you know when my one plus 6t (unlocked) gets here its NOT the GARBAGE T-Mobile version

It's shit. I don't like the new "gesture navigation" so I'm sticking to Oreo.

Overall its good but the iphone style task switcher was a downgrade. and if they remove the back button then fuck android

splash screen looks like an Insane Clown Posse album cover

Attached: we_jigglin_er.jpg (225x225, 6K)

It's actually alot better when you get the hang of it. For example you can swipe up to get rid of the task, or swipe down to pull it down, and if I switch from one task to another, say switching from YouTube to Jow Forums, if I pull up the task menu, it will automatically go to the previous app being used, making multitasking feel more streamlined

its too finnicky and requires precise slides or you'll either slide back 2 activities or accidentally go to the homescreen. double tapping the recents button was a lot more reliable. oh yeah, long pressing the recents button for splitscreen was the BEST feature android ever removed. those fucking retards, what were they thinking? now its a hassle to do split screen apps. recents -> long press -> select split screen. It went from 1 button to 3.

you can easily change back to the old interface

Now THAT'S what I call autism

What the fuck is an insane clown posse?

And the old one will probably go away in the next update.
there's absolutely no point in the shitty gesture nav if it's going to take up the same space as the old navbar. swiping also takes longer and smears the damn screen. Once they make all the buttons gesture only try gesturing back many times quickly.

Ask your mom what a Juggalette is first, faggot.

My mom is almost 70 she was born in the late 60s is this insane clown posse some american cartoon?

who am i kidding.
nowadays developer and company always force end user/people to use their "default" interface and obsolete the old one.
let just hope AOSP or any Android ROM still let the user use the old 3 button. the three button aint broken so what gives?

I'm avoiding it. Oreo is perfect

google wants to copy apple as usual? the portrait recents is awful as well. android has been going downhill since kitkat.

lol that's not how years work

seriously fuck you google.

Attached: .gif (1000x563, 1.84M)

Nigga what

I miss pie controls so much for web browsing what the FUCK Google.

>hurr, let's default the volume buttons to media, because it's not like we make an OS for phones or anything.

>what is adjusting options

That's asinine to make the user go into options to adjust their ringer volume.

That would be like making the volume buttons on your tv remote default to contrast, unless you went into the menu.

Go into the menu and change its default action to ringer volume you brainlette

not an option in stock pie, retard.

it's just lollipop 5.5.1

OK that is asinine then I wonder how many "skins" change that and skins is a retarded name for them I blame linus

I like pie.

Attached: apple-pie.jpg (696x696, 81K)

None of them do. You legit have to buy a 3.99 app to get back the ability to have your volume rocker change the notification volume.

The only way to change ringer/notification volume in Pie, is to go into the setting and change it, and it now plays your ringer everytime you adjust it.

The UI changes are shit, the new adaptive brightness is shit, and a few apps started crashing or having weird ui issues after the update. Security updates are the only reason I haven't downgraded to Oreo.

I thought one UI did

I heard screen mirroring has been taken out
I'm waiting for official lineageos 16 so i havent tried it out
Is it true, are they taking features out for no reason?

It's pretty good, but I'm a pixelfag. I wouldn't even mind if they ditch the back button in Q

Attached: Q-Judge-q-star-trek-10759421-694-530.jpg (694x530, 80K)

I don't get all the bellyaching about gesture nav in P. If you don't like it you can disable it and use the old on-screen buttons. It's a little embarrassing for Goog that they fucked it up so bad though. BB10 got gesture nav right almost 10 years ago.

Dont have it yet but Im afraid of the new quick settings menu. It doesnt expand anymore

you know there is a app for PIE control? Use the old version its much better than the new ones.

Why is it taking so long for stable custom ROMs based on Pie to release? It's been about seven months since it initially got released, and LineageOS 16.0 still isn't out. Not to mention I flashed a Pie ROM on my N5X recently, and everything works but mobile data and detecting the SIM card, which makes the ROM unusable.

>imagine using anything but vibrate
Seriously, though. I haven't upgraded yet, but this change is pretty much at the top of my pros list of reasons to upgrade. Fuck trying to change the media volume and turning some stupid ringer or some stupid do not disturb mode on instead.
The slider next to the volume buttons, where your finger already is, obviously, also looks really nice.

All of these arguments about pie gestures vs awful on-screen buttons
>tfw Motorola's™ comfy One Button Nav® doesn't have any of these problems.

Majority of flagship phones receive major updates for 2 years. The iPhone 5S is nearing 6 years and is still getting updates.

Google's UI is so offensively ugly. Thank fuck for custom roms/launchers, even touchjizz looks better than this.

Is Fuschia going to fix Android's fragmentation problem? I assume it'll be released before Android Z?

You can't solve fragmentation without taking away the freedom from manufacturers, and that was why they had signed for android in the first place.
If anything they would develop their forks ala MIUI and negotiate with google on per-app basis

No. That's the fault of (((ARM))) not having a unified BIOS to allow a single, universal ROM to be installed on the (((ARM))) devices and keep it updated across every single device.

On-screen buttons are also shit desu.

No. Fragmentation is a problem because (((ARM))) isn't standardized and it gives manufacturers way too much freedom. Look at x86. There's android x86 and CM x86. Both can be installed on literally any x86 desktop/laptop/tablet. Now look at (((ARM))). There's literally a separate ROM for every different CPU/RAM/Screen/other hardware configuration and installing the "wrong" one will permanently brick the device. (((ARM))) is the cancer fragmenting android. The only way to keep Fuchsia from getting fragmented is to either force manufacturers to comply to a standard BIOS or to abandon ARM in favour of x86 or another architecture which will get a proper adaptation from the start.

I just use MIUI and everything from marshmallow to pie looks and acts the exact same. It doesn't really make Android any different in this case so i don't really care.

>he cant hide the navbar
What shit version of android are you using?

Thanks for my daily dose

I've got a Sony XZ1 Compact (which is running basically stock Android), and battery life seems better than what it was on Oreo. No weird battery draining / wakelocks either anymore.

The clock is on the left?
Why would they do that?

>Literally doubled battery life (It can last 2 days instead of 1)
>Interface is ok, , having a most-used apps bar is really convenient

I think it's good
t. Xiaomi Mi A1 user

Any OnePlus users that updated? My bootloader is unlocked so I'll need to format my phone to update and not sure it's worth it.

I fail to see what's the point of zooming out the apps so much when in overview. You still can't really see other apps but the one selected currently is like half the size.

Sauce

I have op5 and mi a2. I like the navigation and recent apps menu on oxygenOS. Android one is fine as well but I just use the old style navigation bar on it. NO swipe up for recent menu and again swipe up for apps menu for me. If they drop the chin completely then I will consider it. probably
Which version of oneplus?

It does eliminate the navbar space, check the setting on the botton

I hate that it ruined my WiFi scanner apps (by limiting them to one scan every 30 seconds) that I use for work

I am still on Oreo!!
I want our where is my Pie Moto?
Where?
Where?
Where?
When?
When?
When?

Attached: 15505970884530.png (1224x693, 1.13M)

I got OP5

Install LineageOS

P2XL here.
Battery life has been great, better than it was on 8.
New swipe navigation is garbage, but thankfully you can still switch back on the P1 and P2. I feel sorry for P3 owners here.
Play Store app rollouts are still bullshit but that's been a problem for years. At least the fucking system update now button works now.
Goog still has a shit ton of work to do to unify the look across their apps. Even with new Material, their app designs are all over the fucking place.

>hide navbar
>need to swipe up then tap to use buttons
kys
it's absurd how much google has been regressing while samsung has been progressing on UI. One UI looks like a waste of space but is actually a godsend for humongous phones.

Attached: .png (1434x773, 568K)

>Just buy the phone goy.

Notch / Punch holes screens means the top right corner isn't usable for some phones

What about Huawei phones?

Still on nougat, don't give a shit.

Attached: 1550202397140.jpg (764x1024, 207K)

my keyboard (G-Board) glitches and spazzes the fuck out half the time I'm using it in a non-Google app. It just werks.

Just werks on £120 Xiaomi mi a1

still shit compared to android 4

Attached: android4.jpg (600x333, 152K)

oxygenos is better than lineageos and pie is working fine on it

TouchWiz is different universe. Up until 4.2 android didn't have connectivity toggles in notification drawer, for example.

Kino.

Fucking millenials.

This looks like completely dated garbage.

Clock on the left of status bar has taken a bit of getting used to. Like the rest it except it all seems a bit iOS-style 'rounded edges' with everything. I preferred the more angular visual approach.

Only major thing really fucking annoying me is when you go in settings/messages or such like, it expands the title so that 'SETTINGS' fills up half the fucking vertical space with nothing but blank background and the title text. You can flick it up to minimise it but it doesn't remember this after you close the window for whatever reason (on Note 9).

get rid of that bigass nav bar then come back to me

here, pic related to show my point

Attached: 20190220_185212.jpg (1440x2960, 371K)

Did it really? What the fuck?

terrible on battery

gestures are fucking retarded

>Fucking millenials.
How do they work?