What's it running on? Jets and high tech military stuff in general

What's it running on? Jets and high tech military stuff in general.

Attached: DARPA-would-like-to-know-your-location.jpg (1200x813, 135K)

Other urls found in this thread:

perforce.com/blog/qac/jsf-coding-standard-cpp
youtube.com/watch?v=P_KmFJ2gGzw),
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

javascript

unf thats sexy

JP-8?

ada

c++. There's a guideline document by starsoup about the c++ coding standards that will be used for it.

perforce.com/blog/qac/jsf-coding-standard-cpp

Damn. Sounds like the Air Force knows what they're doing then. Keep on being you, Air Force and F-35. Cool. Good night, bros.

Try to imagine for a second, every single thing wrong with government contract software work, try to imagine government waste like the air force's $640 toilet seats, healthcare.gov and every million dollar queue randomizer android app the US government has ever contracted (youtube.com/watch?v=P_KmFJ2gGzw), and now, multiply it by a million, and there's your F35 operating system.

f-22 was ada, f-35 is c++/

based

Minix and millions of lines of C++

C++, normally running on vxworks or some other realtime system.

>source, used to work at lockheed martin

Kerosine.

Dunno about the burgers, but the current Russian jets have all controls entirely hydraulic and a mechanical lever system for redundancy.

It's quite fascinating, the fuel pump has a spheroid body that turns in three directions depending on engine current RPM, air pressure and throttle and (all sensors are hydraulic and mechanical) and a roller reads the position of spheroid as a solution of an equation for desired fuel pressure output of the pump.
The nozzle mechanization is also automatic and purely hydraulic.
The afterburner ignition you guess it has no electric components, there's a special stream sprinkler that sprays burning fuel from the main combustion chamber to the afterburner, then it opens the fuel valve.

Since having an hydraulic fluid system on board is dead weight, all aircraft mechanization is done with fuel pressure.

As far the electronic systems go I know that they use large through-hole components and connect them with a thick copper wire to make sure anybody could repair the damage in the field with just a soldering iron.

F-35 is garbage, jack of all trades and master of none.
the JSF was a mistake.
F-22 5ever!1

pure hate and anger but also sadness

kek

The fuel pump is literally 1940s tech, I remember reading the bf109 was first to implent mechanical calculated fuel-air mixture

Fuck no, F16 forever.

i have heard that a lot of the older stuff (icbms) runs on assembly

I have a question also why is there millions of lines of code in modern cars and how does that even look like writing, developing, managing, fixing before it goes out in production?

Now writing software for modern jets must be even more fucking ridiclious, so how or who does manage that? What kind of neckbeards are doing it and for how much? How does one even get into developing software for planes? It sounds like a cool job, but I can't imagine how it's done. Are these people highly proficient and trained in CS, math, mech engineering and physics or what? Holy shit. How do you even come home from work and think to yourself and keep for yourself that you are programming a fucking state of the art plane.
Also c++ is used? Truly remarkable.

Attached: tenor.gif (452x308, 3.28M)

Also who the hell plans out the electronic system and programs it, fuck me. I understand there must be previous fundamental blueprints you work from, but fuck me, it sounds like getting a job in this field is almost impossible unless you are the top of the top of the top of the class.

you sound like an idiot

>How do you even come home from work and think to yourself and keep for yourself that you are programming a fucking state of the art plane.

More like programming subcomponent WAPR-S-C63 of subcomponent WAPR-C32, which is part of subcomponent WAPR, a subcomponent of a component which implements sanity checks for the backup altimeter.

lol you just do shit according to standards

Why are jets so complicated to fly? Wouldn't it be better to reduce the amount of buttons in the cockpit for the pilot by smart automation? I mean fuck my life I tried to play the F-16 simulator and trying to figure out all the button on this old plane from the 70s out is a nightmare. I wonder how many buttons that technical monstrosity must have.

t. low iq

My brother works on programming different systems for airplanes, middle systems, rockets, fighter jets etc. very high class top secret stuff, armed guards in office 24/7, can’t tell me anything else

The F-35 is far more capable than F-22.
They also have different roles, so comparing the two is retarded.
>Wouldn't it be better to reduce the amount of buttons in the cockpit for the pilot by smart automation
What does "smart automation" even mean?

That sounds pretty cool. I'd like to see a teardown of that shit. Maintenance sounds like a nightmare though. Not sure if it's worth it, but nobody knows how sensitive to an EMP military avionics are.

> armed guards in office
Kek reminded me of something
> be 2002
> dad wants to take me to work and show me around on weekend
> hardly anyone at work
> he works for the ***
> go into office
> he forgets to turn off silent alarm
> when we leave the room there are armed guards in military uniforms at the door with "we ain't fucking around" rifles and bullet proof vests
> dad explains everything and they show him how to turn off alarm
Surprise it never made it into the news.
He also had one of those red phones to the president and told me not to pick It up because of that, however I didn't believe him and always wanted to pick it up.
It was like 9 years later when I learned that the red phones are real and had one of those "oh fuck" moments when I realize how close I came to talking to Bush

>The F-35 is far more capable than F-22.
>They also have different roles, so comparing the two is retarded.
Oxymoron

I doubt it'd be that hard. Compartmentalize every computer. Nothing should be responsible for a system outside of its scope. Two or three of each computer for redundancy as a general rule of thumb, depending on importance of course. Redundant computers should be connected to independent power supplies, actuators, etc.

If you really want a good example of aircraft automation and system architecture, pickup a copy of the Airbus A320 FCOM sometime.

>What's it running on?
compressed air

>but nobody knows how sensitive to an EMP military avionics are.
They do know.
Not at all.
Both can perform each others role, though particularly F-22 limited when it comes to A2G ordnance and sensors.

I've played most of the the Falcon 4 games too, mostly Allied Force, but also a little of the original when I was a freetard and refused to use Windows and Allied Force wouldn't run, and a little Falcon BMS when I upgraded my computer.
The cockpit of the f-16 is not that complicated. It's made like that to give the pilots and the maintenance technicians more control over the aircraft in case things go wrong, to diagnose and work around issues. If some system fails they can't just park the aircraft to the side of the road, especially in a combat situation.
Sure, you could make most of the switches into a nice software that holds your hand, but that's too slow for the pilot to use while in flight. Plus switches work even when the computer screens don't.
>They do know.
Yeah, sure, I mean nobody who's not working on those projects knows.

Maybe don't talk about stuff you don't know about then

What do you mean?

Attached: Erlang_logo.svg.png (1200x1052, 41K)

>What's it running on?
Aviation fuel.

THICK.

>it can't land without a wing
pathetic

Attached: f15.jpg (736x572, 77K)

Attached: SKJV4.png (454x339, 61K)

python most likely. it just werks

Simulink :^)

>F-35 is garbage, jack of all trades and master of none.
Which is why they addressed this and produce different variants with different features.

Attached: WorldF35Participation.jpg (3499x3029, 364K)

That's a lot of percentage points

kek, this is probably more accurate

individual components probably get farmed out to subcontractors that have to meet a spec

kerosene

I actually make car electronics and programing. It's not as hard as you think compared to many other electronics jobs. The code is large but is usually using a fuckton of libraries (that's where the millions of line come from) and the programming itself is not that hard. It's more about being familiar with the microcontroller and knowing a decent amount of C and a few other languages. Code controls MCU, this MCU controls heating, parking sensors, cameras and as much bullshit there is. The harder part of it is electronics and the even harder part is keeping up with standards, security requirements and reliability. Not making things fry themselves if used incorrectly, making sure the weather and mostly temperature don't fuck up the electronics, making sure voltage drops and so on don't fuck up something important that could lead to accidents and so on. The work is also divided by people with different expertise so everyone is doing what he knows.

One of the key parts of the JSF is the fact that it was developed with international partners - often times those sub contractors lobbied both the U.S federal government, and Lockheed Martin, in order to try and get some of those sweet dollars. BAE basically wanted every single one of their subcontractors in Britain to get a finger in the pie. The Turks did too, and the Japanese get to build theirs...

Part of the reason it was so expensive.

my fav is the Canadians wanting every snow and ice related feature under the sun to the point where they had to be offered a special custom variant and then Cuckdue got in on the fuck america and fuck canada platform.

fuck off pixy

Fascinating, good post

Seems this is the correct answer lole.
Cheeky
Pure hate anger and sadness from the people working on the X-32 program
This. F16 actually defeated the F35 in most dogfighting sims
Really fascinating stuff here. Like how fuel pressure is used, very clever. Us burgers seem to be intent on the fly-by-wire system, but Russian stuff seems more well built overall. Those things are built like tanks

I worked on the OS for predator and reaper drones. It was originally named DIOS (Distributed Integration Operating System). Eventually somebody pointed out Dios means God in Spanish which could get really bad publicity. We renamed it the Patriot OS.

With all the bugs?

js for the backend
xml for the gui
the system itself is special military gentoo distro
also using tor to spy in space

>Patriot OS

Oh boy.
Does it have a cool logo at least?
They are usually pretty careful with the names but the logos are like octopuses attacking the rest of the earth and shit.

>Now writing software for modern jets must be even more fucking ridiclious, so how or who does manage that? What kind of neckbeards are doing it and for how much?

If you get involved in programs like that you have to know your shit in and out. The facilities that does programming for shit like the F-35 doesn't have internet connections for the workstations, the programmers write everything in C from brain alone. Doing a quick google for something isn't possible as all frequencies in these isolated areas are killed.

>doesn't have internet connections for the >workstations, the programmers write everything >in C from brain alone.
fucking morons they can just writing everything on paper and send the script through a trained American falcon

I work on software for commercial jets. Its all pretty similar to military. C and ADA are the primary languages.

if injection is so good then why they lost against carburetors

That is the stupidest larp I have ever seen in my entire life
t. cybersecurity engineer with experience securing military corps

based erlang poster

>That's a lot of percentage points
Well, why did you think it was expensive?

Look up MIL-STD-498. It is old and no longer used but is an indication of the processes used in development of mil spec stuff. Also it is freely available.

F-35 had a regression in the radar suite so clearly they are not compliant. Such regressions in system test levels are grounds for beheading.

if only.....

>it has stacks on its wings
is that a jewish f35?
wtf!?????

Not him but how is that wrong? Are you saying they do have Internet access?
If Manning couldn't sneak in an USB and had to pretend an RW-DVD was an audio CD, why would they allow connections to random sites?

Retarded LARP. Joe schmuckatelli at subcontracter D developing software to control one valve for a hose connected to a sub piece of a piece of something is not under armed guard. Very few things in the military are actually that secreted and guarded, and that’s Area 51 type shit

The f35 is an overpriced piece of garbage, the f22 is the shit. Prove me wrong. Protip: you can't

Military Ganoo/Leenox.

Your opinion doesn't count. Prove me wrong. Protip: you can't

They usually do have internet access, but the whole network is protected by very strict firewalls configured by netsec people. These enterprise firewalls are very advanced, they can collaborate with all the devices on the network so if you somehow gain access to a router for example they can analyse the network behaviour and set an alarm if that device does anything out of the ordinary. Forget about uploading a meterpreter shell to an insecure but low privilege device and escalate the privilages, these networks rarely have weak points. They get audited every year by pentesters too. Only the best pentesters can do anything with a network like that, there are tricks of course to bypass the constant scanning(like dns-based payload delivery, writing your own exploits to bypass signature-based scanning, etc) but its really really advanced stuff. They also have netsec admins on-site who are working in shifts to constantly monitor the network. Military engineers know their shit and they have to take multiple opsec trainings too.

That is the stupidest larp I have ever seen in my entire life
t. cybersecurity engineer with experience securing military corps

Most government computers are shitty dells running vista and 7

the F-22 is all about thrust-vectoring.. the next generation fighter-jet... then the USA decided to get the rest of us countries together & help pay for F-35 thrust-vector hover-mobile; too bad it must dump half its fuel to hover still- piece of junk. No-ones impressed by basic propulsion engines. You guys are seriously primitive. This shit is boring... you are all boring.

>Military engineers know their shit
lol that's why they still use Windows XP or even older OSes

Ok retard

You forgot to point out that it makes the jet shutdown when flying at certain angles lmao

You're maneuvering it wrong

Ugly shit compared to the f22

Sounds like you want to fly this.

Attached: arv.gif (891x707, 189K)

UUUU

Namefags get the rope

>What's it running on?
Tons of leftover Wii's and 3DS's and Switches that feed right into the engine.

NT4.

In the USMC our BFTs (the shit you see in movies where it shows a live topographical map with all the jets/vehicles etc) run on a windows 98 themed linux

I'd rather have the best combat aircraft in the world. The F-15

Airbus runs on Gentoo.

Attached: 4993.jpg (1024x652, 395K)

Hasn't been that way for a good minute.
Good lord you guys, they have 2 fucking computers under their desk. One is on a separate air-gapped network, and the other is the corporate network which does have internet access. All the sensitive shit happens on one, and the other is used to look up "how do loop in python".

>You guys are seriously primitive. This shit is boring... you are all boring.
OK buddy, let's see your VTOL fighter jet.

Not QNX?

There are controls for every little thing on airplanes because it's 100x easier to flick on the backup power or landing lights if there's a switch instead of navigating through touchscreen menus.
Car manufacturers still haven't gotten this, and while you can take your eyes off the sky for 10+ seconds in a plane, you can't safely take your eyes off the road at all.

C++ but it turned out to be a horrible, horrible failure.

Take the Meteor missile. It was tested on the JAS Gripen due to its good software, and had every possible feature on the JAS by 2016.

The F-35 will be compatible in, wait for it... 2025, because of software issues.

The Gripen's software is written in C (some of it generated by other DSL's) and everything is formally checked using Coq, so that the Gripen is formally proven to be bug-free. It also has a modular design with a microkernel OS that makes it easy for equipment manufacturers to make "apps" to support their hardware, meaning that basically every new missile or sensor gets tested on the Gripen first, or becomes fully compatible within a few months.

Software quality is the most underrated quality of a jet fighter imho, considering how much of a massive difference it makes operationally.

It runs on fuel

The failures of past have been noted and there is right now, budged pending, a $16bn rewrite of the whole F-35 software for TR3 to be more Agile™ and open architecture. Legacy platforms can't compete with this new 5th generation development model.

Su57 > *

Lmao you have no fucking clue what you're talking about.

so it will be worse then
rewrite = turning one shitty system into 2 shitty systems

if they could have done it, right. they would have.

This guy is correct.
t.works for a NAVAIR contractor

it's not hard until someone fucks up and costs the company billions

Attached: toyotaC.png (906x639, 96K)