>Example gaming builds; click on blue titles to see notes
pcpartpicker.com/user/pcbg/saved/
>How to assemble a PC
[YouTube] how to build a pc. (embed)
Want help?
>State the budget & CURRENCY
>Post at least some attempt at a parts list
>List your uses, e.g. Gaming, Video Editing, VM Work
>For monitors, include purpose (e.g., photo editing, gaming) and graphics card pairing (if applicable)

CPUs based on current pricing:
>Athlon 200GE - HTPC, web browsing, bare minimum gaming (can be OC'd on some MSI mobos)
>R3 2200G - Recommended minimum gaming
>R5 2600/X - Good gaming & multithreaded work use CPUs
>i7-9700k - Good for gaming
>R7 2700/X - Best high-end CPU on a non-HEDT platform
>Threadripper/Used Xeon - HEDT

RAM:
>Always choose at least a two stick kit; 2x 8GB is recommended
>CPUs benefit from high speed RAM; 3000CL15 or 3400CL16 is ideal
>All AMD chipsets and Intel Z chipsets support XMP

Graphics cards based on current pricing:
>Used cards can be had for a steal; inquire about warranty
1080p
>GTX 1060 6gb, RX 570, RX 580, RX 590 for older or less demanding titles
>RTX 2060
1440p
>RTX 2060
>RTX 2080 if you're looking for very high (100+) framerate and you have a CPU and monitor to match
2160p (4k)
>RTX 2080
>RTX 2080 Ti is better, but very expensive

General:
>PLAN YOUR BUILD AROUND YOUR MONITOR IF GAMING
>A 256GB or larger SSD is almost mandatory; consider m.2 form factor
>Bottleneck checkers are worthless
>rentry.co/pcbg-more

Previous:

Attached: 1545820345932.jpg (683x683, 79K)

Other urls found in this thread:

cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Core-i9-9900K-vs-AMD-Ryzen-7-2700X/4028vs3958
youtube.com/watch?v=95Ujni7-fVM
imgur.com/a/6NcgCxW
youtube.com/watch?v=uXepIWi4SgM
pcpartpicker.com/list/dZXbgw
pcpartpicker.com/list/dxNPq4
asrock.com/mb/AMD/Fatal1ty AB350 Gaming K4/index.asp
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Reposting from last thread.

So after some looking around, it seems the 9900k out performs the 2700X by as many as 15-20 FPS at 1440p which is decent. However in the same reviews they all mentioned temps were very high. Tom's Hardware was using an industrial chiller that kept their water at 20C at all times and Kryonaut, and their 9900k was still hitting 75-80C under sustained all core loads. The fucker is a furnace. AiO is mandatory for the sorts of clocks that make it worth buying in the first place. I.e. 5.0GHz+

In short, the 9900k is the absolute best consumer chip available for mainstream gaming, encoding, etc beating out the 2700X by a bit. But I'd have to be willing to get a top end board with hefty VRMs, a top tier AiO or custom loop to actually handle the heat load, all for roughly ~15% more performance. I think I'll wait to see what 7nm brings. Or maybe Intel will get their 10nm to matter.

>Intel i7 being compared to R5 2600/X as good for gaming
RIP lmao

Can anybody suggest a good 1080p monitor to go with this build?

Attached: Build.png (744x474, 40K)

>9900k beating the 2700X
>heats up like a furnace and needs an industrial chiller that keeps the water at 20 degrees celsius just so it can work without heat issues
Wew lad, enough said as is. AIO is for chumps lmao

You get 15% better performance but is it worth the louder fan noise, hotter room temperature, and big price increase trying to get a compatible motherboard and afternarket cooler?

Aim for something 200 to 300 bucks. I own a pretty dinky 1080p Asus monitor, and you'll get your money's worth if you get something a little more expensive.

>AIO
More like you need a custom loop for it. AIO failed the 5.0ghz test.

>Custom Loop
Jeez, those christie's cookies are back at it again.

I'm the user from last thread asking about running a 2080Ti with an overclocked R7-1700X. I was on the fence about just buying the "latest and greatest" but it seems the 9900k comes with too many pitfalls for me to bother. if my 250w tdp capable air cooler can't control it at stock, I want no part of it.

Time to wait I suppose.

Yeah mate, the 15% difference ain't worth crap.

Just go for a 2700X, update your mobo bios and you'll be fine.

Nah I'm just gonna wait till 7nm Ryzen rather than go from my current 14nm to 12nm. The ~3% performance I'd gain or so isn't worth the cost imo.

Alright. I'm hoping for Radeon to knock it outta' the park with Navi.

Attached: amd shill.jpg (2620x3416, 1.74M)

I have to stick with Nvidia unfortunately. Bought a G-sync monitor like a good goy. So Navi better bring some serious big dick performance for me to switch not only GPU, but monitor. The last AMD card I owned was the day one Fury X. It was shit

I want to clone my old PC's drive to my new drive so I don't have to reformat, what are my options?

Attached: 1550643583667.png (500x1490, 25K)

Ah damn. Nvidia's abandoning G-Sync, so it won't do you good to have one lying around. They're moving onto freesync now.

I of course didn't get the memo until after I had bought the monitor. Whatever. It works well. I don't see why it wouldn't continue doing so.

>3400 and 3600 RAM

For what purpose?

I'd rather not invest freesync or g-sync monitors to be honest. There'll be always some good monitor without those perks.

Slow RAM + AMD = poor performance + stuttering

This general is cancer.

something like a d15 is minimum for a 9900k and its not even worth ocing. at most u are gonna get 5ghz at sub 1.3v
better to just leave it at stock with power delivery unlocked and not some shitty bios that overvolts like crazy and temps will be fine

But anything over 3200 is pointless. 3000 is entirely sufficient.

> adds an extra cooler to the CPU that already has a stock cooler
> leaves an intel CPU without one
> picks the most high-end parts for AMD for no reason
get a load of this guy right here

There'll be Intards and AyyMDrones afoot. What did you expect from Jow Forums?

are you retarded or pretending to be? watch the video if you can't read

I don't understand the point of it. /pcbg/ threads make Messi v Ronaldo arguments look like the height of intellectual rigour.

I wonder why

Attached: picks the most high-end parts for AMD for no reason.png (712x175, 76K)

No user, you're just an intard.

>But anything over 3200 is pointless.
That's not completely true, even on Intel you'll keep getting gains in 1% lows as you increase your memory speeds. Whether it's worth it is another matter (it's not).

Point of it is to just talk about PC building. Some yeah, are total fucking retards. But there are rare moments when we help out our fellow Anons find something they need.

It used to not be so bad. Back when Intel was the clear cut winner in every metric regardless if budget. With Ryzen now offering a viable alternative, people argue.
Depends on the timings too not just speed. Ryzen has shown better performance with CL14 3200MHz compared to CL16 3600MHz.

>With Ryzen now offering a viable alternative, people argue
AYYMDRONES RYZE UP

MSI or Asus motherboard?

I like ASUS BIOS better

ASUS if mobo is Strix
MSI if mobo is Tomahawk
Everywhere else, dunno what to tell you.

Just buy an ASRock mobo

Asus. MSI has meh VRMs usually (going based off FX days here) and their BIOS is always trash.

Asus or ASrock. Avoid gigashit at all costs.

Why does Gigabyte get shit for their mobos? I'm just curious.

Not him but their software is abysmal.

>roughly ~15% more performance
seems like 21% on average here cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Core-i9-9900K-vs-AMD-Ryzen-7-2700X/4028vs3958

and since u like gaymen fps in some scenarios i see 50%+ more fps to a 2700x/[email protected] pic related

>top end board with hefty VRMs
aorus elite for 200 buck is fine

>a top tier AiO or custom loop
280mm or a d15 is fine

Attached: 99999.jpg (2765x879, 619K)

>CL14 3200MHz compared to CL16 3600MHz
Source? The 16 CL ram should only have a tenth of a nanosecond more latency once frequency is accounted for.

Yup those are all at 1080p on normal preset. If you notice I specifically mentioned 1440p and usually on very high/ultra preset. "Raw" CPU performance means nothing to me when my real world use puts them closer.
>Gigabyte board
Never
>D15 is fine
Not according to the various reviews I've seen. If you're talking bone stock clocks, sure. But most of the 15-21% performance increase we see is from running a 5.0GHz OC. And even at stock 4.7GHz, with an extended all core load (encoding), the chip still hits 80C on decent AiO units.

I'm not knocking the performance of the 9900k. It reigns supreme. But I'm not willing to do the amount of shit necessary to run it. If I had no system at all right now, I'd get the i9 platform. But I do, and the increase isn't worth it for me

Why do people still score on frames per second? Frame times are literally better for bench marking.

Common usage vs. Correct numbers.

I think you can tell who's the winner here.

>I specifically mentioned 1440p
sure the more gpu bottlenecked the less difference the cpu makes

>Gigabyte board
>Never
ok get something else in green (pic related)

>Not according....
here's der bauer being autistic with his 9900k on a d15 youtube.com/watch?v=95Ujni7-fVM

Attached: 6j8i71dbrxv11.png (1488x2008, 173K)

Just buy an i5-8400 if you want 1440p

>4.7GHz, with an extended all core load (encoding), the chip still hits 80C on decent AiO units.
and? 80 is fine 100c is not

280mm stock 9900k stress testing max below 80c imgur.com/a/6NcgCxW

>Frame times are literally better for bench marking.
0.1% and 1% lows not good enough?
youtube.com/watch?v=uXepIWi4SgM

Something to consider. I don't have a D15, but I have a comparable unit from BQ!
The 6 core i5's have shown inconsistent frame times and fps dips. I'll avoid those.
Still hot. Still extra heat I'm dumping into my room. All not a huge deal, but my 1700X OC barely reaches 60C. Its a change I'd have to get used to.
I meant CL16-3200MHz sorry. Must have misread the chart.

I'm mobile right now and can't post an image (thanks for the range ban Hiro! You cunt) but if you look around, there are some games that prefer CL14-3200MHz to the CL16 variant by as much as 8 fps. Hell even CL16-4200MHz was only 3-4 fps ahead of CL14-3200MHz.

>The 6 core i5's have shown inconsistent frame times and fps dips.
LMAO what

Go read a review from anyone doing any sort of in depth CPU comparisons. Games like BF and Far Cry all suffer from frame time issues on the i5's. It's not all games, but it's some.

oh no no noh

Attached: i5 oh no no.jpg (892x759, 191K)

Do you play BF and Far Cry?

Amd hasnt made a decent gpu since the 7970. Why do you guys keep waiting for them to make a good one?

Optimism?

Whether you like AMD or not, everyone should hope they make a good range soon simply to help the market as a whole

Far Cry yes, BF not really since Bad Company 2.
>inB4 hurr your game choices are shit, so the problem doesn't exist!
If it can happen on some games it may happen ok others.
The 7970, r9-290X/390X, Fury X, RX 480/580, and Vega 56/64 are all GCN based. Which means regardless if what magic AMD attempts, they're still limited by their GCN architecture. Navi is supposedly going to be non GCN based and on 7nm. So a leap forward in node size, as well as potential for stupid performance.

What should I do? Write to them and tell them to pack it in?

AMD dominates the mid range market. People who expect a high end offering are always going to be disapppointed. I'd rather take a RX 580 8GB for $160 over a GTX 1060 6GB for $180

Then buy a i7-8700k

Attached: fc5-1440p.png (892x694, 62K)

not the same user but while some graphics setting may increase frame times by 50%, that 50% in frame times will mean vastly different fps depending on whether your running at 60 fps or at 200 fps by default.

>Navi is supposedly not going to be GCN based

That's where you're wrong kiddo.

Wow cool dude enjoy your rebrandeon 480

Is a 2080 TI worth $1000? $1200+ seemed like way too much but I see them on ebay selling for 1k.

pcpartpicker.com/list/dZXbgw
Anything I should change?

Is this a joke build? Read the OP and get back to us, this level of performance should be no more than 800USD

>pcpartpicker.com/list/dZXbgw
Go for a Super Flower PSU, something from EVGA. Also, stay away from Gigabyte motherboards.

>people literally pay intel to start fires in their homes
Why?

Attached: 1544418114932.jpg (3264x2448, 726K)

But there are more people with 1060s...

I was considering that yes but I'm leery because of their TIM not being soldered. Will run unnecessarily hot when encoding. That and I lose 2c4t for encoding purposes. Idk what I'm going to do. I may just go full retarded and get the 9900k regardless of it's furnace like qualities. At this point I'm considering building just an Intel based build solely for gaming, and leaving my existing Ryzen setup as a dedicated encoding machine.

My friend wants to upgrade his shitty ASUS K53 and I'm trying to help him.

We already figured out most of it:
Intel Pentium B960 -> Core i7-2640M ($15)
4GB DDR3 -> 8GB ($20)
GeForce 610M 2GB -> GeForce GT540M 2GB ($45 for the whole motherboard off Aliexpress)
DVD+RW -> 120GB SSD ($20)

Now he also told me he'd want a better display which is pretty tricky as the best one the whole series came with is TN 200-nit 1366x768.
Would it just be possible to drop in a 1080p panel and dual-LVDS connector from the ASUS N53 which is almost the same?

buy amd cpu.
ditch ssd. they are a meme.

>havent played video games in 13 months
just built a PC. anything big that I should check out?

If you have money to burn then a 8700k for gaming and a Threadripper for video encoding.

fort nite

Hyperdimension Neptunia

Made it a lot better for you while cutting off a few hundred dollars
pcpartpicker.com/list/dxNPq4

Yeah I was considering a 8700k for gaming. Then a TR 2990WX for encoding and VMs. 2 top tier machines for their specific uses rather than a single machine that does an "OK" job at both.

Go to /v/ and ask them what the worst games they've played in the last year are, and then play those since you know they're good

>not tomahawk mobo
>not 3200 ram
>ssd meme
>that shitty gpu with a shit cooler
>full atx case + matx mobo
you only made it worse. please don’t post or “help” people ever again.

>ditch ssd. they are a meme.

Attached: -hS4ZYR5.jpg (900x900, 47K)

Ace combat 7, re2 remake, both are cracked

>>ssd meme
>please don’t post or “help” people ever again.
please don’t post or “help” people ever again.

Attached: 1534808522230.jpg (601x419, 87K)

Fuck off HDD shill you're fooling nobody.

This is bait in case you needed a reminder.

My mobo Fatal1ty AB350 Gaming K4 asrock.com/mb/AMD/Fatal1ty AB350 Gaming K4/index.asp

And I'm trying to oc my ram but I can't see any XMP option for it, only manual or auto, does that mean my ram (8gb crucial 2400) isn't compatible?

>SSD
>meme

Look harder, it's somewhere for sure. Look for advanced oc tools and such.

nice samefag

friendly reminder to always use 5400rpm hard drives as rotational velocidensity will degrade your data if it's spinning at higher speeds

I want to pick up some ram for my old pc. do I just look for the cheapest ddr3 1600 CAS11 ram I can find?

Eh, go for something G.Skill.

enjoy your limited read and write cycles, ssdcuck

close. almost full jackpot you retarded hdd-nigger

Attached: nice.jpg (377x127, 10K)

I'll try more later, but before I did found a bunch of options in other advanced sections but nothing regarding XMP, also strange my menu is lacking some options (ram) when compared with older fws, mine is 4.60 but I've seen pics 2.xx and 3.xx that have XMP etc.

theres some 8gb patriot sticks for 30, but some g skill sticks for 40. is it oerth the extra 10?