Ubuntu is replacing apt with snap. What do you think of this?

Ubuntu is replacing apt with snap. What do you think of this?

Attached: file.png (731x611, 114K)

Other urls found in this thread:

blueprints.launchpad.net/ubuntu/ spec/package-management-default-snap
harmful.cat-v.org/software/dynamic-linking/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Source: blueprints.launchpad.net/ubuntu/ spec/package-management-default-snap
Approved by Mark Shuttleworth.

nice

Attached: RU_nice_weather.gif (1280x920, 3.01M)

>sudo snap install
cringe. Thank god i started using debian a year ago.

Attached: 1550027447995.jpg (640x480, 38K)

Alias apt=snap

Last time I tried Snap there were still nonsensical permissions issues that prevented them from being useful.

The absolute state of Ooboontoo

Snap is trash. Appimage is way better.

Ubunti is botnet trash.only worse is hadhat

Yeah, I saw this a little while ago. I'll simply cease using Ubuntu. I want shared libraries, not bundled crap pollution my disk space. Plus I still haven't seen anyone address the issue of security, in that lazy developers may choose to bundle insecure libraries since they can now be responsible for dependencies.

So now I'll have like 1000 filesystems mounted and shit?

>mac style
These faggots will never learn.

time to move to something else then
i'm not using that insecure shit

I guess, I will fuck off back to windows.

why no use yum

So Ubuntu is going from ~48,000 available packages to ~250 available packages. This will never, ever happen. It'll be funny if it does though

fucking DROPPED

Like it or not, but this is pretty much how Win/Mac operating systems work, and bundled libraries is the behavior that normies expect. Rather than having a package manager that has to manage libraries, the typical user will want to either get their software from an app store or just jewgle the program's name and get the ".exe file" or ".dmg/.app file", both of which come with that same sort of bundled libraries situation, for better or for worse (better for end user convenience, worse for security and lightweight design).
This is the future that some people do want to see for Linux. They want this behavior replicated on the GNU/Linux platform in one way or another. You'll see many cases where people will call for there to be only one package manager, or that the different "fragmented" package managers (apt, yum, pacman) should not exist. Make of that what you will.

Then I'll use AppImage which is superior in every way

lincucks btfo by based Billy G yet again

Consumers are retarded and want an "app store" for everything, news at 11. But why force this when package managers are what really distinguish distros from other OSs?
Plus Ubuntu already has a software manager frontend for apt, complete with icons and whatever else. So really the issue here is keeping up-to-date packages but then what would the point of an LTS distro be?

nix is superior to snap in every way except distributing (((proprietary))) software, which is the ultimate goal of snap

Name one thing about apt that is hard to configure

>superior packaging management for decades
>wants to replace it with absolute shit
Imagine a technology that forces developers to update their software to match the lib version used by distros now you some faggots want it replaced by the degenerated Windows system that was and is a failure just image.

>Freedom managed by subhumans always leads to communism
>churchill

>snap install chocolate-doom
>apt install chocolate-doom
>apt-get install chocolate-doom
>dpkg -i chocolate-doom.deb
No, really, what's the difference? Normalfags will just copy and paste commands regardless.

The difference is technology. We discuss technology on a technology board. Normalfags is not technology, I don't care for them, and they are not the topic of discussion. Stop bringing them up in every thread. Fuck you.

Ubuntu is the most normalfag OS after Mint so their taste in installers is relevant.

If I understand launchpad correctly, this is merely a proposal at this time. A higher up would need to actually approve it (which appears to be Mark Shuttleworth), but it has not been approved yet.

>This is the future that some people do want to see for ubuntu
fify

>Ubuntu is the most normalfag OS after Mint
1. Windows and MacOS are more normalfag
2. Even if normalfags use ubuntu it doesn't mean the os is useless

> normalfags taste in installers is relevant
exactly my point, stop bringing them up

>snap install cosmic
Then who was obongo?!

Personally I prefer flatpak

I like that vlc is like 3gb that way

it makes the ssds i bought more useful

>gotta test snapd
>hmm, I have to install ODrive, might just do it with snap anyways
>snap install odrive-unofficial
>downloading takes 5 minutes! Hmm, ok, might just a be shitty server
>where's the icon in the laucher? Oh, I have to lauch it from the cli with some apps? Oh, ok, I'm familiar with cli, not the end of the world
>open ODrive, takes 40 seconds! Oh, might be a shitty and not optimized program, how big is it anyways?
>ODrive: 900mbs

Attached: vF4a5G.jpg (800x575, 74K)

I prefer this. Coming from the old Windows world, I always expected that dependencies should be included in an application folder because it is simply easier. Suck it gnufags.

pacman is literally perfect

I would be fine with it if it weren't for the fact that Portage is capable of all of this with zero-cost abstractions (package sets), but it's not mainstream because the powers that be made it so.

these features are literally built in to Portage but nobody takes advantage of them, because Gentoo is populated by NEETs.

well im not using ubuntu again. Fedora all the way

The whole os and all it's sub systems needs a restructure. It's a hobbyist-tier hackjob of shit stuffed in folders all over the place with little logic or reason.

Attached: thanos.jpg (640x320, 33K)

Nigger, just shut the fuck up, you don't know what you're talking about.

>LibreOffice Windows x64 MSI: 238 MB

>LibreOffice OS X Bundle: 201 MB

>LibreOffice Flatpack: 156 MBs

>LibreOffice x64 Deb package: 229 MBs

>LibreOffice x64 RPM package: 229 MBs

>LibreOffice AppImage: 246 MB

>LibreOffice snap: 1.1 GB

I have nothing against delivering apps like this, desu I think it's better for the end consumer, they shouldn't have to use cli in case a package manager decides to break everything. But they're doing it wrong, they should push appimage instead.

GNU/Linux is a million times more logically organized than Windows.

file sizes are not the main issue here
the real threat is security

Gotta mine that monero.

Damn, I was just enjoying my fresh xubuntu install too. I was on Debian before but I wanted more available software. Looks like I'll be distrohopping again soon.

Eh. I'll care when it ends up in Redhat.

THAT'S IT! FUCKING DROPPED!

thank gnu I use debian

It's ok, but it's easy to just check a system with what is there and install what is needed, as apt already does. Not sure why they consider it so difficult.
The only problem with bundled shit is the way winshit does it, randomly installing random shit into random locations. If it's all kept within it's same fucking .fuckoff folder then it's good. If you bundle your crap, you should NOT relocate anything. Including config files.

Its pretty clear we're going to see a schism in the community soon. There is going to be a sharp divide between "Consumer" Linux and "Developer" Linux. The Consumer Linux will be using shit like Snap and AppImage and consist of a community of brainlets and the Developer Linux will be the traditional package managers packing their shit into easy to use boxes for the brainlets in the Consumer community. The Consumer side may even start excising the GNU out of it, why bother with the GCC when you won't be compiling at all? Think Android and Mac but for the desktop that uses Linux programs.

I'm not entirely sure if this is a good thing, the consumer side would certainly grow the financial side but this would probably kill the FOSS zealotry the GNU/Linux community fosters as corporations would take the lead even more.

Whomst'd've still uses Ubuntu?

sudo apt remove snap

You sounds like a normal fag desu...

Attached: 1549949373130.jpg (653x490, 162K)

MUH UNIX PHILOSOPHY

Attached: 1535768740976.png (633x758, 335K)

Yeah, but tell that to my 120 GB drive...

So if I have a hundred packages installed, will I have a hundred copies of glib?

>No, really, what's the difference? Normalfags will just copy and paste commands regardless.
>>apt install chocolate-doom
>>apt-get install chocolate-doom
>>dpkg -i chocolate-doom.deb
These download like 10 MB of Doom executable and wads.
>>snap install chocolate-doom
This downloads like 700 MB of every dependency wrapped together.

Even if you hate having disk space, this strategy also wastes RAM and CPU time loading a different identical copy of the same libraries for each program. We worked hard to get it to just map the same read-only memory pages when a new program uses the same lib, or at the very least have it in disk read cache. Now we want to throw all that away, and for what?

autoupdates bro

You can autoupdate either way

First thing I installed with snap crashed because of missing dependancie. Apt installed it just fine.

Good. finally an end to dependency hell.

>trade dependency hell for decreased performance and 10x the storage size
>good

>"(...)snap and other tools (especially AppImages which are by far the cleanest solution available) that allowed apps to be self-contained(...)
SNAP!
could you PLEASE do not use RU for shitposting

Attached: 1528609057566.webm (600x450, 956K)

dude. 1TB drives are only like $50. You can get a $500gb SSD for like $100. storage problems are a thing of the past now.

What distro should I replace Ubuntu with? Looking for advise from experienced distro hopper.

Attached: 15506515106620.png (700x525, 344K)

why is matt damon holding a walther ppk standing in front of an ancap flag?

I'm going back to Debian as we speak.

Attached: 1544047209570.gif (660x780, 199K)

Not to mention the internet usage, some people have a max quota of data they can use montly, downloading 5Gbs of software is better than downloading 100 Gbs for the same software becayse "muh full containers"

good god. stop whining. you talk as if people are going to download every app in the repo. on average people only use a handful of apps. i would wager 90% of the shit in the repos are never used anyway.

>he thinks that's close to what the average user has and can afford
>he thinks that everyone has unlimited internet or fast internet
>he doesn't realize things are going to keep getting more and more fat as time goes on
>he thinks people would prefer decreased performance over something like dependencies that the average user doesn't give a shit about

Good. You know what Android works so well? Why it's super stable and never breaks? Because it's a ROM. That's what linux needs to do. The main OS should be a ROM. and should run apps independently of the OS. No more crashes. Your OS can stay up for years at a time.

No dude that's like going gay after a bad fuck with a chick. Give another distro a go and then think about windblows

Shut up, nigger faggot. Some snaps are in the house of Gbs, last time I tried it 3 apps took something like 2.5Gbs, in some countries the data limit is around 20Gbs, that's more than 10% of the monthly limit KEEEEK

if you can't afford a $50 WD blue i feel sorry for you. All you gotta do is work a McDonalds for like a week and you could easily buy 2 or 3 of them.

I hadn't used LInux since 2014 or so

went with Mint Cinnamon in Dec.

It was good but buggy (crashy)

installed xfce+bare bones stuff, and now i'm learning how to dig gnome/cinnamon+mint stuff out by carefully fondling synaptic. No bricks yet and I've just about got it all. It's dumb but I've learned a fucking shitton and removing bloat even if I could just distro hop and skip this part soothes my autism.

>Those Dependants though

I'll probably go Manjaro after this.

>I'm so rich
>I don't pay for software
Nigger, just buy windows if you want a windows packaging system, you have the money after all :^)

ahahahahHAAHAHAHAHah

Try saying that when minimum wage is $250

>$250 minimum wage
>Milk is now $175 a bag
>Syrup is $347 a box
>Petrol is $100/litere

>giving developers an easy way to migrate apps is a must
I didn't read the post: the post

$250 per month

Attached: Original_PacMan.png (170x170, 9K)

>update libc or some other core library
>you have 1,027 snap updates
>626 snaps have deltas available.... 2.68 GiB to download
>337 snaps are available in full....... 14.11 GiB to download
>59 snaps have no updates available (warning: insecure)
>5 snaps no longer compatible with core system ABI and will be removed (warning)
>...downloading (Est: 23m)
>...resolving deltas (Est: 6m)
>...applying patches (Est: 8m)
>Reboot to apply changes now? y/n:

Maaaaaaan fuck that.

Attached: 1369769481617.gif (300x254, 1006K)

damn you are all fucking retarded and can't read we're 80 replies deep and only like two people figured out that it's just some nigga making a proposal and it hasn't been approved in any way whatsoever

>my gentoo skills are fucking garbage
>I might have to jump into fedora

Attached: 1535540514336.png (800x602, 671K)

If we go that far, why not just statically compile everything?

Spaghetti clusterfuck.
Stop being delusional.

Couldn't you make a script which finds duplicate libraries on your system, moves them to some sensible place, then just symlinks all the places it occurred?

Unironically Arch. You won't learn shit about the kernel and compilation flags like you would with Gentoo but you'll definitely learn how most things fit together.

One problem is that sometimes you need multiple versions of a library

this desu. snaps are for stupid niggers

>You won't learn shit about the kernel and compilation flags
Then just compile your own kernel. You are in fact able to do that.

Is this a problem as long as you can identify the version?

You can do this sure, but its not a requirement to learn this like you would deploying a Gentoo install.

Static linking binaries can increase the size, but not necessarily.
harmful.cat-v.org/software/dynamic-linking/
Statically linked binaries are also faster as they don't have the overhead of the linker at runtime.
Now, snap/flatpak/appimage/nix/guix are more than just static linking, as it also accommodates languages that aren't compiled or can't be compiled statically (scripting languages like Python, Javascript, etc.)
The UNIX gods (Rob Pike, Ken Thompson) literally designed Go without dynamic linking because it's shit.
It's also considered harmful by cat-v

no matter the road they take, at least make it consistent
having apt, snap, flatpak and appimage is a clusterfuck
and when they try to make it all coexist in the same "App Store" it is even worse

Flatpak was one of the very first things I uninstalled.

It's like WINSXS bad, but worse.

I think the distro I used that included 4 package managers was KDE neon, or maybe kubuntu?
I ended up having multiple versions of the same app, because sometimes I installed using the "app store", and it installed snaps, but sometimes I used apt, and it installed the repo version, that was usually outdated
absolute non-sense

That I am going to replace ubuntu with debian.

This was basically my experience. Program I installed with it took fucking forever to start. Installed it with apt later and it's perfect now

>switching to the windows model
The absolute state of linux

Attached: 1485463825623.jpg (125x123, 3K)

That's a cute kaijuu