Best browser for battery saving for linux? currently using chromium

best browser for battery saving for linux? currently using chromium

Attached: download.jpg (311x162, 12K)

windows 10 but unironically

qutebrowser / surf+tabbed
personally i find qutebrowser easier to use out of the box

windows 7 unironically on t420 imo. while ubuntu seems to use 12wh vs. 7wh on windows i still quite like to use ubuntu.

needs to be normie friendly

Lynx

links+gentoo obviously

it's actually funny how linux is supposed to breathe life into older systems and yet no one ever thought about the fact that it draws way too much power on laptops. sure you can get powertop and shit but windows still uses less power

what version are you running?

this. how can it be "easier" on your system but still require more power. screen is same brightness but still draws more power. maybe its the propriatery drivers in windows that are made specific for thinkpad.

haha well memed. i tried it and its rubbish because it doesnt support java and captchas cant be completed.

You're thinking of Linux before v4.15 and with some bullshit heavy DE or compositor. Don't use Compton or GNOME and it'll have at least the same battery life as windows. Xubuntu lasts 20% longer than windows 10 did on my laptops.

It is 100% because of the specific drivers and tweaks built into Windows. There's just a ton more effort going into making the laptop power efficient with windows, because that's what 99% of people are going to be running.

Linux does breathe new life into old systems though. If a laptop is at that point, the battery life should be less of a concern vs actually getting a usable system out of old hardware.

stock yea, you need to do configuration specific to the machine to get power usage down, you can easily half what stock ubuntu does.

see
You'd need to configure your system specific to the hardware. Same as windows does. It's harder on linux because most of t he shit is proprietary blobs to sleep and slow down drive spins, etc.

Yep, a big step is moving from HDD to SSD. The SSDs in sleep mode don't consume nearly as big a difference from them in wake mode. Hard drives are like 90% difference. Since the SSDs do this internally they also don't have the issue that most linux generic kernels do which is: they don't efficiently talk to the drive, motherboard, fan, cpu, etc firmwares for sleep modes.
It's sad but true, portable device support is really last priority. Most of the money is toward server hardware.

>You're thinking of Linux before v4.15
4.19 is better, 4.15 is still shit.
also if you set your cpu policy at something like 700mhz ofcourse Linux eats less battery.

I was talking about out of the box experience. Xubuntu 18 by default used less battery than windows 10.

chromium, because it's only browser with VAAPI support, it's recently added in Arch official package, OpenSuse and Fedora already have it

What excuse does Mozilla have for not including it in Firefox?

Because diversity is more important then actually improving their browser

it literally doesn't. debian with xfce draws 5w in my T450.

Didn't Google say that Chrome browsers will NEVER have video acceleration on Linux because 0% market share?

They already support it, but it doesn't help when Google tries to basically make everything work the way chromium does as if it was a standard. They purposely do so to fuck with Firefox because it's the only real competitor to Chromium being the only underlying engine. Firefox is the only thing that kept Chromium from making that " goodbye all ad blocking addons and privacy stuff" change. You think they would have not done so if all browsers were basically just built on Chromium?

qutebrowser is the best browser ever, cheers

yep, can confirm. Dual booting kubuntu 18.10 on 2yo laptop and the battery lasts about 20% less than when using win10pro

>hehe you need to use chrome bro best browser
>slow shit ie meme.gif
Thanks to shill faggots, ie now also goes to use chromium shit. Because google is actively sabotaging every other browser.

>bloated windows 10 uses less power than linux
>b-b-b-but you have to use linux with a cryptic tilling wm so it can draw the same as power as windows 10! It's your fault!!!!!
Jesus Christ, I use linux but sometimes linuxfags are just delusional.

degoogled chromium ultron brave masterraceeeeeeeeee

i'm a python rockstar coder so I KNOW what i'm talking about

>best browser for battery saving
Use your computers standby mode instead of browsing leddit in uni.

>java
what webpages require java anymore?

>using a browser in 2019

>he doesn't know about Bonzi Buddy

>sure you can get powertop
Nah mate, they broke powertop on 4.20 :^)

>loonix
>battery
Lmao

Edge in Wine

>tilling wm
t. brainlet

same, i use windows at uni to save power

feels dumb man

>no software installed other than a browser
>bloated
I mean, I agree that windows is bloated but that's beyond your control unless you use embedded or windows AME.

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called "Linux", and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called "Linux" distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.

Attached: 1508088131671.png (3000x2933, 242K)

based

I'm terribly sorry for interjecting another moment, but what I just told you is GNU/Linux is, in fact, just Linux, or as I've just now taken to calling it, Just Linux. Linux apparently does happen to be a whole operating system unto itself and comprises a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Most computer users who run the entire Linux operating system every day already realize it. Through a peculiar turn of events, I was misled into calling the system "GNU/Linux", and until now, I was unaware that it is basically the Linux system, developed by the Linux project.

There really isn't a GNU/Linux, and I really wasn't using it; it is an extraneous misrepresentation of the system that's being used. Linux is the operating system: the entire system made useful by its included corelibs, shell utilities, and other vital system components. The kernel is already an integral part of the Linux operating system, never confined useless by itself; it functions coherently within the context of the complete Linux operating system. Linux is never used in combination with GNU accessories: the whole system is basically Linux without any GNU added, or Just Linux. All the so-called "GNU/Linux" distributions are really distributions of Linux.

Brave or GNOME Epiphany
Or