Work

Is it better to work at a start up or in a big tech company? What would you choose and why? Programmers only.

Attached: victorribeiro-street-1-8faf727a-nfhc.jpg (1280x800, 522K)

A well established company with maybe 50-100 employees total.

Working in small company = fearing if you will be paid
Working in very large company = soul crushing
Working for self = big brain meme thing

When I say big company I mean like Facebook and Google. Aren't those one those "best place to work"?

Sure if you would rather play ping pong at work and then commit sudoku after missing impossible deadlines

no

Yes, they have higher pay, less hours, relaxed culture and you learn a lot. The hard part is getting in. Lots of people are jealous so they claim there is some hidden catch, but there isn't.

The real reason people leave because they get bored or find things too slow moving and bureaucratic. Almost everyone I knew who left either went to another big company or started their own startup (some quite successful).

I do think like you. I just wanted to see if anyone here left due to a bad experience.

Working for the government feels so wrong, but so right.

Military?

I miss govie contracting. It was so easy and the bar was so low you could look like a wizard. Too bad it pays like shit otherwise I'd ride that wave forever.

Want ppl to pay attention to your ideas? Probably a small start-up in its infancy is for you.
Want great pay and bennies but to just be another cog in the machine? Probably go work for Google, FB, et all.

>sudoku?
>seppuku

Attached: seppuku-trump.gif (500x282, 1.03M)

This. A company that is growing and has at least 100 employees so you know they have their shit together but there's plenty of room to grow professionally.

Startup will get you a shit load of money quick but you generally need a resume of some kind, they will also work you to the bone. Only do it for like 9-12 months, most fail by then anyways. Then enjoy cash

>big tech
Eh, depends you become just a number unless super skilled or customer facing

Lurk 5 more years before posting

The average tenure at Google is like 3 years. It's not a big company in the traditional sense

>Startup will get you a shit load of money quick
What? You're much more likely to get empty promises of equity

Starups or any company that pretends to be cool and trendy to work at are fucking hellholes. The reason they offer you fridges full of snacks and game rooms with xbox is because they expect you to stay there all fucking day working as if you gave a shit weather the company fails or succeed.
Corporate hellholes are mindless jobs where you will write code nobody needs or gives a shit about and your manager will be a retard demanding impossible shit but you will work 9-5 and can say fuck it and forget about it until the next day.
Both suck for different reasons. Pick your poison.

Agreed. That is a retarded statement. It CAN get you paid extremely well but it is extremely unlikely as even if it does succeed in the least the VCs are getting paid first and most flop on their faces as startups and with everybody and their grandmother getting a new startup, your chances to actually succeed well as a dev/programmer are extremely rarified.
Eat my cock

big companies have room for advancement, small companies make you do shit you may or may not ever get paid for and you can never advance. gain experience at big companies, then go independent if you want, but you probably won't want to because it's extra work and you'll be burnt out.

this guy knows

Work for a university.

This, you will never be required to create anything of use.

startups obviously