Why won't any millionaires or billionaires help the free software movement or linux?

Why won't any millionaires or billionaires help the free software movement or linux?

I can't understand why adobe or big companies can't release their source code or at least make it open source.

What the fuck is wrong with this world?

Attached: 366ddbaf2d2304cabc2f665963837d78.jpg (320x247, 15K)

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/stlab
github.com/facebook/folly
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

why can't freetards create a sustainable business model instead of begging megacorporations for handouts?

>Why won't any millionaires or billionaires help the free software movement or linux?
Pretty sure there are some who donate personal moneys.

>I can't understand why adobe or big companies can't release their source code or at least make it open source.
Every big company I can think of releases something open source.

>What the fuck is wrong with this world?
You.

>waaah why won't people give me things for free

you want everything to be free? i have a book you might like

What a thing to complain about on a Hebrew Ching Chong in Tir na Nog BBC.

>Company won't fix bug
>Hey I'll fix it for you
>Company denies you access to fix bug

This is anti-capitalistic.

Attached: 1548235882032.jpg (510x379, 34K)

This isn't about bussiness or profit.
Its about innovation.

Just because you think Adobe is a rich company, doesn't mean it is. They could open source their shit and go bankrupt in 3 years. Billion dollar companies can disappear over night. You think Amazon will be on top forever? Walmart was the juggernaut 10 years ago. Sears 20 years before that. Thinking in this small frame of "it's big now" makes zero sense. Long term is smart.
Think Adobe can't be replaced, you're wrong.

Attached: Capture+_2019-02-07-08-52-16.png (1385x833, 1.33M)

>Its about innovation.
Of which 99.9999% happens in the private sector, with closed source software and hardware. Companies only open-source the bits where they don't have a competitive advantage. That's why Google keeps Bigtable proprietary while contributing Linux patches and a gorillion other things to open source.

That being said, Adobe needs to be replaced for fucks sake

They do. Google, IBM, Samsung, Amazon, Microsoft, and others put a lot of time and money into free software and Linux.

Why not put all of their money into it?

>Linus Torvalds himself
>Mark Shuttleworth
can't remember other names right now.

also companies and organizations:
>RedHat
>Intel
>AMD
>Linux foundation and affiliated companies (yeah, they are a bunch of companies that take advantage of Linux being free, and hype the "open source movement", but in the end, some of them DO contribute)

because Free Software and Linux are not the main/only source of money for them?

came here to say this, except for the Mark Shuttlecock part, he's just wasting tons of money on stupid ideas (Mir, Ubuntu Phone, snapd, etc.) and dividing the community (he pretty much destroyed Debian). DId you also know he tries to force ISPs and IaaS providers who offer Ubuntu to pay royalties to Canonical, and that they can't let the customer know _OR_ charge them extra to recuperate the cost?

>Seething
>Of which 99.9999% happens in the private secto
Citation needed. Www was invented at CERN, the best c compiler is gnu, nasa landed the first man on the moon.

Enjoy your privilege.

Attached: soy.jpg (1280x720, 98K)

libertarians aren't actually this dumb, r-right Jow Forums?

Because then everyone will see all the free software they've stolen.

Pathetic bait thread. Do you forget about all the big companies contributing to and even creating open source projects? /v/ needs to go

(You) are retards.

(You) are the biggest retard

gnu is the best c compiler because c doesn't matter

Most big companies release well made software libraries.
Adobe: github.com/stlab
Facebook: github.com/facebook/folly
Microsoft research pretty much funds GHC

Of all the good things billionaires could do with their money, THIS is what you want? Pathetic.

Some companies lack the vision to profit from FLOSS, Adove is one of them.

Also their code is ancient and a pain to maintain, so porting it is as easy as porting windows to RISC-V.

Because he has to win from it as well.