pastebin.com/fYZLW7Ub

>Jow Forums headphone wiki
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php?title=Headphones

IEM / EARBUDS / EAR DILDO - anywhere but /hpg/
Required viewing before debating sound :
youtube.com/watch?v=BYTlN6wjcvQ
youtube.com/watch?v=a-JGAobDwGs&t=12m

Previous thread:

Attached: bc62a16120d678a817d369ef1528f687.jpg (1240x1753, 3.76M)

Other urls found in this thread:

audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/review-apple-vs-google-usb-c-headphone-adapters.5541/
dropbox.com/s/61srehjyaltd7w0/Stax SR-009S.pdf?dl=0
dropbox.com/s/dm0m6u3s3b4zqzl/Sennheiser HD600.pdf?dl=0
i.imgur.com/W7hz3rh.png
aes.org/e-lib/browse.cfm?elib=17441
mega.nz/#F!3MFm1DrD!4GlU_vNtEeF148kZcQ05wA
i.imgur.com/Dru4gzZ.png
youtube.com/watch?v=Bf38cKJ6NBc
youtu.be/5V_tVGXFVrE
youtube.com/watch?v=ddWxm_mwDj4&t=131s
en.goldenears.net/KB_Columns/1453
wooaudio.com/accessories/hps-h
wooaudio.com/accessories/hps
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

first for beyers

second for stax

third for sennheiser, the king and absolute master of headphone witchcraft

I went online to look for reviews on the FiiO K1 mini DAC/AMP. All I wanted was a decent output that wasn't susceptible to all the interferences that happen inside my desktop's case, and to have a better source for my soon to arrive cans.
It's funny how 90% of the reviews praise it for sounding good for such a small and cheap solution, while Head-Fi shits on it simply saying "you can't get anything decent for that price yadda yadda buy something more expensive" lol
They sound like CRT enthusiasts, they look first and foremost at price point, anything else is second.

Fiio K1 is actually underpowered though, just build an O2.

I would just get a $100 amp and be done with it. Because typically those $100 amps are basically all you would need.

The FiiO K1 has about as much power output as the Apple USB-C dongle. Meaning, it has LESS power output than many decent computer headphone output, like that of higher end Asus gamer boards, or mac headphone outs.
It's an idiotic product, that is only useful if your computer audio is horrible with lots of noise.
You also deride Head-Fi for only looking at price point but you're falling into the lolbjectivist trap of even believing there's a point in a DAC at all. If your audio isn't broken a DAC does nothing.
An amp may be necessary for some headphones, or to have leeway to use equalizers.
That's about it.
audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/review-apple-vs-google-usb-c-headphone-adapters.5541/
Is all the dac you will ever need.

Attached: dongle.png (225x225, 907)

Redpill on STAX for newbies: STAX is an old Jap company with outdated tech that was considered high end back in the 1960s and 1970s but sounds like ass by today's standards, so they went nearly bankrupt. They were purchased by a Chinese company for just a million dollars who decided to market STAX to the audiophool "more expensive is better" demographic who buys those crappy $3000 vinyl players, they shill heavily on HeadFi and here on /hpg/, plus they pay Zeos to shill their crap just like Fostex does.

>In December 2011, Chinese loudspeaker manufacturer Edifier announced the acquisition of 100% equity in Stax

Oratory has measured the highest end STAX, the SR-009S.

dropbox.com/s/61srehjyaltd7w0/Stax SR-009S.pdf?dl=0

dropbox.com/s/dm0m6u3s3b4zqzl/Sennheiser HD600.pdf?dl=0

It's worse than the HD600. HD600 scored 92 and SR-009S scored 76.

Recently Rtings rated STAX across various dimension, it's worse in terms of sound than mid-priced offerings from Hifiman and Audeze, and only got a 7.7 rating.

i.imgur.com/W7hz3rh.png

In a separate study:

>The very highest end STAX ($4000 SR-009) was rated lower in blind tests than a $200 K701

aes.org/e-lib/browse.cfm?elib=17441

Download the PDF of the study at: mega.nz/#F!3MFm1DrD!4GlU_vNtEeF148kZcQ05wA

Oratory (respected sound engineer) on the build:

i.imgur.com/Dru4gzZ.png

Even best Stax headphones sound objectively worse than mid-fi. This is why they don't demo them in store, they rely on the internet to create a sense of mystique around STAX and shill it as the endgame because its expensive, Asian, rare and obscure. In reality its no bass sounding garbage, with shrill highs that appeal only to near-deaf boomers. And what they say is true, they have no soundstage.

To add insult to overpriced injury, they have shitty plastic build quality that you would expect on cheap chinkshit headphones:

youtube.com/watch?v=Bf38cKJ6NBc

Attached: Stax Incel 2.jpg (2048x1536, 275K)

>Hifiman
OH NO NO NO NO
youtu.be/5V_tVGXFVrE

Eww, Stax are literally garbage

STAX incels BTFO on a daily basis

He actually loves the hifiman planars, the Edition X V2 is his favorite headphone:

youtube.com/watch?v=ddWxm_mwDj4&t=131s

He only doesn't like the electrostatic Hifiman Jade, because like all electrostatics its a meme with no bass and shrill treble that gets extremely annoying, and only deaf boomers think sounds like "detail".

What I don't want is to have interferences and force my already really old headphone jack. I don't really need a lot of power too since the phone I'm going to use (Kuba Disco), is low on impedance and has 113 dB/mw. I just want it separate from my pc internals.

stax incels on suicide watch

Attached: staxjunk.png (726x460, 104K)

Even Reddit is becoming redpilled on the stax scam.

>because like all electrostatics its a meme with no bass
I tested them too and the Jade II and L700 have bass. Just not basshead.

Buy the apple dongle then. It's much better quality than anything you can afford at those prices. You may need a USB-C to A dongle for the dongle if you don't have a recent board or laptop though.

Yeah you should just buy an apple usb c dongle. It's the best dongle out there and I think the google pixel one is the second best but apples one is pretty cheap anyway and a good bit better.

>literal chink
>loves chinkfiman
big think

He's a cutie.

I just tried stax and they actually sound really good, why is everyone here mad about stax?

>I just tried stax and they actually sound really good
What exactly sounded good though? And what model did you try?

They are just mad they can't afford them

Show your Stax /hpg/

Attached: IMG_20190223_155712.jpg (1581x1997, 663K)

Based and objectivepilled

Why is she so smug?

She wants you to sniff her feet.

Attached: Stax build quality.png (734x448, 83K)

Fuck, guess I'm the smug one now.

Electrostats like STAX and Jade and MrSpeakers VOCE are almost exclusively used for classical music and acoustic. I can't imagine someone using them as a daily driver for normal music with actual low end.

>I can't imagine someone using them as a daily driver for normal music with actual low end.
Yeah if you actually want something with a good amount of bass then you should go with something closed back or a planar. Although they definetely have a lot more bass than something like a HD 600, HD 800s. It's actually alright for someone who likes listening to pop/hiphop. Not the best experience though I could get.

Planar bass is the same as stat bass, biodynas provide better tuning for the EQ averse.

>for the EQ averse.
the colloquial term is EQlet. the ontological term stems from the latin term retardare or simply put, retarded.

and retarded itself comes from 'stax' - meaning 'I buy chinkshit when it's made on nippon soil, power of the dweeb'

for someone who claims to hate stax you sure do spend a lot of time thinking and posting about it

>you
You? Whom? Are you schizophrenic?

:^)

Attached: 9dw9vx9qepv01.png (1287x657, 495K)

wrong usage of who/whom but nice try dumb ukrainigger

imagine not owning Stax

Nikita is not the only poster who laughs at the chinks.

I sometimes forget there are two dumb finish people here who spam

Yes I own stax, how did you know?

Attached: 834.png (687x768, 229K)

Yes, I own stax. How did you know?

Attached: stax6.jpg (391x550, 42K)

Nice fantasy, incel.

Here is the actual reality.

Attached: Stax incel.jpg (1536x2048, 274K)

Based and Objectivepilled.

Stax incels absolutely BTFO'D

So after several months waiting my Brainwavz XL suede pads arrived!
Pros: Damn, these are as comfy as it gets, they are soft as pillows and don't even touch my ears.
Cons: They added a fuckton of bass to the otherwise bass-light AD900X! Airyness and stage are fucking gone and the lower notes actually lost a lot of definition (as in "it's harder to tell which notes are being played because of the mud").

Gonna try them on the other headphones some time around the next week, they are too comfortable to go to waste, but for now i need to search for more appropriated pads for the AD900X, these increased comfort a lot at the cost of killing everything i liked about the sound.

Attached: IMG_20190220_203802315~2.jpg (2905x3914, 1.81M)

Is a FX-Audio DAC-X6 good enough for HD800?
What would be a good cheap DAC / Amp for them? Schiit Stack (Modi and Magni)?

Attached: sennheiser-headphone-girl.jpg (646x680, 127K)

Repent

Attached: enlightenstax.png (1200x756, 597K)

that comb over though

because you have them on your head you dumbass

>Is a FX-Audio DAC-X6 good enough for HD800
Can someone explain to me why people still mention the DAC X6? What is the source that shills that piece of shit and why do newfags to the thread keep coming asking about it? It's literally worse than your computer built-in headphone output.
It's one of the very few DACs on the market that roll off treble in a significant, audible manner.
>That response is very poor in high frequencies, dropping from 5 Khz on by as much as 5 to 7 dB
It's just some random piece of chinkshit from a brand that has no presence in the market other than that specific piece - the X6 -. Yet it's like a zombie and refuses to die.

Attached: dacfag6.png (1075x808, 70K)

That might actually help with the hd800 ear rape treble

>hd800 ear rape treble
I never understood this meme or with other treble headphones.

Depends on the volume, the louder you listen the worse treble peaks are. If you listen at 65dB it won't bother you. 75dB it starts becoming a problem and 85dB it gets really bad.

>Depends on the volume, the louder you listen the worse treble peaks are. If you listen at 65dB it won't bother you
Good thing I'm not a loud listener.

Case closed. What do I win?

>What do I win?
Hearing loss.

Zeos was gushing all over the Aeolus. Anyone tried it?

Attached: hej6vikgtzd21.jpg (7357x4907, 1.51M)

I can still hear up to 21K

I haven't, but Zeos has been pretty on point in terms of recommendations in my experience.

Anyone knows a mod to make the headband on the Phidelio X2 stiffer?

I feel the elastic might be giving a little after all these years and it would be great if I could replace it by a stronger elastic string.
See picture to see what I mean (ignore the scissor).

Attached: 6777060.jpg (608x680, 126K)

I just bought these (sony WH-CH700N) instead of some sub 200$ sennheiser. Was it the right choice?

Attached: sony.jpg (224x224, 4K)

No

Yes

buying sorny headphones is always retarded
sorry but you've got terminal aids

Aren't they simply the open ended Atticus?

Guys i have a pair of Beoplay H6. Is the sound Blaster x7 a good amp/dac to use with them? What other amp/dac could i buy with 300€?

anyone's tried those new sony noise cancelling headphones. i'm about to pull the trigger but youtube shills have been a little too positive about them to my comfort

Looking for buying advice

>Budget
Looking to spend about $500, $600 max.

>Location
Canada

>Source
PC, But i'm totally new to this scene, should i be getting a sound card / amp? I don't know exactly what's nessesary and what's good.

>Type of headphone
Full size

>Open or closed
I've traditionally had closed, but from what i can understand open has better sound quality? Either should be fine.

>Comfort level
Comfier the better, they would be used for long periods of time

>Past headphones
Currently using a logitech G533, it's not the worst thing in the world, but i want better sound quality.

stax

lol even the lolcow objectivitists at rtings admit to hearing distortion their measurement systems doesn't detect or reflect in a meaningful manner
remember that the next time someone says "thd under 10% doesn't matter on bass" or some other nonsense
particularly the -hd600 has bass- memers

Attached: lolc.png (441x794, 132K)

When people say distortion isn't audible in the bass they mean it's not percieved as what you would normally consider distortion, the distortion character of the bass determines the "character" of the bass. That's why the HD600 sounds like ass when you bass boost.

>That's why the HD600 sounds like ass when you bass boost.
Can confirm it does uwu

>earpads add bass
Jesus, and this is on a headphone general. Goes to show thread quality

STAX

based retard

Your ignorance is why you should GTFO this thread until you've actually learned a thing about audio.
en.goldenears.net/KB_Columns/1453
Yes earpads affect the tonal balance of headphones, this has a MEASURABLE effect. They're part of the acoustic transmission to your ear, the better they seal the better the sub-bass too. Holes behind the earpads can contribute to a bass reflex type boost too, this is something Beyerdynamic exploit a lot (pictured : balanced (many holes) and bassless analytical earpads (4 holes).
Leather and pleather transmits bass better, velour leaks more, but the materials inside and type of padding affects the signature too.
Then there's the foam some earpads come with, it's not only a dust/hair cover for the drivers, some are transparent, but others exist to tune the treble. The M50X notoriously get a major treble boost if you put third party ear pads on them that don't have thick foam. You can get the same effect by putting a few plies of toilet paper in front of the driver.

Attached: holes.jpg (1920x1079, 1.23M)

They kinda do actually
Have a pair of MDR 7506s and replaced the pads with some velour ones and it did add some more perceived bass
Is it that unbelievable that a pad change can alter the sound signature? It's the same shit that happens when you change/modify a speaker cabinet using the same driver, it may be the same driver with the same frequency response as before but a change in cabinet can make all the difference in sound

so who's got the mt. stupid meme image?

>getting baited by the based retard

Attached: stupid.jpg (600x428, 47K)

Is STAX a meme

the best kind of meme

I hope not, I just bought the SRS-3100

jesus died for our sins

OH NONONONONONONOO

Recommend me good headphone stands that won't loosen the clamping force.

funny thing is the brainwavz HM5 microsuede on thr haafee hd1 removed all the bass from it. Had to buy the m50 dekoni sheepskin to make it sound the same. Didnt try the hm5 sheepskin since it's too big on the headphone overall.

dunno about the hafee but if its stock earpads are close in dimension to the m50x in terms of ear hole it makes sense. HM5 are huge, driver has to move more air.

i want to get good headphones. can someone give me a quick rundown on why/when you need amp's/DAC's?

>Was it the right choice?
No.
wooaudio.com/accessories/hps-h
wooaudio.com/accessories/hps

>wooaudio.com/accessories/hps-h
>wooaudio.com/accessories/hps
Would these suck if they are those AKG headbands/stax headbands?

Help me out Stax owners, for best sound do I need to leave my 3100 system turned on 24\7 to keep the L300 "energized" ?

Been reading it can take up to 3-4 days for earspeaker to fully charge, but then is it ok to turn driver off as long are L300 stays plugged in?

Sounds like audiophoolery. I just leave mine plugged in but the amp is turned off.

>need to leave my 3100 system turned on 24\7
Yes. You should sleep really close by too. Your soul will keep it energized and being nearby while asleep is always a bonus in case of house fire.

Just make sure it's wide enough, I guess.

Attached: 9912401_f520.jpg (520x390, 30K)

So you haven't noticed any difference listening after discharging the earspeaker vs leaving it turned on for several days?

>Just make sure it's wide enough, I guess.
I was mostly worried for the headband being damaged by having its weight on one point in maybe a brittle? headband it seems.