Is BSD (not counting macOS) a viable alternative to Linux on the desktop today? If yes...

Is BSD (not counting macOS) a viable alternative to Linux on the desktop today? If yes, which distro do you prefer for that purpose? If no, what would it take to get it there?

Attached: bsd-big.gif (450x475, 59K)

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/torvalds/linux
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

It's the same UNIX shir. Use whatever you like and stop making shit threads.

Linux isn't viable desktop either

because?

a. No
b. Too much.
If it was copylefted, you might see some improvement over time. But it's not and they insist on blaming the fact it's 15 years behind on legal problems back in the day.

The only sane choice is FreeBSD. Don’t even bother with the others. They’re like less developed than the most obscure of Linux distros.

macOS

*hugs*

Not really. In regards to general desktop usage, it is about where linux was in 2000.

And that is for FreeBSD, the other bsds are even further behind and about as useful as haikuOS.

AMD cards dont get acceleration on any of the bsds, on freebsd you are stuck with pretty much just the propietary nvidia drivers. Newer intel gpus wont work at all, just the ancient ones.

Wireless is a joke on it. it is not worth the hassle
I don't think any gpu even has proper 2k or 4k support for it lmao

Too unstable.

no, freebsd might have some advantages in server use (jails, zfs, better stability track record), but there is literally ZERO reason to use it on the desktop

Try hardenedbsd. It's free bsd, but with less of the freedom fuckups.

ProjectTrident, is literally what you are looking for, OP.

>Is BSD (not counting macOS) a viable alternative to Linux on the desktop today?

Yes, unless you use your desktop for nothing but the ingestion of DRM-laden media.

>If yes, which distro do you prefer for that purpose?

FreeBSD is full of amateur coffee-shop webdev retards who sell their nudes on Patreon and will give you venereal diseases. NetBSD is so Spartan that it kills sick children, but it's also so Spartan that it will be overrun by helots. OpenBSD is the only BSD with developers that are actually interesting to talk to. The others are too autistic or too intersectional.

Project trident vs hardenedbsd?

Openbsd is good because they use best security practices, but it's bad for a desktop, because they don't have any of the modern bells, and whistles, because they stick to the bsp.

because he messed up installing ubuntu
>

>Is BSD (not counting macOS) a viable alternative to Linux on the desktop today?
Not a chance. The only BSD worth considering is OpenBSD, and still, the only case where it would actually offer some advantage is on a server where security is crucial. There is absolutely no reason to use it over Gahnoo/Linux on a desktop.

Also this, though. If you're gonna use a Unix-like system, you might as well use the one with the most support.

Linux went down hill. The freebsd based variants are now more attractive than ever.

Why do you guys keep shilling this garbage?
Every person you talk into installing bsd is just one more person with first hand knowledge of how shitty it is.

What does FreeBSD offer over Linux on a desktop?

Because linux is just the kernel. GNU contains the DE
>wintards BTFO

>No systemd
>Quicker software loading latency
>about the same fuck all attitude when it comes to security

>about the same fuck all attitude when it comes to security
This is why hardenedbsd bsd is probably the best choice for an open source desktop. I really want openbsd to take its place, but it's not the right tool for the job.

Install Gentoo.

But Gentoo *BSDs are no longer maintained.

Gentoo doesn't make the Linux kernel any better.

I'd say qualified no. if by desktop alternative you mean browser and media machine then yes, and no depending on what other software you're demanding video editing streaming or whatever it probably could be.
The big problem being the smaller userbase means there aren't forums full of people already solving the problems you're too stupid to solve in Linux.

Linux is an operating system created by Linus Torvalds.

I love BSD but the reality is that so much more effort goes into Linux that, even if the BSD project make progress, in relative terms they are increasingly left behind.

It pains me because the userland on OpenBSD is so, so much nicer than Linux, but the kernel is straight out from the eighties.

>Distro

Try again

>I love BSD but the reality is that so much more effort goes into Linux
Used to go into Linux, and Linus never cared about security, so here you have it.
>Openbsd
There are other BSDs that are better fits for a full fledged modern desktop. Openbsd fills it's own niche very well, but it's not the desktop bsd you're looking for.

>What does the D in BSD stand for

Try even more

let me see you run this without bootloader
github.com/torvalds/linux

>jails
Jails are shit compared real VMs

>zfs
The focus for OpenZFS has been linux. The only advantage FreeBSD had was that you didn't need to compile spl and zfs modules for every kernel update. That was before Canonical stopped pretending that they gave a shit about the gpl.

>Openbsd
>full fledged modern desktop

You are aware that most desktops have more than one cpu core, right?

Development

BSD isn't Unix.

Hey retard did I say that openbsd was a good choice for a desktop? No, I did not you dumb retarded faggot. Now go sign a CoC, and suck on your decapitated dick stem while flicking your unnaturally sensitive hormonal banana nipples you Linux tranny faggot before I dead name you in public.

No userbase, thus no software to use.

I apologize. Your paranoid tantrum has made me realize that I want to waste my time shopping around with your treasured hipster toy OSes.

How the hell can you be retarded enough to fuck up ubuntu

Stay on Ubuntu you massive retard. BSD isn't for you, asshole.

It's Ubuntu. Best case scenario is you installed a fucked os.

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called "Linux", and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called "Linux" distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.

Oh you're not going to install an *bsd? Oh noes how will the projects ever fucking survive without one less asshat, user ?

We must enter a brave new world in which sub-130 IQ humans are executed, and all generations of people are cognitively enhanced through gene modification. Wage war on the weak. Replace all proles with machines.

Attached: 1550291876650.gif (255x200, 559K)

The only thing good for freebsd is freenas, it's too obscure as both a server and a desktop and if you're gonna be that autistic about it you should just use openbsd for the security

>distro
posting from an openbsd system right now. it's very easy to use and aside from writing some scripts and setting up dwm (personal choice) i haven't had to invest any time to make it work.

if you're using openbsd as a desktop most of your code won't be in kernel space. that being said there is still a biglock in the kernel but it's going to be gone soon.

Attached: openbsd_chthulu.jpg (900x1407, 294K)

Anyone tried gentoo with the freeBSD kernel?

i use freebsd and it literally has no difference from linux for desktop usage besides some manual kernel module config

this

I'm reading Absolute OpenBSD right now. Very excited to get into OpenBSD. Any advice for people starting out with the OS?

expand memory limits in /etc/login.conf for your user (read the manual page for login.conf!), especially increasing the stack size, the memory limit and the amount of open files you can have for your user (or just the default - whatever). when you want to start your windows environment, make sure to edit ~/.xsession .

those are the only things i remember one of my friends having trouble with when they tried it themselves without experience. good luck!

and to clarify when i say "edit ~/.xsession", that's to add programs to be executed in the context of a shell script as your x session starts, ie "exec dwm" (that's what i have). if you were using mate that'd be "exec mate-session".

Thanks!

Attached: 1550876877837.jpg (1280x720, 165K)

Can you run Chinese .exe games on FreeBSD?

Not today, however I theorize that BSD* will supplant Linux some time in the future if it doesn't get its bloat and sloppy code under control.

it has wine so yes, which is something openbsd can't do

Not today, however I theorize that BSD* will supplant Linux some time in the future if Linux doesn't get its bloat and sloppy code under control.

dragonfly is the best desktop bsd.
it isnt ruined with pointless security autism (open), the emebedded device meme (net), or a horrible and now deprecated fs (free)

niche os, only advantage over freebsd is in the high networking throughput server realm, even less documentation, even less up to date packages, even more insecure with sidechannels because of cache coherency, overcomplicated capsicum api, every problem associated with freebsd except for the application memory security (which isn't even clearly documented).

*nice fs though with hammer.

you have no idea what you are talking about or who you are talking to

enlighten me. noone uses dragonflybsd as a desktop os.

thats because youre a sub 70 IQ retard nigger monkey faggot, please go kys you're self

you're right. what am i doing?

OpenBSD suits me better.

>AMD cards dont get acceleration on any of the bsds, on freebsd you are stuck with pretty much just the propietary nvidia drivers. Newer intel gpus wont work at all, just the ancient ones.

Although the video acceleration exists, it is not for NEW AMD cards, I see they are porting the Linux drivers to BSD but lagging behind in a process. So maybe I'd like to switch to BSD eventually (Linux is doomed because of SystemD and Cock of Conduct) but will wait for a while until they'll port the good drivers for my AMD card

>Wireless is a joke on it. it is not worth the hassle

Only if your wireless module needs the proprietary crapshit to function - e.g. Broadcom shit. Why not get some good Atheros ath9k which works on open source firmware/drivers, everywhere?

correct

>written in c
>secure
Linux at least does not pretend to be secure, unlike BSD.

kernel fucked my configuration completely because of red-haired dykes working on it.
i basically can't mount HDD as /home anymore, it doesn't give me GUI when booting at all.
version before 4.20 works fine.
i got around it via using symlinks, but i still have to mount it manually, enter password and shit.
Linux sucks and it will suck more and more because of leftist retards working on it.
i hope some viable alternative will pop up sooner or later.

OpenBSD:
>5 to 10 years behind on hardware support
>10 years behind on virtualization
>15 years behind on SMP
>20 years behind on file systems
It's a nice project but at this point it's increasingly becoming a meme.

And that's when comparing with Linux.
If you want to compare with Windows NT add 5 to 10 more years to those figures.

Calling bullshit on this one desu.

yeah sure, i'd be lying on the internet for no reason.

How the fuck is Windows ahead of Linux with respect to file systems and hardware support?

Yes.

FreeBSD is the best choice followed by OpenBSD. That said, BSD would be light years ahead of Shitnux if it had the same amount of developer focus. I don't know why we are continuing with the failed Torvald's experiment.

Attached: LIBERATORS.jpg (906x1330, 409K)

>FreeBSD is the best choice
*hugs*

Unix was shit, I don't know what your picture is supposed to imply.

ufs has all kinds of hacks to make it "modern", e.g. netbsd has some tweaks that enable journaling

Yeah, what about ath10k? Absolute shit. None of the 802.11ac atheros cards work last I checked. They are still working on it though, so maybe in about 6 years it'll be worth it