Is learning to code a worthwhile endeavor for someone who doesn't have a career in tech?

Is learning to code a worthwhile endeavor for someone who doesn't have a career in tech?

I'm a 24 year old legal aid and maybe its because I'm on the internet a lot but it seems everyone around me is more tech savvy than I am. I'm not a complete tard I built my desktop and got linux running on my old laptop, but if i wanted to run a game server or create a website I'd have no fucking clue where to begin.

Attached: 7028352-the-boy-of-ten-years-acts-part-mad-hacker.jpg (1300x863, 119K)

>maybe its because I'm on the internet a lot but it seems everyone around me is more tech savvy than I am. I'm not a complete tard I built my desktop and got linux running on my old laptop
you're less of a tard than 80% of people on the internet as a whole

You'd read about what you want to do, then do it.

Learning to code included, but it is not terribly related to running a game server.

I'd recommend learning python simply because you can automate so much crap

>learning to code

Unless you want to build software, there is no point in learning how to program.

This. If nothing else, learn some decent automation to save yourself a shitload of time doing menial tasks.

this
Vast majority of people who code don't do it for fun, it's purely for the sake of creating something.

this.

Edit: thanks for the gold kind stranger!

>Legal Aid

So like, The Secretary?

>t. I never had fun in my life
>t. I got a cs degree thinking I will get a good salary and now I hate my life

don't listen to them. coding is fun and you can use it to automate stuff or just writing some quick and dirty script to do some meager stuff you're too bored to do. you do need to have some curiosity and enthusiasm. when I was young I used to break open toys to see how they work and I thought Garry's mod was an amazing game so I probably see things through rose-tinted glasses

if you want my honest opinion you won't make ut past classes or pointers. you're better off learning Linux at first.

Thanks! Definitely something I could use
I'm a dude and my boss is a woman but other than that 100% accurate

why did you include a post that encouraged learning programming for automation you cum fountain

sorry, I meant to include

No.

Can you give some practical examples?

I feel like it's always beneficial and only makes you more valuable.

Looks like a young John Carmack

>mfw my main inspiration for initially learning python was because I wanted to build a unit converter because I was sick of googling conversions for my burger friends who still use a silly nonsensical system of measurement

It's a piece of shit program but it's mine.

don't do it, unless you absolutely love watching youtube tutorials all day.

> if i wanted to run a game server or create a website I'd have no fucking clue where to begin
learn then retard, I taught myself and now I work as a software dev doing some administration on the side

you have access to google - if you want to do something research how to do it

Op is a secretary, so off top of mind, use python to parse data (Excel or csv files) output data into new formats, or build graphs etc.

Like the others said: learn how to program in Python. It will help you automate shit.

You could also try installing gentoo on a VM to give yourself a huge boost in knowledge.