USB AUDIO INTERFACE

I've been exploring different options for usb audio interfaces that are compatiable with windows 10. I plan to record audio as well as use it for playback purposes. I need help with anyone who has experience with Behringer U-Phoria UMC202HD, Focusrite Scarlett Solo, and Steinberg UR12 Portable and knows which one is better thanks!

Attached: ScarlettSoloG2-medium.jpg (120x57, 5K)

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electret_microphone
thomann.de/ie/the_sssnake_sk3613_kabel.htm
thomann.de/ie/the_sssnake_spr2015.htm
anyforums.com/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Why don't you use your machine's built-in audio interface?

Because I want to record music with a DAW with external microphone.

Then why not connect a DAW straight to your native audio inputs?

You can do that with your internal audio interface though...

I had Scarlett solo and it kinda sucks. You don't have a knob for controlling the volume on your headphones separately from the overall volume on your system.
The latency was also a bit too big, it was noticeable.
The only reason people buy it is because it looks cute. Focusrite interfaces are only good in their highend range, their entry level is kinda meme.

I don't know the others. I have a Yamaha AG 03 and it's more than enough to manage everything audio for me. You don't really know what quality you're buying until you actually use them. That's why audio professionals buy and return audio equipment every month.

Also the Scarlett Solo has no balanced outputs, so if at some point you want a balanced connection with your monitors, you won't have that. They only have RCA output. That's one of the main reasons why I returned it.

The only cute thing about it is how it shows you live feedback on your input, with a dynamically coloured LED. And of course, it's red and it looks nice. But that's all. In all other aspects it's quite lacking and basic.

Not OP, but what audio interface will allow me to mix two inputs from two different pcs? Will any usb one with SPDIF input ports do? I also want to connect a mic to one of the computers, bonus points for the ability to toggle output between speakers and headphones and some kind of advanced routing (putting pc1 on speakers and pc2 on headphones with a single physical switch or something like that).

I like how you pic is made for ants

>DAW with external microphone.
You can't if you are using an external mic that needs phantom power.

This reply was actually meant to

My scarlet 2i2 has phantom power

My mic needs phantom power, so I just don't use that headset. I could technically get an adapter though.

The 2i2 is worth it, dont bother with the solo
T. 2i2 owner

The Behringer and Scarlett are basically the solid budget choices I've seen people recommend. I know two people who have the Behringer and have been very happy with it. The headphone amp sucks dick on higher volumes though.

Presonus looks pretty legit.
Seems like it's the exact same as fuckusrite, but cheaper, and bluer.

Listen to this guy. Much better features and specs.
t. Solo owner

Can confirm the headphone amp. If you have any live speakers (guitar amp, monitor, etc) going the headphones are easily drowned out. The Behringer can be a little bit noisy at high levels itself, but is really responsive, so best thing to do with it is turn the input channel down in the DAW until you find the floor, then turn up whatever you're running into it to an appropriate recording level. Otherwise does what it's supposed to do for the price, no driver issues in general.

My only gripe is that being powered by usb only will sometimes cause some issues on high gain levels, I've been considering a seperate power supply for this

I have the focusrite scarlett solo OP. 10/10 would recommend. Works with GNU/Linux btw

Irig seems to be decent. Comes bundles with amplitube

A lot of reviews saying it gets pretty hot when using the inputs which the Focusrite Scarlett does not.

They're all the same shit in different colors, and prices. Just buy the cheapest one that does what you want. Try the main chink who makes it all for those brands, and use third party software.

I have only used the Scarlett 2i4. It's pretty cool for me as a beginner. It can record my microkorg without issue having stereo audio and midi in the mix, got it at a very low price during xmas.

it is best to get umc22 unless you must have 24bit 192hz.

what mic are you pairing it with?

I have a scarlett solo, use it for a mic and my headphones. It works fine, but I don't really use it in a way thst would bring out any faults.

I did however have to use a pre pre amp on the mic because it wasn't giving enough gain, but that's probably my choice in microphone. The 48v output on it is nice though and can run the pre pre amp

>Windows 10
Drop anything Focusrite unless you want to deal with unplugging and plugging it back in every once in a while. A couple friends on discord have focusrite shit (solo/8i8) and I think it's when their PCs go to sleep that their shit starts garbling up hard. My UR22 has been perfect for me so far so I can definitely recommend the UR12, using it to record my SM58 and guitar/amp line out and I've got no complaints. Haven't used the Behringer so I can't compare.

scarlett makes shit for the price, get a steinberg ur22mk2

got some experience on this field. my first audio interface was a Scarlett 2i2, good case but recording quality and playback quality was me. then got a steinberg ur22 mk2, recording quality was decent and the audio quality of the monitor output is real nice, but I returned it because the volume knobs are tiny and are kinda bad to use, compared to those of a Scarlett. now I got a Scarlett 2i4 and the monitor outputs sound kinda bad, compared to the steinberg...
low end focusrite is average quality at best.

The only Chad usb audio interface

Attached: us-16x08_front.jpg (1600x371, 115K)

Check out RME gear, like Fireface UCX with TotalMix.

Yamaha AG03 (06 if you want more inputs)

Attached: ag035.jpg (915x825, 159K)

I use the UMC202HD with my M50's and my chink XLR-mic. Works great. Can't think of anything I'd change really.

they are all good. focusrite has the best inputs and kinda good outputs (headphone jack could be better). drivers are fine. I'm using 2i2 2nd gen
my good friend has behringer, he managed to break in somehow but while it worked it was comparably good too.
I did record some guitars (gibson gothic and fender bass) and I'm really satisfied with the quality of scarlett

I've been looking at the M-Audio M-Track 2X2. Should be a pretty nice interface.

>Behringer U-Phoria UMC202HD
I have the 204 instead of the 202, the 204 works perfectly fine on windblows 10 but I've heard the 202 has huge issues with drivers or something

also if you're recording more than one instrument you should get the umc404hd, then you won't need to unplug or change settings every time. especially useful if said instruments can use more than one input at a time

can confirm, i have to do it with my scarlett solo once or twice a week though my pc is on 24/7

not sure if it's more weirdness because of my motherboard (it hates being plugged in directly) or because i have it plugged into my monitor's usb hub and maybe that gets put into sleep mode when the screen goes to sleep or some shit

i got it on sale so it was cheap, at least

I have this and it's pretty solid for the price.
The only complaint I have is that it's white. I woulda prefered it in a darker colour or blue.

But in terms of features per price, I haven't seen anything of comparable quality. The drivers are also OK, they're made by Steinberg, actually.

It can do up to 24-bit 192kHz.

The same on my Solo.

Thinking of going 2Pre.
That way I can power my HD599 slightly better and also get balanced out for if I decide to get monitors that replace my Dali Concept 2.

Attached: led + headphones.jpg (2688x1512, 1.1M)

The Scarlett Solo is ok, but mine had some weird hiccoughs where I had to unplug it and plug it in again for it to work.

I do some podcasting as well as playing bass guitar and went for the Yamaha AG03 which is a very nice mixer / audio interface.

Can confirm. The only downside is the color, everything else about this thing is amazing. Ok, maybe they could add a noise gate to the EQ/compressor thing.

I have the scarlett solo to record my guitar in, but it has a really noticible lag
I tried raising the sample rate and decreasing the buffer size but it still has some lag in it
Any ideas?

There's a Hatsune Miku edition.

Attached: B4DF9903FD2A46B6B4B753967DAA31E7_12075.jpg (493x458, 50K)

oh mint it separates monitor and headphone outputs, that i could use but it's nearly 4x the price of the scarlett solo where i live

that yamaha AG03 looks interesting for the same reason though i always wonder how well any of these interfaces will do at driving headphones

since i only use microphone (no instruments, just spend a lot of time talking) i've also got the option of going full faggot with a usb mic (i have both versions of the AT2020) and a separate dac/amp for headphones

They tend to be rubbish and don't allow midi controls.

>They tend to be rubbish
On Macs they're pretty good (native low latency driver). Windows still kinda sucks there, though.
>don't allow midi controls
Most midi devices nowadays use USB.

Then there's the phantom power issue.
Plus I tend to record more than one thing at a time.

Same here, I just talk a lot and listen to music and games, and the Clarett can power 600Ohm headphones while the Scarlet only goes up to 80Ohm (state it can power 200Ohm, but with only 10Ohm from the headphone amp we know that 200Ohm headphones isn't gonna be great with it.

TotalMix smells like non-free software. I'd prefer a purely hardware based solution. Still, thanks for your input.

>non-free
Now this is retardation.

True. Non-open source isn't though. I want to be able to review code and compile it to binaries optimized for my architecture. Willingly running closed source code that is on top of that provided in precompiled binaries is pure retardation though.

How does the Behringer Q502 compare to this?
It seems to have about equal features for less than half the price.

Attached: preview_1.jpg (1200x1200, 218K)

The Behringer doesn't have ASIO drivers.
Also the Yamaha has a headset mic input, which is a pretty cool and unique feature.

>binaries optimized for my architecture

Attached: 1481934115301.jpg (707x682, 74K)

I don't understand why one being given a choice would prefer to waste cpu time.
Anyway, my main point is that I want all the controls to be physical as it's more conveinient than wasting screen space and keeping my hands on the "master" pc's keyboard all the time.

I don't understand why one being given a choice would prefer to compile a program themselves for some autistic placebo "benefit".
Give me some actual benchmarks that show a non-trivial benefit from using a program that is "optimized" for your x86 CPU vs one that someone else has compiled for their x86 CPU.

>The Behringer doesn't have ASIO drivers.
Does this matter on linux?

>Also the Yamaha has a headset mic input, which is a pretty cool and unique feature.
Why would anyone ever want to use a crappy headset mic with an audio interface?
And even if they really did, why couldn't they just use a 1/8" to 1/4" adapter?

I have no idea about the performance gain, but I'm assuming that O3 which I'm using does a better job than O2, which is default for most of package repositories. What I actually meant by optimized binaries are build flags and options to enable/disable certain functionalities.

>I had Scarlett solo and it kinda sucks. You don't have a knob for controlling the volume on your headphones separately from the overall volume on your system.
If you really need that 2i2 has it.
>The latency was also a bit too big, it was noticeable.
Bullshit, learn to ASIO.

Attached: 2_332306-860x326.jpg (576x218, 26K)

Alright lmao nice goalpost shifting.

He might be using the first gen (Black logo on top).

You obviously bought the wrong audio interface for your needs. 2i2 has everything you are bitching about.

>Does this matter on linux?
No.
>Why would anyone ever want to use a crappy headset mic with an audio interface?
Not every headset mic is crappy. And sometimes you just need to use it.
>And even if they really did, why couldn't they just use a 1/8" to 1/4" adapter?
Because it doesn't work that way.

Would a latest generation Scarlett solo provide better sound quality than my shitty internal Essence ST?

>Because it doesn't work that way.
Why not?

It's just a shitpost, considering that this thread should be dedicated to usb audio interfaces. Keep using whatever floats your boat and I'll do the same. Just shut up unless you know of an audio interface that meets my criteria.

chill out my dude

It's a different type of mic. Not the dynamic or the regular phantom powered one.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electret_microphone

Interesting, thanks for the link.

Why do autists insist on posting these kinds of posts? Fuck off, it is 100% counterproductive.

behringer is fucking SHIIIIITTTTT

Attached: 1540942791370.gif (316x286, 170K)

pic related.

I think the focusrite scarlet works fairly well. I use mine as my primary audio device for my laptop and use it for recording some casual guitar. I've had it a couple years with no issues as of yet. I had to change a setting to not have the usb plug go to sleep but besides that works great even in linux.

headphones are Sennheiser 6xx's.

Attached: picrelated.jpg (960x1280, 111K)

Can I get some citations for that claim please champ

Damn dude, been eyeing this quite a while know.
Would certainly be an upgrade too my shitty M-Audio Fast Track Pro.
The different inputs are definitely a plus.

This is probably a retarded question but can you plug an electric guitar directly into these things and then process in a DAW, or do you have to use the line out from a multi effects / mic up a cab?

its a big piece of shit. got mine for like 30 bucks. isnt worth any more.

What makes it a piece of shit and what do alternatives do better?

I hate when people fall for memes without an ounce of critical thought.
The first gen Focusrite USB interfaces were garbage, with shitty drivers and shitty headphone amps and mediocre I/O in general. Yet they were shilled all the time and retards who know nothing about audio bought them for god know what reason (the shiny red metal, I guess).
Now the second gen isn't as bad, but fuck it, it still makes me mad.

Just face it that when you tried to cheap out, you bought absolute bottom of the barrel chinkshit when you could've got a yamaha, steinberg or focusrite thats not much more expensive, is ten times better quality and'll last you forever

Attached: f567c72c.jpg (550x620, 49K)

I don't even own one but okay - I'm just wondering why you think it's so bad

I usually play electric out of an rp1000 (no hate please), but I just tested and it does work directly from guitar.

pic related again.

Attached: picrelated2.jpg (960x1280, 83K)

Alright, interesting to know, thanks for taking the time to test

Sure thing. Personally I've had no issues with mine, but experiences may vary.

It is software that controls "hardware" (which is FPGA really) mixer inside of RME audio interface. It is purely hardware, just controlled with a software.

And I forgot to add, that yes, its drivers and this software are proprietary and they are great.

If you do USB audio, you might invest in an externally powered USB hub. I found many motherboards will leak various frequencies into the 5v supply and cause buzzing or humming.

>its drivers and this software
drivers too? eh
All I want is an usb audio interface that is seen by system as digital audio output and input, with the ability to add output from another pc and mix both. Is this use case really that uncommon?

that makes it almost worth it

how do you know I'm not an ant?

Is the 2i2 big enough to plug in a DJ mixer at the same time as laptop to monitors?

Can I record sets from my mixer to my laptop with it?

Sorry but I'm new to all this

What does your mixer output?

This thing looks great

>it's red and it looks nice
it's red because your input is clipping lol

The 2nd gen Scarlet Solo still sucks ass imo. RCA outputs, no knob for headphones monitoring, no hybrid XLR input, huge latency if you use its drivers.

Brainlets still buy it because "it's red and cute and has a retro look which matches my macbook".

make way, plebs

Attached: apollo.jpg (3440x2295, 1.05M)

You are dumb and bought the wrong interface for your needs

OP get a b stock 2i2, it has everything you need and is good quality. Drivers are solid, preamps are good. It has dual mic and instrument connections and balanced outs for speakers and a separate knob for headphones

How is an interface even supposed to work without a dedicated knob for controlling the volume on your headphones lmao.

And only RCA outputs? And that huge latency?

This doesn't fit anyone's need. And I already said only the high end Focusrite interfaces are ok, the entry-level ones are crap.

A few weeks ago a sound engineer friend told me his 2i2 is busted, he had to send it back to service, it was producing some weird crackling noises.

Why when i plug my scarlett 212 in i get massive static and even more when i plug my studio monitors in? havent been able to use them on my desktop which is frustrating considering thats why i bought them

yes you can connect the master output to the line-in of the 2i2

2x mono 1/4" to 2x mono 1/4" or 2x mono 1/4" to stereo RCA depending on the output of your mixer

thomann.de/ie/the_sssnake_sk3613_kabel.htm
thomann.de/ie/the_sssnake_spr2015.htm

set 2i2 to "Line" rather than "Inst" on the front.

>Brainlets still buy it because "it's red and cute and has a retro look which matches my macbook".
And tech wannabees will scoff and stroke their antique ThinkPad lookalikes.