2 gb of ram meme

If you still have 2 gb of ram post ITT.

>why do you choose the 2 gb of ram meme?
>what websites do you use?
>what techniques do you use to keep firefox from crashing?
>what does your linux desktop look like under the hood?
>what applications do you use?
>any other general comments?

Attached: forte se -2gb.jpg (300x200, 21K)

>why
No money, need to take notes in class, so I went cheap
>what websites
Basically anything
>how you deal with memory pressure
Surprisingly enough windows (when it has to) has competent memory compression
>OS?
I have an Asus E200HA, which is actively Linux hostile. These chinks managed to fuck up fucking memory mapping of peripherals in the bios
Only windows is able to crash and fix it, Linux just keeps going and the memory mapping error just stays
My trackpad doesn't work, my keyboard doesn't work, my audio doesn't work, my wifi and Bluetooth don't work, sometimes it just won't boot.
>what programs
Basically anything that fits on my 32gb
>Comments
Basically note taking machine because of wrist injuries
Battery lasts 14h which is pretty nice

Unused RAM is wasted RAM. So I use 100% of my RAM 100% of the time.

Because it's a core 2 laptop from 2007, and it's not worth upgrading
Jow Forums and google docs (for school)
>what techniques do you use to manage ram usage?
It's not been a problem so far. just to test it, I ran steam, hwmonitor, and ungoogled chrome with 15 tabs, and it only got up to 1.5gb used
It looks like windows 8.1 emmbedded industy pro with classic shell installed
steam and word
I got it for free, so I'm quite happy with it

2gb was still a lot of ram for a phone five years ago. That's what my phone has. The rest of my stuff has more.

>Because it's a core 2 laptop from 2007, and it's not worth upgrading
You don't think $10 for twice your current capacity is worth it?

i'd rly like 2 more 2bh but 2 is still usable
>posted from gnome3 with chromium and FF running

the only other thing i'll say is that it gets shitty once swapping starts or when something rapidly fills the ram and forces swapping in seconds

I bought a t8300 for $3, and it's a lot faster than my old cpu, but $15 for 2 extra gb of ram that I don't need is asking a bit much

I threw void on a 2GB laptop at work for fun, I'll probably be posting from it later
mostly I've been setting up void and not doing anything else though
Fujitsu T1010, screen is shit but keyboard and trackpad are super comfy

I have 1GB of RAM. Get fucked

My shitty Samsung J7 has only 2gib of RAM but it works well enough.

It's a tablet, not my daily driver

>why
I bought a shitty Windows tablet meant for VNs and you can't upgrade the RAM

>What websites
Pretty much just torrent trackers and Jow Forums and some news sites

>keep FF from crashing
Nothing really, it's stock, I just try not to use too many extensions but the essentials and try to stay under 5 tabs at once.

>linux look like
Pretty much stock KDE (on Kubuntu 19.04)

>apps you use
FF and MPV mainly

>comments
Yeah fuck any tablets that aren't a recent gen i5 or i7. Don't fall for the cheap Windows tablet meme. I guess don't fall for any tablet meme. If you do have a shitty tablet, that's at least Windows, a Linux distro maybe better suited for it. Windows 10 isn't meant to be run on sub par hardware.

>why
comfy
>websites
whatever I guess, haven't seen much issue if I don't have too many tabs open
>firefox?
vimb is best browser
>linux?
arch, pretty lightweight setup
>apps?
off the dome: vimb and geany mostly
>comments
I mostly use it for class or doing hw in my bed. My desktop is specced out

2gb of ram is uncomfy

3gigs here
>any website? Never had a problem
>No techniques needed, hasnt crashed with more than 10 tabs open
>debian with dwm if I need X, tmux if not
>lightweight applications mostly

sure thing OP

Attached: Screenshot_20190225-001521.png (1080x1920, 84K)

I've got 32GB. Why? Cause that's the max my board could take and at the time DDR3 was cheap as shit. Now I'm glad cause ram will never be an issue for me and prices are insane. So let that be a lesson to all; when shit is cheap buy the fuck outta it. Max out that board, even if you never use it all you can sell part of that shit later for loads of profit.

t60 dinkpad user here i got 4gb but chipset fuckery means only 3.2gb is usable. debian + xfce + firefux + pisscord + spotify is able to stay under 2gb usage & very little swap. less shitty chat + music player and youd be sitting pretty with 2gb in your shitposter

>2GB

lol That'd be nice. Mine has 512 and a portion of that is actually used as the VRAM. I opened it up and everything is SMD and can't be upgraded since there's grey blob epoxy all over everything too. Same for the SSD, all SMD.

Shit mane. Tbf I was using 256mb ThinkPad (probably a g series but idr) that would crash on multiple tabs on anything that wasn't ie6. That was 2012 though so I'm guessing the modern web is way worse

>that cope for being a ramlet

Attached: Screen Shot 2019-02-25 at 1.08.21 AM.png (3360x1446, 407K)

>Cause I'm still using my r50e
>Jow Forums
>None
>Lubuntu cause I'm too big of a retard to install gentto
>Ff

>Capacity: 86GHz
I'm not sure it works that way

>I know more than the largest virtualization company

>marketing dept. of that biggest company.

Does the capacity change when some cores enter turbo boost or lower power states (lower GHz too)

I can't find a better phone.
Almost none.
>what techniques do you use to keep firefox from crashing?
uBlockOrigin disables all js by default.
It's LineageOS.
Clover and chat apps.
It'll work fine for another 5 years.

Wouldn't that be CPU dependent? I'm pretty sure the maximum throughput of a CPU is typically static after boot. Hence, the computational capacity metric would also be.

If your CPU clusters runs at xHZ under load, then your capacity is X. How else would you measure it?

i have less than that on my phone and i use it for the same sites as i would on a desktop more or less.
4chanx + greasemonkey + firefox mobile is nearly unusable bloat, but thats also true of desktops, where ive migrated to palememe.
lightning is fast as shit, but the lack of a good adblocker kills it for ad-filled cancerscript websites. so basically im obligated to run firefox with ublock as well if im desperate enough to visit these dubious tube sites on my phone.

>crashing
never happened on the desktop, though on mobile it often gets to the point that it crashes as soon as it starts to load the last opened tab.
despite that small mercy, firefox on the desktop is still unbearable garbage, so you should just eliminate it from your life rather than fight a losing effort to wrangle it into submission.

>other comments
the only main sticking point with low memory on desktops is with image or video editing.
i know from experience that even something simple like cropping a photo to make a wallpaper can crash or render you computer unresponsive.

Max boost is thermal dependent too. Not a boot time constant.

While technically true, it shouldn't be a consideration for that metric imo.
At a physical level, you should maintain thermal temperatures, so that they DON'T hit throttle. Obviously this is ideal and not always practical, but I think that makes more sense than accepting thermal throttle as a normal expectation during operation.
That is to say, redlining is possible, but you shouldn't expect to be in that range. The whole point is to prevent damage. You should instead take the responsibility of finding a way to operate at max capacity, while maintaining thermal range of the hardware spec.
i.e. find a way to run at 100% load at X degrees for Y time within arbitrary bound of expectation Z.

Attached: Honda_CBR_600_tachometer.jpg (3888x2592, 3.12M)

How does that 86GHz capacity take into consideration the fact that there are 5GHz pentium4's. I bet they're twice as current 2.5GHz chips.

My whole point was that freq capacity is retarded, what matters is core count capacity

I used a Satellite L300 that I got for free until two years ago. It had a single 2GB stick, with 2nd slot being dead so no upgrades.
Windows was a pain with 2GB of RAM, so I installed Debian + xfce, I had no problems with running out of RAM since then, unless I opened like 20+ tabs in firefox.