What desktop environment should I put on my freshly installed meme distro?

What desktop environment should I put on my freshly installed meme distro?

Attached: Archlinux-icon-crystal-64.svg.png (1024x1024, 60K)

XFCE

dwm

Xfce

dwm since you are an ostentatious faggot

uninstall arch install gentoo

>Reply
Unity.

just put larbs on it and reverse engineer all lukes cool shits. teach you a lot and then you will actually know what you wanna do without asking Jow Forumstards

Attached: 3am.gif (499x428, 491K)

Windows

>actually ""know"" what you want to do by blindly following another's man """"customizations""""" while claiming how customizable arch is
Thanks, I'll pass.

ok then you know already i guess. i didnt know shit when i started but studying his scripts and how he did things helped me a lot.

no DE, just i3

No graphical interface whatsoever.

this, operate out of a tty menu or else you're not a real programmer

Attached: 1523895013821.jpg (400x364, 17K)

Why specifically i3?

I would unironically do this if I didn't need a web browser

XMonad

Gnome

Attached: gnome.jpg (820x1049, 131K)

KDE Plasma

Deepin

use a text only web browser

KDE nigga

/thread

DE is bloat, i3's tiling is more like what everyone expect from a tiling wm to behave.

the only one that actually works: Xfce.

You could have got all the same information by simply reading the i3 man pages and learning how BASH works. Dum dum.

If your ressources are not limited use xfce or kde. If you have a very shitty PC use wmaker. If you have a REALLY shitty pc use 9wm.

>DE is bloat
How the fuck does this lead you to concluding that you should use i3?
>i3's tiling is more like what everyone expect from a tiling wm to behave
Are you sure you aren't projecting your own expectations of pleb-tier tiling WM behavior onto other people?

KDE

enlightenment

Attached: edi-screen3.jpg (2560x1440, 608K)

DE has nothing to do with my WM preference.
>Are you sure you aren't projecting your own expectations of pleb-tier tiling WM behavior onto other people?
Probably

Literally xfce.
>light af
>looks decent

>9wm
Why not just use rio?

he's retarded ignore him. I use i3 because I don't know better, the behaviour is shit actually. It is very manual and souless.
It splits windows horizontally by default, when in reality you want something like dwm behaves, one main window and various windows stacked on the other side.
Though I won't recommend dwm because configuring it is autistic, while i3 has a config file, dwm is configured in C. It's just a bit different on syntax, but it misses shit that it needs by default like font support. It fucking crashes when it tries to display an emoji.
God why are developers so autistic

/thread

i3

the moment you try to use arch as a desktop os you realize how shit it is.
Is not compliant to xdg desktop shit, when you try to open a terminal it will not launch probably because the locale is fucked up by default. Everything in arch is fucked up by default so you have to fix it. And upgrades just fuck it up again so you have to do it again.
Most retarded hobbyist distro not even gentoo is that bad

Underrated

i3 if you want memes.
GNOME if you want to get things done.

The only one that isn't shit: Xfce.

i3-gaps if you want *fetch thread cred
KDE if you want your computer to be actually useful

>KDE if you want your computer to krash
FTFY

works on my machine

Attached: -Nisekoi 13-2016-09-20_01-38-04error497.png (1280x738, 648K)

>*fetch thread cred
But anyone with a brain in those threads rightfully shits on i3.

>anyone with a brain
there's your problem

Everyone else doesn't count.

Not even him but
>learning by example is bad

this, I use i3 and is a pain in the ass. I just use it because I already made it look good. Dwm is better behaviour but is shit because it cripples fonts and customization

Quite possibly the ugliest desktop I've seen

its incredibly lightweight, has full compositing and (admittedly a wip) wayland support, has a suite of pretty cool apps, and nice retro NeXT/CDE/Amiga vibes with the dock/panel concept, even if the default theme is kinda cringe.
Not to mention whatever else its failing may be, what a blessed relief it is to escape gtk or qt framework cancer.

The only other project like it is EDE (using FLTK) and thats pretty much dead in the water.

this. I run foot too.

Install Gentoo+xmonad.

Try out xmonad. It's dwm, except better and with a much less autistic community.

can I use it without recompiling? the major drawback on dwm for me is that it fucking crashes when displaying certain fonts from Firefox titles. Like I would be using it no brainer right now if it wasn't because of that bullshit

Meme i3 for your meme distro.

Unfortunately not, you still have to recompile it.
However, it does offer a built-in command to recompile it and reload it in-place, so it's not much different than i3, in practice, in that regard.
The real advantage over dwm is that it's much easier to extend, having a proper module support instead of the retarded patch system.
I have never had a problem similar to the one you described on xmonad, but I wouldn't rule it out.

LXDE

>can I use it without recompiling?
You can just press a hotkey to recompile your config and reload the running xmonad binary with your new one.

emacs.

That's not a desktop environment.

Why do people hate i3 in particular when it's basically the same as ever other tiling WM?

>basically the same as ever other tiling WM
No.

>i3
i7 is faster

It just happens to be the most popular bad WM. There's other even worse options like awesome, but nobody uses that piece of bloatware so nobody feels the need to shit on it.

KDE Plasma with bspwm

literally this

Arch provides a lovely presentation of KDE. I forget the exact command, but there's a way to get pacman to list the contents of the metapackage, then just copy paste the obvious neccessities and the things you want, and let pacman figure out the deps and shit. Even the smaller kde metapack is quite big. You can repeat the same thing for other seperate metapacks for games etc. There's a few of them. Needless to say, the big metapackage is yuge.

What's bad about it though?

"plasma" is the package that lets you choose exactly what you want from the kde/plasma environment
"plasma-meta" installs everything
"plasma-desktop" installs just the desktop without any apps

its not dwm

i3
No fuck it
Just use cli you faggot

Install KDE for the superior suite of applications. Then if you want, you can also install a tiling window meemager later.
>Tiling window meemager. I just made that up now.

So list the contents of plasma-meta I guess.
pacman will do it, I just don't remember the paramaters.

Because, despite its popularity, it just doesn't work well.
I'm not even bringing up "bloat" or other autistic shit. From a purely functional point of view, it just doesn't offer a pleasant working experience.
The way i3 manages layouts has you moving around windows all the time, resizing them, etc., therefore actually adding mental overhead and making you less productive.
Merely "tiling" windows is not enough. A good wm should also arrange windows automatically for you, so that you can concentrate on your work.
I've personally tried out awesome, dwm and xmonad, and they are all better than i3.
I used the latter for over a year, and looking back, I wish I had switched sooner.

because it fucking makes no sense to tile everything horizontally by default. Dwm gets it right because it always leaves you with a big main window.
I don't know how bspwm is but I bet is better than i3, and I tell you this using i3

Attached: 20190223215954_1600x900_scrot.png (1600x900, 496K)

Why are you using i3 then, if you don't like it and know about alternatives?

dwm is so autistic it crashes because it can't display some fonts. I think there might be a patch for that but I needed to do shit on my laptop instead of fiddling around. I could have tried xmonad though. Awesome has a cringe name, and I think I tried bspwm for a few seconds and closed it because I didn't know how to use it

>tried bspwm for a few seconds and closed it because I didn't know how to use it
do you have autism, user? you know you can use a search engine in your working i3 to learn things about bspwm, right?

I heard about emojis making it crash, what fonts in particular gave you problems?
Although I remember there being some patch for that.

bspwm is my favorite.
but I think out of the box it's a bit limited.
I can't really remember because I've been using it fully configured for so long now.
I think what kept most people from using bspwm is the weird fibonacci tiling that is (at least used to be) default.
But iirc a recent update changed the default automatic mode or at least gives options to configure it.

awesome WM best WM
DEs are for retards

tmux in linux vc
fuck X

Yeah, 0.9.6 from 2 weeks ago added the automatic_scheme option.

KDE

TTY only, DE is bloat

Kde Plasma. It "Just works".

what's the most lightweight wm setup? I'm on openbox+tint2 out of momentum, but need to reinstall soon
I have a tiny shit laptop screen, so I only ever use a single fullscreen program at a time (varying desktops/windows) I also use tmux, but that's the same anywhere

>tfw I wrote my own Awesomewm status bar script to display temps, CPU, etc. because I didn't realise ones already existed

genjew

skip getting a DE and go for a Tiling WM

Attached: iusearchbtw.jpg (480x360, 19K)

DWM or i3 lol

> DE
WM, 2bwm

I really love Arch because without Arch I couldn't use Manjaro

I'm using dwm right now but I don't seem to find the patch anywhere, there's the workaround in the mailing list but I haven't tried if it works.
It is comfy as fuck but if I were to open a page in firefox with certain characters like emojis it would crash. Literally mac tier

Attached: 2019-02-25-213627_1600x900_scrot.png (1600x900, 949K)

I just tested apparently it doesn't crash anymore with last version.
Notice how there's a space where the emoji would be in the title. I don't know if it's because of the last git version or the last version I'm using from fedora.
dwm-user is godsend
only using the pertag patch

Attached: 2019-02-25-220446_1600x900_scrot.png (1600x900, 232K)

plasma

KDE if you want thumbails in your file picker

arch would be so good if it didnt use fucking systemd. how is that KISS at all?

>arch would be so good
No, it wouldn't be.

it would be because i actually used it before the transition