/tpg/ - ThinkPad General

Kyle Edition

Previous thread: Don't buy anything OTHER THAN IBM/Lenovo ThinkPad T, X, and W/P Series if you want the Real Business Experience™!
>Other business laptops are welcome in /tpg/ (Dell Latitude/Precision, HP EliteBook/ZBook).

Libreboot-compatible models:
>T60 (check lcd), X60(s/t.), X200(s/t. -s requires soldering), T400(s), T500, W500.

Modern models:
>X220/X230 - 12", 768p, cheap and light
>T420/T430 - 14", 900p, socketed CPU, quadcore-compatible
>T520/T530, W520/W530 - 15", 1080p, desktop replacement
>T440s/T450s - best price/performance ultraportable
>T440p, T540p, W540/1 - last models with socketed processors

Upgraded models:
>X210 - X200/X201, i5 8250U quadcore
>X62 - X61, i5 5250U
>T70 - T60, i7 7700HQ
High-res IPS displays, USB 3.0, M.2 x4, mini-DP
forum.51nb.com/forum.php?mod=forumdisplay&fid=117

Why ThinkPad?
>Used machines are plentiful and cheap
>Excellent keyboards - tactile feel and quiet
>Great durability: magnesium rollcage for structural integrity, high quality plastic body panels
>Utilitarian design: indicator LEDs, 7 row keyboard layout on older models
>Docking stations that easily turns your laptop into a desktop
>Easy to repair (most models), upgrade & maintain thanks to readily available service manuals for every model, spare parts easy & cheap to obtain
>The TrackPoint™, great for those who type a lot or hate swiping their fingers all over a touchpad
>Excellent GNU/Linux & *BSD support

Helpful links:
>Buyers guide:
dankpads.com/tpg/
>thinkpad-tech-tree.txt - a plaintext map of ThinkPad history:
github.com/Monkeyfume/thinkpad-tech-tree/blob/master/thinkpad-tech-tree.txt
>ThinkWiki - info on ThinkPads & running GNU/Linux on them:
thinkwiki.org/wiki/ThinkWiki
>Coreboot compatibility list:
coreboot.org/status/board-status.html
>BIOS logo booru:
biosimage.booru.org

Attached: kyle2.jpg (2976x3968, 2.47M)

Other urls found in this thread:

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buckfast_Tonic_Wine
notebookcheck.net/Lenovo-ThinkPad-T490s-T490-T590-Sleeker-designs-brighter-screens-but-less-flexibility.410641.0.html
github.com/hamishcoleman/thinkpad-ec
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

anti-lolis

X62 when

yes but not all of that at once

asking this again.
In fact, I'd like to buy even more upgrade parts for the T420.
I'm planning to upgrade to 16GB RAM, do the X1 Carbon LCD mod, USB 3.0 ExpressCard, i7-2670QM CPU, as well as the battery upgrade.

Since I already have a good SSD and HDD lying around, the upgrade will cost me $350USD. including shipping.
Worth it or should I just get a higher-end laptop?

Yep it's pretty fantastic for it, dual-core with hyperthreading makes it pretty zippy but it's first gen core-i so it may be a bit limiting. But it is prime for shitposting and video watching.

So, shotas?

Attached: x60 poju.jpg (756x1008, 244K)

Why not T430 for the sake of coreboot?

I'm planning on placing an x61 mobo in my x60t. pray the fan fits in senpai

I found a good deal for the t420, at $113usd pick up close to where I am. All my local IRL thinkpad friends use the t420 as well

You mean X61t, right? Regular X61 will absolutely not fit into a tablet chassis

Tablet best X series. I have an X61 Tablet and I'm thoroughly impressed by the built-in Wacom tablet. It's essentially a poor man's Surface.

>dual core with hyperthreading
will I lose much if I don't use hT? I don't plan to use it given its vulnerabilities
also what about the keyboard? is that as good as the praised x220's? if not am I able to replace it?
thanks anons

did they laugh at you for having anime desktop?

Someone please put an x60s on eBay please.

You brought a bottle of wine to class?

What is the thing above the memory card reader on an x240?

I do all that on an X200s
My X200s is 1440x900
It sort of struggles watching 480p via youtube, and by struggle i just mean it pushes the cpu *nearly* to its limit and starts to run hot. However, if i am watching a video via smplayer or vlc it doesnt struggle at all at 720p

tfw supply dried out and every time a not-crusty X60-anything comes on eBay it's over $100
At least I was able to snag two display assemblies to attempt to fix up my X60s-es that have no screen

Attached: here we go.png (800x850, 135K)

t420 can run coreboot. t420s is questionable. both the t430 and t430s are known to work with coreboot

x61s will fit
non s x61 is indeed a bad idea. I bet its not that hard to fit, but you will have to use the smaller tablet heatsink on a cpu that wants a much bigger heatsink. not recommended at all

I just bought an X61T from eBay with the 1400x1050 IPS outdoor-rated display
I plan on replacing the backlight with an LED one
If the battery life with the LED backlight comes close to my X200s 1440x900, then I am going to switch to the X61T as my school laptop

What does everyone think these 2 are worth, out of curiosity

Surface is fucking garbage
Rated as the least serviceable laptop, even worse than the worst macbook airs and shit

X61t had the bubbling issue but they still go for like $200 at least. X200s WSXGA is $150-$250ish depending on what's inside it, but I snagged mine for like $120.
Battery life is a bit less but still close to a X200s. Well, that is comparing my X60t to my X200s.

bump. i cant find this answer anywhere. im guessing its for like an LTE card or something

awesome, I'll download videos with youtube-dl then watch it using vlc/mpv/mpc-hc
thanks user

Damn, I got good deals on both of them I guess. I got the X60T for $140 shipped, but then again it has no battery included. No bubbling issue though

The X200s I got for $140 shipped also, that one I am definitely going to sell at some point since I actually have 2x 1440x900 X200s

I also have a 1600x1200 IPS T43p, a 1600x1200 IPS T60p, a 240X, and a 1920x1200 W500. I love me some high res thinkpads.

Any idea what the T43p is worth with a barely functioning backlight?

I do that sometimes. Most of the time I just try to watch videos on youtube at 480p and if it gets too hot ill switch to 360p. Im sure there is a way, but I dont know what it is, to just have videos on youtube automatically open in smplayer/vlc

theres an alternative to using youtube-dl. you can just copy the url and choose open stream in smplayer/vlc. This also allows low CPU use while watching 720p

my t420 is a nice compy

Attached: 1533263880228.jpg (960x906, 68K)

Damn dude you really have the haul. Like, all of those are my dream. The T43p if the back light was fine would probably be at least $400.

Attached: 1502166410270.png (640x1136, 1.12M)

Should I buy Chinese replacement rubber for my wornout clit mouse?

once I have it in my hands I'll try and test all that, thanks!

holy crap, why is it worth that much? it seems to be worth more than the T60p. Or is the T60p worth that much too? Actually, there were 2 LCD options in the 1600x1200 IPS T60p. One is able to easily be modded to accept an LED backlight, and is worth about $100 more. If mine has the non LED moddable backlight, I may sell it.

I got the T60p for $200 shipped recently. I got the T43p 5 years ago for I think $80 off craigslist, maybe it was like $150 I cant remember

The W500 seems like a pain to work on, kind of annoying compared to my X200s, I may sell that one too for that reason, but maybe I can ignore that aspect and enjoy the massive resolution

are you using an extension to force h.264 on youtube? VP9 is only single thread decode, 264 is multithread and a lot less intensive in general

I am guessing your X61t has the original CCFL backlight? So, if I modded mine to LED, do you think the battery life might just about match the X200s?

no, i am not using an extension. So you are saying I should use one? any specific recommendations?

Fug, I ordered an x61t motherboard. Is it rip? I know that for some reason my regular x61 is a 3 pin fan header, compared to the 4 pin x60t header for some reason too

Yeah if you just want to buy a bunch of inexpensive ones. If you want the genuine pack with the Classic Dome and Soft Rim the part number is 91P8421, there are plenty on eBay for like $3-4. Or you can buy the pack from Lelnovo themselves for like $9.

Hmm, I don't know, but xiphmont's site says there's a bit more efficiency. Anything that can improve it is good, and the LED mod is worth doing even without. Keep in mind the X60 has an older CPU that would be at peak more often, and older batteries. My X60t can go around 3.5 to 4 hours light use with the big battery where my X200s can go 5ish.

Also in my extremely unprofessional experience of just using it a lot, an SSD can squeeze out like 20 more minutes of battery

L430 for 50$, should I cop?

Can you clarify what you are wanting to do?

x60s, x60t, x61s, and x61t boards are all interchangeable

x60 and x61 boards are interchangeable

you *might* be able to put an ( x60s / x60t / x61s / x61t ) board into an ( x60 / x61 ). my understanding is the heatsink mates with the cpu at different heights so you would probably have to modify the ( x60 / x61 ) heatsink, or possibly use the ( x60s / x61s / x60t / x61t ) heatsink

you should *not* try to put an ( x60 / x61 ) board into an ( x60s / x60t / x61s / x61t )

How are chinese batteries for the X61T? I can not find any genuine ones, so looks like i am going to have to go with chinese. i am not concerned with a little less capacity as much as i am with improper voltages or high probability of catching fire

ey guys, im new to thinkpads and i just have a few questions regarding them(t440p one in particular because i see a good deal online for one)
1. if all i need it for is school related work and arduino programming stuff, will it work pleasantly well(as in, not lag/freeze)
2. how much can i realistically expect a seconde hand machine to last. the t440 i mentioned is listed as "impecable".
3. will 4ram suffice, or should i consider the cost of upgrading to 8

>you will never be a Chinese battery

Attached: 1456233943832.png (640x480, 43K)

1) yes
2) my primary laptop is a 10 year old thinkpad. i have owned it for over 5 years. it works fine
3) you should upgrade to 8, even my 10 year old thinkpad has more than 4gb ram

Yeah people keep switching around their X6x models in this conversation, fuck.

With regards to the heatsink the only thing different between X60 and X60s is that the fins are thiccer. If you look at the exhaust side by side you can see that. The boards are the same. X60 heatsinks have copper contact areas while the X60s has aluminum. (There is one X60s heatsink that has copper contact area but it's uncommon and I've never been able to find one, as it has the same FRU as the others.)

But yeah I never knew the Tablet boards were interchangeable with the regular ones but, one thing I do believe that makes them incompatible is the display. All the displays on the Tablets used a different cable, this is why you need a custom/modded cable to stick an IPS screen from a Tablet into a traditional X60

Attached: 6b16f729f835e7b1e4e280ccb924cb7d1e117f085c8daa8a81379b049bb67b4b.png (249x238, 48K)

thanks man. also, whats about those desktop replacements, how do they actually work?

>stick an IPS screen from a Tablet into a traditional X60
to stick a ( X60t / X61t ) display into a non tablet you also have to de-bond the touch panel, otherwise it won't fit

well, is it possible that the CPUs themselves are different heights? like maybe the non s cpu sits 1mm higher than the s/t cpus. seems somewhat plausible since this is low voltage vs standard voltage variants. and 1mm height different is enough to make a heatsink not sit flush against the cpu. i know this because i removed a 1mm thermal-pad from my t43p and replaced it with arctic silver, and it now idles at like nearly 90C

bump again

Express Card 34mm if I'm not mistaken

>Food is expired
>Contains e450
You just eat whatever you find in he gutter, no?

Did I do good? It's the 6th gen

Attached: screenshot-www.ebay.co.uk-2019.02.25-09-52-42.png (877x223, 43K)

i think you are mistaken

My x230 is waning and my wallet is light do i get Chinkbattery or OEM?

>pic related,
Are these a middlegorund?
Anyone got reliable a seller?

Attached: kvme6f-alt1.jpg (300x300, 17K)

Thanks for all the helpful info mates. I was planning on placing an X61t mobo into an X60t. I I initially tried placing an x61 into an X60t
(i own both), but the fan wouldnt fit, and for some reason the fan headers were different (3 vs 4).

Y'all mind if I just

Attached: 52883841_402965120490990_2003798965971058688_n.jpg (464x960, 56K)

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buckfast_Tonic_Wine

those jeans

/tpg/ is now Kyle general.

Also there's a i5 X230T on sale for ~70€ with ~30€ shipping to yurope so ~100€ total.
Doesn't have a disk, RAM or a charger but I have a pile of spare memory, a few SSDs laying around and an extra charger.
Keyboard layout wouldn't be an issue either as I have a (possibly) fixed X220 keyboard and a palmrest laying around and in case that doesn't work I also have my X230 keyboard from when I did the swap to this so that's guaranteed to work.

Problem with it is that the battery is apparently "bad" and that'd cost >40€ to replace if I wanted to use it for uni stuff.
I do also already have a regular X230 from which I am posting right now so someone just please convince me that I don't need that tablet and that it's a bad deal overall.
Also I have literally never seen a tablet being sold where I live so shipping costs are unfortunately unavoidable.

Attached: 1523919339463.png (898x376, 145K)

Is refurbished t440 good laptop? I want thinkpad because of how well they're built but don't want to have too outdated hardware

absolute madman
is that what i think it is ???

Attached: It sure is..png (1227x873, 219K)

I haven't had a bottle of Bucky in over a decade. But it was the drink of choice from the ages of 13-23. Bottle of wine, six cans of Stella and 20 B&H up the park on a Friday & Saturday night. Then I got sophisticated and switched to Guinness when I started going to the bar. But if there was a house party after, you'd get a bottle of Buckfast from behind the bar before closing. Just the smell of it will make my stomach churn these days.

I don't remember much of the weekends of my teens and early 20s.

>/tpg/ is now Kyle general.
Fuck you Kyle.

I ain't Kyle if that's what you're implying.

Pretty okay deal, but the issue of bringing that here in europe is the goddamn customs and the VAT that gets slapped on top of that price, so take that in concideration.

Also is it confirmed to be in working condition?
How's the condition overall?

oh my god
how can you access it ???
i tried all guides and the one on /h/ but no fucking luck???

From what I gather it's supposed to be in working condition, just missing RAM and something to boot off of. There's only one picture and it seems to look fine in that but the seller just says that "This is used..".

Clear your cookies if you ever got panda.

Attached: 1521585622594.jpg (600x600, 25K)

yee

"I didn't ask for this"

Attached: 2019-02-25-134232_1600x1200_scrot.png (1600x1200, 447K)

>facebook

>facebook
come on Kyle I thought you were cool.

Had to make one for work and uni prease understandu

Hmm that sucks but I guess I can understand it in that case.

>Had to make one for work and uni prease understandu
No you didn't. You felt you had to make one. There's a difference. Absolutely no Uni in the UK requires Facebook for anything of any importance related to your studies.

Kill yourself you fucking failed abortion.

1. Yes
2. Posting from 8 years old thinkpad
3. Depends on OS, if you plan on running Windows or loonix with KDE or Gnome, then upgrade to 8. For more minimal DEs (or even older Windows), 4gig should suffice.

ACPI recently stopped detecting the battery in my S230u, and I've ruled out the possibility of a software/firmware issue. If I end up having to replace the battery, is an Amanda brand battery good enough, or do I need to spend an extra $100 for a genuine Lenovo battery?

>x240
Yes, it is a SIM card slot, took me literally 20 seconds of googleing.

notebookcheck.net/Lenovo-ThinkPad-T490s-T490-T590-Sleeker-designs-brighter-screens-but-less-flexibility.410641.0.html

Never upgrading from x230.

x201 is cutest and comfiest thinkpad

Attached: 1550919359133540.jpg (1740x2320, 1.87M)

I own t480s and t490s looks like a downgrade desu

win 10 is actually more lightweight than win7, it just shits itself when using a hdd for the os drive

Based Bucky poster. Made by monks, drunk by punks.

The T470 has thunderbolt, 2.5-inch bay and docking connector, imo it's the last Thinkpad I'd consider buying.

Ive been on linux for a while now, but i remember having slowdowns on like 6 tabs open, wich definitely wasnt the case on Win7 (both with 4gigs). Its possible that its just chrome that got that much more bloated but i think its not just that.
But yeah, thats a good point, , SSD makes everything much more snappy.

it also has 2 core ulv which is vastly inferior to the 4 core ulv, I personally don't care for 2.5 inch bay although T480 does have it and docking connector well, thunderbolt is universal and you can buy and use non lenovo docks which can be a superior alternative, but they even trashed T490 by removing power bridge from it, the whole 9th gen seems like a mess and this comes from someone who actually likes nupads

The 2.5" bay is horrible waste of space.

I bought a new battery for my x230t from amazon. It says something like "incompatible battery" when booting. Is there anyway round this?
I could use it but it wouldnt charge

That's what you ger for buying a chink battery. Needs a bios mod for it to work I think

This. You can either flash modified bios with removed whitelist or go for full coreboot.
Or, of course, buy an original battery, thats where not reading up first gets you...

Are there any ThinkPad lines worth checking out other than the T series and X series?

W/P-series and that's it.

When I booted it up this morning, ACPI was able to detect the battery once again. Running dmesg | grep battery shows that "battery: new extension: ThinkPad Battery Extension" occurs prior to ACPI attempting to find the battery. When ACPI wasn't detecting the battery, ThinkPad Battery Extension was always loaded AFTER ACPI had failed to find the battery. Is there any way that I can force ThinkPad Battery Extension to always load before ACPI looks for the battery?

is $325 for a T450s with a 1080p touchscreen and 12 gb of RAM a good deal? I don't care about touch desu, but I want a good display

Attached: download (20).jpg (1024x1024, 633K)

I vaguely remember that it's possible to swap the motherboard and CPU on T420 to make it more "gaming-oriented", anyone got a guide for that?

T420 dgpu quadro is pretty much weaker than T430 intel igpu, don't bother it's not worth it.

>it's the based zoomer
>drink buckfast and get fucked fast

absolutely based

OEM unless you flash the EC.
But I would still recommend OEM batteries

github.com/hamishcoleman/thinkpad-ec