/sbcg/ Single Board Computer General

What board is your favorite? What interesting/malicious/inventive things has Jow Forums done with one of these pieces of shit, whether your flavor is raspberry, orange, or some other autism.

Attached: 20170226183853_97703.jpg (500x500, 53K)

Other urls found in this thread:

amazon.com/Kuman-320x480-Resolution-Protective-Raspberry/dp/B01FXC5ECS
hackerboards.com/compare/140,224/
amazon.com/Monitor-Esky-Adjustable-Rearview-Wirecutters/dp/B01461MDXA/ref=sr_1_3?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1551139082&sr=1-3&keywords=backup camera screen.
github.com/OLIMEX/OLINUXINO
github.com/lentinj/u-boot/blob/master/boards.cfg
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

I have OSMC connected to a desktop acting as a NAS to watch movies/tv

rpi is my favorite as all others have shit support/community. Any china company can make an SBC, but the value to you the user is the kernel and OS support. Android on an SBC? Puhlease no. I tried tinker board, which seemed to have decent support, but I was wrong. How is orangepi? Any other contenders to the rpi throne?

most if not all sbc with an ARM processor can run raspbian, and with that you have the support of that whole community, as well as the community of whatever other linux install you do. The only thing that really changes between boards are things like layouts of gpio, and only slightly. But yeah, unless you want to get chinked, raspberry or orange pi seem to be the way to go, haven't heard of any REALLY good alternatives yet.

I use a TinkerBoard for JMRI. Build in wireless is used as an AP for WiThrottle devices.

Not sure the Digitrax DCS240 was the best decision though...

HiFuve Unleashed is objectively the greatest sbc ever created

Attached: IMG_20181129_153935.jpg (4608x2304, 3.09M)

i would agree up until i saw the price. yikes.

Attached: hifiveunleashedprice.png (358x318, 28K)

once it IS created. this hasn't launched on the market yet, has it?

STM32 Nucleo boar
L0 series for lowest power input
L4 series for abomination of shitty power input and shitty performance and bad features
F* series for enough performance and features that some can run RTOS

Attached: s-l1000.jpg (1000x750, 148K)

That picture is of my board
They are only releasing them in waves though

The price of early adoption

working on a pirate box to carry around my campus as a little side project. Its a rpi3 with apache as well as an ftp server

Will rpi ever have USB 3.0/3.1?

Guessing that and wireless AC will happen with the eventual Rpi4, but who knows when they'll make that happen.
The arm chips exist to do it and do it cheap, but they're still making a killing on the Rpi3 line so not a whole lot of intensive for them to release new things yet.

>most if not all sbc with an ARM processor can run raspbian,
No. What they usually can run is an outdated and hacked together debian with an ancient kernel. Example: Tinkerboard with their """tinker OS""

Maybe in 2020/2021. RPi doesn't go all out on specs because they always try to target the $35 price point. They won't make significant improvements to the Pi if it makes the board more expensive.

wrong but for different reason than ARM is an umbrella for very wide range of processors, many of which are not fit for operating systems.
Some Cortex-A* (ARMv7 and ARMv8) models have a support for operating systems.
Cortex-M (ARMv6) models are usually single-core with not enough features to be reasonably supported, widely used in embedded for their low-power capabilities.

store.vamrs.com
Rockchip 960 model C, as of now.
Waiting/hoping for an announcement of a Cortex A76 model. My anus wants that desperately, especially if the metal case they have now would still fit.
It would easily be powerful enough for my shitposting needs, and they're fsf approved (aside from the GPU drivers, but whatever).

OP here, what is the coziest thing you use your sbc for? I personally have an SD card specifically for travel that has retropie with a collection of ROMs

>tiny ass 0.5 mm fan
I'm pretty sure passive cooling does just a good a job without the noise

i just want a RPI sized board with up to date cpu&gpu.
It doesnt have to be the best, just not ancient.

what do you mean up-to-date? the shit that's on there is up-to-date, just low-power

amazon.com/Kuman-320x480-Resolution-Protective-Raspberry/dp/B01FXC5ECS
does this look good for a case / touchscreen? planning to use it for a portable emulation machine with a controller connected by usb

which one is better?
hackerboards.com/compare/140,224/
I have no idea what I'll do with it, so I'm looking at cpu/gpu, max microSD storage, and OS.
I don't think the one plus has raspbian available, but I could try armbian.
Is A6 significantly better than A5, even at lower clock?
First time ever with one of these things. I kinda want to play around with it and see if I can get the hang of linux-based stuff, as I plan on switching to it when my current laptop dies and the new one will inevitably come with preinstalled win10.

dont get chinked. watch a few videos/ read a few tutorials on it and make sure your make/model of screen match the one in the listing. It looks better than the one i bought, which got fried when i plugged it into my pi. I ended up just going with a composite screen from a backup camera amazon.com/Monitor-Esky-Adjustable-Rearview-Wirecutters/dp/B01461MDXA/ref=sr_1_3?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1551139082&sr=1-3&keywords=backup camera screen. You'd need a way to boost the 5V from the pi, but otherwise you just solder it to the composite video output on the pi. Go with yours though if you want a non-solder solution

Orangpi pc 2. it's more bang for your buck. More GPIO and more peripherals/features for around the same price.

Maybe, but it's not like you have to rely on the RPi getting these? There are other SBC that have them now.

i mean it came out like 2 years ago so i dont think its up-to-date

what features you are looking for is the better question i guess. wireless charging? touch ID?

yeah but the other boards dont have such a big community and software support

just a more powerful CPU/GPU, USB 3.0 and gigabit ethernet port.

also a new bios which checks for a USB HDD/thumbdrive before micro sd

can't you boot the rpi3 from thumbdrive now?

Any of you faggots have a C2550D4I?
Thinking of getting one for a NAS

no, but the damn thing looks bonkers.

Attached: 1040154-n0.jpg (637x600, 180K)

Im using a PC2 with an external hdd attached as a seedbox/file server (~40MB/s with uasp), and its pretty fucking solid for the price.

Both are unusable (at least for now) for gpu-accelerated things though, like retro gaming, due to the missing mali drivers.

I like boards running Rockchips because Rockchip mainlines their work
I like Olimex stuff too, because their boards are open source
Like, the hardware is open source
github.com/OLIMEX/OLINUXINO
I want to learn how to design my own board, so this seems like a good starting point
Goal is to design my own board for my own laptop using Rockchips

They are better than Allwinner in that regards, but the main pain point for SBCs are still GPU support. I hate how there are no Snapdragon SBCs and Mali only recently got Panfrost which will be going into the kernel soon. The gulf between Raspberry Pi and x86 with upstream support and all the SBCs on the market is still too big but it might be closing soon. Hoping RISC-V will bring some interesting SBCs on the market.

I've been using a chromebook plus for over a year
Lack of GPU isn't really a big deal to me
p-comfy with xfce desu
if this machine had m.2 ssd and open source atheros wifi N instead of botnet AC, it would be perfect

Id like to make a Pi computer but dont know if my project could work. Could anyone with knowledge of Rasp Pi chime in?

Its easy enough to make an emulator-box but I was wondering if I could make one that was strong enough to play stepmania or open ITG so I can use it as a home arcade machine for DDR and In the Groove. For that I believe it needs to be windows based?

So if anyone knows should I even bother with something this small or build a mini-itx rig. Please and thanks.

You're probably better off building either a mini-ITX build or using an Intel NUC. From what I read the Pi is just too slow to run either of those games smoothly, even with native Linux ports.

GPUs are really only needed for one thing with casual usage of something like a Chromebook which is watching online videos or videos of any sort. I can imagine without GPU support, no hardware acceleration makes it only possible to play 480p at best. But if you don't need it for that, yeah no GPU support needed really.

Thank you kindly user.

You have any suggestions for slim 1080p builds before I go to /pcbg/?

Lattepanda Alpha

Stepmania isn't all that intensive, I'm pretty sure you could find a used laptop that could run it. That being said, you should probably head over there if you really want to build something for this project.

What's the cheapest board that could be used as a pocket firewall and a router?

Thoughts on Intel Galileo first gen?

Based HWbro

BASIC ENGINE ESP - A $5 COMPUTER

Attached: BASIC_ENGINE_ESP32.jpg (1024x881, 355K)

Software generated video?

Now THIS is a microcomputer!

>Basic
>Real composite video generator
THIS IS HEAVEN

If it had a on-board C compiler, unf.

Attached: Screen Shot 2019-02-26 at 10.49.56 pm.png (573x145, 28K)

Anyone here got experience with Buildroot? What's the correct board name config for raspberry pi 3?

I mean for U-boot config.
github.com/lentinj/u-boot/blob/master/boards.cfg
I don't see bcm or broadcom in here.

raspbian is very, very, very SoC specific. It will not work well on other devices and things will not work.

they very recently made a version to run on desktops, and most copycat boards like the orangepi support it or have their own version.