Never used linux before, what should I expect?

Never used linux before, what should I expect?

Attached: proxy.duckduckgo.com(2).jpg (474x474, 19K)

Other urls found in this thread:

cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/unofficial/non-free/cd-including-firmware/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

One damn fine kernel.

Would you say it's fairly newbie friendly?

Install kubtunu.
Yes its noob friendly. Once you get the hang of it, then switch to debian.

But use gnu/linux for 1 solid year. Learn quickly

Oh no, it's the kernel autist.
Say the line!!

>kernal
>user-friendly
>???

You should expect to meet the women of your dreams within three cronjobs.

expect fast load times, more customisation (assuming you are coming from windows), and most importantly out of the spynet

try Manjaro Cinnamon edition

Don't use debian use slackware

Expect speed. Expect to be taken aback by package managment but pleased when you realize how simple and useful it is. Expect shit to just work (so long as you stick with Stable).

Also expect for your wireless card to not work. Expect to type vague shell commands and download whatever packages Google searches yield.

I love Debian. I recommend it to anyone that just wants to use their PC to browse the Web, make documents, and even do some programming. If wireless card driver support wasn't such a minefield, I'd recommend it to literally anyone with a laptop.

debian it's fine, most distros will have you fixing things, while the most 'complicated' think you have to do with debian is to install your firmware/drivers, it's in their repository, just run sudo apt install firmware-linux-nonfree if not available, just add 'nonfree' at the end of your apt repo list, type sudo apt edit-sources to visit that list. Most emulators and shit like that are there.

or just get the installer with non-free firmware pre-loaded

also, in their backports repo they have newer firmware and/or kernel IF needed, otherwise stick to the stable repo packages.

cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/unofficial/non-free/cd-including-firmware/

>ust add 'nonfree' at the end of your apt repo list, type sudo apt edit-sources
Also can do:
sudo apt-add-repository contrib
sudo apt-add-repository non-free
rather than editing the sources file

using the equivalent of a command prompt every time you need to install something

Attached: 58687_Talbotlynx_rainbowspockvomit.gif (100x62, 77K)

Those still didn't work with my Dell Inspiron.

Broadcom breh - shit sux

Thanks, bro.

Attached: CopyQ.SbRkbn.png (276x182, 76K)

>I install something every day

I don't understand

please install firmware and don't blindly paste shell commands

> he doesn't use Synaptic

>equivalent of the command prompt
Don't you ever compare Bash to fucking DOS ever again, or so help me...

I got it to work on my old 1545 Inspiron. You probably get that message upon boot that tells you to go to a site and download some Deb packages. Just go there and download them. They work.

>inb4 "muh wifi drivers"

Should have picked Ubuntu or Mint

Just some beginner issues but nothing special at the beginning.

>2 command lines to get debian working with your laptop forever

>or install buggy ubuntu's just because they install the firmware before the first boot

Will I have issues with WiFi drivers on a Tosiba satellite laptop?

>what should I expect?
A comfy experience

Attached: Screenshot_20190225_164559.png (1366x768, 639K)

Outdated packages

>what is Debian Testing?

Debian vs Linux Mint? The switch to linux youtube cuck recommends Mint for your first install

Mint's OotB setup is closest to Windows of any distro, which is presumably why whatever random youtuber recommends it to beginners.

you mean stable

>Expect shit to just work (so long as you stick with Stable).
Except your new RTX card

A steep learning curve
Using a terminal a lot
Being in total control over your OS

>implying this is a bad thing

Attached: 1505923071681.jpg (1077x861, 189K)

just use windows

you mean stale

Don't listen to Jow Forums they are all fucking retarded. Find someone who has used Linux and have them mentor you. Linux seems "hard" but any new OS or complex software will. It's like going from an automatic car with manufacturer maintenance to a 20 gear semi.

Remember that most people who use Linux are one of three: 1) sysadmins/devop type people 2) software developers, or 3) hobbyists

Most people don't use Linux for professional work that's not explicitly tech related (so like working with media, simply using web and email, etc) If some autistic tries to tell you "but this works on Linux you just have to jump thru 20 hoops" disregard their autistic pandering and use the OS that works. They are like people that say you can hammer a nail with a screw driver, yeah, you can, but it's fucking stupid.

I actually don't think it's a steep learning curve. You can begin without knowing much of anything and slowly add things over time. I learned how to use slackware when I was 8 and had no problem, and that was back when automounting and wireless drivers didn't exist.

you don't get the concept, it's not supposed to have the latest software, get over it, and stick to your rolling distros

still 3 years out of date

To cum in yur pants from the optimization

here is a quick tip
press ctrl + alt + t
and paste that
sudo rm -r home

I use NixOS on their "unstable" branch. Never had anything break, but I have had a package disappear because another update broke it. But rolling back was literally one fast command. Thats the power of an OS inspired by reproducibility and functional programming. Downsides are still that it requires learning the nix expressions language, and the available package set is tiny.