What is even the point of this thing when Bash 5.x has 99% of its features and 1000x its install base?

What is even the point of this thing when Bash 5.x has 99% of its features and 1000x its install base?

Attached: zsh.png (600x600, 20K)

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/Bash-it/bash-it
youtube.com/watch?v=YGSj2zY2OEM
doc.cat-v.org/plan_9/4th_edition/papers/rc
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kazushige_Goto
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>what's the point of a shell if another shell has more installs
what's the point of you if there are way more chinese?

What is even the point of this thread when any other one has actually relevant discussion and 1000x its people caring?

>Bash 5.x has 99% of its features
zsh has comfy plugins for git and vi-like behaviour.

>git
github.com/Bash-it/bash-it
and dozens more extensions in that vein

>vi-like behaviour
set -o vi

>github.com/Bash-it/bash-it
That literally says "a shameless ripoff of oh-my-zsh" you enormous faggot. Also

>Bash 5
>Bash 3.2
Pick one (1)

>shameless ripoff
Yes, and? My point was that there is literally no reason to waste your life learning this meme shell when Bash already replicates its functionality.

Bash-it has 250 contributors. Oh my zsh has over 1300 contributors. You're using a hobbyist clone that aims to replicate built-in and extended behaviour for a bash version that was released 13 years ago... What kind of turbo autism is this?

Attached: autism1.jpg (653x395, 34K)

Why waste your precious time arguing AGAINST a shell you don't have to use? I don't get it

Pic related

Attached: autism-test.jpg (525x816, 185K)

the marble is in the box, so she'll look for it there

Anne is such a thieving cunt

I don't understand this, but I'm scared to answer in case it turns out I have autism.

Just kill Anne like the thieving bitch she is

There is nothing to learn m8
bash and zsh are both just ksh knockoffs

Bait

it tests for theory of mind. supposedly some people with developmental disorders can't imagine what goes through other peoples minds, so in this case they'd answer "the box", because -they- know it's in the box, even though it should be clear that sally does not know that it is in the box

It's a theory of mind thing. The correct answer is in Anne's asshole. Sally is a TSA agent.

pfhhhaaahahahahahaha
Fuckin' clueless!

doesnt matter since the observer knows what anne did beforehand

It's a trick question. She reaches into her pocket for the marble, where she knew it to be safe and secure. Leaving it in the basket was just a ruse, for us, the viewer, and to confirm her suspicions as she suspected (((Anne,))) was not to be trusted, and was obviously right to do so.

Theory of mind

off yourself fucking plebbitor

bro you actually have autism??

Great argument, you sure convinced me

in both containers since it won't be where she expected it to be at first, or just the basket because maybe she doesn't want to open the box

youtube.com/watch?v=YGSj2zY2OEM

ho my zsh is the epitome of computerized faggotry

>go to ausitmland
>ask if someone there is autistic

Attached: butthurt1.gif (600x487, 120K)

cry more, shelllet

>implying that isn't the real autism test

Attached: autistic-knife.jpg (625x469, 44K)

But the correct answer - the basket - in turn presumes that Sally has no theory of mind and can only acts upon what she knows.
In truth Sally has every reason to believe that Annie, having been left along with the marble for several hours, could have moved it.

no one cares, go cry more on plebbit

Attached: laugh-zimzam.gif (311x223, 1.52M)

This one never fails

Attached: autism-test2.jpg (1140x1128, 1.1M)

is this possible without going through from the houses?

Attached: solved1.png (698x687, 719K)

you'd be good friend with the pleb.... they love faggy colors all over the terminal :v)

there is no point
zsh is absolute fucking garbage. only bash & fish are usable.

Where my money at?

Attached: 1551136734238.jpg (1140x1127, 1.08M)

I don't think so

not without looping around the paper

no, K33 is not planar

Zsh is shit. I fucking hate how they keep rolling through tab completions as well. Fuck off with that shit, it's so fucking annoying.
And when you turn off all the stupid ricer shit you're basically left with bash anyway, so what's the point?

Who gives a fuck aboit the install base? Is bash 5 an online game? You need more players for faster shell matchmaking?

>who gives a fuck about the install base
Literally anyone responsible for deploying software on machines they don't own, you jobless cretin. You can't arbitrarily add a fuck-huge dependency like zsh just because its RPROMPT looks prettier when Bash is already guaranteed to be available.

>Who gives a fuck aboit the install base?
People who use scripts.

Attached: Fixed.jpg (1140x1128, 1.17M)

Yeah some bash script wasn't working until I realized I was using zsh.

Also for some reason zsh under WSL was causing a constant cpu spike that caused my cpu to overheat and BSOD. But that was _probably_ not zsh's fault.

Zsh overall is marginally better scripting language which also completely breaks from a lot of the stupid behavior originating in other shells, but it also has some annoying try hard one liner grammars that really need to die, but almost all completions need to function.

these color choices are disturbing

Attached: file.png (1140x1128, 2.11M)

Box, easy

i use fish : - )

>unironically suggesting bash as an alternative
Bash is considered harmful. Use rc instead
doc.cat-v.org/plan_9/4th_edition/papers/rc

Attached: harmful.png (925x842, 114K)

>list of harmful things
>goto not mentioned

All the shell hipsters have moved on to fish by now, right?

Kazushige Goto has made many contributions to computer science. He beat compilers by optimizing, by hand, linear algebra in FORTRAN in what is known as the BLAS library.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kazushige_Goto
In no way is this man a harmful thing.

Using a relooper just to kill all uses of goto is a bit extreme desu.

Attached: oh-no-she-didn't.jpg (880x452, 59K)

>mfw i thought the box for a moment

Attached: adf.jpg (502x417, 15K)

>Fire
>blue line
>Electricity
>Red line
>Water
>Yellow line

well looks like you definitely failed the chromosome test

>But the correct answer - the basket - in turn presumes that Sally has no theory of mind
This always bugs me too. What if test goes deeper and actually asks the observer what would they do in place of Sally?
But anyway, there was no precedents that would give Sally any doubts, so the basket is the correct, non-autistic answer.

Zsh Auto completion out of the box is much better and that counts for a lot. Oh-my-zsh has good seo and comes up easily. It's harder to do these things with bash and since you can just have both installed it doesn't really matter.

Additionally since the languages are so similar switching is very easy, I for example, would like to switch to rc but the shell syntax is so different its just easier to stick with bash langs. Especially since I'm not gaining anything by switching.

Sally looks sad in the last picture because she already looked in the basket and found nothing. She will look in the box just after, so the correct answer is the box

where's my volume 4 Donald

>Oh my zsh
Hopefully you're not using this bloated mess

underated

>point of this thing when Bash 5.x has 99% of its features
Oh yeah man that statistic alone makes my ring feel like it's being licked by a 100 naked elves. That's why I use ZSH. I am the 1%

In the basket, is obious.

She will look for it in the basket and the box
then she will put Anne over her knee and give her a good hard spanking

Ok ALSA is harmfull, so what's pulseaudio?

>set -o vi
Doesn't have surround operators AFAICT. Am I wrong? (genuinely interested as I'd love to go back to bash)

Well you can't really rely on bash 5 being available either.

t. person who has to work with a 6-years old bash at work.

Attached: image_2019-02-26_08-22_1.jpg (1080x1057, 410K)

> Bash 5.x has 99% of its features
not really, maybe 30%

zsh users are brainlets
I use bash with fzf, and some utility scripts to jump around with vi keybindings

Pulseaudio is just a wrapper, it can wrap ALSA (in which case it is harmful) or it can wrap OSS4 (in which case it is not harmful)

Correct, it's vi not vim. You can't use diw but you still have b dw though for instance

i use csh
csh with CDE
i use oracle

That's not enough for me then. I've been thinking about building a drop-in readline replacement that would connect to a neovim instance to get true vim bindings. I wonder how hard it would be to make something actually usable.

Easier to configure. Zsh autocompletions are way easier to write than bash ones.

I couldn't get history substitutions/expansions to work in zsh. Does it really lack this, or was I just doing it wrong. zsh autocompletion is a fucking joke btw. In bash it's a convenience, it zsh, it's a fucking pain in the ass, always interrupting your workflow.

Much better autocomplete, not limited by the shitty readline and a proper menu to select from a list, not just tab-and-guess like on bash.

The plugins are much more powerful, too.

It' s a Shiny New Thing, especially with Oh My ZSH or whatever, and people who are mentally the same as monkeys are attracted to Shiny New Things and don't do cost-benefit analysis of costs of learning and availability versus benefits.

and you did?

>not using mksh
t. Currently using ash for my login shell and mksh for everything else.
I don't even have bash or bourne shell installed now and just have sym links to mksh and ash

>superior autocomplete
In a pig's ass.
With bash you might need to type an extra letter for the other command. If you need to do something more abstract, you can do a histroy substitution, because it actually works in bash.
Fucking zsh blocks you every fucking time look at this list select from this list.
Fuck that shit.
I wasted a week I'll never get back on that trash.

No idea what you are on about, history substitution works just fine on zsh.

>With bash you might need to type an extra letter for the other command
That's all I need to know. I prefer typing less.

a lot of stuff you can do with autocomplete in zsh you have to pull out sed/awk/grep in bash

Christopher, you may have the autism

>Zsh
>Bash

Eshell inside emacs is the only correct answer

Didn't this guy kill himself?

A lot of the stuff you can do with history substituions in bash you can't do at all in zsh.
Into the fucking trash it goes.

>Anne remains completely still for two panels
this should be enough for Sally to raise some suspicions and go for the box

It's a shit test, because it's unclear what the question is actually asking. It would be reasonable to assume that Sally initially looks for her marble where she left it herself and thus expected to find it (ie, in the basket), but I think most people would interpret the question as "where would Sally look for her marble AFTER she checked the obvious spot" given the circumstances, with the answer having to be a binary choice between the basket and the box (of which only the box would make sense).

But the obviousness of the answer and the fact that we were shown explicitly where the marble is makes it sound like a trick question, and we know fuck all about Sally, Anne or the box, so any number of circumstances could be at play here. Maybe from Sally's perspective, the box was filled with books to the brim and sealed shut the last time she interacted with it, so if both the marble and Anne are missing, the answer to "where does she start looking" might be "she assumes that Anne took the marble and walked to the kitchen with it" instead of "she put it in the box and sealed it back up just to fuck with you".

[spoiler]Wait am I autistic?[/spoiler]

oh my zsh is fucking terrible why would you want to copy that. use prezto
t. someone who has had pull requests merged into oh my zsh

The complete bipartite graph K3,3 is not planar REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Attached: 1517281577117.png (656x654, 294K)