What the FUCK is the difference between a software developer and a software engineer?

What the FUCK is the difference between a software developer and a software engineer?

Attached: 4chan crimese.jpg (285x248, 36K)

Other urls found in this thread:

apple.com/diversity/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Nothing. Everyone just wants to add "engineer" to their title

One’s a developer and the other inhales 5-10 cocks per second.

Probably nothing. If there is a difference, it's small enough that the skillsets are interchangable anyway.

can i be a 4channel engineer

Attached: 1546261122144.png (1440x1080, 758K)

As long as you don't live in Canada.

A developer programs, an engineer designs

To explain, software engineering refers to the application of engineering principles to create software. Software engineers participate in the software development life cycle through connecting the client’s needs with applicable technology solutions. Thus, they systematically develop processes to provide specific functions. In the end, software engineering means using engineering concepts to develop software.

On the other hand, software developers are the driving creative force behind programs. Software developers are responsible for the entire development process. They are the ones who collaborate with the client to create a theoretical design. They then have computer programmers create the code needed to run the software properly. Computer programmers will test and fix problems together with software developers. Software developers provide project leadership and technical guidance along every stage of the software development life cycle.

This is a load of bullshit. They are exactly the same thing. Whatever your title is depends solely on the company you are working for. You aren't going to see a company that has both "Software Engineers" and "Software Developers".

we have programmers and software engineers as separate things

>an engineer designs
>developers are the creative force

Attached: 1483349826640.jpg (1211x790, 91K)

where i work has developers and engineers as seperate things.
developers are basically the programmers and engineers dont do much programming, they focus more on the overall project and getting it from start to finish

one is a pretentious asshat and the other does legitimate work

Nobody cares about your irrelevant company. You probably have people called code artisan ninja jedi baristas.

>developers are basically the programmers and engineers dont do much programming

Then what the fuck am supposed to call myself when my job has me do BOTH!?

Attached: tomoko.jpg (600x338, 20K)

its a fortune 100 company

a friend a mine got hired as a "Software Engineer" out of college, and all he did was glue jQuery plugins together.

everyone has their own definition. its not worth worrying about.

Attached: ee5831c82e9ed0ef.jpg (1707x960, 371K)

Oh yeah and which one is which wise guy?

You call yourself what your employer calls you. End of story.

>Then what the fuck am supposed to call myself when my job has me do BOTH!?
whatever your official job title is
otherwise, whichever title you like better

im not calling myself 'faggot' during job interviews

I wouldn't be making this thread if it were that easy.

Attached: Anime meme.jpg (918x592, 96K)

What's the difference between a carpenter and an architect?

Why would you go to a job interview for being a faggot?

Working for Apple

Show me a job posting from Apple where they are looking to hire "faggots", as in that is the official job description.

apple.com/diversity/

I don't see "faggot" anywhere on that page.

not as cool as other user, but it's a fortune 1000 company :^)

>software developers are the driving creative force behind programs. Software developers are responsible for the entire development process.

It’s the exact opposite at my company.

Developer gets told by the Engineer what to do.

Are you fucking high? Each developer is assigned a team of engineers and they report to him during the daily scrum.

Attached: chansey.gif (320x240, 892K)

>Overused Buzzwords: the post
You're trying to say "engineers make plans, developers make it happen".

To answer OP, nothing is different between them. They're all idiots who wish they could have half the skill of a shitty computer scientist from 1975, because those shitty guys were way better than the current above average "developer".

You mean each lead developer gets assigned a team of code monkeys fresh out of college who bash their head against the keyboard and play Kingdom Rush instead of working, while the lead developer does all the work, who then gets yelled at by the scum master.

In 99% of cases, nothing. However, some high end positions may make differentiations between engineering software by design, and then developers by actual code monkeys.

not him, but you're a little bitch for taking a funny joke seriously. Fuck you. Why are you like this? Do you come to 4channel to be a buzzkill? OR, is it that you're secretly a faggot?. Perhaps it's the latter. Reddit may be more your style, sincerely.

t. NEET

This! Dear god so much this!

Attached: Bully Comics.jpg (900x630, 174K)

All software engineers are software developers.

But, not all software developers use the techniques of software engineering to develop software.

>HAHA LE APPLE GAY XD XD ITODDLERS BTFO
>I was only pretending to be retarded!
As if this same shit doesn't get spammed enough already.

>graduated from hacker school boot camps
>"software engineer"
If this is you, your boss is just patting you on the head condescendingly
You're a dog, you're such a gud boy
Who's my engineer? Yes, (You) are! Aren't you?

You're not an engineer if you don't have a engineering degree from a university

That's factually incorrect. Software engineering is not a "mature profession" that has specific requirements for accreditation. For example, it's illegal to practice medicine if you do not have an M.D. but there are no such restrictions for any computer science related field.

You don't even need an "engineering" degree from a university to practice any other form of engineering. You only need it to be an "accredited engineer" which is only a requirement if you are contracting out engineering services or the lead of a public infrastructure project.

Maybe mainly depends on what part and what type of the software you are working on.
Engineer is not narrower than being a dev, because their main focus have to do the innovation and invention.
An Engineer is a full time job recognizable by papers, usually in form of certificate.
Dev is more wide, they do all short of things, there is no main focus. It could be full time or part time but mostly part time.

Its like being a physician, at first you learn the general(dev) then focus on your strong point/hobby (engineer) and finally got a degree.

Example: Dr.Eng is actually a title

It's crazy to think about given Therac 25 and, you know, the bridges that we drive over that are built by civil engineers...

>Engineer is not narrower than being a dev, because their main focus have to do the innovation and invention.
You're thinking of computer science. Software engineering is about following proven and tested techniques in order to guarantee efficient and correct results.

>my company calls architects and project managers software engineers
Ok, that's retarded

>being this buttblasted that normal people don't find your repetitive jokes funny

I'm an engineer, I also consider people like Guido van Rossum, Linus Benedict Torvalds,Igor Sysoev, Terry Davis etc as engineers. We are original thinkers.

Developers on the other hand are people like you bottom feeders. Your kind is typified by scant knowledge of theoretical computer science. You thrive on frameworks, frothy anal paste and crusts.

I'm ofttimes amused when I hear some of you two bit spaghetti code Javascript technicians refer to yourselves as engineers.

Heck! Back in the day we just referred to ourselves as programmers.

Dumbfucks!

>someone says call yourself what your boss calls you
>someone else responds with "I'm not going to call myself a faggot"
This is funny because the first line was supposed to be sincere advice, but the second takes that advice and applies it in a different situation. It's unexpected, dark, and a good joke.

Some buzzkill then comes and asks for his employer... Missing the entire joke. We can safely assume this person is autistic. Very well, the man who made the joke keeps the ball rolling, and says he works for apple. This is funny because it plays on a common stereotype of a silicon valley tech worker. Autist comes again and asks for verification, he is either genuinely handicapped or is someone who does not allow fun. Joker keeps coming with the rapid fire jokes, and points to the diversity page. Hilarious.

Retard says he can't find the word faggot in the page... This was a quality string of jokes and this cum rag comes in and ruins it. Every single one. Like a child, thinking he's adding anything meaningful. Thinking he's funny for questioning. Pathetic. I bet it's you. I bet you got offended because you're openly gay.

>can't even post correctly the first time
What a waste of quads.

An engineer has a degree.

Now this is bait kino.

one does a better job and the other one gets paid more

Does it matter what kind of degree?

t. Communications Degree currently an EE at Qualcomm.

Attached: 420 BLAZE IT.jpg (1028x772, 268K)

You're absolutely pathetic, you know that right? Refreshing a fourchan page defending your lack of humor. You're the same kid who reminds the teacher to collect homework, right?

>HAHA APPLE IS GAY XD ITODDLERS BTFO
I bet you're one of those people that starts Apple bait threads just to post the same tired trash content over and over again.

Who else here just decided to one day change their name from Dev to Engineer and nobody has noticed since?

Attached: [internal screaming.gif (480x270, 1.02M)

You're exceptionally dumb. How did your parents manage to stuff so much stupidity into you?

>itoddlers bfo is bad
Itoddlers btfo is culture and if you can't understand that then I guess I was right. I'm sorry. What I did was like yelling at a dog for barking, or yelling at a blind man for not being able to see. It's true, you're retarded and autistic. My apologies.

Don't you have another false flag thread to start?

*ding ding*
Ahem! May I have your attention please! I am Jow Forums's most senior Shitpost Engineer, with a Level 5 Grand Master's degree in Bullshit and Dumbfuckery. It's my job to say stupid things and hope I sound smart, and I approve these shitposts. Well done, Anons. You're both getting bonuses of one (You) each!

Attached: 1541256230309.png (1000x1000, 141K)

software engineers don't exist
the only engineers on this field are the IT engineers, and they know basically everything from putting ones and zeroes together to highly specialized mainframe architectures. Also they're versed at networking.
They're the ones designing motherboards, enterprise networks, leading software development departments, and so on. Also they glow in the dark.
>t. IT engineer that went insane bc of the stress and now literally drives passenger trains bc it looked easier and less stressful
now checkem

Attached: 1497458309402.jpg (750x750, 74K)

what the fuck?

wow you sound very chadly in my head user

The only people who care about being called """engineers""" are pajeets trying to inflate their salary without doing any actual work.

Attached: miyazaki.jpg (474x534, 45K)

You can be a 4channel sanitation engineer. You'll have to do it for free, though

I just say I'm a software developer, I'd never call myself an engineer since I didn't get an engineering degree in college.

This. Software "Engineer" means literally nothing. A code monkey that wants to feel extra special and get a bit more pay.

Developer writes code. Software engineering is just a weird naming, it doesn't refer to engineering a piece of software, it refers to engineering the process of software development and somehow people who made this shit up think it makes sense. Basically software engineering is IT management but the program also includes programming so if you take the course you can also become a developer (it's not like there are software development courses, there are different courses that involve software development, like computer engineering or computer science, and software engineering is also one of them but probably the most distant from actual tech).

About 20k USD an year.

Really, they're both the fucking same job. The difference is that calling yourself a software engineer is more marketable, that's it.

Developer sounds more white collar, engineer sounds like your smert

both do the exact same shit don't be fooled by wannabe engineers

doesn't make a difference unless you live in a country where the term 'engineer' is protected, like it is in canada

GOD I FUCKING WISH ENGINEER WAS A PROTECTED TITLE

It's completely devalued legitimate engineering degrees.

It's simple.

A software engineer tells a hardware engineer what he needs to run his software.

The hardware engineer then tells the electrical engineer to build the components necessary for the hardware he has deemed would be capable of this.

The electrical engineer builds the components, tests them, and send them to the hardware engineer.

The hardware engineer then tells the software engineer how to interface with the hardware, providing him with firmware.

Then the software engineer programs his software to interface with the firmware, and hands it to the software developer.

The software developer then posts on twitter about how there are too few females in the programming businesss.

Finally, the internet journalist tells everybody they need to learn to code and then zir is laid off.

Software developer is a job, engineer is a degree.

>Be me
>CompSci degree
>Get a new job
>Job title is System Developer
>Still don't know what this title includes
Pay is good, so i can't complain

Attached: smokingWojack.jpg (474x632, 30K)

The Software engineer titles are a result of engineers not being able to find jobs with their useless degrees and having to learn programming and work under CS students who have strong fundamentals

Attached: 1530708105588.png (593x540, 306K)

One will continue to find work when the tech bubble pops.

in the netherlands it is, you can get the title engineer when you have completed a universitary degree in an engineering field

Yeah, the ones that aren't dead weights on my team aka usually the CS grads

none. both of these terms are retarded
the correct term is "hacker"

fpbp

>Software developer
Develops software.
>Software engineer
Engineers software

Get it yet, retard?

Attached: 0WpiyPulyJft9vYVqrzTcs5MOIRGts9_mEg9vERjDUE.jpg (814x907, 131K)

Haha you must be a student or a neet or something, and a really stupid one too

retards

>Itoddlers btfo is culture
fucking zoomers

One is white, one is a shit-skin.

which one is which? I'm ready to be triggered

software developer: writes code in c++/whatever
software engineer: also draws UML