Redpill me on lapping and delidding

redpill me on lapping and delidding

Attached: 7AE08900-6E79-4074-91C1-A02BC1FA73F3.jpg (1024x768, 55K)

Other urls found in this thread:

overclock.net/forum/61-water-cooling/1721404-der8bauer-direct-die-cooling.html
click.intel.com/tuningplan/faq
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

might as well flip a coin.
heads throw it in the trash.
tails you lost any warranty you might've had with no discernible difference.
maybe if you're oc fag it's worth it.

You too stupid to understand better surface contact will dissipate heat better?

Don't bother with this unless you're doing some extreme OC'ing.

Attached: idiot.jpg (600x600, 57K)

>using int*l in 2019
lol?

Attached: 1549049050527.png (954x1098, 1.31M)

do it if you have nothing better to do anyway

Delidding is too risky for the gains.
Lapping the IHS is for the most part fine.
Delidding and lapping the die is autism incarnate.
If you want slightly (most cases unironically negligible) better thermals, and subsequently performance, but also know that you're losing warranty and are at risk of borking it, sure, go for it.

>gains

overclock.net/forum/61-water-cooling/1721404-der8bauer-direct-die-cooling.html

You essentially have to lap the die down with the 9000 series to see any benefit from delidding or direct die or even custom water loops if one plans to push a decent overclock.

The only reason to do stuff like this is if the temperatures are so high they're unbearable. With most components even. People are afraid of heat but they're using components that are supposed to heat the fuck up under stress. Thermal throttling is an issue, but if that's not there then it's fine.

Be sure to go all the Way up to 40000grid, polish that edge

>no, no, don't tweak it, you MIGHT ACCIDENTALY LEARN SOMETHING
>plz no run out of spec, not worth it
>oy vey, do not tinker with your parts, think of the warranty!
This is the current state of Jow Forums. You people disgust me.

As I understand it, lapping is only useful when the IHS is uneven.

Delidding seems to only be appropriate when you are having issues from the manufacturer. Like thermals being 20C higher than they should be, in most cases you can just RMA the processor and play the silicon lottery again.

While I don't really believe a warranty to be super useful, I don't think you should void it to fix a manufacturer defect.

Better options are buying a better fan, heat sink, or processor in general. Unless you're overclocking an I9 or ThreadRipper your better alternative is to sell your processor and buy a new one with the money.

If you are OCing an I9, have fun shitting on your warranty completely. The best option is almost always a better fan/heat sink. That or switching from air to freon or liquid cooling.

>Let's ruin hundreds of dollars in equipment with an experiment, in which we have no idea what the fuck we are doing and just watched a Youtube video on the subject.

OCing is fine, but there are infinitely better (and in the long run, cheaper) ways to do so.

>using raw int pointers in 2019
I agree, it's gross

I don't quite get how lapping is supposed to work in this application. Is the idea that you'd lap both the IHS/die and the cooler and put them in direct contact without thermal compound? With compound it seems completely pointless to me.

Flatter is always better. There's no available TIM that's even close to thermal conductivity of copper, so when you slather the paste on you're putting insulation, relatively speaking, on copper parts, and you want insulation to be as this as possible. At the same time almost anything is better than air.

It is only good for suicide runs or inching out your overclock no matter the cost and risk.
There's a reason why IHS came into place.
>Most of Jow Forumstards are too young to deal with naked Socket A/Socket 370 chips that often died from the torque from an aftermarket HSF even with a proper installation)

I remember this.
The mounting mechanism was alkso beyond retarded
>and now take a screwdriver and push with all your might in the direction of your motherboard.

I killed a Thunderbird like that, putting on that Titan Vanessa heatsink, I think, but current day chips seem to be a bit more resilient. They're covered in resin, instead of being bare, for one. I also was like 12 years old.
I've been running a bare (no IHS) 3770k under an NH-D14, and I a 4790k under LGM at first, under Supremacy Evo waterblock later for years, over multiple remounts they they have booth been fine.
tl dr; don't be 12 years old and don't use retard strenght, and she'll be right.

stabbed my mobo with a flathead when I bought my first aftermarket cooler for my Athlon XP
>that initial shock when you realize what you just did
>that creeping dread in the time before attempted mobomurder and being able to attempt to start
>that relief when everything booted just fine
Even managed to overclock it quite a bit. But the claw grip socket mount on Socket A and similar was absolutely dreadful

Meanwhile I've never had to bother with this shit on older Intel CPUs or current amd ones.
Cucklake incels btfo

It's something you shouldn't need to do on your components unless you're doing hardcore overclocking. It's absurd how poorly Intel has been performing thermally. The difference in performance from metal solder is miniscule and it's ridiculous something as simple as a level ihs isn't common. IHS lapping is pretty straightforward though so I might give it a try.

Basically BOTH REQUIRED for unlocked intel processor. Else just use your standard tripple fan AIO on unlocked ones.

For AMD you don't need to do any of this, just use a good TIM like ic diamond on the free stock heatsink.

I did the exact same thing back in the day and my board worked fine too. The trick was to buy a heatsink that had a three pronged clip that prevented slippage of the screwdriver.

>maybe if you're oc fag
>not clocking your CPU to what it is capable of
You must have had about 6 strokes.

Just because something is polished doesn't mean it's flat. Cars are often polished, but would you say they're flat?
If you can ensure you have a relatively flat end result, it does give mild benefits in cooling.

Attached: 1547147153837.png (303x453, 123K)

>Paying a ton extra for a motherboard capable of overclocking without frying
>For a few FPS more
Overclocking is a meme and hobby.

>There's no available TIM that's even close to thermal conductivity of copper
There's going to be micropockets of air between the IHS and heatsink unless you have access to some kind of high precision grinding machine. Even then you'd likely still want to use some kind of TIM.

Oh of course, my point is that you want that boundary to be as thin as possible.

The overhead has been getting poorer and poorer. The early Core2 ran 50% over spec without breaking a sweat.

just undervolt retard, you don't need to delid your intlel to get manageable temperatures. And you shouldn't be deliding it anyway if the CPU isn't a silicon lottery winner.

Thanks, that's another one to go on the list
>JusT unDErvoLT reTARd

>Ackshually thinking inTel-Aviv covers overclocking in it's warranties
click.intel.com/tuningplan/faq

It's stupid shit only Intel users do.

I was aware that Intel don't cover overclocking. Just giving opinion on delidding & lapping.
I've only ever used one Intlel CPU. An autistic overclocked E2140 that's got a lapped die, liquid metal, and lapped IHS with a Mugen 5 cooler, running at 3.6GHz mostly stable.
Day-to-day use, no problems. Benchmarks, no problems. Shit like Furmark, and it'll crash after about 5-10 minutes. I'm sure I could get it stable with 3.5, but fuck it I don't care when this chip dies desu.

This. There are people out there who willingly PAY to get scammed.

>FPS
Wrong board, whore. This is where we talk about technology, not the vidya gaymes.

This is the consumer electronics board, where people pretend to do REAL WERK™ on 10 year old laptops running unstable rolling release Linux distros.
You're kidding yourself if you think Jow Forums isn't just /v/-lite. The most resource intensive thing most people on this board will ever do is upscale anime.

Attached: satania_excited_to_be_evil.jpg (1280x720, 251K)

What do you use instead?

Joke's on you, we compile kernels faggot.

If you're compiling a kernel it shouldn't take very long because you built the modules into the kernel itself. There's no excuse to have giant bloated kernels that take hours to compile.
Even my shitty T420 could compile my kernel in a few minutes.

Attached: miles.png (1366x768, 108K)

its only needed on shittty intel cpus because of jewish costs savings

Stick to fapping at squid girls you pedo.

There's no reason to do this. If you want to OC to an extreme just go straight to LN2 cooling

You say that like it's a bad thing.

Attached: lolibooru 61813 bent_over convenient_censoring convenient_leg from_behind ikamusume in_container lon (1192x1080, 297K)

its something for autists just like ricing linux distros

Proper lapping makes a flatter and more uniform surface than any grinding machine can hope to achieve. Still seems pretty pointless for a CPU though.

CNC surface grinders will be orders of magnitude more precise than anything you do by hand. Don't kid yourself. These machines take multiple passes just to remove a sharpie marking on an apparently flat metal surface.

Attached: FSG-H818CNC.jpg (960x960, 167K)

when i was watching videos to learn about delidding and lapping i found a guy who did it, and was successful in both procedures, but noticed when he went to reassemble the build there was a large gap between where the heatsink fully rests and the actual die, so he decides to put the IHS back on, lapping also increased the gap between the die and IHS slightly so the thermal paste was not as effective as it could have been. regardless of lapping, there ended up being no point of what he did the entire video, and the gains were so minimal i wouldn't even personally take the risk. this is only one example, but i just thought it was amusing he gave up at the very last step of finding a different heatsink or modifying the mount in such a way to make it work without the IHS.

Nobody covers overclock under any circumstances, not even AMD

Yes...and you REPLACE the remaining air with thermal compounds. Because thermal compounds have a higher coefficient of heat transfer than air does.

We've already determined that this empty space isn't filled with copper.