/tpg/ - ThinkPad General

Previous thread: Don't buy anything OTHER THAN IBM/Lenovo ThinkPad T, X, and W/P Series if you want the Real Business Experience™!
>Other business laptops are welcome in /tpg/ (Dell Latitude/Precision, HP EliteBook/ZBook).

Libreboot-compatible models:
>T60 (check lcd), X60(s/t.), X200(s/t. -s requires soldering), T400(s), T500, W500.

Modern models:
>X220/X230 - 12", 768p, cheap and light
>T420/T430 - 14", 900p, socketed CPU, quadcore-compatible
>T520/T530, W520/W530 - 15", 1080p, desktop replacement
>T440s/T450s - best price/performance ultraportable
>T440p, T540p, W540/1 - last models with socketed processors

Upgraded models:
>X210 - X200/X201, i5 8250U quadcore
>X62 - X61, i5 5250U
>T70 - T60, i7 7700HQ
High-res IPS displays, USB 3.0, M.2 x4, mini-DP
forum.51nb.com/forum.php?mod=forumdisplay&fid=117

Why ThinkPad?
>Used machines are plentiful and cheap
>Excellent keyboards - tactile feel and quiet
>Great durability: magnesium rollcage for structural integrity, high quality plastic body panels
>Utilitarian design: indicator LEDs, 7 row keyboard layout on older models
>Docking stations that easily turns your laptop into a desktop
>Easy to repair (most models), upgrade & maintain thanks to readily available service manuals for every model, spare parts easy & cheap to obtain
>The TrackPoint™, great for those who type a lot or hate swiping their fingers all over a touchpad
>Excellent GNU/Linux & *BSD support

Helpful links:
>Buyers guide:
dankpads.com/tpg/
>thinkpad-tech-tree.txt - a plaintext map of ThinkPad history:
github.com/Monkeyfume/thinkpad-tech-tree/blob/master/thinkpad-tech-tree.txt
>ThinkWiki - info on ThinkPads & running GNU/Linux on them:
thinkwiki.org/wiki/ThinkWiki
>Coreboot compatibility list:
coreboot.org/status/board-status.html
>BIOS logo booru:
biosimage.booru.org

Attached: o.jpg (1271x847, 295K)

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/openwrt/mt76
aliexpress.com/item/MT7612/32817460933.html
aliexpress.com/item/Free-shipping-2-SSD-HDD-for-Laptop-Dual-Micro-SD-SDHC-SDXC-TF-to-Mini-PCIe/32561217037.html
github.com/corna/me_cleaner
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Best WLAN card upgrade for X200?

Attached: yellowshit.jpg (600x800, 61K)

lo-
god damn it

Anyone recently order a new 9-cell for T440p/T540p/W540 from Ebay? What kind of capacity did you get, and what seller did you buy from?

Sorry, user. I'm 550. I will stop posting yellowshit.jpg and start posting "lolis" when I get a solid answer to my question about the WLAN card. Currently I'm considering an Atheros QCA9880 or an Intel 9260 in an mSATA to M.2 adapter. I want 3x3 and 802.11ac, if I can.. but I heard that there are no 11ac cards with free drivers.

wtf is that shit and why do you keep posting it?

What's the cheapest t-series or x-series that has a 1080p IPS screen (or can be upgraded to one) and can stream 1080p video? I literally don't use my laptop for anything more than web browsing, video watching and word processing. X220/230 with an aftermarket IPS screen?

I'm getting a x200 for librebooting
any advice?

No need for an .11ac if your connection isn't faster than 300mbps.

X240 or T440s
don't overpay; also, use an RPi to libreboot but don't order the SOIC until after your X200 arrives and you can inspect it: X200 can have an 8-pin or a 16-pin BIOS chip and you will need a different SOIC in each case
that's the result of water or coolant mixing with motor oil, and it obviously will kill an engine if ignored

80 bucks is the best price/quality I found. But I think I'll get a ssd and maybe 8gb of ram

For flashing I'm going to use that soic8/16 clip with a usb eeprom programmer (ch341a).. hoping that it works..
I'm using my RPi for a server and can't take it down lol

Ive had this x230t for about 2 weeks now and its everything I thought it would be and more. Needs a new screen though. Is it an easy swap? How can I stuff a 4k multitouch in?

Can anyone help with ?

install gentoo

MT7612 if you want to have a near fully open source 2x2 ac wifi driver on linux. helpful if you do injection mode, mesh and other advanced wifi shit.

Intel 9260 (4x4 AC wifi 160MHz) if you dont care about open source shit. you need mini pcie to m.2 adapter.
if you dont want to use adapters, you can get intel 8260 or 7260 on mini pcie form factor.

github.com/openwrt/mt76
aliexpress.com/item/MT7612/32817460933.html

My T420 just got delivered! It's in INCREDIBLE shape, like even better than the pictures on the auction showed.

1/2

Attached: IMG_7185.jpg (2048x1536, 1017K)

2/2

Attached: IMG_7186.jpg (2048x1536, 1.1M)

The auction also listed that it came with a sleeve, the sleeve wasn't pictured but I expected it to be just some shitty laptop sleeve. DEFINITELY didn't expect one specifically made for this ThinkPad with a fuckin logo on it, this thing is sick.

1/2

Attached: IMG_7187.jpg (2048x1536, 1.01M)

I love this sleeve so much. Definitely using it forever.

2/2

Attached: IMG_7188.jpg (2048x1536, 968K)

is a refurbished x240 worth 240+ USD?

>red
yikes

Meh, only red on the inside. Plus black and red are kind of ThinkPad themed colors.

no.

Damn right, that thing looks awesome. I'd be happy to receive something in such great shape. How much did you pay for it?

$170 with free shipping. It's the i7 model with the nvidia graphics. Only 4gb of ram though, but still.

Should've bought the 1st gen thunkpad yoga instead

Attached: IMG_0659.jpg (2369x2812, 2.09M)

(Me)
(Well I checked it was legible at thumbnail size, but I didn't account for the compression)

Attached: 1525472387571.png (1294x968, 932K)

Ples someone put a x60s on eBay pleasse

Good luck when some part shits the bed due to apples shitty engineering

Nah, these older ones are far more resilient and serviceable than the shitty newer designs.

I know the older ones aren't as bad as the newer ones but how easy is it to find parts if you were to fuck up your keyboard or screen for example?

How difficult is replacing the charging port on an X230?
t. tech illiterate person

The W530 came out at the same time and has 32gb ram, three disk slots, high quality 1080p panel, magnesium alloy built, actually modular and definitely isn't a throttling, overheating aluminum piece of shit

ehhh got a t430, 8gb ram, an ssd, a quad cpu, and the nicer alienware 1600x900 panel for less than these are going on ebay in stock form

Anyone know which Thinkpad pens or generic Wacom pens will work with a ThinkPad Helix 2nd gen?

That model even without an SSD and 8gb ram still costs like $500 which is absurd for a computer that old.

The spec differences you're quoting are quite minor compared to the dramatically better keyboard and touchpad. I've used a T420 for example and it doesn't compare.

I got mine (non-upgraded) for $330.

>better keyboard and touchpad
lol
>$330
lol

Omg it looks like new released thinkpad.

I would pay 400$ for this unironically.

>lol
I haven't tried a T430 or W530. I /have/ used a T420 though, and they seem to be very similar. Are you honestly telling me you would prefer a T4{2,3}0 keyboard+touchpad over an MBP?

T440p: 4712MQ or 4900MQ & undervolt? Can anybody post temps?

Attached: moeconsidering.png (451x619, 392K)

clit mouse > touch pad

Yeah I was just shopping around on eBay, kinda just watching stuff not really bidding, but when I saw that one for $170 I bought it right away

100% yes i prefer every iteration of thinkpad keyboard to any mac laptop i've used since the ibook
>touchpad
i don't use the touchpad

you're in the wrong thread, buddy. maybe you should consider starting your own Friendly Apple General?

What do you guys use the mini pcie slot in the x200? I have an Intel turbo memory somewhere, but I read that it really doesn't make much of a difference. I also saw that you can put a wusb module in there, is there anything I can use that with? I was also thinking about a mini pcie ssd, but I couldn't find anything that small.

I tried using that on the T420. It worked fine, but it was fairly uncomfortable and scrolling was awkward compared to using two fingers on a touchpad. It makes sense for the tiny X series but I'm not sure why it's relevant on a 13"/14" machine.

Thing is I used to be all aboard the used thinkpad hype train (I have an X200 and T400 lying around, and used to have a T420). But after seeing how well the old MBPs have held up, I don't see how it makes any sense to buy a thinkpad instead.

Don't get the Bamboo Ink

That shit won't work with it

$200 (after upgrades) got me a better laptop than your $320 mbp (before upgrades)

>uncomfortable, awkward
again, maybe you should find a different thread to post in since it's pretty obvious we don't draw from the same well

It should be fairly easy. But you will have to disassemble the laptop. There are videos on youtube that shows how to do this but if you're still not confident then you should ask a repair shop to do it.

I've literally never gotten this good of a deal on anything in my life

Everything's coming up Milhouse

no mSATA wiring in the X200's WWAN, but USB is present; you can install native USB2 port inside (look it up) or a mini-USB3 with extension cable (not sure why full USB-3A can't be in there, but it's the chink manufacturers' decision) or this shit, which is slow as balls but might be cheap if you already have some 64GB or 128GB SD cards and want a second drive:
aliexpress.com/item/Free-shipping-2-SSD-HDD-for-Laptop-Dual-Micro-SD-SDHC-SDXC-TF-to-Mini-PCIe/32561217037.html
you can't upgrade the display on an X230T :(
literally $400, for that you could buy a T450s... I have a 2010 model (actually 2008 specs) and although I actually like the keyboard, the trackpad and the cold aluminum is annoying .. I had a different 2010 where the battery catastrophically failed as well, never had these issues with a Thinkpad. my main gripe is the inflated price for the specs, though.

>8 core at 3.6Ghz
>32gb vs 4gb
>1080p vs 800p
>minor
lmao ok kid

There's two kinds of wacom pens, ones for their plastic tablet and ones for screen tablets, I'm sure these all work on each other, but not for the other kind.
Maybe there's other wacom tech that I'm not aware of coming in the last couple of years, but the lens on my x220t, note 4, note 10.1 2014 all work on each other automatically and I'm happy with this setup.

>T440p
>i5 4200m
>1600x900
>GT 730m
>8GB RAM
>256GB SSD
Appears to be excellent condition and for approx. $290, should I get it? Any input appreciated.

>8 cores in a laptop
how illiterate are you?

Why do we never talk about x250 here? Are they shit? I've got one with i7 arriving on Friday for $221

Thinking of buying my first Thinkpad, cheapo T510 on eBay, only thing holding me back is that it's got a ton of scratches everywhere on the lid. Is there a good way to remove these scratches for cheap?

Can you safely remove stickers from the LCD cover after several years have passed?

God bless the Brexit and all the panic among the sellers in eBay. Just got a mint x270 maxed out for 400€.

Attached: 0e9.jpg (600x600, 39K)

>touchpad
>not trackpoint
yikes

>2012
W530 was alright I guess. What are the specs and price of that one?

but an atheros would be more open

Damn nice snag homie. Was it listed as a refurb or no ?

i love scratches, dents, chips and cracks

Just use a magic eraser.
If the aluminum is visible, buy a new cover or use plastidip.

i thought a wireless mouse dongle would be a good idea. think you can put an ssd there w a modified bios. also a 2nd wifi card for hacking

Wow thanks, I'll definitely look into the microsd adapter thing.

magic eraser
but this. embrace the nasty

>not disabling the touchpad in BIOS and exclusively using the trackpoint
You sicken me to the core.

Asking again, what's the vest way to clean ME from a x230? Preferably completely clean and disable.

Attached: parried.gif (1000x773, 328K)

Oh I need this one to complete my meager collection.

Hey guys I’ve got an Nvidia NVS 4200M in my t420 but dxdiag is only showing the onboard intel hd 3000

Is that normal?

open device manager and see there, if it's not there see if it's disabled in bios, if there's no bios option then check if chip is physically there if not you got scammed

how does a 8th gen cpu work in the X200?
how do i get one of those??

It's in the device manager along with the intel one, and in bios it's set to use Nvidia Optimus (whatever that is) and failing that use discrete (whatever that is) I'm a noob at GPUs

well then it's working just fine, it's using optimus system so dgpu will engage only when you use 3d applications, you can force it through nvidia panel if the auto detection doesn't work for whatever reason

Okay that's what I figured but I wasn't sure. Never had two GPUs in a laptop before.

Nvidia Control Panel doesn't run automatically when windows starts either so maybe that's a problem but idk.

>no trackpoint
try again fag

How am I doing, lads?

I upgraded the CPU, hard drive and RAM. I'm thinking of buying another stick of RAM to make it 16GB.

Attached: spec.jpg (761x599, 111K)

The nvidia gpu will only turn on when there's a running app that uses it, games, rendering, etc and isn't shown otherwise. Saves battery when not in use.

idk user, are they shit?

I'm looking at an x250 with i5 5300u for $250, with dock. Is that too much for it? I'm also confused as to wether or not I can upgrade the ram to 16gb on this model. Getting conflicting messages

>I'm looking at an x250 with i5 5300u for $250, with dock. Is that too much for it?

Yeah, I've seen them go for $150, also the dock shouldn't be more than $20 used.

how do I fix my shitty colors and what's the best screen for a w530?

Also, whats the cheapest I can get a small IBM think pad, and what model (pre 2003-5) I want something I can play around with, I'm getting rid of all of my classic thinkpads so I just want something cheap and small to use for fun. I miss the build quality.

i disagree, 5GHz spectrum is much less susceptible to EMI, and has more channels. every time my roommate turns the microwave on, my 2.4GHz is fucked

Are docks really that cheap? I don't need one but at $20 I'll probably get one

Looks neat but at the very least put LTSB on that.
Also I doubt you need 16gb unless you're doing something memory intensive.

If you don't need one, save the money for a rainy day. You'll never know when you'll regret not having that 20.

github.com/corna/me_cleaner

anybody here use or own a very old thinkpad? (before 2003-2005) what model do you have?

How do I fix my x220 touchpad while plugged in to a 90W charger?

Ordering one for myself soon, I hope to be blessed as much as you were user. Good shit.

oldest i got is t60 (2006) but ive heard of some dorks shitposting the on the pentium m 40-series

t440p masterrace

I'd get a t440p if you could coreboot+me_cleaner them.

t60 isn't old

Just picked up a clean t440s with a 1600x900 display for a steal, anyone know what 1080p panel I should upgrade it with?