/hsg/ Home Server General

/hsg/ HomeServer General

Now with new and improved copypasta!

>Why should I have a homeserver?
De-botnet your life. Learn something new. Serving applications to yourself, your family, and your firends feels good because service to others feels good. Put your Jow Forums skills to good use for yourself and those close to you. Store their data with proper availability redundancy and backups, don’t let googlel/applel/microshaft botnet them.

>How should I get started?
NAS is how most people get into this. It’s nice have a /comfy/ home for all your data. Streaming your movies/shows around the house and to friends is good feels. Repurpose an old desktop, buy a SBC, or go with cheap used enterprise gear. Lots of options and theres even a flowchart. Ask.

/hsg/ is about learning and expanding your horizons. Know all about NAS? Learn virtualization. Spun up some VMs? Learn about networking by standing up a pfsense box and configuring some vlans. Theres always more to learn and chances to grow. Think you’re godtier already? Setup openstack and report back.

>What software should I run?
install gentoo. Or whatever flavor of *nix is best for the job or most comfy for you. Emby to replace netflix, nextcloud to replace googlel, ampache to replace spotify, the list goes on and on. Look at the awesome selfhosted list and ask.

>Datahoarding ok here?
YES - you are in good company. Shuck those easystores and flash IT mode on your H310. All datahoarding talk welcome.

>Do I need a rack and all that noisey enterprise gear?
No. An old laptop or rpi can be a server if you want.

>Links
github.com/Kickball/awesome-selfhosted
old.reddit.com/r/datahoarder
labgopher.com
reddit.com/r/homelab/wiki/index

Attached: hsg.png (399x1058, 631K)

first for my cute homeserver

Attached: Selection_050.png (658x329, 32K)

hey /hsg/ my friend is gonna help me set up a homeserver from some random dell shitbox. I have a question though, what OS should I use? I was thinking about giving OpenBSD a try if it's compatible with the hardware and if not, I'll just use Void GNU/Linux like I do on all my other machines.
What does /hsg/ recommend?

>kusino

Attached: 3BEB6BCB-102D-4241-A0FE-D13236B9B570.jpg (300x300, 33K)

debian
8x8TB snapraid + mergerfs, 2 drives parity for anime and other videos
2x4TB raid1 cloud storage/backup for immediate family members (via loli.safe clone, mostly)
kodi
irc bouncer
matrix server
torrentbox
rss stuff for news and server status
mpd
gitlab
pihole

thats about it, apart from the fact that i love kirino~

Attached: 1512076715158.jpg (1280x1440, 141K)

Whatever you're most comfy with. Unless its explicitly for experimentation, its probably best to go with what you know to prevent any issues affecting reliability. You want it to be a rock, so stick with what you know is my recommendation. What services do you plan to run?

I just got my loli.safe fired up - it is nice. Have you figured out a way to stop it from renaming the files? So far that is my only complaint.

I would like to experiment with it a bit, otherwise I'd follow your rec and use void.
I mainly want to experiment with webdev. I've got a particular project at uni which will require MariaDB, php, and hosting (probably using nginx).
I'd also like to stream music and potentially stream movies on day as well, but those are secondary.

Attached: 70068866_p0.jpg (1384x1893, 1.26M)

i set it up a while ago and i think i only changed line 22 in uploadController.js

Attached: schizo_kuronegro_faggot.png (793x322, 175K)

Sounds like a hypervisor might be the better setup. ESXI or XenServer would be options looking into. That way you can fuck it all up and just spin up a new one, plus snapshotting your progress and cloning a "fresh build" etc. Plus that way you can install void, ubuntu, Debian, and whatever else and see which has the best support for your schoolwork.

based user. I'll check it out - thank you

currently running:
nextcloud
matrix
urbackup
mumble
fedora desktop

Attached: Selection_002.png (1025x165, 33K)

Dang nice v2. I was thinking about going for that proc for my compute box, but went with the 2690v1 instead. How do you like urbackup? I've heard its pretty fast - any complaints?

hrm, why a hypervisor?
and does running VMs use a lot of resources?
Again, I mainly want it just to run a database and host a few sites. Btw, I'd like to run it headless.
I doubt that software support will be an issue, considering how basic everything should be.

If you're looking to experiment, e.g. try some things that might bork your setup, requiring you to reinstall and try again, then VMs with a hypervisor would be ideal. Or if you want to try a bunch of different OS's (maybe apt-get has a newer package of something you need than yum, or whatever). But if you're just doing basic stuff that doesn't fit that criteria, then by all means stick with what you know and will be stable. Hypervisors have a small amount of overhead, yes, but its negligible for the most part.

The 450MHz UltraSPARC IIs I ordered for my Ultra Enterprise 250 have finally arrived, yay~
OpenBoot detected them as 400MHz CPUs, presumably because those are the fastest officially supported by the E250, but a good ol' at-speed command fixed the issue.

Attached: 450s.jpg (1440x2560, 542K)

I wish I had a cute imouto like that.

And they're working a treat! I've been stress-testing them for some hours now and not a single issue.

Attached: Screen Shot 2019-02-26 at 19.09.07.png (477x309, 51K)

Had some issues with earlier versions of Urbackup, but the current one runs without problems on Centos7 and backups Linux and Windows machines pretty fast.

I see, thanks for the info!
I probably won't end up running a hypervisor, but you do bring up something I was kinda taking for granted: I may need to decide on what I use based on what packages I'll need v. what are available.

What're you using that Sparcy for? Are those pci compute cards? How do they make themselves available to the system? Just like extra CPUs? Sounds badass

Cool - I'll checkout the latest version. Ever since crashplan ended their Home plan, I've been looking at a good way to backup my families windows PCs.

No prob user - glad to have helped. Please report back how it goes!

>What're you using that Sparcy for?
Seedbox, minecraft server, boot server (tftpd, bootparamd, rarpd), NFS, Samba and probably something else I'm forgetting. Basically what you'd use any modern machine for. I shoved a Supermicro SAT2-MV8 SATA II PCI-X controller and some modern multi-terabyte drives for storage in it.
>Are those pci compute cards?
They're processor modules. They contain the CPUs, 4MiB of external cache and the VRM circuitry.
Pic is the module that died and made me buy the 450MHz pair. Leftmost are the UPA bus controllers (two of them because the bus is arranged in a crossbar configuration), next to them are the e-cache chips, and then there's the processor itself (LGA package in 1998!) and to the right is the VRM.
>How do they make themselves available to the system? Just like extra CPUs?
Well, they are the main CPUs. They communicate with the system through a UPA bus capable of up to 1GiB/s peak throughput, pretty impressive stuff for 1998.
There were "PCI coprocessor cards" for these SPARC systems, but they were basically self-contained x86 PCs used for compatibility purposes. There wasn't really any I/O between the system and the "coprocessor" to speak of, apart from video loopback and a virtual disk interface.

Attached: Fried 400.jpg (2631x2847, 2.65M)

i want to nakadashi kirino

Consider LXC/LXD or BSD jails, they offer more flexibility than a hypervisor without the immutable aspects of Docker which can hurt if you're going to experiment a lot. You get to run what you're comfortable with and use the host for more than VM orchestration. KVM will still be available if you go the linux route with LXC.

What you running on that cute homeserver?

that's pretty cool, how much additional power usage are we looking at here? might consider picking up one or two of those fags

Attached: 1551030191825.jpg (483x589, 78K)

Can someone help me? I have a weird phobia; I'm scared to put shit on my server because I don't want to lose data. Ironically, I ran an SSD RAID 0 on my desktop for a few years. Pls make it stop.

what can I do with my old laptop? AMD E-300 with 4GB of ram and no hard drive? Would I be better off just getting a raspberry pi to do literally anything?

Get a good backup solution going. Crashplan, google drive unlimited, backblaze b2 are all competitively priced (~$10/mo). That alleviated my phobia. I run 3 SSDs in raid0 on my compute ESXI machine, but I have no fear thanks to automatic snapshots and 3-2-1 backup strategy.

No hdd? Thats pretty bottom tier cpu. Is that ram DDR2? Instead of an rpi and all the extras (sd card, power brick capable of +2amps, etc) just buy a used dell optiplex from eBay. You can get an i7 with 8GB of ram for $125.

The system uses around 125W constantly, since it has no power saving features of any kind. This is with fully populated memory (16 DIMMs around 2W each), and four spindles.
If you just want a SPARC system to mess around I'd recommend a Netra X1 or a Netra T1 105. Those use just about 30W.

Google Drive is only unlimited if you have more than 5 users on the account(meaning $50/month), and, correct me if I'm wrong, the other services you listed require you to use their software to make backups.

Does Google enforce that limit though? Because I have well over 1TB on a single account.

Also it's $60 a month for 5 users now.

Interesting. I read up a bit online and it seems like it's not actually being enforced. Thanks

ok cool, ill look one up and think of stuff I can use it for thanks

Hey /wsg/, I have a NUC (NUC7PJYH) with 8GB of ram and a 250GB SSD. On it I wanna put 2 personal websites that don't get much traffic and a discord bot that I want to tinker with. How do these smol NUCs handle stuff like that? I only ever briefly played with a rPi before and have little experience with servers other than shared webhosting.
Reading OP's links rn.

Attached: smol-boye.jpg (250x166, 5K)

Is there a way to only turn on my server when I need it to save on power? Like just a couple of hours a day for updates and downloading stuff, unless I want to connect externally for cloud storage or something?

I've used many nucs before. Unless you are getting a higher end one it's a much better option to just build a small computer. You get much better compute power for the money

Yep - the Jow Forumsdatahoarder folks have TBs upon TBs on google drive with just one user (so $10/mo) - alls you need is a domain to register it with. I don't trust it as my sole backup, and instead go with crashplan small business (same $10/mo).

Sounds like he already owns it.

I run a NUC right now (pic related, on the shelf) for exactly that type of work. Always on stuff, as its the lowest power draw in my rack. Its more than powerful enough for those tasks user. It will be much more powerful than any rpi, and you're not limited to arm builds only.

Yes - you can set cron jobs to turn off computer, and schedule a lower power box to WoL them when needed. Some bios have options to power on at specific times of day too.

>pic related...

Attached: datrack.png (450x1082, 901K)

I set a DHCP server from isc, but i'm probably setting it up wrong.

when i set a new network from dhcp and use the modem's gateway i only get access to google sites. don't have any google DNS set anywere though, maybe my isp does?
anyway, do i need a NAT server aswell to open internet for the dhcp clients like in WS?

and i know it's recommended, but do i NEED a second nic for this?

Attached: 52358928_501669220236995_2727007300395991040_n.jpg (534x524, 11K)

NAT is required, and isn't a separate server, should be a service automatically performed by your modem/router. default gateway should be the inside address, not the outside public one

just bite the bullet config dhcp to give clients google DNS, I do and it works perfectly. if youre autistic about muh botnet then i cant help you

what's your setup like now? can't imagine how you WOULDN'T be using a second NIC

I slapped the hard drive into my desktop a year ago because I wasn't using it for anything else. I guess I could stick it back in and use it but at only 300GB it wouldn't be great for storage. It's DDR3 I think

i'll try setting the dns, not a problem for me.

oh is my setup weird, i have a dismantled notebook and a common switch, that's why adding up a second nic would be hard

>go on lederp r/selfhosted
>niggers hosting their shit on windows servers
Why would someone do that? Lederp never again.

Anyways, do you guys run everything on docker? I'm considering reinstalling my ubuntu to make it run everything on doker.

Attached: BGnUw7YrwAAAABJRU5ErkJggg==.png (243x207, 5K)

Is there a way to listen from a MPD server using android?

Linus said it's unlimited, BUT they throttle your uploads at some point. They were able to saturate their upstream with a bunch of threads uploading data as different users, but there is a throttle point.

I already have it. It used to be my daily driver but I upgraded and don't want this one to just collect dust in a drawer.
Thanks user, I'll put some linux server OS on it and see how far I can tinker my way through this. Cute rack btw

services:
qbittorent
netdata
smb
pixiv|twitter subscription

all storage is accessible via local 10Gbe SFP only. 65TB raw, 32 TB usable(RAID10). I use veeam for automated incremental backups of my Windows client weekly.

case:SC847
front backplane : SAS2
rear backplane : SAS1
mobo : X8DTl-3F-TM010
cpu:2x E5645(24 cores)
hba:Dell H310 flashed to LSI 9211-8i P20 IT Mode
10gbe:2x mellanox ConnectX-2
ram:64GB

my next big upgrade will be purchasing a rack enclosure for my server + desktop to go inside.

Attached: screenshot.3.png (438x223, 2K)

are you not content with your data being inside a raid setup? sure it's not a 'backup', but depending on your raid configuration, the chances of data loss is very minimal.

i'm nearly 99% certain the only way im losing all my data is if a natural disaster destroys my entire house, in which case, i would promptly kill myself.

Attached: 1531373001174.jpg (652x795, 234K)

>the Jow Forumsdatahoarder folks have TBs upon TBs on google drive
The problem is that I'm in America. Our ISP's give us dogshit upload speeds, so it would take 6 months (all while having my up bandwidth drained) to do a full backup of my storage.

I mean I guess that's not too bad since I consider my data my lifeline. Is it possible to upload all your data completely encrypted, so all they see is raw storage? I don't want any online service having direct access to my data.

what's directly downstream from the modem, the switch or the notebook?

the former doesn't seem out of place to me, i have something similar. my switch is directly downstream of my modem, and the port/VLAN connected to the modem is set to obtain an address via DHCP, specifically a public one from my ISP. that same VLAN has NAT outside enabled on it. every other port is associated with a single user VLAN that uses a hard-coded private address, and has NAT inside enabled. everything else pulls DHCP from a virtual windows 2016 server. user def. gate is the user VLAN address on the switch, switch def. gate is the ISP VLAN.

not sure why a second NIC is recommended. to be frank with you the relationship between NICs, ports, and MAC addresses are fuzzy to me, but im not a dumbass when it comes to firewall policies/ACLs so security has never been an issue for me.

Curious, Why Google's DNS over Cloudflare's? I mean it's probably like comparing Apples to Oranges, but from what I've read, Cloudflare is the better choice overall.

in my experience there really isnt a difference. google just happens to be what ive used the longest. everything else ive tried works just as well.

/hsg/, Why can't I get my fucking crontabs to work? crontab -e

* */4 * * * root cd /path/to/shit/ && ./init.sh

This should run every 4 hours, but nothing is happening. I know because once the script is done running it's supposed to print a timestamp to a file. I already tested if the script can execute by running it manually and it works fine, so it's related to crontab.

>and does running VMs use a lot of resources?
yes, pic related.

>everything is resting on the supermicro
>switch has ears but is still on a shelf
absolutely disgusting

Attached: Screen Shot 2019-02-26 at 7.45.06 PM.png (3360x2100, 616K)

>98 VM's
>36 networks
How is this a home server? is this guy a troll?

With only 8TB of storage is probably a server for a website rather than a home server.

>iphone poster
Die.

>bixnood.net
>work
stay retarded user, also how new are you to these threads that you dont know about bixnood?

That 8TB is an all flash vSAN. Those 3 servers have 30 SSDs between them.

Attached: IMG_20190217_2158551.jpg (1279x853, 148K)

networks

Attached: Screen Shot 2019-02-26 at 10.05.35 PM.png (3360x2100, 598K)

check syslog for your job output. just off hand, I don't know why you have root in your crontab

I use malp

I want to ensure I'm the only person that connects to my site remotely. Would setting up my own VPN, and then only allowing that IP address work? I don't want my server logs being flooded with chinese/russian botnets.

Good day Jow Forums
I have been running my own home server for about three years now, but considering it was an old worn laptop I was given with poor specs it never ran anything besides samba, web server and openVPN server, plus a general backup location. It recently gave up on me (didn't lose any data), and I am now using a much higher specced machine, pic related. I am currently using it for the same purposes, but cannot think of anything that I could use it for. I don't save any video media offline, or play many games, where I could host a game server. I used to have a Nextcloud instance on it, but did not use it very much as I use syncthing and such.

Do you guys know of anything useful I could use it for?

Attached: lain_rice.png (1234x948, 36K)