Workplace rants

Does anyone else feel they no longer come across interesting programming problems in their dev jobs?

When I was studying CS I had all these interesting topics to learn about - algorithms, data structures, type theory, logic, AI - but now that I'm employed as web developer, all the problems are "this box doesn't look right" or "this Javashit npm package broke something".

And no, whatever came up at your last sprint retrospective doesn't count as an interesting programming problem.

Please let workplace rants ensue.

Attached: developers.jpg (2122x1415, 266K)

>works as a web dev
>complains you don't get to do CS stuff
What did you expect fucktard?

you're a web dev, what did you expect?

Why did you accept a web dev position, retard?

It's obvious to anyone that the web is massive compared to anything else right now.
I don't think it's wrong to expect programming, even web dev, to have interesting problems.

Wait until you get to refactor pajeet JS...

You're not a fucking programmer, you're just a webfag with a big ego who thinks shitting up the world makes him smart

plenty of problems with implementing efficient solutions on websites. besides the normal css/html, you need php, javascript, mysql, and any other of a myriad languages.

You thought wrong dum dum. I got out of web dev to do data science/ml. It's a meme but at least I get to actually think at work instead of installing another microlibrary to smooth over the Indian shitting street that is the web platform.

JS is programming

>Learning another shitty scripting language is the same as actually having to engineer up unique solutions to intellectually stimulating problems

The average web developer right here.

This sounds fun. What do you do all day? And what bits about your job are better than web dev?

*shrugs* it's how it is in web dev. there is no single language to use to efficiently do everything.

Go back to India you curry-munching street-shitting girl-raping smelly stinky fucking pajeet

>there is no language to effectively do anything
FTFY

Spam filtering, recommendation systems, general reports/statistical analysis on customer retention and I do do regular development in addition to the above since there's not really enough model building to go around. Like I said it's a meme, but I occasionally get to do something more than install react polymer web component version 0.0.1rc

I see interesting problems all the time desu.
>t. Embedded Software Engineer

All the interesting problems are on the backend, retard!!!

Go back to manually collecting the garbage shit out all over your mom's basement by your home-made onahole waifu program you fucking turboautist

How did you get into this senpai

I like C and Lua

>not being a devops chad and mogging all the developers using your shit

I'm a programmer. I've been the last 6 months (almost 7 months) doing sysadmin work instead of programming. I don't know how to say (I already did in a ton of different ways) I'm not a sysadmin and don't want to keep doing that shit...

I have a degree in CS and Maths and I nailed the interview

I work for an insurance company that gives me tons of very interesting problems. I'm not allowed to talk about any of them because that would jeopardize trade secrets and sometimes even be a legal risk. I am all alone without help beyond the handful of morons who are regularly hired and fired within weeks. I wish I could just be part of a stupid webdev poojeet clean up crew without tossing my salary into the loo as well. Count your blessings, niggerfaggot.

Attached: 1450001493159.jpg (1077x1053, 84K)

I did web work, but the happy to work on infra now. Kinda more demanding in terms of things you have to think about and know, from low level OS stuff to all kinds of reliability concerns but it's ok.

you failed to impress, that's all. nobody wants to give the greenfield projects to the people they know are mediocre and just shit kicking for a paycheck. you need to show you have some grunt

>implying there are interesting problems to solve
Most business apps are CRUD or boring data analytics.
Most web apps are CRUD with fancy graphics and a blog.
Most managers want something that passes as a working program as fast as possible, quality and security be damned.
Most "programmers" assemble "apps" from imported Legos, I mean, uh, "libraries."

And the whole industry gets away with this shit because we have 8-32gb of RAM and multi-billion instruction per second processors. And outside of gaming no normie understands that if they're waiting for something to finish on their PC, outside of 4k video editing, it's because Pajeet shit the street again and the CPU is doing doughnuts in some arcane, slow, buggy library.

>I wish I could just be part of a stupid webdev poojeet clean up crew without tossing my salary into the loo as well. Count your blessings, niggerfaggot.
No you don't. Believe me you don't. You wish you had a small team of equally skilled engineers so the work would be interesting and not overwhelming.

> Does anyone else feel they no longer come across interesting programming problems in their dev jobs?
Yes. Maybe you'll find the rule of one year useful: if there are no more interesting techs to learn, if you didn't learn anything in the last year - leave.

> backend isn't webdev
But it is, if it serves websites.

pajeet