Costs the same as basic tablets

>Costs the same as basic tablets
>Much less functionality
>Even within its only real function, reading shit, its crappy in comparison to basic tablets; pdfs for example are basically unusably slow because of shit processor and display that takes 3 seconds to refresh
Is there a tech scam out there bigger than ereaders?

Attached: Activating-Kindle-Unlimited-on-Kindle-Paperwhite-4-2018-540x540.jpg (540x540, 31K)

Other urls found in this thread:

store.bq.com/en/cervantes-4-8gb
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

You clearly haven't picked up the kindle paper white and actually used it. I would choose a paperwhite over some eye blinding-bluelight ridden piece of shit tablet that I have to charge everyday.

Even if you dont like ePaper, it is much much more energy efficient than any other display.

Have fun reading your iPad outdoors.

Attached: maxresdefault.jpg (1280x720, 47K)

>tfw rumors of xiaomi making an e-ink reader died down
When will we get a cheap e-ink device running android from a reputable chinese manufacturer?

Imagine being such a useless zoomer that even reading a book becomes a problem.

>Amazon and their fuck huge bezels

Attached: giphy.gif (800x450, 3.8M)

the reputable ones are being leashed by china during trade bitchness with america, so they're reluctant to just ignore copyright

bazos loves bezels

All tablets are useless.

>month-long battery life
>reflective screen that doesn't strain your eyes

Also keep in mind that it's not Amazon or Kobo trying to scam you (the former even subsidise their readers with ads), eink displays are heavily patent encumbered and manufactured by literally 1 company.

>using iPads
Get huawei mediapad M5

Attached: huawei-mediapad-m5-pro-review-11-720x720.jpg (720x480, 55K)

The Likebook® Mars™ does not have this problem.

It's good for what it is. But yeah, I bought one, used it for a week then went back to my normal tablet.

It's too slow to be tolerable, month long battery or no.

You are just a pathetic poorfag who doesn't understand the point of e-readers

t.someone who just spent $700 in a Sony Digital Paper. You will never know the glorious feel of looking at an e-ink screen during midnight while having 0 eye strain.

Name tablet that best alternative of kindle for reading?
Hint: you cant

yeah i'm pissed how expensive these are. been lurking selling pages/apps for 2 months trying to get a good deal on a paper white to replace my kindle 4

Attached: 1513851099655.png (849x1200, 346K)

I never really bought into the whole "it's easier on the eyes" meme. Shit feels about the same to me.

Also the delay in turning pages makes it very hard to speed read or lookup information, making using it for anything besides a novel useless.

As someone who reads a lot, buying Ereader was a lifechanger.
Thanks to a backlight, you can read even in complete dark. Reading normal books under desk lamp feels really shitty now.

You don't hold it like a phone because you don't have to give it presice touch input, just simple taps or swipes to change the page so bigger bezels are more comfortable to use.

Attached: 4l29bdkx9j1y.jpg (1200x1760, 725K)

Tablets are useless if you already have a phone and they are worse for epubs because they don't have e-ink screens. As for pdfs and djvus, i.e. textbooks, they are meant to be read on a computer anyway.

i got mine for free. they're pretty good but you can't use it for anything else but reading books. i'm ok with that, though. one thing that might put people off (especially anons here) is that i'm yet to encounter an e-reader that supports cbz files. i had to download some app that could do that.

Most of the patents have expired in 2016. You can literally purchase eink displays in a variety of sizes on eBay from the chinks. They're usually small and very low resolution. Maybe it's just really that expensive to make them.

*From a reputable Chinese mass surveillance manufacturer.

kobos support cbz and cbr

>turns off wi-fi
nothin personnel, chinks

It's the same issue as with most modern electronics: each individual CPU/chip/screen costs a miniscule amount of cashmoney, but there is a prohibitively high entry cost.
After you have the multi-million costing machines, each screen costs a few cents in materials and electricity.

Manufacturers don't want to sell a batch of screens that's small enough for a regular customer to buy.

You can put all the images of a .cbz file into a folder if you have the time, it's just a zip file with images in it. Reading comics on a e-reader is bothersome when you can't zoom in conveniently, though.

I have had both tablets and an ereader (6") and the ereader is far better.
Obviously, the small one I have is for e-books and PDFs are a pain to use.
You can configure it to be landscape and you can crop pdf files so you don't have the margins so it is easier to read, but it is still a pain to use.
It is a nice gadget, it is really pleasant to read from and it doesn't need internet or proprietary software to function. (Other than the firmware on the device, I never looked into changing that anyway).

But you can also get a huge one that is good for displaying PDFs. Those are very expensive but I like the concept.

I paid 60 for mine, and it has the backlight option, is waterproof, and can hold 64GB worth of books. That said, there's nothing better than an e-ink screen without the backlight.

Whats the advantage of this over, say, the 2018 samsung tab a?

I don't like how the prices on ereaders have been creeping up and up. I paid like $200 for my last Kobo, although it's also way way nicer than they were 10 years ago.

Why not just get a Kobo H2O version 2?

Better hardware for the price.
Also never get the A series, it's low end, with crappy hardware and overpriced for what it is.
If you want to go samsung, get the Tab S 4.

Let's list some pros:
>Weigh less
>Longer battery life
>Pretty sure the DPI is still higher but don't quote me on that
>Can be read in any light conditions
>Easy on the eyes
>At least the one I have is just an arm chip running linux and I can just replace the entire OS with no effort with anything I want so it's more versatile than locked down jew android crap

were they too tired to airbrush her chin?

Attached: Screenshot_20190227-132105_Dashchan.png (720x1440, 482K)

Bezels are good for reading, you magnificent retard.

Could someone recommend me a tablet i could put a vehicle manual program on? It requires a VMware player as well. So i guess a tablet that's pretty much a tiny computer.
Enlighten me as i've never used nor purchased one before.

only people who have not seen one in real life would say they compare to an lcd tablet for reading

Based consumerist retard.

>At least the one I have is just an arm chip running linux and I can just replace the entire OS with no effort with anything I want so it's more versatile than locked down jew android crap
Which one is that?

Compared to modern phones with big oled displays they are completely shit. After using kindle (backlit one) and s9 note for extensive book reading I can tell you that "muh eink is easier on eyes" is 100% made up bullshit.

Im still using my nexus 7 2013

Attached: IMG_0015[1].jpg (1280x960, 324K)

cbz is more convenient. i wrote a python script that looks up doujins in various sites, downloads them and packs them in a cbz file.

Are there a lot of ebook online for free and can you read those on Kindle or other e-ink devices? I guess they would have to be in some special format

>can set font size and style
>can read outside
>doesn't rape your eyes
>charge lasts a month
The cheap Paperwhite from Amazon is 70 or so on sale and thats a decent price for it

Been thinking about buying a used Kindle Oasis, they can be found for around $150. It's probably cheaper to buy the e-reader and get books for free then buying actual books.

Libraries, homie. Libraries.

Buy it if you really like reading and can't be bothered to buy tons of books /go to a library. They're not useful for anything else. E-ink screens are really nice and work in any light. Backlight is useful but then it's basically the same as any tablet/phone screen glowing at you.

You don't have to buy an expensive kindle. There are other Ebook readers that are cheaper and have just as good screen that don't tire out your eyes as much. You can get a good one under a 100$ or even around 80$ which if you like to read is not that bad of a deal if you also consider the long battery life. People should not try to compare Ebook readers to tablets because they are very different devices with very different purposes. You can get both of those things relatively cheaply as long as you don't go for the high end stuff anyway.

You want the Calibre app to convert the files and put them in the device.

There are pirate sites for epub downloads. That's usually the standard format.

Will there ever be a good alternative to Calibre? It's a fine software, but a little too overkill if I only want to convert some books

Good option but they don't have anything that I would be interested in.

If you don't specifically want a kindle you can look into other brands of Ebook readers that can handle more formats than the kindle and you basically just throw your files on them like a flash drive with no extra software required. Kindles are like the Iphones - overpriced, require extra software and generally made so you can easily get ebooks from amazon but harder to get them from anywhere else (like pirating them).

is that your pic? why are you still running android 4 on there

Attached: 2_bbsonvedxq.jpg (715x1000, 149K)

I use a BQ Pascal.
Also called a master g g700c
It has a ton of years though.

I'm open to other brands, I don't have any special interest in Kindle but I think the Paperwhite is a good example of the sort of device I'd like: E-ink, backlight, battery life. Also the main use for it would be to read pirated books

>personnel

I think you meant to say "personal." Not really surprised that anons don't understand proper English.

Not him, but kobo for example

>being this new

They might but it's still free, so there's no reason to not buy a Kindle Oasis for books you know you want + a library for random browsing

The likebook or boox tick all those boxes. Also arguably the best Android e-readers in the market.

>vmware player
Get a winshit tablet. The program is most likely targeted at x86 so using anything arm is pretty much out of the question anyway.

Can't you just take screenshots and make it a pdf?

sanic disapproves of your faggotry

*teleports 360 degrees and walks behind you*

>that I have to charge everyday

Exactly this.
I use mine for an hour or so a day and only charge once every two weeks.

Have fun reading your huawei mediapad M5 outdoors.

The last good e-book reader before touch-faggotry became ubiquitous is the kindle 3.

The spanish one.
store.bq.com/en/cervantes-4-8gb

>tablets
You will immediately cease and not continue to access the site if you are under the age of 18.

Using the 2012 version here. Werks fine. Although the battery can get quite hot during extensive usage(reading 1+ hour of manga and downloading in background).

> e-reader
> android
pick one

I just my tab s4 for drawing and comics
I genuinely can't tell the difference with a kindle - the entire thing just seems massively limited for the price

I am.
It uses a PenTile RGBW matrix with an extra white subpixel, meaning the screen can automatically light up to 630nits under sunlight if needed.
also
>using indoors appliance outdoors
>going outside in the first place

Why isn't there a large dual-screen ebook reader that's taken off yet?

Attached: gvido_07.jpg (1000x750, 69K)

Jow Forums doesn't like e-readers because NEET males don't read books or anything longer than a blog post really, I think the latest stats are that 97% of people aged 22-29 have read less than 2 books in the past year.

Slightly off-topic but serious question guys. I've been trying to get into reading educational books and prefer to have everything digital, so of course I searched online for the ebook versions to download. But whenever I try opening them up in an ebook reader app (say, Adobe Digital Editions, for example) the formatting is fucking awful. It's a total shitty mess. Why is this? Are ebooks just shit? Is it just the ones I downloaded that are poorly made due to file conversions or something? If you buy an ebook, is it normally formatted exactly the same way as the real book?

t. Sonic stalin

The nook 1st edition uses android

>Things I can do extremely well on an ereader
Read books
>Things I can do extremely well on a tablet
Nothing

E-readers are worth their price. Tablets are worth nothing.

I read 3 books a year. I guess I'm a genius now.

>Much less functionality
It does one thing and does it well, unlike a tablet that *can* do said thing, really poorly.
> within its only real function, reading shit, its crappy in comparison to basic tablets
The PDF reading functionality is makeshift at best, I'll give you that, but it completely shits on tablets when you read properly formatted stuff.
>Is there a tech scam out there bigger than ereaders?
You obviously don't read enough to appreciate it. Most likely you barely read at all and just shitpost for the sake of it. I sometimes read 8+ hours a day on the off-time during a 24hr shift, and using a tablet would be completely impossible, even if I discounted the pain in the ass that is reading a tablet display for an appreciable amount of time, or making out anything in direct sunlight - who the fuck wants to be pretty much permanently charging the thing?

>Things I can do extremely well on a tablet

Read PDFs. Most ebook readers still shit the bed when it comes to that. Worst case they don't have reflow and the software engineers decided it's a good idea to reset the zoom after every page turn.
Best case there are reflow options and they actually work, but fuck up every time they encounter a text box or figure captions.

I want everything except my TV/monitor to be e-ink but it seems like the tech has stagnated. I want an e-ink watch, e-ink reader, hell I'll take an e-ink phone if it gives me a 3-4 day battery life

Literal same fags that are embarrassed about grammar.

>pdfs for example are basically unusably slow because of shit processor and display that takes 3 seconds to refresh
This is why I never used my Kobo. All I wanted it to do was read PDFs and mangoes and it was shit at both.
Can anything match the Kindle Fire HD 10 in price/performance? It's on sale for $120 right now. I'd probably be fine with an 8" screen if the resolution is good, I just don't want to pay out the ass.

Got an ereader would prefer a tablet but it was a gift so can't complain.

Haven't touched my Kobo since I started reading on muh S8 + Moon+.

I am the opposite I went from my moon+ on phone to my Ebook reader and haven't looked back

You do know that there are display settings, in android, to reduce the impact of bluelight.

Hurr durr muh sleek design me cool guy

I charge the thing like once every two months and I can fit more than 12 words on the screen unlike my phone. I also got it on sale for like $90. I don't think I could've gotten a worthwhile tablet at that price range.

You get what you pay for

>Costs the same as basic tablets

you guys must have gotten ripped off, got my kindle paper white for like £49 on sale...

where do you get a decent lagdroid tablet for that price?

>kindle

if you're curious about ereaders then do get them.

they're worth it

They're not, however, good for fitting in your pocket.

Fits nicely on the inside pocket of a jacket I own

Good luck wearing that jacket in summer.

This is such a miss leading number.
What kind of book? How long was it? Is printed studying material considered a book? So many questions.