Grub developers REFUSE to put an option on their software to stop displaying this ugly message during boot

Grub developers REFUSE to put an option on their software to stop displaying this ugly message during boot.

In order to hide it, the different Linux distros have to patch grub themselves.

Why are open source developers so autismo?

Attached: maxresdefault.jpg (1280x720, 88K)

Other urls found in this thread:

wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/silent_boot
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/systemd-boot
github.com/coreos/grub/blob/2.02-coreos/grub-core/kern/main.c#L277
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ward_Cunningham#Cunningham's_Law
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>ugly
Onions detected. Go complain about real problems, such as GRUB being bloated.

You surely care about some completely not autistic details.

>using a bootloader in 2019

they are beautiful

>muh EFI has NOTHING to do with bootloaders OwO

Ive never seen one of those and Ive been using Gentoo and Arch for years now. How about you just configure your system properly so it doesn't spit out errors everytime you turn it on?

besides the systemd meme who would actually use grub unironically, with all of the utilities that come with systemd which is easily integrates you may as well just use systemd as your boot loader

>Ive been using Gentoo and Arch for years now
Nigger, there's a page in the Arch wiki called "Silent boot" in which they tell you to install a grub version patched by a random Pajeet in order to stop grub displaying this shit.

wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/silent_boot

I am running Arch and I get the ugly-ass "Welcome to GRUB!" message everytime I turn my computer on.

Attached: grub.png (710x234, 22K)

why would you ever load arch with grub

Why would you want to hide Grub messages? Don't you want to know what's going on?

Attached: 1542280656297.png (610x357, 243K)

I don't know better

You really get bothered by WELCOME TO GRUB for a split second?
>being this autistic

Yes, it's ugly as fuck.

wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/systemd-boot

here you go man, for the love of god switch over to the light

you all need to go back

go back where man, this is my home :)

-Posted from my iPad

Attached: hehe.jpg (188x195, 9K)

>-Posted from my iPad
kys

I hate having to use the e-word, but you sure are entitled. GRUB is real free software, so you can modify it to delete the message, hell even some distros are shipping alternate versions with it already removed like It's not like we are talking about certain CFW for certain game console that makes certain splash screen that you can't remove because the "open" source code they give you is not compilable to the binaries they give you, so you can't really build it yourself, even though that splash screen has the audacity to claim it's "free and open source"

they're probably unable to because grub is that much of a mess

Dude, all it takes to add an option to remove that message is six or seven lines of code. As you say, there are dozens of distros that patch grub to remove it.

Why the fuck would they refuse to add this patch? What makes someone so autistic to refuse to add this and keep making distros patch every grub release?

Where's the entitlement?

>mfw I run arch on ec2 instances and have no idea what everyone is talking about.

Are you so fucking retarded that you can't edit /etc/default/grub?

THIS

>wrong password
>have to reboot to try again
fuck grub!

>ugly
stop grubshaming, cis scum

>not using plain EFIStub
>not using rEFInd
>not using systemd-boot

totally agree - is this a bootloader or a bloatloader

grug good, systemd less feature

>Dude, all it takes to add an option to remove that message is six or seven lines of code.

If its that easy why dont you fucking do ot yourself then and stop bitching about a lousy message that appears for a few seconds. Fuckin autists I swear.

There is even graphical interfaces to the config file, so I don't even know what OP is on about.

>If its that easy why dont you fucking do ot yourself then and stop bitching about a lousy message that appears for a few seconds. Fuckin autists I swear.
Are you actually retarded? It has ALREADY BEEN DONE. THEY REFUSE TO USE IT. Instead, distro mantainers have to manually patch every release. Fucking brainlet

The answer is [spoiler]rEFInd[/spoiler].

do you know where we are

How embarrassing.

you don't need a bootloader on modern computers, see EFISTUB

newfag
true tho, refind o

Judging by the parameters set in the image it looks like you would potentially be disabling an important error reporting buffer. If that's the case it's no wonder the devs would never patch this in, that would be fucking retarded, not unlike you are.

I feel smug because I use Iilo. Feelsgoodman.

The message he is talking about has nothing to do with the errors. He is talking about the "Welcome to GRUB!" retarded message that appears during boot and cannot be disabled.

>Grub
Is this really even necessary, other loaders and I didn't think this was used with uefi. Why does this still exist?

>cannot be disabled
It clearly can, and if you look at the capture of the arch wiki he posted they are clearly asking you to do something which removes both the welcome to grub message and other boot messages, the latter is just plain fucking stupid. Bootloaders handle a critical role, it is important for them to be as verbose as possible.

>Why are open source developers so autismo?
It's a GNU thing. Try the BSDs instead.

>It clearly can
No, it can't. What that screencapture says is that you need to install a non-official patched version of grub in order to do it.

>something which removes both the welcome to grub message and other boot messages,

No it doesn't. You can keep the error messages without any problem.

You're welcome to skip bootloader and load kernel directly from EFI

My grub doesn't have this or at least I am not seing this at all.
I set the selectiontime to 1. When loading from SSD this thing is so fast, that it boots before I can see grub at all because it doesn't refresh the screen in this timeframe. The only way to see grub at all is to start the pc and smash for example the arrow down until grub shows up because I interrupted the selectiontimer.

There are two things open source developers are good at: Bikshedding so much that they end up reinventing the same program 30 times with very slight differences that still mange to be just large enough that they won't interoperate and refusing to take advice.

I'm tech illiterate, the post

IF you have a good efi on your motherboard, you literally don't need a bootloader at all

Welcome to GRUB my friend!

you know you can edit source, right?
github.com/coreos/grub/blob/2.02-coreos/grub-core/kern/main.c#L277

So? It's open source. Hide it yourself.

honk honk

Do you know that for sure?

Have you searched the mailing list and bug tracker for patches of this nature and/or responses from the maintainer?

If your search came up empty, did you contact the maintainer yourself with a patch?

And if you already did and the maintainer was slow to respond, have you considered that they are probably busy and no one else is as grumpy as you about a harmless boot message?

And so after going through all that trouble, then now can you seen why a distro developer just patching the software themself is a perfectly reasonable thing to do?

Use LILO instead nerds. Why anyone ever fell for the GRUB meme is beyond me.

Got'em.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ward_Cunningham#Cunningham's_Law

>developers
DEVELOPERS DEVELOPERS DEVELOPERS

Attached: 1546310500996.jpg (313x235, 9K)