>Example gaming builds; click on blue titles to see notes
pcpartpicker.com/user/pcbg/saved/
>How to assemble a PC
youtube.com/watch?v=69WFt6_dF8g

Want help?
>State the budget & CURRENCY
>Post at least some attempt at a parts list
>List your uses, e.g. Gaming, Video Editing, VM Work
>For monitors, include purpose (e.g., photo editing, gaming) and graphics card pairing (if applicable)

CPUs based on current pricing:
>Athlon 200GE - HTPC, web browsing, bare minimum gaming (can be OC'd on some MSI mobos)
>R3 2200G - Recommended minimum gaming
>R5 2600/X - Good gaming & multithreaded work use CPUs
>i7-9700k - Good for gaming
>R7 2700/X - Best high-end CPU on a non-HEDT platform
>Threadripper/Used Xeon - HEDT

RAM:
>Always choose at least a two stick kit; 2x 8GB is recommended
>CPUs benefit from high speed RAM; 3000CL15 or 3400CL16 is ideal
>All AMD chipsets and Intel Z chipsets support XMP

Graphics cards based on current pricing:
>Used cards can be had for a steal; inquire about warranty
1080p
>GTX 1060 6gb, RX 570, RX 580 for older or less demanding titles
>RTX 2060/GTX 1660ti High framerate 1080p gaming, beware of only 6gb of vram for longevity
1440p
>RTX 2060/GTX 1660ti Highish (60-100) framerate 1440p gaming, especially beware of only 6gb of vram at this resolution
>RTX 2080 if you're looking for very high (100+) framerate and you have a CPU and monitor to match
2160p (4k)
>RTX 2080
>RTX 2080 Ti is better, but very expensive

General:
>PLAN YOUR BUILD AROUND YOUR MONITOR IF GAMING
>A 256GB or larger SSD is almost mandatory; consider m.2 form factor
>Bottleneck checkers are worthless
>rentry.co/pcbg-more

Previous:

Attached: Technology.jpg (640x426, 48K)

Other urls found in this thread:

pcpartpicker.com/list/hX9MNQ
overclockers.com/3step-guide-to-overclock-intel-haswell/
amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00H9905KA
cnet.com/products/dell-optiplex-790-mt-core-i7-2600-3-4-ghz-4-gb-1-tb/
pcpartpicker.com/list/rMZhpG
hackaday.com/2017/12/11/what-you-need-to-know-about-the-intel-management-engine/
techcrunch.com/2018/11/05/crucial-samsung-solid-state-drives-busted-encryption/
techpowerup.com/209925/nsa-hides-spying-backdoors-into-hard-drive-firmware
amazon.com/27-Inch-Monitor-Samsung-FreeSync-GamePlus/dp/B078P57ZWL/ref=sr_1_3?keywords=144hz 1440p&qid=1551290545&s=gateway&sr=8-3
pcpartpicker.com/list/QygVzY
twitter.com/AnonBabble

>RTX 2060/GTX 1660ti Highish (60-100) framerate 1440p gaming
>60-100 framerate 1440p
*if you are fine with turning settings down a notch or 5 or mostly stick to older titles

Help a brainlet out

Attached: 1428645089777.png (673x625, 54K)

Reminder.

Attached: 1550676033367.jpg (2620x3416, 1.74M)

>2700/X best high-end
>3400 cl16 ram
>1660ti for 1440p
>6gb is not enough meme

Trash OP again

Its best to take literally everything out of the case before putting in the MoBo, always make sure the CPU cooler fits the case, and before screwing down the MoBo make sure the CPU cooler can either fit on afterwords or put the proper bracket on before hand. I generally think PSU should go after MoBo but its up to you.

1080ti still best 1440p high refresh rate card, OP is trash

I've got a nocutua d15 on my i7-4790k. What are the recommended voltages and multipler to overclock it?

Alrighty, I'll just pop the drives out since the cages are removable with the drives screwed into them so it's very simple to put back in anyways. Thanks.

>No ryzen is bristol based because bristol is bulldozer, APUs (anything with a g at the end) are raven based
So what the fuck is 2600?
And do I care for these bios updates?
Specifically I'm interested in the memory compatability since overclocking my RAM has been troublesome so far.

Attached: bios update.jpg (548x430, 38K)

>what the fuck is 2600?
Pinnacle Ridge.
Get latest BIOS if you want best memory compatibility.

Up to 1.25v is probably safe. It's generally recommended to keep them under 1.3v.
Check the temps during stress tests. Try keeping non avx prime95 under 80C

i3 8500 or 2600 non x?
Mostly for gayming

9400f

Is PBO overclocking using voltage offset worth on a 2600?
I have a static OC right now at 4GHZ, but the motherboard I have got a BIOS update that grants voltage offset which is usually key to get PBO overclocks to work decently.
So any point to it?

Who cares, you get irrelevant gains by oc'ing the 2600 anyways

Not sure because I got a 2600X so it just does it all automatically.
It supposedly gives the best results but takes more time and effort than a raw manual oc.

Pic related is my old system that's beginning to die. There is some urgency to buy a replacement system. Link is potential new system: pcpartpicker.com/list/hX9MNQ
I will probably reuse my old graphics card, monitor and HDDs to start with, and then buy upgrades to those in a few months when I can afford it. After that, I might install both graphics cards into the case, although I've never done that and my desk isn't big enough for three or four monitors.

Purpose is watching anime, using Photoshop and Lightroom, light gaming and flexing on my friends who are much bigger gamers than I am. Price range is not set, but I think what I've got planned out here is pretty expensive and will hurt to buy.

Any critiques?

Help a brainlet out : why are there overclocked RAM?
what is their purpose? How do I know if my processor/MoBo is compatible?

Attached: speccy.png (833x601, 45K)

Well the default 2600 runs from 3.4 to 3.9(single core).
Static OC nets me 4GHZ on all cores.
I'm asking what a 2600 could do with a PBO overclock using voltage offset.

someone clue me on certain ssd brands
I want a m.2 ssd, my mobo is h310m s2p
western digital is okay? they make some cheap stuff and it does feel like my mobo can't use nvme proper because of the x2

I could get a chinese one since all I want is a ssd, not a supercharged file transfer room heater. would asgard or kingspec be too low quality?

Go Samsung or go home.

Get a Netac if you want a decent chink SSD.

can I do 1.25 volts and put it at 5Gz?

Don't think so. Just try how much you can go with 1.25v first and adjust higher or lower depending on your temps.
It's a silicon lottery. Every chip has a different OC potential.

muh monies :<

netac? might bite the bullet soon then

any real issue with not having nvme protocol? we green is really cheap and one of the reasons I'm considering it is because without shipping, its pretty damm competitive

overclocked ram exists for faster performance

most overclocking focused motherboards come with features on the BIOS to overclock the memory speed or tune the timings

Basically check this guide if you're trying to OC your Haswell
overclockers.com/3step-guide-to-overclock-intel-haswell/

Sip g, what's the correct way of tackling dynamic overclock?
Is it ok to set turbo speeds, llc and vcore or should i mess with dynamic vcore?

Attached: IMG_20190227_163815.jpg (4128x2322, 1.1M)

Anyone want to help a ni/g/ger out? I posted in the last thread and didn't get a single bit of advice.

So I can't overclock a ram for a MoBo that supports 2400mhz max right?
It supports it only with 7th gen Intel

thanks btw why stress test without avx on prime95?

I've been out of PC component buying for 5 or six years. Does Seagate still make low quality hard drives? Do Hitachi (is it HGST now?) still make the best hard drives? What brands or models should I avoid if I don't want an unconfigurable, timed power down (for example, WD greens)?

>6700k still goes for 300€

redpill me on why I should wait for zen 2

2600 wont boost to 4.0 or 4.1 if I give it the best settings right? Only X chips boost that far, correct?
So pretty much no point in doing a PBO OC with voltage offset for 2600 since the static one nets more performance.

Hmm unless I care about lower idel voltages?

Seagate is fine now, average on reliability
HDDs have been falling out of favor though with the recent massive price drops for high capacity SSDs.
Other things to note: AMD is back, and unless you're drinking Intel branded koolaid, there's no reason to buy Intel.

because of the massive IPC gains.

7nm

higher latencies

Is the 4gb on a 570 going to hurt me much if I just play at 1080p/60hz?

I just plan to play FFXIV and other mmos mostly.

>thanks btw why stress test without avx on prime95?
It's really hot and it doesn't represent typical workload IMO. On my CPU stable Prime95 with AVX or OCCT needs something like 0.04v more (that's why new mobos just have an AXV offset).
Unless you know that you need it, there's no practical need to aim for a stability with it. I personally haven't encountered problems yet (gaming mostly and occasional Gentoo updates).

so i have the option of getting a 2060 or a 1080 for 50 dollars more. i know the 1080 outperforms the 2060 and has 8GB of VRAM but is there an argument to be made for turing over pascal?

first amd hardware that has fixed spectre

Let's say that I can afford an i7 9700K. Is there any advantage to getting an AMD processor?

for anything you would benefit from a higher thread count from. 9900K will apparently get beat by zen 2 as well.

Upgradeable to Zen 2 using the same B450/X399 mobo

I'm using CPU-Z to check the voltage and multiplers of my CPU cores. It runs from 1.296-1.331 voltages and all 4 cores seem to be running at 4398.97MHz (4.4GHz) on some load. I haven't overclocked it yet, is there any point in overclocking when it runs this high already?

For gaming, most likely not.
If you however value non gaming tasks then amd provides a better deal for the price.

What's the go-to PSU nowadays?

i7 9700k: 8 cores/8 threads
Ryzen 7 2700X: 8 cores, 16 threads

Performance between the 2 chips is actually really close, but the price gap is massive. AMD simply cannot be beat for bang for the buck.
Remember hearing rumors about soem AMD project called "Cen" that was gonna save them?
That launched as Ryzen, and it did save the company by pretty much slaying Intel and grabbing massive amounts of marketshare. AMD no longer falls flat on their face in single thread performance.

Here's a die shot of the first gen Ryzen chip released in 2017.

Attached: summit ridge die shot.jpg (2398x1053, 1.29M)

Probably. Usually CPUs can get away with less voltage that motherboards throw at then.
But in the end OC is more about the journey than the result. 10%-15% performance isn't that much, but tweaking stuff is kind of fun.

What mb should I chose to avoid m.2 bandwidth issues?

Do these things work?
amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00H9905KA
Obviously not this particular brand, but the concept in general.

>AMD no longer falls flat on their face in single thread performance.
But it does in latency, and core speed.
Which is why intel is still better for gaming.
While amd are better for moars cores and anything that needs it.

What processor?

Even then, the difference in gaming isn't massive.

Any 370 or 390 will be fine. I recommend MSI.

What's wrong with the rx 590?

runs hot

Ok thanks

It's just a RX 580 OC

At 1080p/60hz ain't nothin' gonna slow you down.

Ok good so my last question is is there that big of a difference between the rx 570 and 580?

Depends on resolution and GPU.
If you bottleneck the CPU with a GPU then sure, difference isn't massive. The lower resolution, the more powerful the GPU the more the CPU matters and the more intel cpus shine.
Which is why if you are playing on 60hz it doesn't really matter what you get and if you go for high refresh gaming 120hz and above, intel is the only real choice right now.

Its better to buy an rtx, amd gpus arent that good

10% performance

cnet.com/products/dell-optiplex-790-mt-core-i7-2600-3-4-ghz-4-gb-1-tb/

is it worth slapping a 1050ti in it

Is that worth it for the price difference?

If you're going to stick with 1080p/60hz I wouldn't bother.

You mean not bothering to get the 580, correct?

If so, which brand should I get because I'm looking at ebay and the most I'm finding are from MSI.

Are they ok?

as a former owner of a 2nd gen i7, yes.
but as soon as the mobo fails, you are out for a new computer.
also this one has 4 memory slots, you will need to upgrade it to 16gb

Get the MSI mk2 if you plan to make it last, or a sapphire one if you wanna go cheap. A GPU support is a good idea too.

Oh so MSI are the good ones? I thought the Sapphire brand were the good ones?

Is liquid cooling inherently better for a CPU, or are there any air coolers that can hold their own? (Looking at something like a Corsair Hydro H150i Pro 360mm for liquid or a Be Quiet Dark Rock 4 for air.)

If I have about 360mm of space on top of the case to work with, should I just get a 360mm radiator, or should I get a 240mm radiator and leave the extra 120mm open for a fan?

If I do liquid cooling on my CPU, do I give up the main mounting point for a radiator if I wanted to do liquid cooling on my GPU later?

Attached: 497814_676908_01_front_zoom.jpg (1000x1000, 57K)

What are some good cases that fit hold 6x 3.5" HDD's anymore? Last time I was shopping for cases (several years ago), ones that came with 6 mounts were easy to find. Now, it seems like everything I look at is designed for like 2 or 3 and when I search for an expansion cage, it's discontinued or nonexistent.

Why does everyone say gigabyte boards are trash? Is there something I should know about?

>Why does everyone say gigabyte boards are trash? Is there something I should know about?
They frequently have compatibility issues with ram among other things.
Majority of the time if someone is complaining about their mobo they're complaining about a gigabyte mobos.
But it's just there mobos mainly there other products like GPUs seem to be fine.
I think their mobo factory is just been poorly managed all these years.

Good to know. Thanks fren!

In which games you can notice an advantage of having a 9700k over a 2600/X or 2700/X?

Anybody know of a good monitor for this setup?

Attached: 2019-02-27_11-33-10.png (571x449, 29K)

See: I have a 6 year old Gigabyte motherboard that has had minor annoyances since day 1. A couple days ago, it refused to boot up, and I'm operating on the assumption that it's in the midst of dying.

Mobo's are cheap, right? Problem is, with 6 year old components, I can't just go to the store and get a new mobo with legacy LGA 1155 socket type, and why would I want one anyway? So I have to replace the CPU and RAM also, and while I'm at it, why the fuck wouldn't I replace everything else? Don't get me wrong, I would like to use this machine for another 4 years, but it's starting to show its age with newer, more demanding games, so it's probably about time to just replace it. It's a big, unexpected expense, all because the motherboard gave out.

>pcpartpicker.com/list/rMZhpG
is this build good enough to play modern games on medium-high settings without any stuttering?
how can i improve it?

Attached: 1550372818234.jpg (640x480, 37K)

Need cheap keyboard recommendations.

I've hooked my laptop up to a monitor and completely forgotten to buy a keyboard. I'm not a gamer so I don't need pulsating lights or other weird shit. Also no chink stuff because Sweden import taxes are brutal.

Daily reminder that Intel and Nvidia are heavily invested in manufacturing and R&D in Israel.
In addition to Meltdown and Spectre, Intel was also found to have a significant vulnerability in their ME.
>hackaday.com/2017/12/11/what-you-need-to-know-about-the-intel-management-engine/
As well as Samsung, Toshiba, SanDisk, HP, and numerous others.
Also, don't forget that a large number of Crucial and Samsung SSD's have completely (((broken))) encryption and easily penetrated.
>techcrunch.com/2018/11/05/crucial-samsung-solid-state-drives-busted-encryption/
WD and Seagate were also found to have backdoors to the NSA.
>techpowerup.com/209925/nsa-hides-spying-backdoors-into-hard-drive-firmware
Be safe anons

>Daily reminder that Intel and Nvidia are heavily invested in manufacturing and R&D in Israel.
>As well as Samsung, Toshiba, SanDisk, HP, and numerous others.

Correct order.

Go to a local shop and pick up a generic one.
Get the mk2 if youre gonna get an msi rx580 armor. It has a backplate and better cooling. Also swap out the niggabyte mobo.

whats wrong with WD green? it claims to have power saving features, i guess you mean i cant turn that off and it affects performance?

I don't know if it's changed in 5-6 years. I'm just saying last time I was shopping for HDDs, the issue was that the WD Green firmware involved the drives parking too frequently, which wore them out. With other WD drives, you could change that through firmware, but somehow the Greens couldn't be changed. Why do you want to save power anyway?

well i dont, its just a listed feature.
they are really cheap here if i disregard shipping, so i guess now i know why

amazon.com/27-Inch-Monitor-Samsung-FreeSync-GamePlus/dp/B078P57ZWL/ref=sr_1_3?keywords=144hz 1440p&qid=1551290545&s=gateway&sr=8-3

ANy good?

pcpartpicker.com/list/QygVzY
is this good enough? why swap out the mobo?

Which motherboard company is the meme? I want an msi but I'm hearing mixed reviews.

A couple dumb questions:

1. When a graphics card has four video outputs on the back (let's say, for the sake of argument, 1x HDMI, 3x Display Port), does that mean that I can plug in four monitors and expect the same performance as if I was only running one monitor? Or is there a performance sacrifice when running many monitors? If so, how do you know the max number of monitors a GPU will run comfortably?

2. I have seen systems running 2x video cards simultaneously. Why do people do this? Is there an advantage to both cards being the same brand, or the same model, or can you mix and match Nvidia and AMD without compatibility issues?

Attached: 1498426728462.jpg (2560x1707, 702K)

A video card has to render all 4 monitors, so yeah there is a performance impact, but it's probably going to be pretty small seeing games are what use your video cards power and you're going to be running games on one screen only. I've run 3 monitors off the same card no problem. Also ran two video cards before and had no problems with it

are you talking about sli?

pls be a bulge

Also, follow up question:

3. Is there any kind of advantage to using an AMD graphics card with an AMD CPU or should I not even worry about that?

>sli
Don't know what that is.

Attached: 1498431452996.jpg (1280x1920, 581K)

R5 2600 has been fine for me at 120+ frames at 1440p. Gpu always 99% (Vega 56).
Can get a 9900k beating chip for half the price in a couple months if you want 10 more frames in games