First year CS student here. Learning C to begin my career. Hope to be a full stack dev

First year CS student here. Learning C to begin my career. Hope to be a full stack dev.

What is the best way to learn how to write efficient code? Are there books I can read?

Attached: 9780201379501_p0_v1_s1200x630.jpg (504x630, 45K)

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/id-Software/DOOM-3-BFG
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

go to the book store, find the blackest dude in the store and tell him "The wind rises on the shoulders of the smallest old piece of farm equipment."

He will show you the way

Basically the only thing you can learn in general is the normal algorithm complexity stuff. Any machine specific or framework specific efficiency is stuff you will pick up on the job. As a jr dev this is the kind of thing code review is for.

>What is the best way to learn how to write efficient code?

You can't. You will need to touch several shitty codes and refactor it to develop skills

>Are there books I can read?

Try the Bible. Literally some codes can only be explained or work by divine intervention

The “Effective C++” books by Scott Meyers

If you started learn programming just now, when you study CS, this means only one - in best case you will end up another webdev code monkey.. In best case. In reality you will quickly realise programming is not for you, and you end up wagecucking with forklift in some warehouse

Holy fuck man that's funny but not cool

why would you learn c if your aim is to be a fullstack dev? that shit is either all javascript or javascript/c# or javascript/python or javascript/go and all of that is garbage collected

I found out other day some students on my grad, computer engineering, complaining that they didn't received formal training in Java in the end of 4th year and they don't know how to program and it's teacher failure

that's not uncommon for computer engineering students. sure they understand programming in theory but typically have little to no practical software development skills.

HH dubs. SIEG!

That's me, scrambling to learn C++ before I graduate in 2 months and start my job.

>C++
>Efficient
pick one.

Attached: saigiribleh.jpg (1280x720, 76K)

damn, you people on here truly have no idea wtf they talk about

look at all the vidya gaymez, faggot

C, Assembly, Python, C++, Rust is a decent path,

second only to Scheme, C, Standard ML, Haskell, Scala

Wait until you see math/physics people programming with no theory or practice

The fuck are colleges teaching if you're not learning c++
>scrambling to learn c++ in 2 months
I've got bad news for you

Probably Gender Coding.

> as part of the broader gender studies.

"C++? Never heard of it, I only use C."

Attached: DOnKVr2.jpg (1080x1331, 135K)

NAME ONE NIGGER

> full stack dev
> giving a shit about efficiency
pick one

no matter what you choose you're behind so many levels of abstraction any of your puny attempts at optimization are made null and void

-- Java -- virtual machine
-- C# -- virtual machine
-- NodeJS -- do i even need to?

the biggest gain in optimizing code are NOT algorithmic -- it's memory optimizing so that it gets in the L1/L2 cache and stays there because majority of the time CPU is idle waiting for memory

100% teacher failure. I learned more code in my spare time during my teens and early 20s than during my masters in CS. teachers are trash, training coding is a joke, all you can do is try and fail and try again while somehow not having less motivation than before, and you can't teach that process
the fucking crap we did in software architecture is a godlike waste of time, if all the 150+ students huddled together and did code reviews of each others projects drunk instead we would have learned more. I can guarantee this. The teachers arent even bad, it just seems the expectations of receiving formal theoretical fundamentals are completely incompatible with contemporary software development

github.com/id-Software/DOOM-3-BFG

can't believe "people" could be this retarded

99% of modern 3D gaymez are C++

>NAME ONE
literally every video game since the 2000s

checked em

Is C++ even good for getting a job outside of game dev?