Is the "Computing and learning more about it is FUN" time in anyone else's life over yet?

Is the "Computing and learning more about it is FUN" time in anyone else's life over yet?

From 15-23, I cared a lot about computers, hardware, programming and free software.

For the past several years, it seems everything is becoming locked down and pointless to care about anymore. I could never care about smartphones or apps and the garbage associated with mobile.

It feels like the magic of computers is gone, or maybe there was none in the first place.

Attached: 450px-Apple_iie.jpg (450x600, 65K)

I don't get excited for new technology anymore, but I still enjoy fiddling with old machines. Something about it just seems more personal.

I only have a flip phone. I have a laptop, which I control everything except the BIOS. I wish I had time to customize everything, but I have a job and school and never find the time.

it faded a little when it became a job, i rarely work on personal projects anymore but i still think the magic is there

You're absolutely right that tech is getting fucking worse, and there is really no excuse for it other than making good tech costs money - and retards don't even understand what good tech looks like.

There's still fun areas but you have to discover them. For example, I like programming digital guitar pedals and that's really a new frontier.

>be in high school
>discover computer programming
>"it would be cool to earn money by making games and other cool things"
>major in computer science
>spend 5 years surrounded by aspergery retards
>graduate
>10 years later
>getting paid to write spreadsheet macros and debug server-side applications

I think the magic comes from computers being a magic box. When you really learn how they work and really grasp what you're doing, the magic disappears

>When you really learn how they work and really grasp what you're doing, the magic disappears
I disagree. Getting right down into the guts and tinkering is the best part.

Attached: clockchip bypass.jpg (640x462, 95K)

the more layers of abstraction between me and whatever the computer is doing, the less interesting I find it.

I’m 23 and work in tech and I spend every day trying to learn new things. It’s up to you to make it magic. Build a Samba server, learn Blender, make a text-based game with Scheme.

Make it fun again.

programming some typical corporate tool that no one uses is the worst ever

it is your job to recapture the spark. clear your table and find the time after work.

I think software that requires a team or group of more then 3 people to develop is what takes the fun out of it. Basically if you're a programmer you have your way of programming and it's not fun to conform to a group standard. Back in the day you could write enterprise software with a tiny team and the project director was also the main programmer and not just a white collar fuck face. Can't do that any more.

You want magic?
Like ten years ago the last private computer recycling shop in town was shuttering public sales and I picked up an old working 540MB Maxtor drive as part of the fire sale because the blue "Total Customer Satisfaction" label reminded me of the one I had in my 486 PC as a kid.
I hook it up as part of a retro setup thinking I'd put a bunch of DOS games on it and relive some memories, and the spinup and seek sounds immediately trigger nostalgia because I heard that exact same series of clicks so many times way back.
As soon as I pull up a dir I find data still on it and realize the previous owner must have had similar tastes because I recognized a lot of software packages I used to use like QEMM, Desqview, Telix, Win31 and a bunch of classic games like Doom, QFG, XCOM, X-Wing, etc... Starting up Windows and seeing the program manager layout gave me a feeling of deja-vu until I opened Word 6.0, and that's the point at which I discovered documents with my name on them.

It came back user!

Once you learn about computers, you gotta use your knowledge to learn about the world. Go into chemistry, physics, etc. Think. Never stop thinking. Be independent, be idealistic. Think.

Attached: 1550895788289.png (550x1080, 795K)

That is so gay.

No, slurping cum and taking a dick in the ass is gay, learning and thinking isn't, although I guess it is to this board's regulars.

Dude, your writing style is so gay.

Your mom taught me

I just wish everything just werked without literal hours of debug.

Figures