V1.0.0, 19 February 2019

aomediacodec.github.io/av1-avif/

>v1.0.0, 19 February 2019

THIS KILLS THE WEBP GARBAGE

Attached: 1024px-AV1_logo_2018.svg.png (1024x568, 29K)

Other urls found in this thread:

wyohknott.github.io/image-formats-comparison/#abandonned-factory&webm=s&flif=s
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Where to download the encoder?

Maybe in 2 years.

I think they're talking about the release date, not the encoding time.

based

my hardware is 11 years old and i don't plan to upgrade just because some nerds decided jpeg isn't good enough

Hopefully we'll soon get some representative FLIF vs. AVIF comparisons.

never even heard of webp

Attached: 1548097341762.jpg (356x600, 24K)

Can't wait to replace my entire anime library with AV1
Same with FLIF

Attached: SoRS1UBn4Vw.jpg (720x960, 95K)

>THIS KILLS THE WEBP GARBAGE
There is no need to kill what was already dead before birth.

>not supported by hiro
like vp9

>(((Tel Avif)))
thanks but no

> It has been 9 days since release already and nobody uses avif
Is it doomed?

lel

webp was killed in its infancy when the retards refused categorically about splitting the format into lossless-strict and lossy-strict because "why would you do that?"
all you had to do was make sure you're keeping the "png vs jpg" balance intact and you could have had your cake and eaten it, but no, gotta be pragmatic idiots and have your format never used outside of things you own and force it into, while people geared up to convert it back to png because nobody is supporting it

All they had to do was having webp and webl and build the fucking format around those two

By this logic then AVIF is DOA.

RIP then
it's not like the same dynamics aren't going to apply to this format because webp was pushed by google and this isn't
fucking mathematicians

i don't think toasters will have problems with aivf. they will have problems decoding video, though.

What about flif?

I haven't seen this complaint once outside Jow Forums and even here it's probably just the same one or two guys compalining in every WebP related thread.

I come here like once every 4 months and find myself in an image format thread (2 right now, actually) and repeat the same talking point every time
if it's on every thread, then I'm not alone, and I guess there's people that understand the issue, thank god

> it's probably just the same one or two guys compalining in every WebP related thread
That is possible. Are they wrong though?

It makes a good bit of sense to me that plebs never understood the intricate details. In one way or another, you just need to simplify it to "this is best" and "this is worse but has smaller file size", no?

What issue? Websites don't care about lossless WebP to begin with and splitting the format into one strictly lossy and one strictly lossless doesn't provide any information to the end user, besides how the last person encoded the image.

>and splitting the format into one strictly lossy and one strictly lossless doesn't provide any information
every time I get the same response and it disappoints me every single fucking time

Attached: 1436105427013.jpg (399x464, 52K)

I don't see how these new formats are going to take off unless ever major site starts forcing them. What's their plan?

idiot

>besides how the last person encoded the image.

Attached: 1551351894714.png (399x464, 190K)

Why have you not joined the AV1 and AVIF master race, Jow Forums?

I am not one person.

Flif is better than avif tbqhwyf

>THIS KILLS THE WEBP GARBAGE
WebP is the best image codec for LOSSLESS compression (size compression/decompression time), AVIF is poised to be the best image codec for LOSSY compression.

WebP is the best substitute for PNG, AVIF may be the best substitute for JPEG.

Interesting

What about flif

FLIF shits on AVIF both lossless and lossy

AVIF but no future support

Any source other than your ass?

wyohknott.github.io/image-formats-comparison/#abandonned-factory&webm=s&flif=s

Lol AVIF looks like ass.

wat? av1 2018 shits on both - FLIF and JPEG XR

To be fair, the comparison is kinda unfair. If you look at the full report, you'll stumble across this information
>Each Y4M image is exported to 4:2:0 PNG, YUV and PPM files with FFMPEG:
>ffmpeg -loglevel quiet -y -i [input] -pix_fmt yuv420p [output]
which isn't possible, as PNG and PPM don't support yuv420p. The ffmpeg command would even show a warning ("Incompatible pixel format 'yuv420p' for codec 'png', auto-selecting format 'rgb24'"), if not for the usage of -loglevel quiet.
So in the end he used yuv420p input for all the video formats (AV1, VP9, Daala) and rgb24 input for all the image formats (which is also why the video formats dominate the lossless comparison).

no point for web shit so not a high priority
it's for archive like flac

it's a 'one guy' project and not backed by google so it prob will remain fringe

>Warning

>This specification is still at draft stage and should not be referenced other than as a working draft.

HMMM...

Well, they just released v1.0.0. They are only waiting for board approval now.

AV1 cannot be played in browsers lol

Underrated

Yes, it can. Some browser even use dav1d instead of libaom for decoding.