Is python the perfect language?

Is python the perfect language?

Attached: opengraph-icon-200x200.png (200x200, 8K)

What's a language?

It is a way to encode computer programs.

all these interpreted languages are "perfect", until you inevitably have to call native platform dependent code.

What's a computer?

>not using assembly to code

Never gonna make it.

lol faget its called abstraction
no one gives a fuck about native cucks writing our shim layers while we fuck their pajeet families

test

requesting translation

Attached: a33.png (558x614, 32K)

an interpreter that doesn't show you the column of your mistake.
can't write multiline script with for loop not in the first line as a -c parameter.
keeping two version of the same language at the same time.
losing the old print command.
mumbo jumbo mixture of past present and future compensation modules (which means bad hack-y engineering).
can't use empty lines in indentations in the interpreter.
pip has no offline documentation about the -U / --upgrade flag or an option to upgrade all apps.
end of benevolent dictator model for a mass bolshevik tear-it-down revolution model.
tried to get in touch with a module manager but got no response. online search tells he is an asshole. Guide is gone linux hackers are gone only script kiddiez and lephties are infesting it now.
has weird constricted data types.

python is rly bad cuz it fails when it encounters unexpected whitespace

i believe that it has a lot of future....

what is jeopardy

What do you mean? I'm not even black

>unexpected
It tells you exactly where you fucked up.
ggVG=
... and vim automatically indents everything for you since you're too dumb.

>an interpreter that doesn't show you the column of your mistake.
If this exists I'm learning to code. Nothing makes me more angry than making a coding mistake and the encoder doesn't tell me where.

It's easy and gets out of your way.
CPython fucking blows though -- had like a fucking 5x speed increase just by switching to PyPy.

I use it for small scripts. tried flask and django multiple times for web apps, but frankly, I enjoy PHP + symfony more for that purpose desu

> other people do the work for me
> therefore the work does not exist

The subset of a set of symbols consisting of words. The words can be grouped into expressions according to pre-determined grammar.

A very pratical and simple language, I would say

C is the perfect language

no, but J is

Python is good because it is general purpose and widely deployed in many contexts (science, data analysis, machine learning, web development, automation), has a ton of good libraries and simple syntax that makes it easy to learn and use.

That being said, it’s not necessarily the best language for any one scenario and what it wins in ease of use it suffers in speed. It’s high-level, so you of course won’t be doing anything too close to the hardware. Depends on what your ends are. It’s a good language to learn as a beginner because it’s easy and can be used for many things which means it’ll get you writing code quickly. If it excels in any area it’s as a scripting language for none-developer people like systems or networking guys looking to automate some tasks.

I think a lot of the hype/praise is a result of an echo chamber around the large crowd of new people learning code and preaching about the gospel of their first language being “the best ever”, and the badmouthing/backlash comes from people who recognize that Python is not necessarily *the best* at anything.

Pragmatically speaking, it’s a good language insofar as you can built stuff that works.

I'll take the bait. Python is good for many things but it's slow as shit.

yes and no.
Python is still has many problem but mostly comes from the conflicts between libraries and shit.

> needing both mistake line and column

Definitely never gonna make it.

Can't even catch wrong spelt vars at compile time.

Wasn't there talk of how today the time a programmer spends programming is much more expensive than the hardware that runs the programs? Computers are generally very fast today so it does not pay to have a programmer do low level programming or optimize code to hell because the difference in speed would - for most applications - be negligible to undetectable? I'm not saying it's always the case; there are many cases where optimization still reigns supreme. But if a simple program executes in 0.2s compared to 0.002 seconds - who would notice or care?

Python is pretty good. Been programming professionally for over a decade, have experience with everything from C++ to javascript.

I still consistently can get shit done faster in python than any other language, even though its not the language I have the most experience in.

Performance and lack of real multithreading is a huge deal though.

I've tried Julia, and its promising, but they still need to sort out package management, precompilation times and a few other big issues before its ready for anything serious. Swift also looks promising as a general purpose language, but it feels like a meme as of now.

Nim looks amazing, but it has such a small community around it, its a little risky to do anything serious with it.

That argument is flawed on so many ends so it must be bait I don't even care to answer.

Python is neat, but if there is one thing Python has NOT sorted out, it's package management.

>have begin/end instead of curly brackets
>have to keep 2 versions of interpretator installed becausr of broken base
no

No, there's no perfect language but Python is the best glue thanks to it's libraries.

performance matters for most things that arent trival

Any Python killer needs built-in native GUI that isnt dogshit.

native GUI is OS dependent punk

No.
t. Programmed in python since I was 10

Yes.
t. Programmed in python since I was 8

That performance quickly becomes important important in communication between modules and data analysis/editing.

That's a tautology you dumbass.

No it's Java

ggG=
Does the same

lurk more newfag

>an interpreter that doesn't show you the column of your mistake.
why would it?
>can't write multiline script with for loop not in the first line as a -c parameter.
why would it?
>keeping two version of the same language at the same time.
i will cease to exist soon
>losing the old print command.
so?
>mumbo jumbo mixture of past present and future compensation modules (which means bad hack-y engineering).
???
>can't use empty lines in indentations in the interpreter.
so?
>pip has no offline documentation about the -U / --upgrade flag or an option to upgrade all apps.
why would it?
>end of benevolent dictator model for a mass bolshevik tear-it-down revolution model.
???
>tried to get in touch with a module manager but got no response. online search tells he is an asshole. Guide is gone linux hackers are gone only script kiddiez and lephties are infesting it now.
???
>has weird constricted data types.
???

it will cease*, not me ;-)

Nothing except perfect cell is perfect.

Yes, Python3 is very decent, fixed all 2.x warts and inconsistent semantics

The only problem is is plagued by slav degenerates who think they are smart and spreading that spread async cancer

Pretty great language, obviously not perfect though
>Whitespace issues
>2.7 or 3.6 bro?
>Threading issues
>muh packages!!!!
That being said it's my most used language. I find it super cool how widespread python usage is. I work at a large high performance networking company, and although all the mission critical parts of our OS are written in C, a fuckton of our OS code is actually written in python (any sort of text manip stuff, think of shell functions such as "ls" etc). And on the other hand, my chemical engineering friend is using python scripts for data analysis. Pretty fun language imho

Haskell, it has static typing and purity

>threading issues
This actually pisses me off so much. Getting multiprocessing working correctly should be much easier than it is currently.

This depends heavily on what your doing.
For IO bound applications, sure.
For CPU bound ones, no way in hell. However, you usually cheat here by using an optimized library anyway. So it can be fine if you minimize the amount of work done by the interpreter.

Multiprocessing is pretty easy. Really all of the standard libraries for concurrency are straight forward.

>async cancer
Why is a more efficient concurrency model cancer? Async is much nicer than having to put locks everywhere so your threads don't clobber each other.

Yes you absolute faggots.

Attached: 1497630692511.png (1024x1097, 602K)

No.

>> other people do the work for me
>> therefore the work does not exist
Yeah, pretty much

Too slow to make video games in

>keeping two version of the same language at the same time.
I can have 20 versions of gcc installed, not sure how this is a bad thing.
>losing the old print command.
No functionality was lost.
>mumbo jumbo mixture of past present and future compensation modules (which means bad hack-y engineering).
Look, we get it, transitioning from 2 to 3 was tricky, but you're taking this one point and writing different versions of it like they're different issues.
>pip has no offline documentation about the -U / --upgrade flag or an option to upgrade all apps.
Huge problem, I agree. Even brew is a better package manager.

What a cunt.
>valid issue with Python
>"So? Why would this issue not exist?"
Answering all variations of "so"/"why would it", because it would be better. You don't have to pretend like pip having an --upgrade -all flag wouldn't be a good thing.

it is very comfy but not perfect.

Attached: .png (680x692, 371K)

Python has the worst conflicting dependency problem of any language

when speed doesn't matter and you just want to write something quickly that does something tedious, its very cozy desu.
T. someone who uses python mainly for his media

Based.

Similarly to C++, Python is a jack of all trades and master of none.
I don't think there is a single thing Python does that is absolutely, 100% better than any other language. But Python can do many of them reasonably well.

It's much more likely that you don't actually know how to answer, let's be honest.