Network Rack

I can't find a guide for network rack set up business anywhere. We have a small office. Around eight 24-port patch panels, five 48-port switches and three routers. And I can't find a nice standard way to organize them in the rack.

Where can I find some examples, Jow Forums?

Pic related is my current set up.

Attached: file.png (717x674, 20K)

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Structured_cabling
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Back to plebbit.

>the absolute state of Jow Forums

shit layout
router on top, then switches, then patch panels
Reason being the spaghetti wont then hang over the routes making them hard to access or replace when your isp is retardet. also you usually want the most weight down low. hundreds of cables in weight adds up quick

Why so many patch pannels if your switches will be in the same cabinet right below?

shameful bump

The building is three 4 storeys.

This sounds good. Thanks, user.

One 24 port patch panel
A 48 port switch
A gap to fire in a replacement or an upgrade quickly
One 24 port patch panel
Repeat 4x

Buy foot long patch cables or shorter

Routers on the bottom

Not recommended to run all cabling in the building to one LAN closet. Vertical runs should be fibre. Should have a LAN closet on each floor and fibre interconnecting them.

Don't listen to that retard. Wire's come in through the top means patch panel goes on top so less shit in back covering fans. Then the switch's go right under and then the router.

you're a headass.
All your in feeds should be done perfectly to form one large cylinder of wire along the left rear corner of the rack, then branch off and come forward and then across the back of the patchpanel. there is no excuse for spaghetti behind a patchpanel

>Should have a LAN closet on each floor and fibre interconnecting them.
I have learned so much already. Thanks, anons.

Do you have any document or a book that explains stuff like this?

Since you guys helped me out, I'll let out a little secret. I am the Head of It of a company. People think I am a wizard or something.

Attached: 1397661104372.jpg (355x440, 130K)

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Structured_cabling
Follow the sauces at the bottom after reading the article
Same

Buy the BICSI standards. It's a LOT of reading.

DESU the design of cabling work should be done by someone who specializes in it. Some of the bigger electrical contractors in your area can help you. It's kind of a construction activity and a big deal to run cable in a building. Lots of fire code/building code shit.

Although as the IT person you need to know what you want (ie put x ethernet runs here, i want x fibre strands, i want singlemode/multimode etc) and you need to know the standards so you can tell if the contractors are trying to pull fast ones on you.

>Should have a LAN closet on each floor and fibre interconnecting them.
OP here. I want to thank you again, user. This is smart as fuck.

Yeah you should have your patch pannels for sockets on that floor/building or a row of cabinets. You then link all the switches back to your core cabinet (you could also easy chain link the switches but that is dependent on your workload.)

Not him but
>label each rack RXX, with XX being the storey number
>use uppercase letters for underground
>append lowercase letters if multiple racks per storey, using just a for storeys with one rack if others have many
>label the patch panel in each storey rack PYY or similar, with YY being the patch panel number, from 1 onwards
>label the wall jack and the end of the cable just inside the jack with RXX-PYY-JZZ or similar, with XX being the storey number, YY being the patch panel number inside the storey, ZZ being the jack number inside the patch panel, from 1 to 24
>label your switches RXX-SWW with WW being the switch number

>in short, label EVERYTHING
And of course populate a Racktables instance, make an Access/Base database, or an Excel/Calc datasheet with all that and room per jack, but don't lose track of it

It depends on the type of switches used (mostly how do they move air) and number of racks etc and patch panel density etc etc.
These are no simple answers. I'd need the details to provide you with more direction, but here is a basic layout.
>top 50% is patch panels
>bottom 50% is network gear
In that setup you can patch everything with just 3 and 5 foot patch cables.

Attached: 1550712919657.jpg (1230x854, 153K)

>the manly cables go on top
>the switches into which they are plugged in go bottom
that's sexist desu

Most "small office" racks go down the middle not off to the side. And even if it did it still makes patch|switch|router the better order. The wires from outside the case go to the patch panel first therefore the patch panel should be first in the order. The patch panel hooks into the switch therefore the switch is next and then the router. You have it completely backwards unless your racks have cables coming in from the bottom.

See

>DESU the design of cabling work should be done by someone who specializes in it
Doesn't exist where I live.

lol wut

THANKS user

Try living in a shit hole. We also don't have building codes :^)

>Buy the BICSI standards
Anyone here got the PDF?