Use Linux they said

>Use Linux they said
>Software freedom is more important than productivity they said

Attached: DyrHdV3WsAAAV_p.jpg (1080x691, 54K)

Linux is a kernel, it would be hard to be productive with it as you typically need an OS on top of it and applications.

Also, if you want to live in a free society, it is your responsibility to ask what the purpose of your productivity is. If the purpose is to remove freedoms, whether it be via nonfree software, or by some other tyrannical means, then you might consider that type of productivity to be irresponsible and wrong.

Attached: 1505407858369.jpg (329x329, 33K)

Please do not post this meme. It is offensive to the current US president.

>Linux is a kernel
IDK if this is just trolling anymore or a legitimate form of deflection and coping but really everyone knows what the fuck it means when someone says they use Linux

Yes, I know what it means too, it means they use a kernel. Fortunately you can run a full OS and applications on top of that kernel.

Basic productivity and programming in Linux are as good as, if not better than they are on Windows/OSX
Shut the fuck up, you're making us look bad.

Nigger just shut fuck up

No, what you mean is I am making YOU look bad, because you are purposefully pushing a misnomer to try and confuse people.

I will when you stop confusing a kernel for an OS

Convince me this isn't the freetard version of "muh pronouns"

hnnnrg must not feed the troLANGUAGE IS DESCRIPTIVE NOT PERSCRIPTIVE YOU RAGING MORON. YOU ABSOLUTE BUFFOON. YOU COWABUNGA DUMBASS.

gender is a spook

Do you live under a rock? We've had a new president since 2016

What are you talking about

Linux is an OS and a kernel.

It's not because we aren't talking about a person who wants to be referred to in a specific way. We are talking about a kernel which is already named Linux and has had that name for 28 years.

I agree. The confusion stems from a group of IBM salesmen who took the name and tried to use it to refer to other things in order to sell products. They were successful and the deception stuck, but that does not mean we should accept it.

Are you sure about that?

>as you typically need an OS on top of it
>you can run a full OS and applications on top of that kernel.
GNU is not an operating system. An operating system makes software talk to hardware. GNU doesn't do any of that. You don't run an operating system on top of a kernel since the kernel is the most important part of an operating system. You have to remember to mention Linux whenever you are talking about GNU as an operating system.

Attached: OS-structure2.png (1499x383, 59K)

GNU has a kernel, it's called HURD. You can use the full GNU OS right now, although it is lacking in features, so obviously it might make more sense to combine it with a different kernel such as Linux.

And GNU without Hurd is not an operating system.

based

Attached: kampeki 2.jpg (423x613, 63K)

Correct, that's why the name GNU/Linux is often used, although I also find that to be confusing and prefer to just say Debian or Fedora or Arch or whatever.

GNU with Linux is an operating system just like GNU with Hurd is an operating system.

Linux is not an operating system. Neither is hurd an operating system. Both are kernels.

Unless you're using Hurd you have to mention Linux whenever you want to talk about GNU as an operating system instead of a project. It's not an operating system without Linux or Hurd. If you're using Hurd then you can call it just GNU, but Linux is not a subproject of GNU. You need to say GNU/Linux, GNU+Linux or Linux+GNU to also give credit to the most important part of an operating system, the kernel.

hey faggot, GNU is a userland, not an OS, now shut the fuck up

Aside from office software (and actually libreoffice works fine, it's just compat with ms office that's the problem), I find that Linux is generally easier to do things in than Windows.

Linux isn't about software freedom. It never was and Linus made this really clear multiple times.

>In some ways, Linux was the project that really made the split clear between what the FSF is pushing which is very different from what open source and Linux has always been about which is more of a technical superiority instead of a — this religious belief in freedom.
>Linus

>I may make jokes about Microsoft at times, but at the same time, I think the Microsoft hatred is a disease. I believe in open development, and that very much involves not just making the source open, but also not shutting other people and companies out. There are 'extremists' in the free software world, but that's one major reason why I don't call what I do 'free software' any more. I don't want to be associated with the people for whom it's about exclusion and hatred.
>Linus

Attached: 1548287551619.png (720x2804, 359K)

Hey freetards,
what should industrial designers, engineers, visual artists, musicians and graphic designers do?

Attached: 01BenZoeller50watts_1000.jpg (1000x1000, 105K)

looks like...

Attached: Aphex-Twin-Windowlicker.jpg (1200x720, 590K)

We're achieving levels of autism that should not be physically possible.

This.

Just as a small child can operate a tricycle better than (say) a 747-400.

But GNU Hurd is part of GNU. GNU is an OS by itself