Spend several hours at the computer every day

>spend several hours at the computer every day
>always get light-headed and dizzy after staring at my monitor for too long
>eyes hurt, text looks fuzzy, bright colors hurt to look at
>think it's because my monitor is too bright, turn down brightness
>doesn't help
>one day learn about PWM dimming and how it causes your screen to flicker
>do some research and find a monitor that doesn't use PWM to dim the screen, buy it
>suddenly don't get dizzy anymore
>can stare at my monitor for literally 18 hours straight without feeling any fatigue

why did no one tell me about this sooner?? i've been killing my eyes for years thinking it's normal for computer screens to be a pain to look at. what the hell

Attached: 1551283656809.jpg (180x157, 10K)

>look up monitor
>it's flicker safe
noice

Attached: Correction+cartoons+with+little+girls+_e9f8c51154d8d3c247fe5a1b74fb8fc8.jpg (798x809, 48K)

get rid of fluorescent lights too, they are nasty

You probably had a defective monitor, even ones with 240Hz PWM don't cause any kinds of problems if brightness is at 50% or higher.

You were using a CRT monitor, weren't you, OP?

CRTs don't use PWM to control brightness, so no, they wouldn't be.

>using a 2nd year electrical engineering concept to control brightness on a sensitive device

Whoever designed your monitor should be hanged

no a hp lcd

Absolute majority of monitors use it.

i only have one over the kitchen sink

Yeah, low-frequency backlight PWM is bullshit. I don't have a severe reaction to it like you, OP, but it's distracting when you rapidly move your eyes across the screen and it makes my eyes tire more quickly. With LED backlights PWM is a low more noticeable than with old CCFL backlight screens. All ThinkPads with an LED backlight have it, I think, but at least you can tune the frequency. When I set mine to over 500 Hz it became a whole lot nicer to use.

PWM is one of the reasons I don't welcome AMOLED screens. So far nearly all of them have had 240 Hz PWM.

Are you sure you don't need glasses kek this sounds like how I used to be before getting them.

I've been looking at a monitor at least half a day for the past 10 years and never had any issue.

What kind of stupid logic is that??
>its simpel
>cweator shuwd die

Same. I can browse for 9999 hours no issues.
3D games on the other hand will destroy my eyes in less than 30 minutes and no, this isn't a blue light problem. Really need to stop playing games.

IPS, led backlight, no PWM (or only there in uselessly low brightness, then you stay above the pwm point).

That's the way to go.

IPS, CCFL backlight, no PWM
FTFY

>CCFL
There's literally nothing they offer over LED backlight.
CCFL do not last as long, do have implicit blinking, are less power efficient, and make the monitor way thicker and clunkier.

>There's literally nothing they offer over LED backlight.
No blue light cancer isn't enough of an advantage?
>CCFL do not last as long
There are CCFL monitors with 25k+ hours doing just fine out there. I'd love to see an LED monitor do that.
>do have implicit blinking
The phosphor persistance inherent to the tube coating effectively removes backlight flicker, at least in good monitors
>are less power efficient
You're right on that one. Though I think it's an acceptable tradeoff
>and make the monitor way thicker and clunkier
And why would you care about those things when using a desktop monitor?

>No blue light cancer isn't enough of an advantage?
A very wide spectrum in the source of light is necessary for being able to produce a wide gamut of colors on the IPS layer.
No "blue light cancer" nonsense. The colors you get are within visible range, and if you want to restrict the color space, you can do it either on your computer or on the display's own postprocessing.

and if you want to restrict the color space, you can do it either on your computer or on the display's own postprocessing.
Imagine being so stupid you think the color filters on your monitor are narrowband enough to remove harmful blue wavelengths without causing degradation to the overall color balance of the picture.
>yeah, I like my monitor looking like piss just so it can be thinner and use 10W less
That's how you sound like

You can't get the wide gamut otherwise, moron.

>i've been killing my eyes for years thinking it's normal for computer screens to be a pain to look at. what the hell
Its good you found out why but why would you think that? I had problems when I first started using a computer but adjusting gamma/brightness/profiles fixed it for me. If your eyes ever feel strained (not completely relaxed) you need to adjust brightness, font size, and colors. You should probably do those anyway.

>hp
There's your problem.

It's simple and it's also shit for this specific application. So it's irresponsible and lazy for a designer/engineer to use it instead of coming up with a solution that's better suited for the application.

f.lux is a great program if you're not too scared about being spied on too help your eyes

>3D games on the other hand will destroy my eyes in less than 30 minutes and no
get 240hz

I have a 144hz screen right now. What's the reasoning behind your advice if you don't mind?

Simple does not mean good.
In this case it's a simple and horrid solution that shouldn't be used period.