Easy FreeBSD Setup

Like many of you, I've been using Linux for years, but recently, I finally decided it was time to make a change. I switched to FreeBSD. "Why?" you may ask. I did it because I needed a change, and to further improve my *nix skills. Starting fresh with FreeBSD with my previous knowledge of Linux was interesting to say the least. I think my favorite part of FreeBSD is jails. FreeBSD is similar enough to Linux that I didn't have to change my workflow too much, but this was a huge help for me during the growing pains of getting to know and learn it. gitlab.com/wiredlace/freebsd-setup This project has eased me into FreeBSD into a much more manageable manner, and taught me some new things and showed me better alternatives along the way. It's fully configured to work with Suckless and Fish out of the box, and is very customizable (and riceable with premade aesthetic rices based on different color schemes, with a focus on darker themes). If you have an interest in FreeBSD, or already use it, I recommend that you give this project a try.

Attached: unknown.png (2560x1080, 71K)

Other urls found in this thread:

hardenedbsd.org/article/shawn-webb/2018-04-30/hardenedbsd-switching-back-openssl
freebsd.org/internal/code-of-conduct.html
discord.gg/BPxUHXj
dragonflybsd.org/features/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Based.

Nice blog post tripfag

Thank you user, I hope you give FreeBSD a chance.

Trips tell the truth

tripfags should an hero. Also nice cuckOS.

It won't work on my Toshiba laptop without the Intel drivers. Next time.

???

>it didn't work out of the box
>it DoeSnT WoRk BSD bAd
Mfw pkg install xf86-video-intel and done

I hate having to use shit from drm-next. When will this shit be upstreamed/merged into /usr/src/?

Sexy theme.

I was about to try slackware why should I use this instead?

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called "Linux", and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called "Linux" distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.

Attached: 1457072625489.jpg (480x640, 65K)

How well do applications like kdenlive or GIMP run on freeBSD? I did some research a while back and it seems like I can configure an audio management and production environment in it with a bit of work (Ardour, JACK, etc), which is my main concern, but I'm still worried about the performance and availability of other applications.

Your needs are subjective, as are mine. What I will pose is this:

- Unlike the thousands of Linux distributions offers, FreeBSD isn't fragmented in terms of that - you'd install FreeBSD then your preferred desktop environment or window manager of choice; saving the endless amount of hours trying to find the "right" Linux distro.

- The userland space is more sane and cleaner. This might not effect you or be of concern but all of the core system utilities are kept within /bin - everything else is kept in /usr/local/bin - do a simple ls in the /bin directory of a Linux distro and you'll get hundreds of results. Repeat the same and you'll get around 20, 30 max.

- the /rescue directory, say you mess up your /bin directory (that contains the utils needed to function) you can boot into single user mode, and have the necessary tools in /rescue to get the system up again.

- Jails. I personally use this to segregate my development environments, having jails tailored towards specific tasks so they don't touch my host system - out of the box, native, and ready to go.

There's a plethora I could list. But that's for you to find out, FreeBSD is fantastic especially in a production server environment and as your daily driver. Check it out.

GIMP runs natively without any issue. Not sure about kdenlive as I don't use it - you can use the freshports website to browse the repositories (seems to be down currently, though). Performance is fine, too, not that you'd probably notice anything. Take into account that if you're using ZFS it generally is more resource intensive then for say UFS - that's the tradeoff you make, however.

Forget to mention but definitely worth me bringing it up: the FreeBSD handbook. Overall the documentation for FreeBSD is great and covers a lot of areas, it's a centralised documentation where its been refined for more than a decade now.

I tried it the other day but performance was pretty bad compared to Arch on my computer so I just went back. It also used an obscene amount of RAM while doing nothing (more than 300mb after logging into the tty and nothing else. It wasn't even using zfs either it was just ufs). Maybe it didn't like my particular hardware and it wasn't supposed to work like that I don't know.

It was super easy to install and set up though so that was nice.

>not using NetBSD
OP sucks dogs for quarters

>not using HardenedBSD
Enjoy your security holes

Looking for something simple, light, and stable. Sounds like it might fit that. I’ll look into it more

Can't say I've ran into this before. Admittedly I have a laptop that runs FreeBSD (with zfs too) within virtualbox (technically, this laptop isn't mine so can't willingly wipe it). Performance overall was great despite the hindrance of virtualbox. Hard to really pinpoint what the potential issue was but yeah, odd.

If I wanted security I'd use OpenBSD. I use FreeBSD in production and never had any issues. Whilst there isn't as many exploit mitigations it's still generally a secure OS. Though, making the comparison between OpenBSD and FreeBSD isn't really fair - the purpose and audience of them differ.

NetBSD doesn't offer jails nor ZFS. So, it's not a viable option for some.

fat

I said HardenedBSD, retard.

kevin, can you give your linux discord invite link?
im bored
-- a guy from #hs

*hugs you*

My FreeBSD exposure came from using FreeNas. I agree with you on the jail functionality being the best part about BSD. Most linux packages are already ported.

Attached: screenshot.3.png (438x223, 2K)

>HardenedBSD Switching Back to OpenSSL
hardenedbsd.org/article/shawn-webb/2018-04-30/hardenedbsd-switching-back-openssl

>secure

freebsd.org/internal/code-of-conduct.html
Sorry, but I'm too heterosexual for FreeBSD.

Linux has its own CoC too now.

Attached: 1538183866298.png (1600x1066, 2.12M)

discord.gg/BPxUHXj

>not OpenBSD

Why do people like you keep bringing up openbsd whenever freebsd is mentioned? Clearly you've used neither
>WhY aRenT yOu uSinG oPenBSD

The BSDs are pretty cool dudes.

I'm downloading project trident for a vm right now.

My point being HardenedBSD and FreeBSD have different audiences, comparing them with each other is a false equivalency seeing as HardenedBSD aims to be security oriented - much like OpenBSD. You suggesting we use it because FreeBSD has "security holes" (I'd like you to name these too) when it was never posed to be security oriented is dumb. FreeBSD is fine as-is.

but I already used freebsd hundreds of times over the years and it's a really good OS. stable, minimal, and easy to use but I always come across driver issues. it would work flawlessly but since I have an alps touchpad I'm basically fucked since there's no support at all.

Fuck off with this cuck shit

Attached: cuck.jpg (812x686, 150K)

I tried using dragonfly bsd but I had trouble installing it.

slackware will literally install adwaita icons even if you dont need X

not him but some packages require the adwaita or hicolor icon theme to even function properly. you can still remove them during the install

install CRUX

yeah but if you want to use slackware in a server role you'll NEVER need that

i said this before but patrick should really think about splitting the package sets further. have the libraries for X progrsms in a xl set or something.

ITT Jow Forumsfags that know nothing about technology being triggered by shit that doesn't concern them

Have fun being Microcucked

*hugs*

Thanks dude, even if you are a tripfag

>BSD

Attached: unimpressed.jpg (851x478, 104K)

Footprint mismatch errors, broken packages. Let it die already punpun

But the real question is, how can I get a system that is as easily usable as, say Ubuntu, OOTB as well as install NVIDIA drivers with ease?

That would be neat and encourage the use of suckless software.

Where is this from? This can't be real

>- Unlike the thousands of Linux distributions offers, FreeBSD isn't fragmented in terms of that
Irrelevant since a handful of distros covers 99% of people's needs
>- The userland space is more sane and cleaner. This might not effect you or be of concern but all of the core system utilities are kept within /bin - everything else is kept in /usr/local/bin - do a simple ls in the /bin directory of a Linux distro and you'll get hundreds of results. Repeat the same and you'll get around 20, 30 max.
Also irrelevant unless you ls /bin and /usr/bin all day. Looks like the equivalent of Cinebench for unixfags
>- the /rescue directory, say you mess up your /bin directory (that contains the utils needed to function) you can boot into single user mode, and have the necessary tools in /rescue to get the system up again.
Might be dangerous if you suspect your system has been compromised. Also irrelevant because you probably have bootable media at hand anyway
>- Jails. I personally use this to segregate my development environments, having jails tailored towards specific tasks so they don't touch my host system - out of the box, native, and ready to go.
Jails is overrated, but fair enough.

Things you (conveniently) forgot
>ports are dogshit and always broken
>slow
>drivers are either shitty or nonexistent
>unstable USB support
>NIH syndrome and irrational hatred towards Linux
>BSD is the ultimate cuck license
>it took them 20 years to get 10 years behind Linux
FreeBSD is a meme

Yeah, this is what I was waiting for. I tried FreeBSD a few years ago and it was a pain to even set it up, let alone use it. Maybe it works for some people but I quickly switched back to Slackware. So I guess not much changed since then.

hot garbage

Attached: pikahue.png (776x784, 520K)

HardenedBSD is literally the same as FreeBSD with more system hardening. Your argument is meaningless and you're being a retard. Sage

Fuck off Kevin

the problem that the author of this article and this user don't understand is servers are a thing

Attached: cavium-100625475-large.jpg (580x323, 36K)

Why would anyone use FreeBSD over Linux, when the latter is easier and cheaper to set up?

install gentoo

Enjoy your CoC

superior performance in certain situations (like for netflix's cdn), and I'm not certain linux is always cheaper or easier

All of the BSDs are braindead easy to install and setup. Fuck off. Also, OpenBSD is better.

Of course, a fucking tripfag.

kevin my dude ur too far into autism, go back to being an apple fanboy you're making us worried

kevin are you still following the solus project?

Install solus

Nigga nobody and I really mean nobody uses FreeBSD because of Jails. I can respect that you changed to the BSD variant but stop bullshiting everyone that your """favorite part""" is Jails. Also this is a poor attempt at covert shilling.

Attached: 1547101423689.jpg (400x365, 17K)

reported to freebsd
you're welcome, my king
You can install NVIDIA drivers on FreeBSD
I already did
Yes

building a proprietary software stack on top of it. see: netflix

BSD is garbage. Stop shilling garbage.

I like DragonFly better - dragonflybsd.org/features/

Hardenedbsd is trying to fix freebsd. You should try that instead op.

BSD is better than Linux. Stop using, and contributing to Linux.

>Jails
Is kind of amazing though.

why are you tripfagging ? i'd have tried it if you weren't being such a fag