Would the world have been a better place if Windows 9x was the line Microsoft decided to extend indefinitely?

Would the world have been a better place if Windows 9x was the line Microsoft decided to extend indefinitely?

Attached: windows-95-100642545-large.jpg (579x433, 51K)

Other urls found in this thread:

duplicati.com/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

no, it was unstable as shit. windows 2000 forever would be good

I just lost a year of speechwriting to windows 10

Multiple years of fiction work that would he lost if not for my linux archival machine

Fuck windows 10

Just sign into your Office365 account with Microsoft OneDrive access and recover your files. You shouldn't be trying to store volatile data yourself anyway.

1. I write everything in notepad and other plaintext formats because libreoffice is feature rich but distracting

No. Worse.

2. Restored to previous edition and at least got back the last (best) speech I wrote qnd the current job proposal

In short fufucfufuck you and everything that troll post stood for

No because it should have been windows 2000 as the last windows to update forever.

The world would be a better place if every piece of proprietary software and it's producers were sent to the gulags.

>single user system with no access control

yeah nah

The interface yes, it looks professional and was more functional than today's shitfest. The system itself no, I don't know why the fuck Windows on DOS was so unstable, but god damn.

>You shouldn't be trying to store volatile data yourself anyway.
my sides

Attached: 1550500349861.jpg (902x902, 285K)

You can get the old Windows 95 look with classic shell.

It was better for stability to get away from DOS, but as others said, interface wise could have easily evolved a bit. I mean look at stuff like this, it could've worked.

Attached: whistler2257-1-1.png (800x600, 49K)

9x look with xp stability is the best combo

>flatshit
yikes

The dos based ones were crashing all the time. I remember being quite satisfied with my system if I could run quake 2 for an hour without a random bsod.

It was a beta it could've easily been changed in development.

>Glorified DOS shell
>no SMP support
>limited to 1.5GB of RAM
>finicky about ISA extensions (and everything else really)
Nope

>taking Fischer Price over this aesthetic.
cringe

The world have been a better place if Microsoft let Apple go bankrupt, and then get split up for being a monopoly.

This

>Would the world have been a better place if Windows 9x was the line Microsoft decided to extend indefinitely?
yep
we would have faster single core CPUs instead of just a bunch of shit cores

It would at least be much more comfy desu

no.
new software good or bad keeps shit intresting

Attached: WindowsXP-5.1.2415-Luna.jpg (640x480, 27K)

How though? Why not version control?

>not having air gapped backups in a fireproof safe
>puts nuts out, pours gas on them, hands Windows 10 a lighter

Attached: laughing egg head girl.gif (639x720, 439K)

>speechwriter
>can't afford $12/mo for Office

Deserved it.

That's what we got...

duplicati.com/

Only a zoomer could ask a question as retarded as this. Windows 9x was a shit show created solely so that DOS applications would continue to work while the Win32 API was introduced. It had zero security and zero system file protection. It crashed constantly because apps would shit their dlls all over the system directory and SxS wasn't a thing yet.

/thread

>it was unstable as shit
this. I remember the times of having to bring up the process manager and kill explorer.exe and then manually run it again when it frooze.

True.
No, and you would never ask this if you worked with some dinosaurs from that era, namely Oracle RDBMS. I believe they had some kind of a re-design in 1992 with the introduction of PL/SQL stored procedures and riggers, but they just gradually evolved after that, piling layers of code on top of layers of code, it weights about 6 GB for both server and client, while PostgreSQL with its dependencies weights about
> Need to get 16,5 MB of archives.
> After this operation, 54,9 MB of additional disk space will be used.
Of course, there are GUIs and Java and shit, but even XE is 2.5GB (!).
On top of that, it's uncomfortable to work with. It's hard to explain, but you feel how old it is, it's like going back to that mainframe era.
Bottom line: some software does not become classic, it rots, and additional features look like a lipstick on a pig. That's why MS rewrote Windows kernel from scratch in 1988-1992 and then again in 2003-2006.