/sqt/ - Stupid Questions Thread

Previous thread
>Read
>GNU/Linux questions?
>PC building?
>Programming questions?
>Good, cheap, laptops?
>Cheap electronics?
>How to activate any version of windows?
>Where can I get Win 7 or LTSB?
pastebin.com/smjvLZN4
pastebin.com/quC0gz4j
pastebin.com/gHCCFBkt
pastebin.com/4LvsAFk7

Attached: dirtyboys.jpg (600x600, 226K)

Other urls found in this thread:

chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/picture-in-picture-extens/hkgfoiooedgoejojocmhlaklaeopbecg?hl=en
seagate.com/files/www-content/datasheets/pdfs/desktop-drive-3-5-DS1986-1-1804US-en_US.pdf
seagate.com/www-content/datasheets/pdfs/bup-dt-hub-amerDS1894-1-1605-AMER-en_US.pdf
seagate.com/files/www-content/datasheets/pdfs/desktop-drive-3-5-DS1986-2-1807US-en_US.pdf
taiga.moe/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

I need to come up with a software architecture document for one of my uni classes; thing is, I can't really decide what kind of application to cover. Can you guys give me some ideas? I don't have any more detailed requirement, so I'm at a loss of ideas here.

Any reason to actually reinstall windows if I'm migrating from an SSD to NVME instead of just cloning the drive?

>delete a folder in my Subversion repository
>create a new one with the same name
>check out old revision of the folder from before deletion
>log shows history of new version of folder, omits all commits to the folder prior to deletion
Why?

>try to open a 16 gig .bin file in PowerISO
>it crashes
what the FUCK? someone help

which laptop would you choose? (elaborate)

>4K screen (IPS)
>16GB RAM (DDR4)
>CPU score of 8100

>1080P screen (IPS)
>32GB RAM (DDR4)
>CPU score of 8900

they both have the same GPU

no

>PowerISO
windows 10 has its own built in image mounter so you don't have to install garbage like this

Took em long enough. MacOS and GNU/Linux have had this for many, many years

When will Jow Forums run out of digits?

>loonix
everything sucks in loonix
also I'm pretty sure windows 8 had it as well

sick of these slightly shota op images. fuck off faggot

The 4k one for sure. I am already used to higher resolutions and wouldn't want to go back, and 16GB should be plenty.

>slightly
they are literal shotas and OP is an actual faggot

4k is gonna be BS at laptop screen sizes, so forget that. I also have a hard time imagining you using 32 gb on a mobile device, but it doesn't use extra power or resources, so knock yourself out. I get the sneaking suspicion you're looking into a "gaming laptop", which I would advise against. Laptops tend to die young, especially the beefy gaming ones, and there's little to nothing you can do to fix or upgrade them. Better to get a cheap and portable laptop that's good at being a laptop, and a separate desktop that's actually good at what it does, rather than some frankencombo.

>I also have a hard time imagining you using 32 gb on a mobile device
you're just projecting because you don't do any actual work on laptops.
> I get the sneaking suspicion you're looking into a "gaming laptop"
again, you're projecting and pulling assumptions out of your ass, but no, both have quadro gpus for work.

pedo website

>both have quadro gpus for work
You should have lead with that dude. Enterprise hardware is a whole different deal. Even HP's laptops aren't complete ass in their business line. Also you won't get BS design meant to look 1337 to gamers at the expense of function and longevity. Whether you get any use out of 4k is going to depend on the kind of work you do, especially with photo/video editing, but it can impact the kind of performance and battery you get, and windows 10 doesn't scale some shit well, so certain things may be practically impossible to see.

I am having an issue where I can't post on Jow Forums. On Clover (Jow Forums Android app) I get "error posting", on my destop PC I get "connection error". The weird thing is that I can post if using the mobile website on my phone, but if I open the desktop website on my phone browser I get "connection error" again. Both the phone and PC are on the same wireless network and using Chrome as browser.

So to recap
Clover: can't post
PC: can't post
Phone (desktop website): can't post
Phone (mobile website): can post ???

low iq posts

I'm putting together a list of items to buy for a basket raffle, and one of the baskets is tech item themed. What else should I add to it besides two flash drives, a giftcard and earbud headphones?

I guess it doesn't necessarily have to be electronic items but I don't want to go ham on spending a lot of our funding. It just feels like it needs one or two more things.

Fellow Europoors, what countries do you route thru with your VPN? It seems hard as fuck to find a country that doesn't work with NSA on passive surveillance that also doesn't do their own surveillance. I'm not doing anything da gibimint would want to look at me for, but I think we can all agree here that being passively spied at is bullshit, and I would like to avoid that.

Is there a detailed guide to become a hardware Wizard?

Attached: 920f8d0daf4eebedf07ee70cf865d5f0.jpg (1024x1536, 301K)

Ever since i put a new sim card in my galaxy ace 4, my win7 wont see the mass storage on the phone. Charges fine. The first time i plugged it in, windows said "driver unsupported". How can that be after only changing sim?

Powerbank? Usb-c cable? Gentoo iso?

Restarting the router didn't fix it. I also tried connecting my PC with an ethernet cable but still got "connection error". I guess the issue could be on my internet provider's end but literally every other website works just fine.

test

i am playing a video game and fps don't improve when looking closely at a wall compared to a busy open scene.

isn't the engine supposed to cut out hidden objects and save a lot of computational power, especially when it comes to a well engineered corner case such as looking at a wall?

switched the user agent to Android on my desktop PC to get the mobile website and now I can post. What does the mobile Jow Forums website do differently than the desktop website ?

I just switched to firefox from chrome, and I'm having issues with private browsing. when I browse /gif/ for example, changes I make to Jow Forums's settings don't persist across different tabs. Is there any way to fix this?

tab 1)
enable webm audio
open a new tab
webm audio is unset

its not as simple as that, it depends on alot of things and isnt going to happen in every game in every situation

if you're cpu-limited, looking at a wall might not do a lot
there's more to a game than just the graphics
it's true most games will cull out most stuff not being looked at before rendering, and also avoid things like physics simulations and other animations which aren't being looked at, but not always, some games are just not well optimized

I wanted to get into programming, and specifically functional.
Chose F# because Clojure seems stupid and autistic, any lisp seems autistic and haskell I dislike from a few experiences I've had- opinions.

VS is so ram-expensive, slow and downright unresponsive, I opted out; vs code does about the same, but to a less degree, still tho, unresponsiveness and slowless, 12 fucking processes totaling over 600mb is unacceptable.
Glossing over settings there's nothing I can turn off to reduce this. Some of the thing are slightly helpful. But I'm constantly getting push back toward sublime.

Anything I can do about vsc- disable anything in some hidden config or delete shit? I'm close to giving up on anything that's associated with ms soon, this bloat and suboptimized shit is bugging me to no end.

Attached: cat66.jpg (994x1200, 501K)

What's best note-taking program on Windows? At the moment I use sublime text, but unable to bold out certain text drives me nuts. Any recommendations?

Attached: 1551372466137.jpg (720x712, 57K)

How does one keep image and video files in their original condition for as long as possible? What should be avoided to a prevent any loss in image quality?

archive them
zip them a few times, preferably each with a different format (like rar and zip) so the compression layer gets eaten away before the actual contents, easily add 5-10 years onto your data

What's the best way to connect Ethernet cables? I can solder them, or is there a better way?

How long does it take before images on a HDD or flash drive begin to degrade? How will I know if an image has degraded at all apart from looking at it with the naked eye?

Crimping tool

Can I use a single 16 GB ram module or do I need 2x 8GB for modern motherboards? (for example the: Z370P D3)

Rangeban?

Test

How do I prevent Vim from resizing all my windows when I move a split with H/L ?

:set noequalalways only works on opening new splits, not moving old ones... I'd like to at least keep the heights as they were.

hey I found it. it was
:set winfixheight

capslock is best
markdown syntax highlighting?
ms paint?
why would you ever bold sth instead of caps?

You mean that it's easier and faster or that the signal will be better? Cable run is fairly long and there are several cuts in it so I want to find out what method will give me least signal loss.

The Z370P D3 supports 16GB modules, I think most modern motherboards do.

What should I use to clean an old laptop inside and out? Should I just use compressed air and a microfiber cloth + alcohol for tough stains?

Mobile website.

God knows pal.

Ok so from what I've gathered, the issue is that Cloudflare thinks my IP is malicious or something and is showing me the Captcha whenever I visit websites. This breaks posting from the quick reply box on Jow Forums website and from Clover. Is there a way to fix this other than getting a new IP address? I checked my IP on projecthoneypot.org etc. and they all say my IP address has a good reputation, so I don't understand why I'm getting the Captcha.

If I was using this kind of setup, would it be possible to play a youtube video on the monitor, and scroll through the comments on the laptop?

Forgot pic

Attached: FW73IBTI6J7RD5Y.LARGE.jpg (768x1024, 117K)

You can always open the same video on both displays, in two separate instances

>everytime my monitor goes to sleep it wakes up with this stupid no signal message
>this is there for 5 minutes and then the cycle repeats
any idea to fix this? its extremely annoying watching movies... factory reset AND google didnt help

its a dell u2518d btw

Is this keyboard worth it? I heard it's really comfortable to type and good on the wrist

Attached: 81jQoWXIJkL._SL1500_.jpg (1500x975, 182K)

My current PSU is 220w. If i get a new CPU thats 95w, and a gpu thats 50w, will i be able to edge along without spending more money?

chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/picture-in-picture-extens/hkgfoiooedgoejojocmhlaklaeopbecg?hl=en

Cool stuff, but I still wish I could full screen the video.

Is it possible to get ram that works at the rated speed out of the box? Or is it always XMP for speeds over 2133?

Are CPU generations still getting better at the ridicolously slow rate they were when I last looked at them?

I bough an i5-3570k in 2012 and never needed to upgrade it, I've just bought an i5-9600k for a new system and am wondering if I can expect it to be useful for the same length of time

what would be the best android emulator, which is the least botnet

are desktop threads really getting deleted or are people just fucking around?

Yes in general, but it does depend a lot. My 2666 RAM ran at 2400 in my ryzen build before I enabled XMP.

Yeah for the average use case, they've plateaud over the last few years.

Honestly Android Studio is fine, it's FOSS and everything. However (at least the IDE) is bloated and slow, there may be better alternatives.

i mainly need an android emulator for dumb games for my kid, can android studio do that more or less effortlessly

Standard Notes

>seagate.com/files/www-content/datasheets/pdfs/desktop-drive-3-5-DS1986-1-1804US-en_US.pdf

>seagate.com/www-content/datasheets/pdfs/bup-dt-hub-amerDS1894-1-1605-AMER-en_US.pdf

>seagate.com/files/www-content/datasheets/pdfs/desktop-drive-3-5-DS1986-2-1807US-en_US.pdf

What's the differences between these 3 drives? Two of them require a power adapter, and one does not. I'm wanting the want that requires no power adapter. It seems more convenient to not need a power adapter. Is there any disadvantage for it not having one, such as being more prone to failure or something?

Is there any reason to use a 32-bit OS anymore? 64-bit doesn't require more than 4GB RAM to run, it can just access more than that if you have it, right?

what's the name of the program controlling the heads-up display in manjaro i3? that is, with the list of keyboard shortcuts on the bottom left and the system monitor on the top right?

switzerland isn't a member of the eu or the five eyes but i haven't looked into american / their own monitoring

i liked stickies, that has all the formatting options

nope - also, using a 32-bit os on a 64-bit system limits you to a little under 4gb of accessible memory

Why are computers so anal with memory? Testing pulling the sticks out and back is making me believe I bought a new PSU without needing it, I don't have a multimeter to test my old one I thought it was faulty, but it seems either the stick or the slot sometimes just causes shutdowns

>but it seems either the stick or the slot sometimes just causes shutdowns
I believe with memory, it doesn't always use the same areas for storage, so if it's got some faulty places in its storage it's a gamble as to how long after startup it is before it attempts to use those areas and crashes the computer.
Have you tried running Memtest?

If I handcrafted my own hardware and setup my own ISP is there anyway the botnet can still get to me?

Do gaming laptops HAVE to get hot? Like, when you get a high end gaming laptop, and play a newer game on 1080p mid-to-high-settings, could it remain at lower temps like under 60C at all times? I've been considering a gaming laptop because I have to travel for work and moving a desktop rig is going to be a bit of a hassle in my future. I'm talking about recent games mostly, not just brand new stuff but here's a few examples of games that run very hot on my current PC: Fallout 4, Dragon Quest XI, Batman Arkham Knight. Basically, would a good enough laptop right now run those sort of games on mid settings without needing to go loud on the fan or pass 60C consistently, or do even the best rigs get very hot when doing work? I know you can get 4K this-and-that with ultra high settings, I'm mostly just interested in being able to play games without burning my lap or potentially hurting the PC and lowering it's lifespan.

Did you register an ASN and buy IP address blocks from ARIN? Are you connected directly to an IXP or do you use a transit provider?

this PC has some psychotic shit going, it was starting fine with 1 stick only at first, then I put both , try memtest but it won't boot from the USB with its image for some reason, then I take out the stick and switch their slots, now it at least booted the PC fine, I really should get a multimeter and learn how to fully check for PSU issues I guess

Gaymen laptops don't have anywhere near the cooling required to run at decent temps under load. Pic related GPU does and even that needs good case airflow as well. You can see the difference quite clearly.

Attached: GTX1080.jpg (1280x720, 137K)

I haven't done anything yet, I want to try to do something similar to the people in this video hooktube.com/watch?v=1B0u6nvcTsI

I have been researching networking lately and I want to try this so I can have maximum privacy.

Components get hot when they're used. You don't notice it in a desktop because there's ample airflow and it's not half an inch from your lap, but it happens with all components.
Either use your laptop on a table/on a surface you set on your lap, or get comfortable with turning the graphics settings down low enough to not tax your card so much.
Honestly, unless by "travel" you mean 90% of your time is spent in transportation rather than a hotel room, I'd recommend just building a tiny mini-ITX desktop with a graphics card and carrying it around like a briefcase. If you want to get really /diy/, you could attach the screen to the side of the case itself.

How do I create a virtual bluetooth Mic on my PC? I want to use whatever audio is playing on the computer as the mic source

>bought KRK rokit 6s for a great deal
>want to connect them to PC for general playback
>cannot for the life of me find the best way to connect them.
I cant find RCA to 3.5mm cables that dont have a y splitter that would restrict placing them on either side of my desk, nor do I know what the FUCK I'm looking for in terms of an audio interface. Please help

IIRC, If you use Linux you can use Jack to plug together different audio streams and programs

>Either use your laptop on a table/on a surface you set on your lap, or get comfortable with turning the graphics settings down low enough to not tax your card so much.
Well that was sort of what my question was getting to, with the best laptops does "low enough to not tax your card" line up with playing modern games at mid-settings in the laptops that can play 4K ultra-settings games, or is the tech just not that good yet for mid settings on modern games to not heat up that badly?

>Honestly, unless by "travel" you mean 90% of your time is spent in transportation rather than a hotel room, I'd recommend just building a tiny mini-ITX desktop with a graphics card and carrying it around like a briefcase.

That actually might work out better than a laptop, thanks.

should i switch to firefox it seems a bot better than chrome but takes up way more CPU is there a way to lower the amount it takes?

Unlink the world.
Unlock the rest.

Attached: 1384121645527.png (1110x1080, 536K)

>should i switch to firefox
Yes.

>is there a way to lower the amount it takes?
Make sure you're using ublock origin for one. I'd google around for your issue. It really shouldn't be taking a noticeable amount of CPU, unless you're running on a real dinosaur.

i have a Yoga laptop so maybe that's why? i am running Firemin to hopefully lower the usage.

I fucked up. I removed InstallShield update manager from the task scheduler because it was eating up all my internet. And now, the internet doesn't work. There are errors about the proxy connection. I tried to put that process back at the start up, but I can't find where the fuck that program is located. Any ideas? Or how can I make my connections not go through that proxy?

I want a piece of technology that I can take apart and work on and have fun with. Like a car but smaller and cheaper. No bigger than a motorcycle, but preferably not as loud. What can I get? I'd like to only spend 2 or 300 bucks if possible. oh and nothing dangerous that could explode on me

How do i keep my room clean of dust? I wipe my floors with wet rag instead of vacuuming (so i dont get the dust airborne with my shitty vacuum) but it keeps coming back every few days. What do? I cant afford expensive air filter machines or such

not him, I'm on a phenom II 960T dinosaur here, firefox runs fine with ublock origin, I don't use noscript though, not sure if that speeds it up further

is there an objectively correct order to read the books in the programming resources page on the wiki? if so pls share

taiga.moe/
redpill me on this

any idea how to get flash working on iridium?

Is this a fake flac?

Attached: 11. Arms.flac.png (636x383, 170K)

I have spent for the last hour looking at how to disable the fucking header in libreoficcice. This program is fucking retarded

What a good media player for android?

Id google but while i do find some, they all have fucking ads

Yes, transcode from 128kbps mp3.
VLC and MPV.

I just upgraded to a 4k display and have an old blu ray internal laying around: ASUS BW-12b1LT
Can this read 4k UHD blu rays?

Attached: JqAYTln.jpg (736x1103, 109K)

Gaming laptops are running a bit of a scam right now on temps. They pretend they are running cool by not turning up the fan until you get to 60c, in addition to insulation that makes the laptop feel cool while actually being really hot. The only modern laptops that don't do this are thinkpads, which are noisy and uninsulated. This helps with temps but results in a more annoying experience.