Audio

Can Jow Forums recommend speakers with this aesthetic?

I'd be fine building some if necessary,

Attached: download.jpg (283x178, 8K)

Other urls found in this thread:

woodworking.sustainlife.org/finishing-with-danish-oil/
parts-express.com/overnight-sensations-mt-speaker-kit-pair--300-706
audioengineusa.com/shop/poweredspeakers/a2-plus-desktop-speakers/
audioengineusa.com/shop/components/d1-24-bit-dacheadphone-amp/
hometheaterhifi.com/volume_11_3/athena-micra-speakers-8-2004.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

It's called walnut. And to get that specific tone it's just finished with a Danish oil rub.

woodworking.sustainlife.org/finishing-with-danish-oil/

Attached: 5F06A4EC-68CF-41DD-AAF9-B29C8B218D54.jpg (355x318, 15K)

wouldn't walnut be bad for speaker cabs because its so hard and non porous

if you want to build something just search for ProAc 2.5 clone

Got me. It's a hard wood used for its looks and sturdiness. There might be some resonance but I doubt it would be like an aluminum cabinet.

I had some speakers looking just like that with a gray stainless steel grille. They were grundigs I think, some old model from the 60's.

pic from google

Attached: d[1].jpg (640x480, 95K)

Check out the diy kits from Parts Express. The Overnight Sensations or the C-Note monitors might be what you're looking for. That way you can get the exact finish you want.

parts-express.com/overnight-sensations-mt-speaker-kit-pair--300-706

I guess on the subject of audio, what are some things to avoid or look for look for when looking at receivers?
I'm trying to hook up two computers (which requires at least one optical input), some old game consoles, and ideally my security camera box (which would require HDMI), to the same receiver. I'll probably add in other stuff later.

I'm thinking of getting the Audioengine A2+ and a D1 DAC/AMP for my next build

audioengineusa.com/shop/poweredspeakers/a2-plus-desktop-speakers/
audioengineusa.com/shop/components/d1-24-bit-dacheadphone-amp/

Would be $530 AUD though, but I think it would be an improvement over my current Xonar Essence STX and old af Logitech THX speakers

Attached: audioengine-2-plus-powered-desktop-speakers-custom-pc-review-5.jpg (2158x1440, 155K)

I'm guessing the resonance would be negligible, especially if the pieces were joined with a soft glue.

Speakers aren't made with hardwoods because they're dimensionally unstable and split seams with humidity changes. (Some people/companies do use hardwoods, but it's always because of a delusion/scheme to confuse visual properties with acoustic ones)

"Walnut" speakers are veneered. A veneer is an ultra-thin sheet of hardwood you glue over the real cabinet.

>Audioengine A2+, an improvement over my current old af Logitech THX speakers
Most anything will be an improvement over those. Audioengine doesn't make great speakers for the price, they're just exceptionally good at marketing and product design. A DAC wont make a fuck of difference until your speakers are impeccable.

i've had the original A2s (non+) for a few years, they're pretty good w/o a DAC
i got them as a gift tho, so didnt pay the high price

Were you happy with them mostly? What did you change to?

i still have them and use them daily
they get pretty loud on my smallish apartment
the only issue i had was when i first got them, my then gf was blasting them while i was at work, and ever since the lower bass tones tend to cause a bit of a rattle, at least i blame her for it

Righto, so you just have them plugged into your motherboard?

yeah, with pulseaudio eq

to expand a bit, i previously had an older onkyo receiver and 5.1 surround speakers (athena micra)
hometheaterhifi.com/volume_11_3/athena-micra-speakers-8-2004.html

so the a2s were kind of a step down, but i spent a few weeks researching what i could get for a small apartment, and the a2s were pretty good on paper for what i wanted. i was not disappointed, and didnt miss the athenas after a while

Thanks very much for the info

Those look like butt plugs.
I have some JBLs that sound nice but the glossy plastic on them bugs me. If I was more craft talented, I'd find a way to matte the finish.

poorfriend here
is the Micca MB42x good enough for casual listening?
I already have a headphone setup i am happy with (K712 pro)

to add, even now i keep the volume knob on the speakers at around 80% full and rarely increase PC volume past 60% and it's loud enough to cover a roundabout 30' x 30' room with background fans and other noises

I had a pair of these at work. They were okay for background music but the amp died. They did replace it under warranty and then after the second sets warranty ran out the volume knob started to make noise when adjusted.

Poor quality.

Imagine showing those to a girl you bring over. She'd leave immediately and tell her friends you're gay.

Why does Jow Forums seem to have a preference for "bookshelf" sized speakers?

>A bunch of nerds talking about computers prefers smaller speakers for their computer desk
Why?!

Unless you've found a way to put floor standing speakers on a desk I'm not aware of?

It's funny you say that, because bookshelf speakers are still too big for desk use. I figured people here would prefer speakers designed for PCs, which are at least half as small as bookshelf speakers.

Attached: s-l225.jpg (225x186, 10K)

because they are aesthetic

Depends on the type of girl you are projecting your opinion onto

Lots of people on Jow Forums use speakers like that or headphones, not many have bookshelves and fewer still have passive bookshelves.

I want to put speakers on my desk for when I'm not using headphones. And I don't want to mount them to my walls

I'm still using this for my desk for years and years now. Still works.

Attached: 30993080-2-440-overview-1.gif (830x467, 137K)

Good god this logitech fag again.

-lots of people have desk setups
-generally at the distances people are sitting, they provide plenty of output
-their shorter panel lengths can be acoustically advantageous in the budgets commonly discussed here
-as long as they can go reasonably deep in bass, they can be crossed over to a subwoofer which can be placed properly, versus running a tower full range means you'll basically always have compromises in the bass range
-aesthetics

If you are happy, stick with it.

literally every speaker

Attached: serveimage.jpg (1500x1500, 164K)

Attached: ca.jpg (1500x1500, 240K)

genelec

>have pioneer elite home theater receiver
>get shivers listening to some music
i really want to get a mcintosh amp now just because desu

I now have two SVS PB-2000's now, watching movies is very entertaining.

First time buying a dedicated microphone setup. Looking to do under $70, this is what I've come up with, thoughts/suggestions appreciated.(using phantom to 1/4 cuz dac has mic input so i can monitor)

Attached: chrome_w8vxKrRysX.png (2115x782, 166K)

My guess would be listening distance. Big 3-ways (except probably some coaxial models) are not the best bet close.

Kilpsch The Sixes
You don’t need a subwoofer with them.

What's up fags,

I'm trying to build a system but can't decide between an amp or receiver.
My sources are optical (tv/netflix) usb (pc/phone) and Bluetooth (Bluetooth not required thought, just a nice to have)
I plan to use 2.0 for the foreseeable future, but having the ability to at least add a center speaker would be nice (not absolute necessity thought)

Essentially my confusion comes from pricing of components in Europe, and the small used market in my country (Portugal). On german Amazon, the price I pay for an amp that has network / usb / optical inputs is close to the price I would pay for a receiver with 5.1 and 7.1 capabilities, and sometimes I can even find atmos capable receivers with room correction like ypao and audyssey.

Options would be receiver (yamaha vsx385, vsx485 or denon x1400h/x1500h/x2400h ) + speakers I'm still deciding on + Sennheiser hd58x

Or Onkyo 8130 amp + speakers + hd58x

OR possibly smsl ad18 / sabaj a4 + speakers + hd58x , the thing is I don't really trust chi-fi build quality, I'm afraid these amps would break and I'd be forced to spend more money down the road. I found a used Denon PMA 50 , but there is little info on it.

As for the receivers, why these models if I'm going to 2.0? Well, they would allow me to eventually add more speakers, they have room correction and all the inputs I need.

Wat do?

harbeth

You always need a subwoofer if you want even bass response since you'll need to place it somewhere else other than where your mains are, and you need two if you want even bass response across multiple seats.

Get a Denon or Yamaha in budget with room correction (Audyssey for Denon, Yamaha has their own thing that works well too).

transcendent beauty

Attached: maharaja-of-kashmir-1930-CPJ07M.jpg (974x1390, 214K)

>I figured people here would prefer speakers designed for PCs, which are at least half as small as bookshelf speakers.
But they sound like SHIT.

>You always need a subwoofer if you want even bass response since you'll need to place it somewhere else other than where your mains are, and you need two if you want even bass response across multiple seats.
Or just get speakers with woofers in them.

Thank you user