The absolute state of technology when it comes to power consumption

Does this phone offend anyone else here? That 18000 mAh battery in it has slightly more watt hours than the 6 cell 33+ and 55+ batteries for the Thinkpad T400 and T420, yet only manages to give you 1200 hours of standby, 100 hours of music playback, or 90 hours of talk time.

For comparison:
>the Motorola Razr only had a 680 mAh battery yet managed 280 hours of standby and 7 hours of talk time, that's 6.25x more efficient when it comes to standby time and 2x more efficient when it comes to talking
>an MP3 player like the Sansa Clip could manage 15 hours or more of playback despite having a bit less than a 300 mAh battery, that's about 9x more efficient when it comes to listening to music
>the Nintendo DS Lite had a 1000 mAh battery and managed 15-19 hours of play time, that's 2.7x to 3.4x more efficient when playing games than that Energizer phone is when just listening to music

How the fuck have we gone this far down hill when it comes to power efficiency? Imagine the things that could have been.

Attached: Energizer retarded brick phone.jpg (800x450, 33K)

Other urls found in this thread:

red-lang.org/,
jfloren.net/b/2015/8/18/2
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

googleshit phoning home 24/7

Almost like old phones did less power hungry tasks

Attached: 🤔.png (478x504, 44K)

This particular energizer phone has the same flaw as other chinese phones with 10000mah+ batteries - it uses a power inefficient mediatek chipset that's poorly developed and supported. Battery is 5x bigger than a regular phone, but battery life isn't 5x better because the hardware used.

But yes, none of the other devices your compare to had 24/7 internet connectivity constantly awake to receive.

>none of the other devices your compare to had 24/7 internet connectivity constantly awake to receive.
Did you miss the Motorola Razr I listed? That phone did have a browser. Also, all cell phones since forever have maintained connections as long as they're on because that's needed for them to perform the basic task of allowing other people to call you.

>Imagine the things that could have been.
But we can never have that because people need tons of processing power to run all the spyware and shitty bloated code that's common today.

Attached: 1533867319361.jpg (362x519, 50K)

Nice reading comprehension, you stupid fucking piece of shit tripfag.

it would just mean that they would put smaller batteries in phone. Pretty much if a phone can last me through the work day, then thats good enough for me.

Attached: Untitled-1.jpg (800x900, 74K)

What really offends me is that we use mAh to compare batteries when it isn't even a unit of energy.

This WILL flop.

Everyone will realise this will be a up marked chink mobile with energizer stamp that will weigh and feels like a brick. Coupled with Mediakek POS CPU - $599 dollars, you'll see this in the bargain bin in a month and energizer pulling out mobile market forever.

this kind of thing has had me thinking lately. i want to take the kernel from android, write a framebuffer driver for red-lang.org/, and build a really basic userland on top using that. kind of like jfloren.net/b/2015/8/18/2 but with red in place of inferno.

holy shit, better delet the thread now, op

Attached: bog.txt.png (458x710, 18K)

The shit battery life on phones is from the sheer amount of background tasks running bc of Google and from all the apps you use. Once upon a time my wife's old Nexus 6 couldn't last a day . I put LineageOS with no Google play store (used fdroid for alternatives for all her stuff). Battery life went from 1 day to 4 days between charges

It's almost like lifting 100 pounds requires more energy than lifting 8.

The razr doesn’t have a high definition screen on it

What does that have to do with the comparison of talk and standby time the phone can achieve?

people:
>i don't mind a thicc phone for better battery live
also people:
>lololo what is this phat shit

>18000 mAh battery
>no headphone jack

Attached: image_0.jpg (842x699, 170K)

So... Are you saying we should go back to 176x220 resolutions and 256k colours?
1080p phone with 8 core CPU, 3GB RAM, internal storage, GPS, wifi, 4g mobile data (which, most likely, is always on) and the fact that your phone always runs some programs in background
geeee... I wonder why
OP is retarded

different voltages brainlet

It's not a matter of hardware - it's mainly software that's the culprit.
Windows Phones, even ones with 1GB RAM and quad-core processors, get significantly better battery life than a comparably equipped phone running Android.
Poorly optimized software and too much bloat is the issue.

Unfortunately Microsoft is retarded so they bought the largest phone manufacturer in the world then got bored and kill Windows Phone.

You forgot to mention these facts about the energizer phone:
Battery not replaceable
No microsd card slot
No headpone jack
No water proofing

Your forgetting that cellphone modems are alot more powerful than they where years ago as we have ALOT more data that is sent back and forth between the tower and phone
It's also the reason that some of the devices listed have such good battery, they lack a modem that is always on

>hurr it has a more powerful processor, more RAM, and more storage, therefore it must use more power
>hurr simply having 4G hurts battery life, not all the spyware that constantly phones home over 4G
>hurr just accept all that garbage bloatware and spyware that's always running in the background despite not being necessary to perform the tasks the user wants the device to perform

They all use 3.7 volt batteries. Notice how OP went out of their way to specify watt hours when comparing against Thinkpads that don't use 3.7 volt batteries?

having a browser !== constant polling for updates and connectivity the way modern phones do. on the old nokias, shit didn't even wake up unless the browser was on, and again, even the pages it would be pulling were dumbed down wap pages with nothing but ascii.

also everyone else complaining about the chipset is right. I enjoy my cheapo mediatek for the $60 it cost me, but LMAO it's a juice hog vs. an equivalent qualcomm chip.

>constant polling for updates
That shouldn't even be necessary to do more than once per day.

You're comparing a pool of specialized devices with very anemic hardware even for their time to a more general-purpose device that combines all of their functions and is used in a very different way.

It's better to compare a modern smartphone to older color PDAs, and in that realm you'll find that nothing's really changed, with battery life in the 5-15 hour range with continuous usage being quite typical.

>hurr durr, muh botnet consumes power more than anything else!
>hurr durr, custom ROMs don't have this problem!

Attached: image.jpg (125x113, 12K)

>you don't NEED it
fucking yuropoors

What infuriates me about modern smartphones is that they pack (relatively speaking) such power-hungry hardware for...nothing, really. There are effectively no native applications that actually ever take advantage of high-end (or even mid-end) phone hardware. At best, it compensates for the horribly inefficient shitware that is the typical "app".

If the Nokia came with a basic snapdragon and a headphone jack I'd be buying it

>with very anemic hardware even for their time
Those devices performed the tasks they set out to do just fine while maximizing battery life, which is exactly what a fucking mobile device should be designed to do rather than throwing the best hardware specs possible at a problem just for them to be squandered by shitty bloatware while only paying some attention to battery life. Too bad subhuman retards who want hardware specs with a lot of bigger numbers have to ruin it.

This.

>power hungry tasks
faget, da fuq? Have you checked your screen power consumption? Not saying smartphones aren't botnet, but you must be clinically retarded to think that botnet is the problem of short battery life.

I think the future of phones will be powered wirelessly
Now they just need a powerful phone that consumes 5watts max

Attached: wpt.jpg (550x425, 46K)

That picture is fake as fuck

>Future
There have been wireless charging phones for years now

Probably a few button cells and maybe a reed switch in the base of the bulb.

Razr was a fucking dumbphone.
Pick one up from the same time which actually can do shit.

And how exactly do you think they maximized that battery life? Through using anemic hardware that provided the bare minimum power required to effectively perform a single or small set of predefined tasks. Smartphones don't perform a small set of predefined tasks, they do what all of those devices do and anything else you can do with a turing-complete system, which entails needing proper hardware to handle it. Faster processors, higher resolution displays, more storage, more expansion, you name it.

If you look at devices that fulfilled similar roles in the age of the RAZR, dedicated MP3 players and handheld gaming consoles, you'll find that their battery life figures were quite similar, or more often even worse.

>Coupled with Mediakek POS CPU - $599 dollars, you'll see this in the bargain bin in a month and energizer pulling out mobile market forever.
/thread

>and anything else you can do with a turing-complete system
Are you actually retarded or just pretending?

>Faster processors, higher resolution displays, more storage, more expansion, you name it.
We've passed the point where phones would be able to run Crysis just as well if not better than the desktops available at the time it came out if it was ported over. I think it's time to take a step back and ask how much benefit people are actually seeing in the tasks they use their smartphones for vs how much more power consumption they're seeing due to massively overspecced hardware being used where it isn't actually needed.

when will we finally admit we have hit a wall with improving battery life and go back to thicc devices

Display size, wireless connections, sensors, botnet computations.

Attached: gsmarena_001.jpg (728x314, 55K)

>having a browser !== constant polling for updates and connectivity the way modern phones do

Most sites today constantly poll for updates, which in turn makes the OS behind them poll for connectivity. Case in point, Jow Forums itself has an automatic thread updater.

There's no such word as "alot"

Use two separate words:
a lot

>put overpowered CPUs and GPUs in phones
>put 1080p and above (meme) resolutions
>put a fuck ton of useless sensors which only exist so that NSA can spy on you easier
>put a fuck ton of useless bloatware and useless Google bloatware
>use SIM cards for internet
>use SIM cards at all
Of course your battery life will be shit. However you're making non-arguments here.
>Motorola Razr
It has significantly less memory, memory speed, much lower CPU frequency, much smaller and less demanding screen, etc. It's not comparable to a smartphone.
>MP3 player
They basically have no software, no networking, a less than 360p screen, a 2000x weaker CPU, no GPU or additional hardware.
>Nintendo DS
It didn't have a shit ton of background tasks, had a much lower screen resolution, had 1000x less memory, didn't use SIM cards.

I seriously doubt this phone gets only 100h of music playback. That's impossibility low unless they're using Bluetooth headphones and streaming songs. My phone has a 6x lower battery capacity and can play music for a whole day.

Yes, you fucking idiot. The more powerful a CPU is the more power it needs. If you wipe the Android OS from this energizer phone and install just your basic stock android without play services and with all apps replaced by minimal apps, while underclocking the CPU to have 10x less frequency and replacing the screen with a 480p screen the battery life will increase 10x.
4G does kill battery life fast. With a SIM card and always on 4G on my phone (without play services and botnet apps) my battery can't last half a day even in mostly standby. With always on WiFi it lasts 1.5-2 days.

I've had two exceptionally long run-time smartphones over the years:

1) an Atrix HD with the RAZR HD battery swap (the one from the RAZR HD was much larger capacity but barely a millimeter or two larger so it would fit into the Atrix HD fairly well with some effort). That phone would run for 3-4 days with ~20 hours of SOT (1280x800 LCD display)

2) Galaxy S7 Active (4000 mAh stock battery) - that damned phone, with the Snapdragon 820, would last me 4-6 days with ~25+ hours of SOT at 30-40% brightness levels (SuperAMOLED display). ZeroLemon created a 10K mAh battery pack for it and I was one of the people asked to test it and with that external battery pack attached to the GS7A I could go 6 fucking days or longer without plugging in, and the best test I ever had was putting an 8-bit x265 (not x264, the Snapdragon 820 could decode h.265 natively in hardware) 2 hour movie on looped playback (using MX Player Pro) at 40% brightness and it played for over 42 hours before I finally got a beep about the batteries being low at 15%, then I left it playing and got well into the 57 hour range at 1%.

The GS7A is the longest lasting device I've ever owned using pure stock ROM + stock battery - that's not counting the ZeroLemon one being attached either (that made it a fairly large bulk to carry).

I kinda wish I still had the GS7A, actually. Of course I wish Samsung and other smartphone makers would get the fuck over locking the bootloaders 'cause with a custom ROM and custom kernel on the GS7A I could have tweaked it like mad and made it last even longer on the stock 4000 mAh battery.

Fucking smartphone makers, you irritate the hell out of your customers, really.

This Energizer "battery phone" however, nope, no interest in it whatsoever unless I could get one completely free which will never happen. It's a gimmick like so many others, sadly.

I don't care about performance, beyond being able to run the pile of garbage that is discord, as well as firefox. It's more of a "dev's being shit" than performance.

I wish it wasn't so hard to get a actual decent phone.

And on Battery Saver it lasted even more, I could carry my WPhone with 15-10% on Battery Life for half a day lol

>MediaTek SoC
>Shit battery usage
>No updates
>And you're stuck with Google's botshit because no custom roms
Imagine the battery life with at least a fucking three year-old sd625 and a custom rom.

>so stupid he cant even imagine that it's the apps' fault for requiring faster and faster hardware

cant even fucking load google maps without the god damn keyboard lagging for 10 seconds on my old Samsung J5 after just 1 year of updates.

>less power hungry tasks

You mean they didn't need to chug through tons of bloat to do the exact same thing?

>google

All things google are high order bloat & inefficient as fuck. Even the god damn javascript version of the reCaptcha crushes older computers under 1ghz CPUs and 512mb ram. Yet, those ancient PCs can play some fairly impressive games in comparison to a fucking FADING reCaptcha.

lol lagdroid

diversity hire code

>diversity hire code

kek

Attached: 1551201550350.jpg (640x573, 39K)

he means general computing done by the chip you mouth breather.