Recommendations on the quickest software to securely wipe two hard drives? Both are 1GB and I will be selling them

Recommendations on the quickest software to securely wipe two hard drives? Both are 1GB and I will be selling them.

Attached: 2.jpg (1280x1024, 167K)

Other urls found in this thread:

bleachbit.org/download/windows
cmrr.ucsd.edu/resources/secure-erase.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

DBAN

dd

dban

gen2

>1gb

Not worth your time

Just one 1GB? Or 1TB?

1gb drives you will be lucky to give that shit away

>1gb
Can i have them?

>1gb

>reselling storage media

LOL NO.

Attached: Riding Boots. Crushing mobile phone.webm (480x270, 2.91M)

dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sdb

I used DBAN years ago but fuck my life it took forever. I was hoping something faster would be around by now?

My bad, it's been a long ass day. 1TB.

Hard times friend, I need the $$

Use the built-in Secure Erase function. You can access it with hdparm.

the red zip disquette

Attached: the_game.png (653x561, 338K)

bleach them. you can get a container of bleach at any grocery store, dip them in the bleach, let them dry, then you are good to go

unfortunately there isn't really a quick way to do it. to totally wipe the drives so the data can't be easily recovered, you have to write garbage over the top of every single sector. if you want it to be *really* hard to recover the data, you have to overwrite each sector multiple times. the bottleneck will be the drive itself. you should be able to do them overnight though, so i guess just set it to run while you're asleep?

Yeah, I guess so. It's nothing that will land me in trouble, just personal shit so I'll probably only do one pass anyway. It'll have to be an overnight job with dban then.

>I used DBAN years ago but fuck my life it took forever.
dban by default uses a multi pass wipe that was originally intended for low density magnetic storage in the 80s and is totally inapplicable for modern disks. a single pass of random data (or zeros, but more intelligent controllers sometimes compress them) with dd will do the trick. obviously you'll have to write over every sector on disk so it'll still take an hour or two depending on sequential write speed

Jeez guys. Somebody was going to snap those up dirt cheap, and you had to clue OP in. Nice going.

cloth or something

How about something like encrypting whole drives with bitlocker or other and deleting tpm keys?

>Assuming everyone uses linux

How is this even relevant to the thread dickhead?

>thinks DBAN is linux
Stop being retarded for a second and do a tiny bit of research. DBAN is a self bootable tool.

>Not assuming he's using Linux

Excuse me for assuming people on Jow Forums aren't gaymer cucks who use nonfree fag OSes like windows.

>posted on Jow Forums with windows
gross. winbabbies can use diskpart's clean command

No need to be a twat, I just misread OP. But I guess you could still do what I said and them format the drives.

strong magnet

>Stop being retarded for a second and do a tiny bit of research.
Stop being retarded for a second and do a tiny bit of reading. At no point did I claim / quote a post that even suggests DBAN is linux...

do this op, faster than secure erase

yea don't mind me user. I'm apparently retarded and read one of your linked posts too quickly. My bad. Here's a Miku.

Attached: 1483375267229.jpg (500x500, 53K)

give it back Jamal

Shit, everyone is being so nice today.

fuck off faget

a hammer and then burning the remains.

now recovery is nearly impossible

Attached: hammer.jpg (750x450, 42K)

Drill press is the most efficient

>I used DBAN years ago but fuck my life it took forever. I was hoping something faster would be around by now?

It's not like there's many improvements to be made on writing zeroes to a drive

You want to be fast? Here's a tip.

Attached: hammer.jpg (4240x1920, 1.25M)

(clean all)

is this footfag kino or something? i don't get it

You can use Knoppix on a live DVD or USB drive for something like this.

dd if=/dev/urandom of=/dev/sdb bs=32768

Substitute with whatever the drive appears as, can use lsblk to ascertain

> of=/dev/sdb
>He only has one drive for the os and local files

Place them in the microwave it's always worked for me

/thread

Come home white man. Until then:
bleachbit.org/download/windows

just throw your pizza into the river user.

There is. SATA secure erase. If someone could be a sport and line up all the faggots still using DoD 3/7 passes to wipe disks, even after reading the 2014 NIST guidelines, against a wall, I would gladly pull the trigger.

cmrr.ucsd.edu/resources/secure-erase.html

Power up / spin up the disc, then drill a hole in it. This will make the platters shatter, and no data will be recoverable ever again.

If you just drill a hole, it won't shatter the platters, and the parts without the hole may be recoverable.

What is Linux subsystems for windows

Use Dban or sherd (linux tool).
Either way its not gonna be fast, you'll want AT LEAST one full pass of random bits.. So that's basically just writing a 1 TB file. More passes, some say, is more secure. I prefer 3, if that's of any value to you.
Understandably, as disks got larger, the wiping process only got slower, as writing speeds of spinning disks haven't much improved since the days of 100 Gb hard drivers.

You zero it with ddrescue or dd. If you used encyrption, you optionally just zero the LUKS header.

Anything else is placebo at this point.

impact drill

1GiB?!?! DAMN!!! look at this rich cunt over here. honestly though, open cmd and type in the following:
diskpart
list disk
select disk 1
clean
exit

than go to the "create partition" section somewhere in windows and create a new one on the cleaned hdd

Unironically, CCleaner.

WTF is this gay ass shit. Footfags are insufferable.

>Recommendations on the quickest software to securely wipe two hard drives?
Full disk encryption with external header. Takes approximately 0ms to wipe the entire HDD regardless of its capacity.

>quick
>secure wipe
Doesn't exist. Secure ATA Erase then overwrite with /dev/urandom twice.

Everyone uses Linux, or should use it. dd is available on GNU, Android, BSD and MacOS. It's very unlikely that you don't have at least 1 of these OSs even if you're retarded enough to use Windows.

Single pass zero write. Multiple passes are a meme, nobody has ever been able to recover data from a single pass overwrite.

I melt my retired platters into ingots with a propane torch.

shred -zvn 3 /dev/sd[x]
stop being niggers
/thread

>selling used mechanical drive
I'm sad that there are people dumb enough to actually buy a used hard drive.

also, a new WD10EZEX is only $49.99, so any amount you charge for your chunk of shit used WD green is going to be a ripoff.

Attached: 2fbf6ad2767872e27d88bb36022c4d36ea5dad383ac2ead5ad83f43e73b4b744.png (1073x877, 840K)