Comfiest language

I think Lua is the comfiest language.
What is your /comfylang/, Jow Forums?

Attached: Lua.png (1024x1024, 61K)

I'm the one person who thinks C++ is comfy.

That's interesting. Would you mind explaining why exactly? What about it is comfy to you?

I'm curious because I want to start learning it, but I've been a bit scared off by people saying it's impossible to use and frustrating.

Once you realize 80%+ of the language is too complicated to bother with, it becomes very comfy.

I think c and c++ is comfy because it gives close to full control and there's not a whole lot of fuckery going on behind the scenes.

At that point, is there a reason to use it over, say, C? Or a language that has the features of C++ that you do use and doesn't bother with the ones you don't?

It's comfy because of the syntax. It just seems so right. I think it's beautiful. I like C++ because it has the right blend of speed and features. Personally, I think the best way to learn C++ is to learn C first. Once you realize the difference and the power, you can appreciate and understand it better.

I tried C with K&R but stopped because the exercises were way too hard for me to complete. I'm not sure if it's just a hard book not meant for beginners, or if I'm a complete brainlet. That makes me just want to try out C++ directly, but maybe I should try to find an easier book on C first. No idea.

C with namespaces and templates
what C++ should have been

J

Delphi. I wish I could go back in time to the late 90s and start working with it back then. It's too old and crufty now (I've been spoiled by all the amazing things modern languages can do), but early 2000s it would have been perfect for working on all the projects I had in my head. Kicking myself so hard for not investigating it.

lua is peak comfy
I don't think it's the nicest, and I don't use it super often, but it's just really simple and easy to work with. Lots of things I do are just big tables of items with a set of properties for the table, and Lua makes that the easiest thing in the world.

I also have a soft spot for oldschool VB. It's not nice, but it's so fucking easy that I can't help but like it.
it probably blows ass in a professional setting, but for just throwing together something quick, it's wonderful
drag some shit around, have shit happen when you click a button, you've got a reasonably useful prototype done in an evening or two, and the language is easy
C# with WinForms is similarly easy (any VB user should be up and running with it in minutes, it's all pleasantly familiar), and C# is a much less shitty language, but it's still less /comfy/.

Julia, because it lets me write my programs with traditional mathematical notation and symbols. Its also fast and easy, I hope it takes off as a general purpose language some day.

>indicies begin at 1
niggerlicious

Modern sepples is p comfy

it takes like five seconds to get used to it if you aren't the biggest brainlet

It feels comfy in a slightly painful way, the same way being fucked in the ass by your man while wearing thigh highs and watching netflix feels.

It was written by a Brazilian, what were you expecting? Their whole country is a jungle.

i am good with c, how to migrate to c++

perl unironically

Isn't this language already dead?

because NetBSD uses it for something called "kernel scripting"

comfy is just code for useless

this is true. the only weird thing is interacting with C APIs

shell
also C

>created to be used either as glue or as a high-level scripting language to interface mostly with low-level C code
>gets weird when interacting with C code
Top notch brazilian engineering

wow rude

Attached: kaosu.png (1293x1579, 996K)

>making excuses for poor language design
If you're smart you could handle a language where the digits are all jumbled too (e.g. 5 actually mean 3, 3 mean 7,...), but that doesn't make the language not fucking retarded.

>arrays start from 1
ahahahaha nah I'm good pal

Attached: mpv-shot0010.jpg (1600x900, 172K)

absolutely uma

Attached: uma.jpg (242x208, 8K)

K&R is a good book but is definitely not suitable as an introduction to the language. Try K. N. King's C Programming.

>numbering the first item in a table as 1 is poor language design
>comparing it to an entirely jumbled numeric order
those are some real mental gymnastics mate
it's literally just the difference between treating the index as an offset from the first element or as an ordinal, and if you can't handle that concept, you don't have any place programming

Fucking this, had to learn python and god i hate this shit, c++ is way comfier.

If you have proper arrays as list and not memory offsets, what makes you think it's reasonable to start from 0 ?

Should I learn perl

Japanese

Why do you think rulers start at 0 and the first hour of the day goes from 00:00 to 00:59?

perl advantages
>near endless expressivity
>almost no forced conventions
>easy access to system functions
>huge module collection (CPAN)
>religious references
>easy markup language
>oo or procedural
>references are explicit
>easy interface to C, both to and from perl
>good perl is more beautiful than the slickest haskell fizzbuzz with programming socks
perl disadvantages
>none

your choice user

also don't forget the best regular expression engine since grug groked his first .*

I guess it wouldn't hurt you to give it a try, but while it's indeed a very comfy language it's been, except for text processing, superseded in pretty much everything it used to excel at by other scripting languages(mostly Python)

>muh lua is bad brazil sopa de macaco
THEN WHY IS IT SO USED HUH

I dislike the language but LuaJIT's interpreter is a god damn engineering beauty.

Java is really comfy to me

Ruby is my comfylang.
I fall for Jow Forums memes like Lisp and Haskell, but I always come back to Ruby. It has expressive syntax and its object model is similar to Smalltalk's, i.e. it's good and simple and fun. I am by far the most productive with it.

I wish they adopted Lua for the web instead of this muttified Javascript

This

I wouldn't get insanely into it as it has a bit of an existential problem (5 vs 6 disaster), but I had to learn it for a job and now it's one of my favorite.

What is the comfiest first language to learn for someone with zero programming experience?

python or lua

How do those compare to Lisp?

who the fuck said anything about lisp

trips of fucking truth
perl5 is the best language ever

Attached: perl-scripts-done.jpg (600x425, 29K)

Lisp not comfy?

it's an irrelevant language

>deflates (array)lists, dictionaries and static records into one data structure
no

Attached: delet.png (411x334, 187K)

Use it to make easy cash on gullible children on Roblox paying for your micro transactions.

Python kills your way of actually organising your code.
C++ or C# all the way up.

It doesn't begin at 1, you specify the starting point. This is like Fortran, which is what was being used at Petrobras when Lua was developed. Parts of the standard library expect things to start at 1, however.

Also, there's algorithms where index-by-1 is more efficient than at 0. This is part of why you're able to do either, as you can in other languages more oriented toward mathematics.

When looping in Lua however, you typically don't specify an index start at all.

lishp

>right blend of speed and features
This, and it'll only get better in this regard with coroutines, concepts, contracts, and modules that're coming down the pipeline.

> modules already confirmed as retarded and hamstrung by the preprocessor
wew

It continues to all be downhill from C++11.

C++ because I do game dev.
we don't use oop because it's trash, which makes developping in C++ the best experience ever.
stl is slowly coming back from the dead and we start using built-in data structures more and more.

Ruby, I have used pretty much every language under the sun because I get wrapped up in their memes. But go back to Ruby each time. Currently cheating on Ruby with Elixir though.

cause the value 0 means 0 on a ruler, while 0 means 1 in an array

Lua is shit solely because some dumb fuck decided to make Lua arrays start at 1 instead of 0. What the hell? It coulda been 10/10 if not for this one fatal lapse in judgement.

Attached: 1378508251655.jpg (155x250, 10K)

baby
duck
syndrome

you sound retarded and i bet your code is absolute dogshit tier

Vb.net is fine, there's no reason to switch to c# except ideological wank.

data-driven design which is the only sane paradigm for performance-oriented development.
also my code is alright, data-driven dev is easier and more straighfroward as you lower the number of abstraction layers.

It looks ok, haven't used it. People complaining about 1 based indexing are retarded math/brain-lets though.

>data-driven design which is the only sane paradigm for performance-oriented development.
yeah you don't sound retarded, you are retarded, congrats on falling for the memes I'm sure your indie startup is going places

I like Crystal Lang.
It lacks good libraries though (for now)

ubisoft is not a start up anymore

I'm sure your AAA studio hiring memelords who think Mike Acton isn't full of shit is going places

I am also on the Julia koolaid. It's a cool language

give me links or something about why it's wrong to care about how data is sotred on your computer and why you should not care about it, especially when performances matter.

Actual vb.net user here; no, it's not fine, and compared to C# there are some really retarded downgrades for the reason of VB classic portabilty and other issues. To name a couple:
> modules autoexport their namespace
> wrong priorities regarding eager vs lazy boolean operators
> defective lambda and foreign function declaration syntax
> agressive IDE that fucks up unfinished string literals
> gimmicks like allowing typographic quotes just to fuck with other tools
And that is the best case, as far as most BASIC dialects are concerned. If you look at the timeline and even include stuff like Freebasic, QBasic, StarBasico or Gambas or whatever it is clear that the transition from "can't afford to know how to build a language" to "too brainlet to language" was seamless.
TL;DR: Dijkstra might have been a language shitposter but he was spot-on about basic.

anyone who dislikes 1 based indices is a fucking brainlet of the first caliber. there's no difficulty switching between indices, even robots can do it you fucking retards

Try Kotlin

>"if then"
Why bother with having a "then"