So...

So, my 14-year old son has a strong interest in Computer Science and Programming and I have been teaching him the basics of things like C, Data Structures and how to use Linux for the past few months. I also want to keep him away from zoomer Computer Science subjects like OOP and languages like Ruby or Python so he can naturally avoid them in the future and help him not be those retarded NodeJs developers or whatever the fuck those kinds of faggots are doing. Is there any courses or organizations that can help him continue to learn and that would accept people his age (14) and prevent him from learning retarded Computer subjects?

Attached: c_lang_book.png (1200x1276, 77K)

nope

digipen projectfun
they teach you assembly and C

>Is there any courses or organizations that can help him continue to learn and that would accept people his age (14)?
No.
Buy him a Commodore 64.

How is OOP a zoomer topic? I hope that your wife's son's father has more sense than you.

Make him learn VisualBasic or C#.

pajeet poo-ware

>vb

Attached: 1517896697631.png (698x658, 78K)

>(((Microsoft)))
no

OP can you tell me your address so I can call DCFS on you for child abuse? Making your kid learn a meme language like C and insuring he'll never get a job--that alone should be grounds for imprisonment.

he asked me to teach him "real programming" after some class he did in school

>. I also want to keep him away from zoomer Computer Science subjects like OOP and languages like Ruby or Python so he can naturally avoid them in the future and help him not be those retarded NodeJs developers or whatever the fuck those kinds of faggots are doing
In other words you don't want him to ever have a job?

confirmed trannies

Sit him down with a C++ book and force him to work through it. That’s what my father did for me at that age. The whole summer he had me read chapters until I understood concepts. Copied code from the book into the IDE and did the projects at the end of the chapter. I hated it at the time but now I’m very thankful.

Attached: C41128EA-2DD0-4986-8F39-EF0E601FE798.png (1334x898, 340K)

What are your thoughts on C vs C++ for a beginner to learn proper programming?

python and learn basic data structures. then java if you want to ease into c. then c. read the c manual. then built a basic general purpose computer in VHDL. then run your own assembly on it. Do enough to be fuckin fed up with that annoying shit and then go back to C with an appreciation of it and learn it for real. Then build a compiler for C. Then learn functional programming, and elisp so you can use (space)macs and go back to java with a focus on OOP to acquaint yourself with design patterns then maybe C++ for some big boy projects. Then build a website from scratch with jquery/html/css/php. Then do whatever you want.

C++ is unnecessarily complicated, too much stuff, all muddled up. Also OOP is not really a necessity, C is probably better

also teach him some goddamn math alongside this stuff

They don't teach anything remotely close to "real programming" in high school.

I started off with C and then moved onto x86 intel assembly programming. Once I got a solid understanding of that I moved on to C++ and see the useful tools of OOP and virtual methods/inheritance. Python is quite comfy. It's basically that but dynamically typed. Also duck typing is comfy as fuck and is what C++ tries to be in many ways.

C is good and all if you want performance but for quick and dirty solutions it's okay to use Bash or for things a wee bit more complicated python.

>Then build a website from scratch with jquery/html/css/php.

Gross. No. Build a web-application with Jquery/Python/Flask/CSS. PHP is piss old. Take it a step further and couple it with celery and MongoDB or some *SQL. for real-world applications like many corporate environments.

Yeah that's fine. A big reason for my recommending that was to use it as a vessel to learn SQL. Forgot though, since i was racing against the captcha jew.
I'd argue PHP wouldn't be a bad choice however because of how much of the internet uses it yet. Plus it writes like this weird sewn-together chimera of all the other big languages. Kinda neat.

what you're doing sounds good but i would make sure to beat him until he's unbelievable at math.

I liked learning C++. It introduces every main concept in programming.

suggest a learning path for c++ mastery.

false and homosexual

In the past fathers would teach their sons skills to pass on the knowledge. The best teacher is a Father, so keep teaching the kid OP, once they're ready, give em some challenges and don't help them.

This includes more than programming, teach them life wisdom you've learned, other general skills, how to get the girl, etc. Be the change society needs desperately, don't be lazy and ignore them, especially when they need you right now. You'll be glad you did it this way user.

Ok, so here is what he knows so far:
>syntax of c
>recursion
>pointers and memory
>binary and hex
>how to make some data structures like Linked Lists
>how to use different algorithms like Merge Sort
>he learned Java from School's CompSci class
>some Perl for stuff like webscraping
>how to use the linux terminal and git
>what Open Source is
>how to use Emacs (keybinds and other basics)
>he learned SDL on his own
>he learned Gentoo on his own too (yes, he installed it on his own)

can he do fizzbuzz?

obviously

then he's already better than 90% of compsci graduates

I kinda feel bad for this kid, I'm getting the vibe that he's missing out on important adolescent social developments. Maybe you should take him out and throw around the ole pigskin every once and a while instead of doing this nerd shit.

>recursion
>pointers and memory
great, what about lists, stack and trees?

Some very common applications are extremely difficult and lengthy to implement without using some kind of object oriented programming or functional programming. If you're a turbo fag you could start overloading your structs with pointers to functions, which is something the language was never really designed to do. Or you know... you could just using something that actually works.

based and red pilled

You could always just teach him lisp.

yes those too

should i pull out the old sicp?

>tfw not autistic enough to RP as a cuck father with a prodigy programmer son

so, time to start a project, maybe a stupid video game and make some money

maybe the son is RP as the dad to hide his age

Yee boi, get it out.

I feel like you're larping as a dad just because your zoomer 14 year old brain can't understand oop.

get fucked

>installed gentoo

Yeah OP needs to teach him the 3 pointer 3 point put put go cart bungie jumping crack stuntman keep the bass pumping what a faget

fpbp and these

Your son is 14. Get him a book. Start him out with C/C++ so he understands what is happening in the "hood". Utilize c++ reference sits for in-depth study. Get him used to reading C++ documentation. Then teach him some assembly; use something likes MIPS x86. So it's easy for younger kids. Then try Java. Easy to use graphical library. Don't start out with other gay languages that utilize large number of libraries to do everything. If he wants to learn Python. Slap some sense into him.

> I want to turn my son into an absolute retard by teaching him C
What great parenting.

Do not keep him away from all the "zoomer" bullshit. Just make sure he learns what's important first

You are doing it the wrong way entirely. Have him read SICP.

Or let him do what he wants to do. Forcing shit on kids is the easiest way to make them resent you.

Give him an Amiga 500 and point him to scoopex asm tutorial @ youtube.

If you seriously believe that C++ and OOP is "complicated", you have no business being a CS major or programming in general.

you're a good father

Give him an OS book.

If he is high autistic lvl
Just show him the c docomuntation and let him figure it all by himself

t. brainlet webdev

You should teach your son NodeJS otherwise you are doing a disservice to him. Noone cares about C. Join the JS masterrace

cringe

Summer's coming up. Find a computer camp in your area. My daughter goes every summer and she loves it. Yes, they use Python, but at that age it's more about understanding concepts. You can go full-autist on him about language choice when he's in college.

Attached: y7btzfr8l8c11.jpg (680x777, 100K)

By then it will be too late. His father is criminally retarded and won't even know what a good school resembles.

Force him to read The Art Of Computer Programming in full

If everything you are saying is true, then the spell was already casted upon him. 14yr old that enjoyed not only conding in C but to install gentoo on his own, he'll propably become a Wizard no matter what you teach him - unless you somehow fuck his head up. 14yrs old these days can't be interested in nothing but js and Python.
Your son is an authist btw.

this

almost everyone I know (we're all comp sci students), save a couple, can do fizzbuzz with ease.

you and your son sound like total fucking faggots.

Thank you, do you guys have any ways to help him in his "autistic" endeavors

Yeah, i tried that. There aren't many of those computer camps in my area. And the ones that do exist are for things like classes that only teach only the basic syntax of Python or how to make games in Scratch.

What you could probably do is teach him something like Lisp or assembly and make him become a Full Wizard.

But for now, keep teaching him C and eventually C++ and lets ser How Far he goes.

>C
>installed gentoo on his own
>SDL

You might as well push him right on down the wizardry path and teach him Lisp. At least if he ends up needing to learn zoomer Python shit, it'll be that much easier for him.

>son is an autist
>th-thank you

what a fucking cuck lol

Teach him about networking and networking/cyber security.

Also limit his use of the computer for 1 hour a day.

yes do this if you want to turn him into the next bill gates
good advice

Fine be a massive faggot with no prospects enjoy your dead language

>turning him into a 14 year old boomer

well he does play Quake

teach him Haskell

Maybe get him started on C++? It's probably as close as you can get to "real programming". As much as you appear to despise OOP, they will at least need to know the basics of it to get a job in the future.

If you son is only learning programming at 14, and learning it from you, the "real" means writing a program that isn't a hello world or basic arithmetic, not your byzantine standards for what counts as true or valid computer science.

>how to use Emacs
Should probably
take that boy to a whorehouse

Attached: barry_corbin_no_country_for_old_men.jpg (844x487, 82K)

>some kind of object oriented programming
You mean giving the objects methods?
Or do you mean building a towering pyramid of class hierarchies?

It’s a smart 14-year-old who does not want to admit he is 14–so he is role playing as a cuck father.

I started learning Python 2 at age 12. I moved to C at 13. I started used emacs at 14. I am now self-employed, and rich. I have also never touched a girl—apart from shaking their hands.

14 is too young. I’m very successful but fucking miserable. I would trade anything to experience young love and to actually have a childhood.

dont you get banned if you are under 18

Actual programmers of Jow Forums, when did you start programming? I’m not talking about taking a computer science in High School—I’m talking about buying a programming book and working though it. Also where are you now? Has beginning programming at a young age helped you?

Attached: B1DB8787-3B3C-415F-9667-53AFC88BB611.jpg (900x531, 198K)

>C++ and OOP are too complicated
this is what cnile brainlets ACTUALLY believe.

Were streams too hard for you? lmao

This

Python and JS meme stacks have their place and are useful for actually getting stuff done. But you'll be a shit developer if you don't get good at C/C++ and ASM first.

Attached: 1540464427294.jpg (427x427, 21K)

Autism is hardly an insult around these parts.
One can learn a lot more after C - C is a good starting block and is still used extensively today.
I started C++ at 11 or 12 and it was too young to try and self teach myself that. I paid too much mind to autists ragging on C# at the time. Plus I had analysis paralysis and all sorts of things I couldn't easily realise back then.

>keep him away from OOP
Nigger, it's got upsides and downsides like everything. You're disadvantaging him since everyone else will know it and he won't.

Took two programming classes in high school but honestly thought I'd end up in IT since I never tried particularly hard or demonstrated any real aptitude for it. Went to a mediocre college for it and learned essentially nothing for a couple years. Had to write a compiler senior year that taught me a lot. Got an on-campus job for the CS dept that made me learn to use and develop on Linux. Got a job doing .NET consulting. Had a couple months bored with no work and started really teaching myself stuff. Learned as much as possible about the tech stack I was working in and also read most of TAOCP. Quit that job and now have a fantastic job in Scala.

Long story short I probably started taking it seriously at about 24.

You should start teaching him about the art (yes, art) of design. Without it he'll be writing nothing but spaghetti no matter what language he uses.
Teach him what ModelViewController is and why some grasp of English (word choice) is still needed to write an internal api. Because you'll be using it a lot and they won't be teaching that until college.
Also C++.