Does defragmentating your drive actually improve anything in a significant and noticable way?

Does defragmentating your drive actually improve anything in a significant and noticable way?

Attached: RealisticSimpleBlackfly-mobile.jpg (640x480, 74K)

Other urls found in this thread:

files.diskeeper.com/pdf/ImpactofDiskFragmentation.pdf
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Only if it's fragmented. Current NTFS got quite a bit better at not spraying files around like a complete retard though. Doesn't matter when it comes to SSDs.

Okay lets say it is fragmented heavily. What does it improve? Read speeds? Write speeds? Daily usage?

Yes, Yes and Yes.
Defragging results in the head not having to move all over the platters to piece a file together.

I understand that but how significantly does it actually improve things? Has anyone tested it somewhere?

The more scattered data is across a hard drive, the longer the drive will take to move the headers around to access all of it, both for read and for write procedures. If all the data fragments for one file are in one place it can be accessed much quicker. I can't remember which Windows introduced automated background defragmentation, whether it was Vista or 7, but it made it far less of an issue. Back in the olden days of XP or even older Windows you had to defrag your hard drive regularly, say every couple months. Ever since I've switched to Windows 7 I've never even once defragged my storage drive, Windows keeps it somewhat in order in the background.

It varies by drive speed and level of fragmentation. Are you looking for precise numbers or percentages or something? If so, for what purpose? What conclusion are you trying to reach beyond "yes, defragmentation is useful"?

Well to be quite honest I recently got a degragging software and even though I'm using windows 10 the drive was fragmented like hell. Something like 50% fragmentation

It groups data together so the read/write heads have to move around less to to do their job.
So it improves pretty much everything, read speed is the most noticeable though, typically.

Pure curiosity but also I wonder if defragging my 2tb drive and the time it takes is worth it. Because it shows heavy fragmentation.

It might be lying to you or use some weird metric that doesn't actually mean anything.
Name of that software?

Is that drive purely storage? Because I wouldn't bother in that case.

yes it allows your malware to run much more efficiently

did you defrag your ssd or something

I found this paper on it:
files.diskeeper.com/pdf/ImpactofDiskFragmentation.pdf
Should be what you're looking for.

Storage and boot, divided by 2 partitions.

O&O Defrag

Nope, I don't own an SSD

Yeah O&O explains that to some degree. Or at least from what I remember, haven't used that in a long time, but I think it works from a different set of ideas about what's "fragmented" than the windows build in one. It's not bad, just a bit overenthusiastic I guess. Worth a shot, just go for the regular defrag option and none of the fancy ones that rearrange everything, those are for special purposes and also stress your HDD more than it's worth.
Just prepare to wait for a relatively long time and it's generally best if you don't do anything with that HDD in the meanwhile.

>Doesn't matter when it comes to SSDs.

Not true, fragmentation decreases write speeds since the drive will have to deal with read-cache-delete-then-write to empty block more often than write to empty block.

That is, if fragmentation also spreads the data over your drive. So it's not fragmentation itself that makes SSDs slower, but the fact that you don't have contiguous free space.

However most defrag utils consolidate free space, so I just put the problem in the same umbrella.

Yes, I notice a bit faster startup after defragging a freshly installed OS

Windows does some defragging but it's sometimes advised to desactivate this automatic defragging; you get some wear to your ssd with windows defragging it too and some programs gives better options and control

>It groups data together so the read/write heads have to move around less to to do their job.
>So it improves pretty much everything, read speed is the most noticeable though, typically.
Sata read sheduling reduce this problem by reordering read commands, somewhat reducing fragmentation effect on read speed . It improve multitasking access when multiple files are read and/or written at the same time.

>Current NTFS got quite a bit better at not spraying files around like a complete retard though.
ntfs hasn't changed. windows 10 utilizes disk differently.

Windows started measuring defrag as 100% as long as the spread out chunks of a file were larger than around 6mb, in order to make defragging faster/less painful. Most aftermarket defraggers that don't just call on microsofts program/libraries do a full/true defrag to get files to 100% contiguous or as close a possible.

Yes defragging helps quite a bit. It used to be, and probably still is, helpful to defrag newly installed/copied programs if they were large because the initial writes would not be contiguous.

Does windows have something similar to extends?

LVM? Yes they have what's called dynamic disks but since you can shrink and expand your partition and you don't have half a dozen mounts it's not recommended really.

instead of
/var
/opt
/usr
/swap
/

etc you have
C:\

Also, extending linux partitions feels like a gamble that could go belly up next reboot whereas in Windows it's literally:
>right click
>extend

>Does defragmentating your drive actually improve anything in a significant and noticable way?

For SSDs, fuck no.
For mechanical HDDs, yes:
A disk has a fundamental bandwidth limit determined by the linear bit density on the platters and the rotational speed. Simply, you can get XXX MB/s if the read head is just surfing along. Every time the read head needs to move to another long linear read, it takes time to move the arm and for the right sector to rotate into place. This might take ~1/100s, which means that for a HDD with a max 150 MB/s linear read limit, you lose 1.5 MB of transfer potential. For reading/copying larger files or searching through lots of directory entries or whatever, you clearly want to be able to have reads on HDDs in as many large chunks as possible, so you don't lose ~1% of your max throughput every time an unnecessary fragment boundary is hit.

Sounds like somebody never used a windows older than XP.

Yes fragmentation would slow down everything massively and then you would need to defragment to get back that system responsiveness.

Final thought. PowerShell method to increase C:\ to the maximum size.
Update-HostStorageCache # Rescan disks / required when hot-adding an extension to a disk for a VM.
Resize-Partition -DriveLetter C -Size (Get-PartitionSupportedSize -DriveLetter C) # Extend C:\ to maximum size

>t. zoomer
It makes an absolutely massive difference. You don't see it because all modern OSs either use fragmentation resistant file systems, or defragment automatically. I haven't needed to manually defrag anything since Vista.
The true solution is to just use an SSD for scratch storage since the random IO and iops is so absurdly high compared to spinning disks that fragmentation almost doesn't matter.

No, you should not defragment a SSD anyways.
HDD? Sure, but your file server already uses non fragmented filesystems, I'm sure.

Attached: 1551535297898.jpg (352x345, 18K)

Windows is trash in lots of ways, but for admin shit like this it's really nice to know you won't fuck anything up by clicking in the GUI.

>windows 10 utilizes disk differently.
Fucking finally. Linux has been doing this for ages

*An SSD

And some of us us SSDs with HDD for storage

SSD firmware handles physical layout itself, you can't force it to write to specific block unlike HDDs

yeah, ext4 spreads files across the whole disk if i'm not mistaken. i guess windows 10 does something similar now.

on spinning rust, yes. on ssd? no.
complete fucking horseshit. defragging an ssd is completely fucking pointless and shortens its lifespan. people that are defragging their ssd are retarded. are you the kind of retarded spastic that defrags usb sticks too?
>or defragment automatically
which i find is the number one cause of a ssd hard disk failures on windows.

> windows 10 utilizes disk differently.
just doesn't, faggot.

Windows doesn't auto defrag SSDs by default. You can turn it on if you're retarded though.

>ssd hard disk
Quit trying to cosplay as someone who knows tech. Also normies aren't going to go in and force defragging for their SSDs. Windows does not defrag SSDs by default.

Yes. Run a speed test on your drive. You'll quickly see that sequential reads are much, much better performing.