Literally no excuse to keep using HDDs now

Literally no excuse to keep using HDDs now.

Attached: EYMWOwmw.jpg (920x608, 300K)

>QLC
They finally managed to create SSDs that will stop working before HDDs
It's funny how reality is catching up to the memes

do you have anything to back up this claim?

Yeah, it's called QLC

yes, it stands for quad level cell
what of it?

> He doesn't know about tiered storage...

>stands for quad level cell
yes it does and it is the reason why they will die before the average HDD
This is the last time I help you bump this thread
you're on your own now

you still haven't provided a single argument for your claims

Attached: MicronNANDEndurance-1.jpg (1429x758, 151K)

Attached: you did nothing.png (326x643, 225K)

U onky have 1 m.2 sloy and its populated by a 1tb 970 evo

where is it stated that qlc stops working before HDDs?

What does samsung use?

>posting on a technology board without understanding technology
>"why won't people explain the most basic shit to me?"
Also stop spamming

This is quite an ironic post because your remarks regarding qlm paint you as a man who doesn't know much about technology at all.

if it's cheap it's QLC shit
What is QLM?

>SSD technology is supposed to improve over time
>QLC
>Slower and dies faster
And it's beautiful

Literally get 2TB instead of 10TB + spare cash.

Yes, because at 4x the price, and in a form-factor that doesn't work in servers, this uncompetitive garbage is totally the best option for bulk storage.

Thanks for the non-answer

>1 third of the cycles of the already not so great TLC
This shit only makes sense if you're not going to actively use and just store shit long term
But that doesn't work either because if you leave the SSD unpluggled for too long you'll lose data
QLC makes no sense

you're grossly underestimating the endurace of modern tlc, and with it, qlc

I answered the samsung question
if you're the qlm guy I asked you a question
what is qlm?

>But that doesn't work either because if you leave the SSD unpluggled for too long you'll lose data
I've heard this said many times without proof. My cheap Sandisk SSD has been left unplugged for months at a time without shit happening to the files on it. Fuck off with your luddite boomer memes

>modern tlc
as opposed to old school tlc
what the fuck are you talking about retard?

1k Cycles
It's right there stated by the companies that make those things
That means 1.78 Petabytes of writes if you ignore writing amplification completely which would me just moving files to it and storing it there.
If you actually decide to use the thing to idk download movies, games or whatever you're looking at a massive writing amplification which would reduce that lifespan of these even further
This is a product that does no make sense to anybody.
Either get a decent SSD or just buy 4 HDDs for the price of one of these QLC SSDs

Just get a cheap TLC SATA SSD for storage. Not this cheap QLC crap.

Attached: Laughing Whore.jpg (762x900, 161K)

just about to pull the trigger g/uys, tell me why i shouldn't putt this is my Z170XP-SLI-CF (U3E1) Mobo

Attached: snips.png (1702x414, 203K)

overpriced by 50%

>ITT Intel damage control over not being able to convince Jow Forumsentomans with its QLC crap
LMAO, this is how desperate they are.

>Schizo luddite boomer memes
Lol

Attached: 1548034014029.png (659x628, 352K)

>werks for me

As the density of the cell increases, the cost per gigabyte (GB) of the SSD declines. However, the endurance and the reliability of the SSD are also lower, as the increased cell density also increases cell write counts, lowering overall reliability and increasing likelihood of earlier failure. QLC is now 1% the reliability of 1st gen SSD's. Hows that for progress?
>tldr, QLC SSDs = bigger, cheaper, newer - but not for very long

HDD will always be king for bulk storage. I don't see 8TB+ SSD's anytime soon and defiantly not as cheap as 8TB HDD is now. Long live SATA.

Hell the sata 6 Gbps is fast enough for pretty much anything. By comparison your lan is limited by a "puny" 1 Gbps link max.

You can get 5x the storage for the same price as that 2TB. SSD is still only best for OS/apps and not storage

I'm VERY curious about something Jow Forums: I have an old AMD laptop with a 500GB 5400 RPM HDD which doesn't even clock 0.5MB/s in random 4K and barely 70MB/s sequential.

I personally still find SSDs overpriced BUT is there like an adapter that can run an SD card and interlink with the SATA protocol to bypass the USB 2.0 performance. Because I have a 128GB SD card that can do 2MB/s random 4K through a USB 3.0 adapter that I can use.

i have 4 out of 6 SATA slots occupied and installing one of these will ruin my RAID1 array in slots 0/1 and i don't have the autism or need to fix it.

how much of a difference will i notice between the two?

Attached: Capture.png (1778x641, 282K)

Not the guy your replying to, but out of curiosity how much data can your average HDD withstand over its life? All the lifetime info on HDD is usually in hours/months/years/etc instead of writes because of the hardware differences so I'm curious how they compare.

Why not just buy a cheap 64-120gb ssd for the laptop and keep the HDD in for storage? Or even just pick up a 7200RPM drive for it? Trying to use an SD card over an HDD sounds like a recipe for disaster.

>QLC

Attached: sequential read.png (445x472, 138K)

$110 literally gets me a 5TB 2.5" HDD.

Nigga who gives a fuck, I require at least 3.5 TB for all my installs and working library that will prolly change very little in years, I'll just keep my current HDDs and maybe buy a new 12TB one
Those SSDs I currently have are already 5 years old and I can still write stuff onto them, I write stuff on them that little

Attached: drives.png (1220x214, 24K)

$149 for a 8TB HDD that will easily last 10 years with 150MB/s write speeds.
- or -
$219 for a 2TB QLC SSD that won't even hold data if powered off for a few weeks, 85MB/s write speeds and 200 write cycle durability.

You got to be an absolute fucking retard to buy an SSD over a HDD.

>intel

Micron's latest 2TB QLC SSD only has 400TB of endurance, which is about 200 write cycles, retard.

10 TB SSD for $140 where?

People like you told me my SSD would be dead pretty quickly

Still going for 7 years

My samshit only lasted 6 months, I swore to never buy one of these memesd drives ever again.

SLC in the 983 ZET
MLC in 860/970 Pro
TLC in 860/970 Evo
QLC in 860 Qvo

you forgot to wash it. those amazon cardboard boxes dirty up the SSD quite a lot. warm water will do.

>my 1tb ssd will die in 8 years :((((

Nigga who doesn't replace their PC by then

>My samshit only lasted 6 months
And then you had it warranty replaced?

Thanks senpai

My first HDD lasted 3 months before it head crashed.
Shit happens, but it's not common.

holy shit that image fits perfectly

Attached: 1547906253954.png (420x420, 380K)

everybody you rich cunt

>SLC in the 983 ZET
Was not aware of this model.

>$2000 for a 1 TB SSD
Wow, buddy. Does it suck my cock too?

It's SLC. That's the price for it.

My system is 12 years old and I'll probably still be using it in 2025. Regardless, there's no excuse for buying shitty unreliable storage even if you make regular backups.

970 Evo Plus is also TLC

i do not have an M.2 port

next year

QLC is the same type as cheap zip disquette

HDD's can still be had for cheaper per GB. Which is weird since ssds are cheaper to manufacture than mechanical hard drives.

Already on the SSD train, never looking back.

Not only do HDD's suck at resisting impact, they just aren't fast enough either.

>Not only do HDD's suck at resisting impact, they just aren't fast enough either.
Speed, and impact resistance aren't really the main selling points of mechanical hard drives though. They are more about write/rewrite endurance, and cost per gigabyte.

Why should I buy this garbage when I could keep buying 1tb 970 pro sdd instead?

because 1tb is not enough dummy

>11ยข/GB

it will die a lot faster than that and I have quite a few 10y old HDDs that are still working fine without a single bad sector.
It's a desktop not a laptop or a phone. You're not suppose to discard the entire thing after a few years

How do you know how fast will it die?

because you can make an accurate estimation based on your daily usage
why doesn't anybody understand technology here?

Then please do share your calculations.

>Not only do HDD's suck at resisting impact
I have got pretty good at resisting the urge to throw around my desktop so I've eliminated impact as a concern.

>they just aren't fast enough either
you're in for quite a surprise with QLC

Bad idea, I've done that using cheap micro SD cards in raid. Windows 10 would crawl and I dropped the project. I came back half a year later and it wouldn't boot because some startup files where missing. Just get a 120gb SSD for a boot drive. A cheap one is $30 now.

I do around 500GB of writes per day on my HDD. Most of that is from bittorrent activity. Even if I consider a write amplification of less than 1.5, which is really low for my type of use, the thing is still dying after only 3 years and a half.
That's worse than bargain bin green drives from WD or seagate

Attached: 1538342712590.jpg (480x480, 38K)

Call me back when I have buy 4TB SSD's for $54.

This isn't a problem if you're not a poorfag and back shit up like you're supposed to.
ITT: T.nigger

>I do around 500GB of writes per day on my HDD
How typical do you think is such amount per day for an average user? Your write amp figures are also way off but whatever.

>How typical do you think is such amount per day for an average user?
How is that relevant for me? Or anybody here?

>Your write amp figures are also way off but whatever.
Yes they are way too low. Even my SSD which I use exclusively for games is close to 2x.
Torrenting on a SSD would result on something much much higher.

For the price of single 2TB QLC I can buy 4 2TB HDDs. Put 3 of them on a raid 5 and keep one handy in case any of them fail.
And the best part about it is that I will enjoy faster sequential read speeds with an HDD setup too

>buying refurbed drives

I have 24x refurbs in raid10. They have been running 24/7 for 3 years now. 0 problems.

If one dies, I just pay $50 for another one with 0 data loss. If you're using SSD's for storage, you're either rich, or a retard.

>He thinks 3 years is an achievement

Lmao

Attached: FB_IMG_1551626466298.jpg (540x600, 39K)

I didn't say it was an achievement. that's just when I bought them. I'm fully expecting them to last 10 years.

I've had brand new HDD's die within 2 years of ownership. Buying them new isn't going to somehow guarantee it'll last longer. The only benefit to buying new HDD's is for the warranty. I don't trust any company to withhold their warranty, so refurb is the ideal choice for me.

when 500GB SSDs match the price of 500GB HDDs it's gonna be over. My bet: July this year.