Is this objectively the best keyboard layout?

is this objectively the best keyboard layout?

Attached: cm.png (672x181, 80K)

Other urls found in this thread:

shenafu.com/code/keyboard/beakl/index.php
mkweb.bcgsc.ca/carpalx/?full_optimization
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Workman.

why?

colemak is

whats wrong with qwerty?

Autists feel it's more work to type in a QWERTY keyboard

RSI

too mainstream

It was literally made to be inefficient (typewriters wouldn't print letters if you typed to fast or something). Qwerty is just a carryover from that era

How hard it is to learn new layout?
When learned is it hard to type on qwerty?

the home row has j, k, and semicolon which are some of the rarest letters used in english

the hard part is finding the right one to learn without first spending a bunch of time learning it only to discover flaws when typing at full speed.

Get a split keyboard and start lifting

i can lift the keyboard i have just fine thanks

Any recommendations?

Doesn't even have all the letters I need.
0/10

colemark dh mod

>home row
ONONONONONO
home row is not a thing. Nobody rests their fingers on a keyboard on a fucking row.

No? Lol

I type 135wpm and I use home row.

>It was literally made to be inefficient (typewriters wouldn't print letters if you typed to fast or something). Qwerty is just a carryover from that era
Damn zoomers have never even seen a typewriter. It's not that "it wouldn't print letters idk" but the sticks that move will get stuck to each other if you press keys too fast that have their sticks right next to each other. They move in an angle so every character ends in the same spot even when they start from very different places, meaning that any key can get stuck but due to the angle keys next to each other touch longer. You then have to use your hands to carefully release the sticks from each other and continue typing slower so the previous stick has time to return to its place, or at least somewhat out of the way.

I would switch to an alternate layout but muscle memory with hotkeys prevents me from switching.

remap the hotkeys

fuck me

Attached: cm2.png (1385x1195, 153K)

>he doesn't switch his friends' phone keyboards with dvorak to fuck with them

Attached: ).jpg (259x194, 7K)

already getting better

Attached: cm3.png (1205x1192, 177K)

You ever heard of not fixing things that are not broken

Workman or Colemak? I'm learning towards Colemak for its ease of learning, but I hear Workman tries to minimize the use of the pinky finger, and as someone who has an extremely weak pinky finger (when I game competitively, I immediately unmap all important keys from the left end of the keyboard. for example, crouch is F instead of SHIFT. my ring finger has also largely replaced my pinky finger when I type) I would really appreciate that.

Nice blog post faggot

Answer the question nigger

QWERTY, Dvorak, or Colemak?

More effort than it would be worth I'm afraid.

it's not because colemak is "qwerty-centric"

Dvorak

Attached: 11932981423.png (583x720, 273K)

The CHAD dvorak
vs
the virgin qwerty

Attached: dvorak.png (1200x400, 20K)

>dvorak
you mean ',.pyf

What is the difference between dvorak and colemak?

colemarks made for human beings

colemak is half-assed dvorak for people coming from qwerty

colemak is for lazy virgins who can't go cold turkey for a week to learn a new layout

Dvorak is for pinky Chads who want to be as efficient as possible and love a challenge

>colemak is half-assed dvorak for people coming from qwerty

Okay so dvoral is the real deal... What makes dvorak easier and faster to type with vs. QWERTY

there's a dude who has weak pinkies that made a layout
shenafu.com/code/keyboard/beakl/index.php

Literally nothing.

wrong

Attached: cole.png (1659x78, 11K)

people are hostile to dvorak users because it takes time and effort to learn it

all those analyzers are biased. I don't use either layout

Is that source unbiased? ....so colemak is better..?

No.

mkweb.bcgsc.ca/carpalx/?full_optimization

yes

pretty much all layouts are more comfortable than qwerty and the improvements they each make compared to each other are negligible. colemak is one of the easiest layouts to transition to because it's qwerty with keys moved to more optimal positions while trying to keep them as close to their original position as possible. go with colemak and if you have any issues with it shop for something else

Keyboard layouts can be mathematically compared, so whether or not you consider it biased depends on whether or not the algorithm applies to your use-case.

You basically start by assigning relative "effort" to each key on the board - home row with index and middle finger are least effort, for example.

You then get a word dictionary that includes relative frequency of words - if you want the best layout for writing english essays for example, you need to know the relative frequency different words appear.

You then run a script through the process, calcuating the "cost" of each word in the dictionary - assigning penalties to the effort for certain key patterns (such as two keys in a row using the same finger, or for needing key-combinations like shift+6).

This will give you a mathematical 'effort score' for a given keyboard layout using a given dictionary. You could then easily compare different layouts on the same dictionary, or the same layout on different dictionaries.

Obviously, writing French and writing English might have different 'optimal' keyboard layouts, just like programming C might have a different optimal layout than writing English, due to the relative frequency of different characters. (a programming layout would give higher priority to non-alpha characters, for example). The optimal layout depends on use-case.

For most people, QWERTY is optimal not because it is actually optimal, it's optimal because it is the standard and when I use someone else's laptop/computer (which I do on a daily basis), I need to be able to type.