/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.

Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources.

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine.
1) Use a live image and to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

Resources: Please spend at least a minute to check a web search engine with your question.
*Many free software projects have active mailing lists.

$ man %command%
$ info %command%
$ %command% -h/--help
$ help %builtin/keyword%

Don't know what to look for?
$ apropos %something%

Check the Wikis (most troubleshoots work for all distros):
wiki.archlinux.org
wiki.gentoo.org

Jow Forums's Wiki on GNU/Linux:
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux

>What distro should I choose?
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux
>What are some cool programs?
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/list_of_applications
directory.fsf.org/wiki/Main_Page
>What are some cool terminal commands?
commandlinefu.com/
cheat.sh/
>Where can I learn the command line?
mywiki.wooledge.org/BashGuide
grymoire.com/Unix/
>Where can I learn more about Free Software?
gnu.org/philosophy/philosophy.html
>How to break out of the botnet?
prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux

/fglt/'s website and copypasta collection:
fglt.nl && p.teknik.io/wJ9Zy

/t/'s GNU/Linux Games: Previous thread:

Attached: 1528922844945.png (602x500, 25K)

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Recursive_acronym
amdgpu-install.readthedocs.io/en/latest/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

what's your favorite GNU/regex?

Attached: regex.png (966x189, 3K)

I wonder if there's a database of all Linux software name abbreviations, initialisms and recursive acronyms, where it's explained what they mean?

Attached: Despite the fact that they are obviously grilled.png (500x775, 329K)

grep

dnscrypt-proxy is nonworking. systemctl log file here:
any ideas?
google isn't helpful today.

Does the Steam Proton package in the AUR work well? I'm considering switching to an Arch-based distro just to use it because I can't figure out how to compile it in Debian

Google is the opposite of helpful.

>there's a problem
>switch distro
Why is this a popular thing?

well for me at least the aur would make things a lot easier and it doesn't work on other distros

I've been using i3 + Polybar for year+ now, I'm moving to bspwm now and I want to change my bar, is there something better than polybar?

Attached: yh8rt-king-arthur-statue-metal-cliffs-1.jpg (700x933, 346K)

Nobody wants to keep fixing shit.

In that user's case I may recommend switching away from Debian regardless just because apt is such garbage. Nobody should put themselves through having to maintain a system that uses that shit.

Stupid question: what's the primary difference between Debian and Fedora? Which is superior?

idk, but there's a bunch listed here en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Recursive_acronym

fedora is more desktop oriented, debian (stable) is more conservative with the versions and packages they take. debian testing or sid makes an okay desktop OS. it's six of one imo but Fedora is doing some cool shit like shipping with wayland, so i'd keep an eye on them. probably if you don't know enough about them to be asking use fedora

Gee, you could learn something.

Install Debian. One of the first distros, huge community, huge package base.

>considering arch
Yikes.

READ.
YOUR.
ERROR.
MESSAGE.

Stop yelling.

Its a mess and you dont need it. Just install steam,opt in to the beta,you may or may not have to restart the client, then go to "steam play" and turn it on and turn on for other titles and pick the latest beta. You may have to reboot again

Stop wasting both of our times and read your fucking error message, it LITERALLY tells you what you need to do

steam is botnet though

You just used 2 botnets to make that post...
The aur package was never fixed and its a fucking mess.

grep

might as well just use Windows 10 with that logic
is the AUR package worse than actually building from the git page or the same?

OK guys I ve finally decided to abandon DEs and switch to tiling WM.
What would you recommend for a noob like me?
I currently have i3 and awesome installed and I really can't decide which one to use. I like them both.
What are their pros and cons?

What logic?
You claim steam is a "botnet" yet it has zero characteristics of a botnet.
You do not have to use the browser, you do not have to give them your credit card information. If you use it as a game client and only a game client, getting keys from other websites, entirely blocking steam marketplace its self, there is NOTHING that makes it a botnet
Do you even understand what a fucking botnet is kid or are you just using big words yo usee thrown around in teh pcbg thread?
Suck a dick

>aur package
Go read the comments that have been left unanswered since last year.
>git
Unless you know how to package it properly(you dont) the git package wont do anything for you

it's a proprietary client with an EULA by a big company, there's no doubt it's collecting usage information when you run a game through it

dwm

>there's no doubt
Then show me, without a doubt, any such data logging. Since it is SO OBVIOUS that they are, you should have no problem showing me such a feat, right?
Again you just used 2 literal botnets and executed non free javascript on your browser to make all these posts.
Why dont you practice what you preach and fuck off

It turns out that not only is piping find to grep faster than using find --regex, piping it to 2 greps is faster.
Test it you're self if you don't believe it.

freetards btfo

i3 is fine
dont do this you have to compile from source for each change, its not noob friendly

How is GulxSD? I was in Riot's Linux room and someone was saying it even beter then Gentoo.

I understand how thay both feel.
personally I would rather deal with sand boxing Steam on Gnu/Linux then running Win 10 and risking it looking at my personnel files or fucking up my real os.

Attached: __kawashiro_nitori_touhou_drawn_by_mumulatte__da3c95396d53d9c435f34ed087bb5651.jpg (748x1102, 431K)

yes I know.
don't really need to compile from source because its on aur but still I'm gonna put off using dwm until I am more experienced and know c.
i3 it is then.
the only thing I liked more about awesome was you could change workspace with mod + arrows
but in i3 you have to press mod and a number

I have my desktop PC with Windows dedicated only for gaymen even if I haven't done that in 2 years, and everything else I do on my laptop. It's a comfy way to set things if you're into gaymen.

read the manual and look at existing templates to see how they do things
i found it confusing at first (i am pea brain and never really learned pkgbuilds or ebuilds) but i just kept trying
looking at issues and pull requests can also tell you what commonly goes wrong with templates
>you never know when you're going to find cool new programs that aren't on there yet
you could also just submit a package request

can wine + dxvk replace my windows machine?

You've provided an absolute wealth of information that tells us everything we need to know to give you an answer, so I can definitively say "maybe".

No, any game that uses "anti-cheat" software(many mmo's, battle royale games etc) dont work and will 99.9999% chance get you banned if you try.

what about adobe suite

Not him, but if there's one thing that linux distros are notorious for then its breaking/incompatible shit that can take forever to fix IF you can fix it at all and not just find a work around, while other distros work out of the box.

I had the very thing happening with xubuntu fucking up my laptop's power managent and essentially freezing up anytime the screen went black. All fixes that were offered weren't working and even other DE's didn't work.

Switching distro to LM worked perfectly without any tampering.

Convince me to make the switch to Linux:
1) I used to use Linux, but I stopped about 6 months ago as it got too complicated and buggy for me (I also wanted to game)
2) I want to use GNOME, but its functionality is garbage. I want to use KDE, but its aesthetics are buggy and ugly
3) I won't dual-boot. If I dual-boot, I might as well just use Windows, as I never boot Linux in a dual-boot
4) The CoC
5) There is no distro that really suits me. I want to use something popular so that I have support (no niche distros). I might be interested in Arch, but I'm very autistic about silent boot/shutdown. No Gentoo. I don't want to use Ubuntu as Canonical is shady as hell and I do not trust them. Linux Mint is adware. I do not want to use Fedora as its commitment to free software is garbage as I use an NVIDIA GPU and need to use proprietary software and drivers. I'm open to OpenSuse, but I've had a bad experience with installation and refusal to boot, so I will be very cautious. I'd prefer to have a GUI package manager, so I'm also not that interested in Debian. I'm not sure there is a distro that suits me.

Attached: question.png (741x568, 29K)

Literally the only reason to use Windows is if you want to play artificial academy 2 and enable the homosex mod and then uncensor you partners penis during h scenes

Are there GUI package managers that aren't awful? I think the best I've seen is stuff that just emulates "app store experiences" and hides dependencies just to show you walls of crap programs you'd never install anyway.

can confirm, i keep a windows installation around for this exact purpose

I'm going fucking crazy here with Virtualbox.

I'm trying to make a Win10 VM find my USB stick and initially, it worked fine. Then I unplugged it, and now it refuses to accept it. The VM even makes the "usb device connected" sound, but the device manager shows it with a little warning sign and the status says
>Device cannot be started (Code 10)
I looked at the device events and there's literally no difference between the configuration events of plugging it in the first and second time. Just that since the second time it always shows an error...

Has anyone had some experience with this shit?

Attached: old as fuck gif of yuri being annoyed.gif (245x254, 993K)

Fedora would suit you just fine. Their commitment to FOSS is easily solved by adding the RPM Fusion software repository, which adds non-free software. I don’t know anyone who runs Fedora without it.

Try opensuse, is sort on the middle, but i also don't use linux since the coc shit, might has well use windows

based on your points its hard to convince you desu.
sounds like linux just isnt for you.

pure linux is mainly for two people
>nerds
>THAT kid who wants to be different(and rice the shit out of his system)
there's a reason why most linux guide's first action is to explain how to dual boot: because thats what 90% of people do.
especially if you wanna game, then there's even more reason to stay away, no matter how many anons will tell you that THEIR games work, gaming support in linux is still shit. less shit than it was, but still shit

Did the CoC add botnet functionality to all Linux distributions? I must have missed something

>coc is a dealbreaker.

Attached: 1339550542744.jpg (894x801, 123K)

>i also don't use linux since the coc shit
good riddance

Attached: 12Untitled.png (341x357, 236K)

Anyone here get any Red Hat Certifications like RHCSA or RHCE. Are they worth it for a job

>I want to use something popular
>I don't want to use Ubuntu as Canonical is shady as hell and I do not trust them.
>Linux Mint is adware
>Fedora is garbage
>I'm very autistic
You dont say...

its a CIA nigger plant, now they can insert whatever they want and shield themselves and also ruin the kernel slowly (why do you think the 5.0 is getting ridiculously bad performance, see phoronix)

you will never be a woman

Red Hat is NSA botnet. Also linux coc.
I learned these things on Jow Forums.

>but if there's one thing that linux distros are notorious for then its breaking/incompatible shit that can take forever to fix IF you can fix it at all and not just find a work around
You could not be farther from the true for any distro you want to name.
>when an issue arised from an update, instead of rolling back the updates and freezing them or restoring to a previous backup you made before you updated, i went FULL RETARD and switched to a new distro
Can you not understand how fucking retarded you are?
Why dont you just switch back to windows and never fucking post here again with your moth vomit

Linux 5.0 is slower than expected because of the code of conduct?
I did not know that.
>And here I thought it was the Jews.

What is the best (handles magnet uri, notifications are a must) Transmission interface? I have been using tranmission-gtk, however, that is limited to an Xsession. I will be using it on xfce, for reference, but am not opposed to QT applications whatsover.

imagine being this butthurt over someone saying how it is

>when an issue arised from an update
>clean install
>update
How about you roll your head back into your ass retard.

Yet it isnt that way on ANY FUCKIGNNDISTRO
LTS or ROLLING
>something breaks
>1.check config for new syntax
>2.roll back package from package manager cache
>3.reboot
>4. OH SHIT IT WORKS

Yes because fucking wiping your system drive is more sane then fucking reverting your packages from a backup.
ZOOMERS EVERYONE
THIS IS YOUR FUTURE

>didnt update config after update
>LETS WIPE THIS PRODUCTION SERVER WITH 5 YEARS OF CUSTOM DEVELPMENT BECAUSE I CANT INTO ROLLING BACK PACKAGES

I dont get how anyone can post here for more than a month without realising that some distros are just shit with some set ups and hardware configurations.

All distros run the same software that all other distros run
You can roll back packages with every package manager
You can setup backups with every distro

>reverting your packages from a backup
It's obvious you're a very thick person with literally 0 reading comprehension.

Jesus christ. I don't know what's worse: your stupidity or your butthurt.

guys, what the fuck am i doing wrong here? im trying to boot kali from usb

Attached: linux shit.jpg (1440x810, 94K)

load kernel

>be windowsfag
>try out linux
>takes 20mins to install
>some shit is broken
>google fixes
>spend literal hours googling and trying to fix shit
>nothing works
>install another distro in just 20mins
>shit works out of the box
get rekt faggot and dont you ever @ me again with your bullshit

Attached: Screenshot_2019-01-28 IT Crowd Season 2 - 2x01 The Work Outing - video dailymotion(5).png (338x336, 148K)

Go to your /var/cache folder and revert the pacakges you updated?
>but i dont know what packages updated i BLINDLY PRESS ENTER WITH SU
Go to your /var/log folder and read what you updated
>I CANT INTO PACKAGE MANAGEMENT

Not an argument, nor on topic
GTFO ZOOMER

he means you have to recompile the wm when you make changes to it, there isn't a config file that it reads automatically.

you really are a fucking idiot man...

And you're really shit at managing your system
>reading a CONFIG FILE IS HARD

Nigga he didnt update anything with su.
How fucking dense do you have to be to still not get that its about a first time installation?

No first time install would present that, it is pulling in the latest files from what ever networked device you are running.
Even then if you are using a offline host, you would download the full DVD ISO that has the entire environment that you are wanting to install, meaning the monthly ISO is fully vetted when being published to work with all the files already on the disk
Next.

and what happens when i do that? i tried to boot on 3 computers, only 1 of them went past boot menu.

hey so i recently did a minimal install of debian because i didn't have an ethernet cable and obiously i'm missing some packages (neofetch, krita etc). so how do i obtain them?

see
go fuck yourself you tech illiterate moron

>I LITERALLY CANT PRESS NEXT UNTIL PENGUIN BOOTS

>No first time install would present that
I'm the guy that happened to and its literally exactly what happened.
>install xubuntu iso
>stuff is fundamentally broken
>google
>other people have the problem too
>no solutions work
>figure that I can just try out another iso I downloaded
>works right away
I dont give a shit how you try to explain it or how you go out of your way to pretend that this cannot happen. Worked for me so get fucked.

you are one dense motherfucker and its obvious you're on full damage control mode right now

>shitting on beginners in the linux-themed tech support thread to feel better about yourself

Attached: .jpg (654x720, 279K)

>cant download the latest iso
If it is that flawed, ubuntu would have known about it from the SO MANY PEOPLE that have a PROBLIM with it, no?
They wouldnt keep something up for months at a time if it s broken for LITERALLY EVERYONE

hoo boy dont check out the non-friendly linux thread

Jow Forums is not for tech support

damn i came in a bad time huh

>cant download the latest iso
How much does it take until you realize you're wrong?
Literally downloaded the latest isos from the respective sites, and as said before, loads of people seemed to have the same problems with xfce (some google results go back many years) otherwise I wouldn't have spent so much time trying to apply said fixes and solutions you absolute retard.

This aint a tech support issue though. Its just one guy sperging out because some linux noob user tried out a different distro instead of doing whatever the fuck might have worked in his case. Which solved his problem.

Not really sure why that user is so mad.

>Not sure why that user is mad.
He's mad because he just learned that some distro setups are just fucked with some systems(laptop setups) and it obviously goes against his beliefs, so he's throwing a fit about zoomers.

This thread proves why we need a CoC.

You don't. Your only option is to connect to the internet and use your package manager if you want to avoid dependency hell.
Krita has an AppImage (essentially a .exe file) which may be use.

What software should I use to turn a .iso and a USB into a bootable USB? Asking cause i need to install winshit on my new gayming build

halp

So when I installed Mint, what did it do for my graphics drivers? I looked in the package manager and it shows this. Is this inferior to the radeon software? Should I be installing via this guide instead? amdgpu-install.readthedocs.io/en/latest/

Attached: Screenshot from 2019-03-03 17-03-46.png (800x724, 91K)

Card is an RX470 4GB

>noob enters room with cool blog post.
>unironically disproves spurious claim all distros are the same except for package management.
>sperge out ensues
>amused bystander posts reaction face.

Attached: 1512585483596.gif (400x248, 1.56M)

Who are you quoting?

man dd

I'd normally say dd, but windows requires some special snowflake shit on top of that.
I have no interest in looking up or telling you what that special snowflake shit is.