Redpill me on linux. Is it worth learning?

Redpill me on linux. Is it worth learning?

Attached: installgentoo.jpg (474x266, 18K)

is life worth living?

will the job you intend to do be made more possible to do by learning it?

It's the kernel commonly used in conjuction with the GNU operating system.

you dont need to learn it if you just need to do trivial things. its windows level this days on the usability aspect.

yes i have the money and have everything i need to run windows but i choose linux. it seriously is much more pleasant to use than windows.
word of advice: don't take Jow Forums's advice. don't install gentoo or arch if you're a new user (and don't like shit breaking), go with ubuntu or linux mint

No.
Yes.

Finally some sane advice on Jow Forums

yes, install OpenSUSE KDE if you have more powerful PC. otherwise go with Xubuntu.
daily workflow is much easier on Linux if you're not vidya faggot.

There's no reason not to. You're obviously interested enough to post about it.

Just download ubuntu and play around in a virtual box or something for a while. If it interests you you can dual boot with your current OS, maybe try a different distro.

Really, just get on with your life instead of asking a bunch of Weebs to make your decisions for you

As someone who used win10 as from last year, it's okay. I'm currently under xubuntu and it's honestly not bad at all. I mean obviously there's gonna be less software available, but as I am someone that doesn't use many different applications so it was alright.
Learning to use terminal isn't as bad as it seems.

And I can confirm it's much more stable than win10.

That's exactly how RMS will look after he caps you're ass for calling GNU/Linux "Linux".

of course
nah

Attached: 1523928254262.png (800x360, 216K)

Attached: 1545105814277.jpg (555x416, 313K)

Yes, the Linux kernel is part of the Linux operating system. Thank you, Linys Torvalds for making. Fuck you, Richard Stallman for doing nothing and stealing the credit.

depends on your needs. You could go serverless but you'd probably need a few basic commands here and there

More commonly used in the Android operating system.

But GNU came first, Linux was merely added to it, as it has been added to many operating systems.

GNU is the operating system, it was meant to use Hurd as its kernel but since Linux was already been made, GNU decided to use Linux.
Also

This. Mint with Cinnamon is the patrician choice.

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called "Linux", and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called "Linux" distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.

Attached: 1407016712945.jpg (488x600, 123K)

Linux is a second rate kernel. Its design was outdated before it even got a stable release. It’s holding the whole industry back which is why Google is developing Fuschia.

No, unless you're an autistic leftist neckbeard

this. Depending on the distro, the terminal has become optional for a while now.

forgot to add or manjaro

Attached: back in the.jpg (1148x813, 334K)

Do you call Android Linux, even thought it uses the Linux kernel? No.

GNU is the OS.

that's besides the point. linux is the foundation on which you use gnu toolchain. without linux gnu would be literally who.

Gnu Linux is a distribution, just as Debian is a distribution. By Richard stallman's reasoning it should be called X/Linux or X.org/Linux. Stallman would have you believe that Linux would be nothing without his GCC and the GPL, and therefore he wants a slice of the glory. In reality there is no reason Stallman cannot go and harass the Debian devs or redhat devs and insist they start calling it GNU/Debian and GNU/redhat. I believe he contemplated it and then hit on the idea that if he could somehow make a claim on the kernel itself, he wouldnt need to get millions of distro devs on his side, he could just make everyone call it GNU/Linux, Debian Gnu/Linux Redhat GNU/linux. I feel sad for him as his was a set of tools in search of a kernel that he hadnt the skill to write, but then along came Chad Torvalds and fatfuck stallman wanted to hang out with the cool kids but they just kicked sand in his face and laughed. He is now like a guy drunk on cider shaking his fist at the sky and shouting insane stuff thats barely comprehensible, like "mhrrrg rarrrf god ya bastard I'll fight yer wmaaarg brgg srrrr ya shite monster ITS GNUUUUUU/LINUX"

why is hagrid holding a gun

>GNU is a fully functioning operating system all by itself and not just a swappable mess of userland utilities
Just gonna leave this here, don't mind me...

Attached: 1538367463177.png (800x500, 11K)

Attached: 2ILhpxW-300x199.png (300x199, 95K)

>only things that are non-modular count as operating systems

You're missing the point.
Whatever else might come with a Linux distribution, the Linux kernel is the rock upon which they all sit.
It is the one constant in all of them, hence the shorthand convenience of referring to them as simply "Linux".
Nobody wants to tack on "GAHNOO SLASH" every time they mention a popular Linux distro, it's an unnecessary and ugly, guttural phrase that's uncomfortable to say out loud, much like the word "nigger". Don't be a GNUGGER.

Left windows 8 many many many years ago by accident. I thought I was using demo and not actual version before the great download and lost all my old shit. Fuck. But I never went back.

KERNELS came first. This image has always applied since GNU's inception, the FOSS software community was merely using other kernels like minix ((which became Linux))

systemd is actually a pretty good operating system, the only problem is the init system is shit.

>FOSS
just say free software.
> This image has always applied since GNU's inception
No. Because you act like GNU is something besides a project. It isn't a toolchain or a repository, it is a project. The GNU project used Linus Torvalds' free kernel in the GNU OS. That doesn't make the GNU OS Linux. Are you retarded?

Since gaming has improved and 10 just looks, awful in so many dif ways , I'm probably gonna go to linux in my next build. But that isn't the only thing I use my computer for.

Attached: lol.png (821x259, 24K)

>Wikipedia
Trash.

>>>/sanecave/

>Wikipedia
lol.png indeed.
And what is the 'operating system' in Alpine Linux? :^)

>And what is the 'operating system' in Alpine Linux?
According to the developers, it is non-traditional GNU/Linux.

linux-libre is better