What is the lowest amount of packages required for a functioning Linux kernel?

What is the lowest amount of packages required for a functioning Linux kernel?

Attached: gendoo.png (400x420, 25K)

Other urls found in this thread:

buildyourownlinux.com
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

who the fuck cares, kill yourself

why are you here?

buildyourownlinux.com

Linux + busybox + some meme embedded libc

kbd
busybox
e2fsprogs
musl or glibc
zlib

That will give you a kernel, ext4 filesystem tooling and a mostly complete userland. Add in the following for a working toolchain to build additional packages from source:

gcc6
gmp
mpc
mpfr
binutils
patch

It's about 130MB for a complete system with toolchain, most of which is gcc6.

A single executable that you can set as init

How about tcc

Probably like 100 or so

This vs LFS?

install systemd, then.

No thanks, I want to get actual work done without wasting time getting things to compile with tcc. Clang/LLVM is not a better alternative, either. It is about as compatible as gcc is with code, but it is even larger and takes even longer to compile by a large margin.

Follow LFS with the above packages I mentioned and you'll actually get it done.

depending on what you mean by 'for a functioning kernel' you could probably do less than 10 like says but probably more realistically a few dozen for a fairly feature complete embedded system on some standard hardware
look into lfs or any number of very small linux distros like alpine, openwrt, nanolinux, etc, and see what unnecessary components you can remove, most of these intend to provide x but something like alpine is meant to be small to use in containers without taking up huge amounts of disk and will likely be the most regular distro with the least amount of packages by default (if installed in a container/virtual machine)
for a point of reference a fairly standard openwrt install has about 100 packages but about a dozen are for the web interface and another 2 dozen for kernel modules fully support everything a standard router should support, it's almost bloated with this many packages

Attached: 1516351806471.png (512x512, 51K)

>busybox
That's just cheating.

And yet it works perfectly well now that they've fixed their sh, awk and wget implementations. I no longer have to maintain custom patches like I used to for it.

If you want to install GNU bloatware, knock yourself out champ.

fpbp, fucking OP is retarded. You can package a whole ubuntu installation in a package, it's just a compressed set of files and ordered folders with instructions.
God I fucking hate this retards so much, they don't even realize how wrong they are

Suck my 4 inch cock

>hurr OP is a retard because packages are arbitrary
you have to go back, brainlet

Why don't you help them instead of insulting them?

sorry