/sqt/ - Stupid Questions Thread

Previous thread
>Read

>GNU/Linux questions?
>PC building?
>Programming questions?
>Good, cheap, laptops?
>Cheap electronics?
>How to activate any version of windows?
>Where can I get Win 7 or LTSB?
pastebin.com/smjvLZN4
pastebin.com/quC0gz4j
pastebin.com/gHCCFBkt
pastebin.com/4LvsAFk7

Attached: aMZBMqW_460s.jpg (460x280, 18K)

Other urls found in this thread:

windowscentral.com/how-reduce-windows-10-footprint-your-pc
imgur.
github.com/seebye/ueberzug/blob/master/ueberzug/xutil.py
github.com/seebye/ueberzug/issues
hackaday.com/2014/06/28/xkcds-virus-aquarium-made-real/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Say I'm trying to move a picture from my old hard drive into my new one, as I drag the picture into my new one instead of actually moving the picture, it just makes a copy of it. So I end up with two copies, one on the old driver and one on the new one.

How do I make it so I can just move shit into the new drive? doing my nut in, I'm trying to make space. Do I really have to manually delete everything after I move it? It also fucks with the dates. A lot of the pictures I want to move are old pieces of art and I like being able to check when I made it, but now they all say 2019 because that's when I moved them.

Attached: 1480197368959.jpg (1280x720, 69K)

Just use ctrl + x to cut them.

Attached: 1520991076535.png (963x1200, 475K)

I use windows 10.
Say I have a file on my computer, file.txt
I save a new file, also called file.txt
How do I have windows automatically rename it to file (1).txt when it detects there's already a file with that name? This was possible in previous windows OSes, right?

Using awesomewm; is it possible to move focus to the left, right, up and down, instead of last used? I feel like this is something that's really simple; but my for the life of me i can't seem to find anything on it. my current setup goes to the last used tile and it's super annoying

How do programs implement being verbose? Is it just a ton of if statements checking the value of the verbose setting?

Our internet is really slow, about 100kps. But whenever there are 2 people on at once, instead of being split 50kps and 50kps, it's split like 90kps and 10kps and I always get the short end of the stick.

Why is this and is there anyway I can make my computer the favored one?

QoS

>an OP that ISNT shota
holy shit no way
get fucked shotafags

I installed dashchan on my phone.
How do I enable infinite scrolling. It triggers me to have to refresh to get to another page.

Just updated W10 and there is now a "Compress OS" option. How does that work? I'd love an extra 10GB, but I'd like to understand how I'd be able to use compressed files first

i have a C# program that basically does a shitton of calculations in one long loop, is there any tutorial out there for how to use a graphics card to optimize this?

Interesting. Could one compress the OS. At what cost I wonder...

what?

How can I digitise cassette tapes for the cheapest price possible?

Is there any way to get back to the old text based captcha? Captchas have been literal cancer recently, forcing me to solve literally 20 one after another, even when I solve them right. The refreshing image ones are the worst.

what are some vulnerabilities of tor?

why

Attached: 1549553079669.png (888x247, 67K)

How do I upgrade from windows 7 to windows LTSC/LTSB?

Copy+paste vs Cut+paste

>open your old HDD on a new window
>select your pics
>press CTRL (or CMD if you're a macfag) and X in your keyboard
>open your new HDD on another window
>press CTRL and V
>wait for the pictures to be moved from a HDD to the other one

Attached: 1526318767729.jpg (735x683, 86K)

In windows, use right click to drag then "move" or "move here".

No those have been discontinued. You can use "force noscript captcha" in 4chanx and use keyboard shortcuts. That's a lot better.

The same way you do any other windows version. Download ISO, make flash drive, boot flash drive. Although I'd go with Education if I were you. Full windows options, just disable the store if you don't want it.

Suggestions for photo viewing app with no ads?
QuicPic used to be good but now it's shit. Broken af on top of ads

are there any good command line TTS programs? if possible something that works with German

Has anyone ever paid for a MacOS update/upgrade?

Download F-Droid
"Simple Gallery"

Why do you recomend win 10 education friend?
Everyone I've seen talk about win 10 praises LTSC/LTSB as the only way to have win 10, I want to just stick on win 7 but thats only got 2020.
I've never gotten a virus on win 7 and i don't know if that's got anything to do with windows updates, but my common senses says im better with updates then without them.

Apparently it happened back in the time of cartoon related.
But that's what I read on Jow Forums so take it for what it's worth.
>pretty much fuck all.

I should have expanded. It's located in the disc cleanup utility. Precursory googling wasn't very clear as to what exactly it does

Attached: COMPRESS.jpg (375x454, 73K)

What's the best free cloud storage? Mega seems alright and has 50GB free

stupid person who knows nothing about tech here

I see people brag about having certain monitors for their PC - but what is actually the practical difference between a TV screen and a computer monitor?

If I use a HD 1080p TV screen as a monitor, are there actually any disadvantages compared to if I used a PC monitor? Will I have any graphical issues?

Yeah a lot of people misunderstand the practical issues with LTS. It sounds good on paper, and it's really down to how brilliantly evil MS is that it's not really a good option. We get a lot of people on here complaining about different bugs and important missing updates on it, but that's by design. It's meant to be absolutely unchanging, even if a problem is discovered with it, or it's missing something that new versions of software or drivers need, because it's only meant to be used on a very small number of computers that do very specific things. >95% of Windows 10 users are on the latest version within 2 years of release, so it's the expected standard now. And there's no use trying to cookie cut your OS when enterprise gives you the ability to turn that on and off no problem.

That said, if you go with windows 8.1 and Openshell you get a few more years before you have to deal with 10.

How can I set mpv and jpegview as my defaults in windows 10? It won't let me do it through settings, and it seems like it's impossible to get to the old control panel default programs.

yeah, tv suck for gaming, don't use them

NTFS compression. It's been an option in every NT-based Windows since more than 20 years ago. Just under drive properties usually.

Not great for SSDs because CPU consumption and probably excessive latency. Not great for hard drives because fragmentation. The only situation where it really makes sense to have a compressed system drive is if you're dealing with a shitty all-in-one that only has 32~64GB of high speed storage available.

windowscentral.com/how-reduce-windows-10-footprint-your-pc

How long does it take Veracrypt to encrypt a system drive about 500 Gbs in size?

Generally monitors have higher specs. Things that differ between monitors and TVs include dynamic contract ratio, DPI, HDR and color accuracy.
To simplify, monitors generally have greater visual fidelity than TVs, and have different input/output slots. but at their core, they are the same.

Are you taking about the Windows Explorer? If so, it copies instead of moves by default if it's cross-device. You can override it by holding shift before releasing the mouse button.

Usually it's a function that checks if the flag is set and if so calls print. Pseduocode:
int verbose;

int vprint(char str[])
{
if (verbose)
return print(str);
else
return 0;
}

int main()
{
verbose = 1; //todo: set based on args
vprint("some debug message");
return 0;
}

Plug your cassette player into your PC's mic jack and record with Audacity.

Mac OS 10.8 was the last paid upgrade.

Thank you, I'm glad I asked because I was about to do it.

It depends on the type of encryption, but at least a few hours, potentially a day. (unless things have sped up in the past ~2 years)

Input lag can be a big one. Also not all TVs are good at detecting when your computer has woken up and turning on quickly. Also TVs are generally meant to be viewed at a distance, so their resolution can be rather limited relative to their size sometimes.

Thanks I did ctrl-X it worked I'm very happy!!!!

also how do I delete something if windows cant verify its location?

>You can override it by holding shift before releasing the mouse button.
Holy shit annon, you just changed my life.

how

Can I run a virus in wine? What happens?

Attached: 1551654771019.jpg (400x262, 16K)

That's like 3 less buttons I have to press 50 times a day.

The company I work for would like to get better at connecting remotely to some of our monitoring equipment. To that end my boss has purchased a pair of PocketPort2's, and we have successfully accomplished pic related with the PC on the right that is connected over the USB modem actually being a piece of specialized monitoring equipment. I'm not crazy about the way it works, and neither is my boss.

Shouldn't I be able to replace the two PocketPorts with Raspberry Pi's? Would I then be able to accomplish this same connection? I'd have to replace the pocketport servers with something obviously, would I be able to use an already active subscription to NordVPN for this or am I totally off base for how that type of VPN service works versus this "Virtual Cable Tunnel" thing we are trying to make happen here. I've also read something that suggested a "digital ocean droplet" but then I read something about them not being as good and I should look into competitors, before I even really read enough into what a digital ocean droplet is or if I need one.

From what I've read I should also be able to accomplish a similar thing using a router with something like DD-WRT installed on it to make the "Virtual Cable Tunnel" right? I've got DD-WRT running on an older linksys router I had and it's pretty slick but the router doesn't have a usb port for the modem that is a required part of all this.

Basically what we'd really like is to be able to hook up this equipment to a power plant anywhere in the country (provided it has the service for the 4g modem) and have the tech on site be able to set up this connection so the equipment can be monitored by an engineer in our home office. Are we going about this in what you would consider an intelligent way? Do you have a suggestion on something I should else I should look up?

Attached: ex_net_top.png (2087x766, 928K)

You can, provided the necessary assets are there. It would do it's normal thing of being a creeper inside that environment, but unless there's someone remote controlling it who really knows what they're doing, it would probably not be able to do much to your system at large.

Explain.

malware is exceptionally good at running everywhere, so probably yes

It's more that malware is good at running in common environments that it's built for. You could design malware that works under unusual circumstances, but it would take a lot more effort and yield minimum returns, so the less common your setup, the less incentive to build something that could compromise it.

My stepmom's pc is refusing to load certain websites. So far its only YouTube and FB. youtube will load the main page normally, and if you click a video it will halfway load that. Tye black video box comes up, the description box comes up, autoplay's next video comes up, but no comments, no suggested vids, and the videos never load. It takes about 5 seconds to try to load, forces a reload, forces another reload, and then "sorry this page isnt loading properly". This is on edge, IE loads everything fine but its incredibly jerky, (see link at bottom of post). Chrome doesnt have any issues. So whats the problem here? Im about to dl the newest IE and edge versions on the off chance they both somehow got corrupted or something. Im on my phone and none of the shitty webm converters work so heres an imgur link with a preview of the stuttering
imgur. com/a/0P2ED19

Is it possible to have a context-free grammar G in chomsky normal form such that some string in L(G) has a parse tree consisting of 6 nodes? how?

Attached: 1512508773991.jpg (640x568, 44K)

So it turns out it was an old ass optiplex 780 from 2008. It has never loaded YT or FB successfully on IE or edge. Weird that chrome has no issues though. Task manager shows cpu usage going crazy, itll drop to as low as 20% or 30% and then jump up to 70% or 80% usage, so i guess having a shitty 2 core processor from 2008 is my issue here?

You probably need what I believe is called an "active displayport adapter." I needed one for my older Radeon when I was gayman years ago. It sucks some extra juice from USB to amplify the signal as the card alone can't put out enough for three monitors without some help. Make sure you get one that matches your needs. I needed one with HDMI out and mini display port to the graphics card (and of course USB for power). If you have a full-size display port obviously don't get a mini. Pic roughly related.

There was a write-up a while back I wish I still had the link to. I think it was somebody inspired by the XKCD 'malware aquarium' comic. This was years ago and the TL;DR was that some of the shit had no problem escaping the VM's they were using - but promptly fizzled out once in a Linux environment. And again that was years ago. Now that it's known (and probably was already known then) that a VM could be escaped you could run a "Windows" malware in VM or in Wine and there's a good chance some malicious code might be executed, or at least written, outside of VM/Wine.

Attached: startech_mdp2dvid_startech_mini_displayport_dvi_1368128899000_959470.jpg (500x500, 34K)

IE is discontinued. Don't use it. Edge doesn't update independent of the OS, at least not yet anyway. You really shouldn't be using anything except firefox or chrome. Be sure ublock origin is installed though.

You can get an ivy or haswell i5 PC so cheap these days there's really no reason to justify putting anyone through a core 2 these days. That said, adding a cheap SSD and doing a clean install will go a long way on any system.

>python
found the problem

Broken Intel video drivers. Put literally any DX9 or later video card in there and it'll run fine.

I havent thought about ie or edge in years, didnt know ie got discontinued. Knew edge sucked though. Im not looking to upgrade a whole lot, it seems fine for what she uses it for aside from the processor. Problem is memory usually hovers at 50% and HD usage can easily hit that too. Chrome seems to be fine for what she wants, ill just uninstall ie and tell her to use chrome. If theres an issue later on ill see if theres any processors the MB can use that would be an upgrade. Ty for the help

>Got a shock of my heat sink
>PC froze and turned off

should i be worried

I was looking into getting a home NAS for myself for data hoarding purposes

Id imagine id get something along the lines of wd reds correct? Are there any brands I could aim for If I want higher capacity hard drives? reds come in 10tb at the highest but I was looking for 16 tbs

Additionally, what kind of NAS box should i go about acquring? I have no idea what the differences are besides drive capacity

All in all I want a nas box with about 30tbs worth of storage, after redundancy

>theres an issue later on ill see if theres any processors the MB can use that would be an upgrade.
Bad idea. Processor upgrades in general are almost always a meme, at least ones that are more than a few years old. Unless it's got less than 3gb of ram, the only upgrade you should consider is an SSD, or else an entirely new PC.

github.com/seebye/ueberzug/blob/master/ueberzug/xutil.py
Looking at the source code on github seems like the error is at line 94
root = display.screen().root
root is being set to "None" instead of some type of display object. At line 98 the program attempts to grab a specific value from the 'root' object and Python crashes since root isn't actually set to anything.

Try posting your issue in the github's issue section
github.com/seebye/ueberzug/issues

Something fucky going on with your grounding. PC is probably fine, but you have a pretty serious wiring fault somewhere.

Alright, I asked this last thread, but I'll try again:
>How can I run java applets in a browser?
I've checked around, closet I've gotten is using palemoon and a hacked together java plugin, but the applet just goes white and freezes. Is there a better way to do this? (Running debian linux)

Attached: java.jpg (1024x768, 53K)

Preheat your time machine for 2006

I know, its so stupid, but this is the only way I can work with the hardware I need to

Attached: ;-;.png (844x946, 208K)

bros how do I copy files that don't contain a number in their name?
I've tried cp SRC_PATH/*[^0-9]* DIST_PATH, but that obviously copies all files
(using bash)

Attached: 16427620_1776553709266686_4129615786985922340_n.jpg (344x500, 21K)

find . -regextype sed -regex "^[^0-9]\+$" -type f -exec cp {} /tmp/new_dir \;

I have an HP Probook 4520s with a dead GPU. Can i get a motherboard from another HP like the 4510s or 4545s and replace it?

thank you, user

i tried creating windows installation media on a partition of one of my SSDs and it ended up reformatting the whole thing to a FAT32 ESD-USB . Is there any way to recover the files that were on there? I've already tried a lot of tools online and I'm still not finding any of my files, did I just fuck everything up?

My GPU features a 0db mode and my idle temperature is straddling that line, causing my fans to start and stop every few seconds. Will this create additional wear and decrease the fans' lifespan or is it fine? I'm a paranoid retard.

>I'm just an amateur, so take everything with a grain of salt

Short answer, sorry to say it man, but I think since you went from one format to another (Whatever->Fat32) the data's gone
Long answer:
It depends on how you formatted the drive, If you (or the software you used) just marked the data for deletion ("From this point in the SSD to that one, you can delete later if you need to. OK computer?") or if the software did a complete reformat ("Everything from this point on the SSD to that point is now Zeros, so now it can be quickly written to")

As a last ditch effort, I think Kali Linux has some computer forensic tools, you could try a liveUSB of that and check

Using cmake, i added a folder to "tools",which is part of the build system. Yet the folder is not being compiled,there are no errors in the cmakeerror.txt log yet everything else in the tools folder is being compiled.
Why?

If the os did a Trim on the affected sectors then it's gone for good.

Theoretically the frequent spinups cause wear, but irl the gpu will be obsolete before the fans need service.

Some of my laptop keys don't work.

Is it possible to repair myself without spending money at a shop?

How do I diagnose a mechanical problem that's fixable or something more serious that's unfixable?

Attached: 6add6940-2af8-4a65-a4d1-b27be1fc4ada.jpg (640x426, 47K)

>i363 refers to the architecture of the physical processor in a machine being 32-bit
>amd64 refers to the architecture of the physical processor in a machine being 64-bit
>x86 refers to the software being compiled to a 32-bit instruction set
>x64 refers to the software being compiled to a 32-bit instruction set

Is there anything I'm missing or have wrong?

Is there a good application or script available for mass downloading of udemy videos? The buffering is stupid.

x64 refers to the software being compiled to a *64-bit instruction set
Typo

i386 aka x86 is the 32 bit Intel instruction set. AMD64 aka x64 is the extension to x86.

So there's no distinction between i383 and x86?
Same with amd64, x64?

when you do this in one directory, there should be a popup that lets you set it to do the same thing everytime

They're names for the same thing basically.
x86 is technically the name of the instruction set. It had both a 16 bit and 32 bit version. Many popular processors used this instruction set but intel's 80386 (known as the i386) was the most popular (using the 32 bit version of the set).

AMD came up with a way to turn the 32-bit x86 instruction set into a 64 bit set, calling it x86-64. After it got popular they changed the name to AMD64 in order to put their name on it.

Best place to get a cheap used xbox 360 in working condition?

Always felt bad there was a couple games I never got to finish because my brother's scumbag roommate stole my old one (which I was lending to my brother at the time) when he got kicked out. You think I could pick one up for like $30 anywhere?

clamav found an active x homepage hijacker in internet explorer one time, but it wasn't having any actual effect.
>learning html and testing how it looked in IE6 back in the day.

How do I view an isobmff file on windows? I ripped a video off a website but I can't fucking view it now. I use trid to determine what filetype it is and it's an isobmff file.

Should I ever commit code that doesn't compile?

Attached: 1551408725668.png (1000x1364, 1.68M)

Yes, but only to an in-progress feature branch and never to one of the core branches

After some research, xkcd 350, pic related
And this was what I could find as far as the writeup
hackaday.com/2014/06/28/xkcds-virus-aquarium-made-real/

I don't know why but the idea of a virus escaping a VM is really interesting to me.

Attached: network.png (740x414, 114K)

You can do what you want but the general idea is that each commit should be a logical "save point" for your program. I don't think anyone would consider code that doesn't compile something you want to permanently save. Usually I'll have a list of TODOs I want to complete in my code and after completing enough of them I'll push a commit.

What's the best Android keyboard for one-handed use?

If LISP is faster than C why don't we write kernels and OSes in LISP?

Attached: 1551537507327.jpg (1024x768, 82K)

How can i better use firefox containers other then sandboxing cookies?

Lisp is not and has never been anywhere near as fast as C

Aye fuckers. Why dont this shit work?

i'm thinking of selling my custom built pc.
i was slowly upgrading it but i dont like gaming like i used to so i sort of stopped upgrading it before it could be really good.
i can run most games on max settings.
nvidia gtx 1080 aero
AMD A8-6600K APU (quad core)
12GB RAM

Attached: pc case.jpg (352x480, 39K)

I'm running into issues installing/using a Radeon RX 570 and I wanted your opinions. Can I detail more or does it fall under "not your personal support"?

Attached: 10c.jpg (599x393, 49K)

> So there's no distinction between i383 and x86?
When you compile a program, you have to choose which instruction set version the compiler will use. Newer CPUs can run instructions from older ones, but not vice versa. 386 is the lowest common denominator for 32-bit programs on modern OS, so it's a common target, but a lot of people just throw the term around as a synonym for any 32-bit x86 program. Which it isn't. There are like 10 or 20 32-bit x86 family instruction sets you could target, but 386, 686, and katmai are the only ones that really matter 99% of the time.
>Same with amd64, x64?
These aren't equivalent either. 64-bit P4s don't support 100% of Athlon64 instructions. Once again, dumbasses just throw these terms around.