Where my TAPE bros at?

Where my TAPE bros at?

Attached: IMG_3323.jpg (220x128, 7K)

Other urls found in this thread:

goughlui.com/2015/10/16/review-tested-verbatim-lifetime-archival-millenniatam-disc-4x-bd-r-25gb/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Fuckoff Linus we all know it's you

which pixel is the tape drive?

>TAPE bros
you will never know the joy of a DC2120 tape warez swap

>DC2120
i wish i had access to one of those. best i could do was swapping vhs tapes of data. was interesting when they were intercepted by customs. they'd watch them, conclude that they were damaged, and still pass them on.

Attached: IMG_3324.jpg (600x331, 37K)

>i wish i had access to one of those
the newer travan drives will read older DC2120

i would absolutely kill for an lto4 drive or greater.

>lto
lto is gay

QIC is comfy

LOL

Attached: guzlqk.jpg (600x830, 61K)

I don't normally share pictures of my retro stash, but this thread is special.

Attached: retro gold.jpg (1372x1047, 363K)

>Where my TAPE bros at?
In a nursing home

Is there any real advantage to all that shit?

respectable stash, user.

No.

>being THIS ignorant to the importance of tape in computing today
Go back to your phone thread

Attached: 1378080560304.jpg (522x399, 162K)

>advantage
you don't understand retro

How much time does it takes to fill that 60GB tape?

>How much time does it takes to fill that 60GB tape?
ahh a couple hours
not a tape I run... just one from a client for posterity
i just have a DC2120 drive, which are also slow.. like a little over an hour to lay down 120MB

Go easy on him, he had to get that image off his tape drive.

how does data access from a tape work?
do you have to copy the entire contents of the fucker back over to another drive, or can you access shit file-by-file?

What's with millienials and adopting old technology? Like seriously, it's like you're looking for something to shove in people's faces. Wow dude, you use technology from 20 years ago TODAY, you're so cool and unique and different!

Just fucking die. You retards ruin everything. You take something old and make it your identity until you sucked the "uniqueness" out of it and move on to the next thing.

>What's with millienials and adopting old technology?
see

What tape machine do I get to backup long term storage? And where to buy? What capacity? Price? Fuck man so many questions

based retard

for some time I was interested in datasettes.
I was surprised how much useless shit they had to write until I recorded and read my own tape code.
man, those old music tape decks need about 5 seconds to get on speed and even then the speed varies a lot.
still, I managed to get more dense with virtually no read errors.

wouldn't recommend for data storage tho

I almost broke my dad's tape drive when I was like 8 because I tried jamming a cassette tape into it. Or maybe I did break it. I remember him being none too pleased in any case.

>What tape machine do I get to backup long term storage?
you don't unless you have $5000 to throw away
tape is a waste of money except in certain enterprise situations

Attached: 1544719028074.jpg (345x336, 214K)

You can present the filesystem abstraction with the correct drivers on unix

Actually tapes are still useful, you can put lots of TB really cheap on modern tapes.

C-can those play, and record audio too, or are they just for data storage?

makes sense.
> kid sees tape
> computer uses tape
> logical conclusion for 8yo: must play my tape too? fuck it, let's see if it does.
my father used to tell me when i was 3-4yo i had discovered how screw drivers worked after watching him working on stuff, so i started taking everything apart to see how it worked. that kept him very amused, not in a happy way. kek.

does it take like 20 minutes to ls then or is it reasonably performant?
actually wanted to get a tape drive for years for archiving family photos, etc

Yea I rekt all of my dad's shit too. Looking back I really can't believe how parents raise children to full young adults without killing them.

kek

Tapes are sequential read, so they are read until they get to the data you actually want to copy. When it gets there, it copies them to wherever you want.

Can tapes be striooed in raid?

Sure, tapes have high capacity and all, but don't you want something faster? Not only faster, but removable, and with affordable hardware and medi-CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK

Attached: 41AR5WZ541L._SX425_.jpg (425x245, 13K)

>striped

>does it take like 20 minutes to ls then or is it reasonably performant?
I haven't used one myself, but I would guess `ls` is really slow as you have to mechanically move the tape to list it all.

If you are lucky, and the filesystem is stored as a tar file, then the list is on the head.

>really cheap on modern tapes
how many 6TB enterprise grade hard drives can you buy for the price of a single tape and drive?
how many tapes do you have to buy before tape and drives are break-even with hard drives?

Attached: cheap lto.png (889x446, 123K)

wew

Attached: 1520071280007.png (496x430, 122K)

I've never worked anywhere that used tape still. These weren't small companies and they weren't descended from hipster bay area start ups either.
I worked at a regional bank that had a veeam deployment that cost somewhere north of 9 million dollars. It involved exactly 0 bytes of tape and thousands of spinning disks.
Raid may not be a backup but hard drives are backed up to more hard drives which are backed up to still more hard drives. Just how it is.

Git gud

Attached: comfy LTO drive.jpg (901x2268, 267K)

I've never heard of it. Quick websearch for "tape raid" says it is normal though.

god, those things were like 100 bucks apiece too.

Attached: 71E31TPHVQL.gif (500x379, 211K)

>lto3
baby's first tape drive

Gotta start somewhere uwu

wow based!

M-DISC blu-rays are superior and have a shelve life of 1,000 years.

>Gotta start somewhere
thats where you're wrong

disk based backup is where it's at.
tape is just for retro and legacy applications

This. And ODG is better.

those things were so terrible. absolutely unreliable. into the trash.
you must have worked in some incredibly shitty places.
> Raid may not be a backup but hard drives are backed up to more hard drives which are backed up to still more hard drives
this bank should close its business down for being this dangerously incompetent
>Just how it is.
it just isn't. any sane business uses tape backups. some companies that can afford it have installed robotics to insert and remove tapes from their archives or from new stock, whenever needed, all done automatically.

>wasting money on something as low availability as tape
That's ignoring the fact that checking tapes for integrity when you actually back up has always been a joke.
>those tapes you drop shipped to Vegas
>oops sorry they never had the data on them in the first place
>enjoy your dead filesystem because muh compression
That bank could've lost an entire raid 10 and be failed over running live of the fucking backup media in about 5 minutes. Good luck doing that with tape, fren.

>> Good luck doing that with tape, fren.
> insert tape from backup
> drive accepts it and os mounts it to filesystem
> total time:

>brining an entire vmware cluster's storage back online in 5 minutes
>from tape
I think you're just projecting when you say
>worked in some incredibly shitty places
Tape doesn't fly in the modern world. The amount of TTL is unacceptable. Even 5 minutes for a datastore to come back was enough to get crucified in an all hands. Not even my department man. You'd be in a room with the entire IT department, devs, devops, systems, ba, erp, web and they'd crucify the systems guys for needing 5 minutes to start live restore.
Meanwhile your cheeto fingered greasy ass has never kept to an SLA in your entire life.

Tapes are not outdated at all. They are the only way to store heaps of data.

it's youngfags who're getting sick of being fucked by their smartphones and are finding out for the first time how varied and interesting the computing industry used to be

>Disk backup is good
No it's not

Attached: 1517292122812.jpg (354x313, 28K)

I was given an old lto3 tape drive but i'm to much of a brainlet to get that fucking SCSI interface work

Attached: FB_IMG_1512455037525.jpg (720x679, 39K)

how fast can the newest fastest tape drives load data on to some thing you can edit and view.

if it can dump like 12tb onto a HDD in 30mins I might consider it. can you make it search for a file and then load it faster? like say a 5gb movie? how long would that take to load from the tape drive.

>12tb onto a HDD in 30mins
dude, that's 6.8GiB/s

haha ok well how long for loading a 5gb file off the tape. it remembers the spot its stored in right how long would that take to load.

Are you retarded?

Tape is for backup retard. You browse it AFTER you restored it to a disk or array.

yes but the new drives use for storing tape can remember where you put stuff so you could for instance store a fuckload of 5gb blurays on it and search them at will.

how long would it take to recall that 5gb file that's a pretty simple question.

obviously the answer is just get a HDD but tape is cheaper and if you want to store fuckloads of 5gb music albums or 5gb movies it could make sense if it only takes 10mins to load the file for some people that store alot

like obviously most people wouldn't mind paying the extra 1500$ for hard drives to have it load instantly but I wouldn't mind 10min wait to save 2grand. over 10years. and it would be quite aesthetic. .. 10min wait also isn't so bad considering if you long term storing files its safest to have the drives unplugged while with tape you just slot the tape in and click load rather than plug it up and restart computer.

seek times are much worse, naturally, you're literally waiting on a tape to FF/RW, you'd have to look that up for the specific format, it also depends on the distance between where the tape is and where the file you want is, it can vary greatly, it's not like a hdd where something like "5-40ms" is basically instant when you're only seeking once
a worst-case seek would be about the same time as it takes to FF/RW from one end of the tape to the other, since that's what's happening
tape isn't use for random-access for this reason, but i see why you'd want to do that, i think it'd be pretty cool to have a bunch of huge movies on tapes, spending up to 10 minutes to seek to one and dump it for watching is really not unfeasable, especially if you plan movie watching ahead of time, the seek time doesn't even matter

Tape is for backup. I fail to understand how you still keep missing that.

oh right I see ya point the movies I store deeper into the tape will take longer to load.

probably making the usable area of the tape smaller for fast access on demand. and making HDD even more economical

ya that would be annoying guess ill just look out for one of these machines as a curiosity

Dead and buried or still working for the US army

some thing ive always hoped for is some one making a VHS machine that lets you store like 1-2tb on a old VHS tape.

there are methods of using devices with existing VHS recorders but it does it with video data which isn't the most efficient. there are a fuckload of unused VHS tapes in this world that you can get for literally 0$. which is quite good compared to a 30$ HDD.

That's not how you use tape though.
I take tape backups of my arrays every few months and bury them in a plastic container in the yard. If a fire or other event should destroy my rack and the arrays on them, insurance will pay for it, but my data would be still gone, but I can just roll back a tape backup onto the arrays and loose only a little.
Way cheaper and more reliable than using hard drives for something like that, faster, cheaper and more secure than "cloud" services.

>yes but the new drives use for storing tape can remember where you put stuff so you could for instance store a fuckload of 5gb blurays on it and search them at will.
that's why hard drives exist, fucko
nobody using tape cares for meme features like that

Attached: 1551690341750.jpg (908x730, 220K)

tape readers literally has that feature thou it remembers where it stores all the files in a data file on the PC you use to store them or in the reader its self. you know websites where you have to request files and they show up in 30mins time.. that's because they are loaded from tape and it goes looks for the exact document for you like for banks and such.

lol burying shit in the garden.
im talking about storing music.

realistically films you don't want to store that long term as they get rereleased in higher def. but music you can get 2-20gb masters you want to keep for ya entire life.

"no"
not at least for the last decade

lol yes they do you are just ignorant they store a log of where every file goes so you can FF to it.

but ya still if it takes 5mins to load a file near the start and 45mins to load it near the end in afue years you might be able to download that 20gb music master from cloud faster than that so its prob kinda dumb.

I might just dump my high def digital rips on indervidual tape cassettes for tape compression played back in a Walkman.

I would like to find some use for a Data tape drive thou :( if only for the feels. perhaps storing rare old personally modded version of games or some thing large you have personalized but want to keep long term.

redundancy of important data is always good.

>M-DISC blu-rays
goughlui.com/2015/10/16/review-tested-verbatim-lifetime-archival-millenniatam-disc-4x-bd-r-25gb/

no they aint they can get scratched easy

the most safe storage method is HDD unplugged and sitting in air tight pelican cases with foam that's what the film industry stores their like 200tb 32k rips of bond films on they obviously know whats up.

you do have to probably refresh the HDD after 10years or some thing thou but its safer to handel and use.

I guess you could argue putting 100 blurays in a safe spot would be easier. but the risk of scratching 100 blurays is much higher.