Whats the Jow Forums approved way to get good at this language? Best books and resources plzx

Whats the Jow Forums approved way to get good at this language? Best books and resources plzx

Attached: python.png (1280x1024, 135K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=k6U-i4gXkLM&list=PL4C4720A6F225E074
docs.python.org/3/
apps.ankiweb.net/
ankiweb.net/shared/decks/python
sivers.org/srs
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

I found the MIT open course for the introduction to computer science and programming quite helpful

youtube.com/watch?v=k6U-i4gXkLM&list=PL4C4720A6F225E074

Attached: computer science.gif (320x240, 2.42M)

Whats wrong with MIT owo

It's best to stay away from this language due to a huge number of gotchas. Even if you have the metal fortitude to learn all of them and support your project, not many people do. This results in most modules being abandoned with critical flaws, ruining the famous "there's a module for that" benefit.

>It's best to stay away from this language due to a huge number of gotchas.

So what's the alternative of doing some number crunching / plotting / analysis on your run-of-the-mill earth observation satellite level 2 data? IDL or Matlab? Fucking surely not, right?

R

It's essentially the same bloody thing, isn't it? Just a bit more hassle with R than with Python.

I do not know any languages that would fit your use case well. I gave you an opinion on Python, as this is a language I am very familiar with.

You got answers in the /dpt/ then deleted your post and made a new fucking thread to ask?

I recommended this in /dpt/ and will say again the python it teaches you is a crash-course where they're throwing math in the mix straight away. It doesn't linger on the basics at all so if you've no programming experience and don't catch on quick you're liable to have a bad time. If you're not bad at math and do catch on quick find a copy now and get crackin'.

"Learn Python The Hard Way" will beat it into your skull with instruction and repetition. Pretty sure you can find the original for free still and you can probably pirate "Learn Python 3 The Hard Way" if you're so inclined.

The other solid reply you got was to "RTFM." Or rather they linked:

docs.python.org/3/

Damned solid suggestion that I should've made myself. It provides a tutorial of it's own to get you rolling.

Also, do you have any idea why most sources suggest learning Python 2 instead of 3?

Python 3 is not backward compatible. This meant loads of modules already written and working for 2 were useless in 3, and would have to be rewritten specifically for 3. So in it's youth Python 3 was lacking in modules that were already abundant in 2. This lead to people being reluctant to switch - this reluctance still continues despite most major stuff already being ported over.

The issue is when you've got a huge project written in the former, even if you're not reliant on anybody else's modules, it becomes a project unto itself to rewrite it to the new standard.

Anyway as the other user pointed out Python 2 support ends in around 10 months. Python 3 is going to be the future of the language.

It won't keep people from dragging their feet to make the switch but from a professional standpoint you go with what's supported so you don't end up like some of these company's running old dinosaur machines with sixty-something year old hackers managing the software and making bank off them because because they can't be replaced if they were ever allowed to retire. Falling behind is never a good thing and it compounds with time.

tl;dr - Learn 3

I chuckled, thanks user

Learn C and Bash, Anything that is important written in python just calls to a C library anyways, Bash is good glue.

Serious Python is a good book after you get past the basics. It introduces a bunch of useful features, packages, and practices without wasting your time.

Install this:
apps.ankiweb.net/
Download some of these:
ankiweb.net/shared/decks/python

Use the app everyday and in 3 months you'll be in the top 1% of Python programmers. In 1 year you'll reflect on this as the moment you stumbled on the best advice you ever read on Jow Forums.

Attached: 1525050628996.png (783x692, 102K)

MIT courses and recommended textbooks

classy as fuck

MIT courses are WAY BETTER that Zed's crap.

MIT is teaching principles and explains whys, hardway is teaching particulars and hows.

because these sources are idiots who know nothing about PLs

The whole point of Python3 was to fix inconsistencies and warts of python 2

No mobiles version? Im at a fucking airport on the way to japan and wanna get gud on the flight

Nm got it

Because you are reading outdated shit.
Python 2 is EoL next year, don't bother with it.

Zed's book is what I started with and ended up in working in web development later on, so it worked for me at least.

I should mention for those not familiar with spaced repetition and why it's the most powerful way to remember practically anything including a programming language, skim this:
sivers.org/srs
And for the knee jerk naysayers who think spaced repetition is inappropriate for learning programming, pic related.

Attached: 1545131370916.png (1154x564, 654K)

Wow that really is good....whos got the roll for project pic, im ready

"Python" and "best" don't belong in the same sentence.

Attached: annoyed.jpg (459x459, 18K)

Attached: 51b87acdcb445d038d8b17e8a4c1c2d1.png (1412x293, 122K)