Monitor general

Can we have a monitor thread?

/pcbg/ is flooded with monitor-related questions everyday that no one seems to answer, so maybe its time it got its own thread.

Buying a monitor in 2019 is literally a gamble considering how common it is to drop $150+ on a product that will have light bleeding, glow, dead pixels, etc.

Post your current monitor setup and/or recommendations of monitors that aren't complete trash.

PS if anyone wants to make this an actual daily thread and can come up with a good OP feel free to.

Attached: Dell_Ultrasharp[1].jpg (519x512, 49K)

Other urls found in this thread:

mwave.com.au/product/acer-nitro-xv272up-27-144hz-wqhd-freesync-ips-gaming-monitor-ac21162
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>/pcbg/ is flooded with monitor-related questions everyday
Because that's where they belong.
>recommendations of monitors that aren't complete trash.
Don't buy anything less than true 10bit, and never buy TN, curved, or AOC. The end, you're fucking golden.

Why not aoc

Ask in

buy dell

Head phones have there own dedicated thread, you dont speak for all of us
Was thinking of starting a monitor thread like this but but based OP already did
>Don't buy anything less than true 10bit, and ynever buy TN, curved, or AOC. The end, you're fucking golden.
Spend a 1k on a monitor or dont bother? Fuck off user

Monitors depend on use, you need to know if you want general use or image editing or gayming etc. Also depends on space, distance from screen, light in the room, and gpu. Like most things what is ‘good’ is subjective and depends on what is needed.

>Don't buy anything less than true 10bit

10-bit is irrelevant if you are not doing color sensitive work.

Exactly this. Monitor questions are always ignored in /pcbg/ because there's too many of them. It's a shame that something as important as monitors don't have their own thread or enough discussion on Jow Forums. I honestly think monitors are more important than keyboards or in-ear monitors.

If there is enough interest in it, it's completely fine, and even if there isn't, it's an on-topic subject that belongs on Jow Forums.

Saying that monitor discussion should be restricted to /pcbg/ is silly, it is a PC building thread focused on purchase. I'm interested in monitors myself beyond just my own purchase of one.

Don't have a recent desktop picture but

My monitors:

$160 Dell D3218HN (32 inch 1080p IPS 60hz) (~14 months)
$230 Dell U2415 (24 inch 1080p IPS 60hz) (~3 months)

The smaller monitor being more expensive is not a typo. I recommend not cheaping out on your monitor as I began to have trouble with my cheaper, larger monitor literally 1 month after the warranty expired. It was a strange issue I have never seen described elsewhere where dark greens and oranges were displaying as black/purple flashing pixels. It wasn't computer or cord specific and wasn't localized to one region on the monitor. It spontaneously resolved but I suspect the problem will eventually recur.

My advice: Don't cheap out and don't buy something that people haven't used well past the warranty period. Staying away from any new technology should be the standard.

Attached: Dell-D3218HN-32”-Ultra-Wide-IPS-Monitor.jpg (680x680, 44K)

>10-bit is irrelevant if you are not doing color sensitive work.
Why even bother with having a general if you're just going to buy a some random garbage anyways?

Does 32" feel too big to use?

Seeing a lot of 32" 1440p monitors on sale right now that are cheaper than 27" for some reason.

Jow Forums doesn't need another consumer cancershit general especially when the topic is already covered in a pre existing consumer cancershit general.

I have the U2414H planning to upgrade to the 2019 version. Going to use a colrimeter on it then overclock it to 72hz.

And?

How is a general about monitors any worse than

>/pmp/ - Portable Music Player general
>/tpg/ - ThinkPad General
>/iemg/ - in ear monitor general

Random garbage? 10-bit panels are expensive, and there are like two of them with high refresh rates. Typically you want a 10-bit panel if you are working with 10-bit content, which most people aren't.

I have a CG319X I use at work, but it's not a monitor you need unless you are doing a lot of work that requires 10-bit accuracy of colors. For viewing of 10-bit content, you want a 10-bit TV that is non-IPS that has high contrast and luminance so image quality of a 10-bit monitor is not really something you want for viewing, it is solely for productive work in this regard. But I don't think you know enough about these things to really talk about it, kind of strange to shill 10-bit when you don't understand it.

Those are just as cancerous especially since 2 of them already had a pre-existing home in another pre-existing cancershit general.
Making yet another cancershit general for no reason is just being, and spreading your cancer.
If you wanted sub reddits than Jow Forums isn't where you want to be you dumb faggot.
PS kys.

>Dumb faggot says dumb shit to rationalize throwing money away at trash
Already a good thread, huh faggot.

Sounds like a faulty tcon. Or something wrong with the voltage being used to drive the LCD.
I have an old TV with that defect too.

Do it the chink way. Buy panel and parts, assemble your own 4K 10bit monitor for $250 or so.

Attached: 9aQ5-7jmuXsZ7uT3cS340-2bs.jpg (4032x3016, 2.96M)

I’ve got a 32 1440p and like it, I will say that the actual image quality is probably similar to 1080p at 27, I suspect a 27 1440 would have better ppi. 32 is big but it wasn’t hard to get used to.

16:10 master race

Faggots in this thread will be against this, because they can't shill some shitty brand name with a TN.

Not really, you gotta look at the measurements of the monitor you're buying.
To see if the rated input lag lives up to specs, the e-delta, luminance, how blurry fast moving objects look on the monitor compared to others also ghosting, if the monitor comes with factory calibration if you care about that, the presents it comes with, the stand of the monitor if it can tilt/rotate and height adjustment. The ports your monitor has, how well you can overclock the monitor and the color gaumat range for example 99% sRBG 80% AdobeRGB.

Many more, but if you want the least amount of blur and least ghosting you're going to have to go for TN but give up color accuaracy and lower contrast ratio.

>Bad advice
I can already tell that this thread is just some brandfags excuse to market some gamer garbage.

This is the only right answer.

What's the board name?

Some random chink board. They don't really have names.
This one uses a realtek chip I think

This, not to mention that color managed applications are still few and far between, and if you use a wide color gamut monitor for non-color-managed sRGB content it is going to look like oversaturated horse shit.

I suppose normalfaggots enjoy that look, but if you care about color accuracy it'll make you want to claw your eyes out.

>My current GPU and monitor = RX 570 4GB + LG 22EA53VQ-P

I wan't upgrade to 4k, worth it?

Is it user-programmable or a proprietrary replacement part for existing product?

If you want to do a monitor guide just link to TFTCentral, they've got a big guide on monitors. Some of their very good TN monitor they've measured sometimes beaten their IPS counterparts in color accuracy. Though its not the case if you buy a good quality IPS monitor.

I use an IBM C220p CRT with 2048x1536 res @60Hz
I see no reason to use a shitty panel, aside from the one in my T60

It's some kind of demo board. Not reprogrammable unless you have the right tools, but there's no need to unless you want to port doom to the MCU inside.

so far this thread has not given me any leads towards which monitor to buy.

Attached: monitor-376972_960_720[1].jpg (509x720, 27K)

Buy a used 10bit 16:10 color accurate ips. They're often found cheap now. If you want more pixels buy an 10+ bit HDR monitor.

Reminder that 16:10 is the grown-up aspect ratio.

Anyone had any luck finding a good budget monitor for non-gaming use?

Acer Nitro XV272UP 27" 144Hz WQHD FreeSync IPS Gaming Monitor
Does anyone have this How is it?

mwave.com.au/product/acer-nitro-xv272up-27-144hz-wqhd-freesync-ips-gaming-monitor-ac21162

How do you guys feel about this display? Yes it's a TN, but i really like the design language.

Attached: alienwaremonitor-1280-1502839129649_1280w.jpg (1280x720, 142K)

You haven't given usecase or budget. Dell are usually a good choice though if you want to pay premium.

Looking for a monitor for GAYming everyone's got any suggestions for 1440 144Hz that don't cost more than half a thousand burgers?

gaming, light photoshop work (web dev), $400 max?

Chink monitors

Look into 144hz 1440p IPS monitors. Finding a good one at 400 might be tough though unless you buy used.

thanks. i've been looking for about a month and a half, ever since i got my new computer .i can't find anything good that's not retarded expansive.

Go on dell's website and search up their monitors. If you want the best look at their Ultrasharp models, if you want cheaper go for Professional > Standard > Economic models. Ultrasharp and professional models are premium, Ultrasharp are factory calibrated.

You can select the monitor size, resolution.

>tfw high refresh rate gaming monitors are everywhere these days
>but none of them are Nvidia 3D Vision compatible anymore

I am looking for a 144hz 1080p monitor for gayming and programming (something easy on the eyes).
Should I stay away from Asus? Quality control seems shit when reading through Amazon reviews, but idk any real alternatives.

Attached: 86F94EA7-CCFA-4A61-B190-103228230E5E.jpg (1436x1436, 199K)

I thought you only needed a 120hz monitor?
Then you just buy a 3D vision glasses.

>TN is shit
>IPS has bleed, shitty blacks and shitty contrast
>VA has shitty response times, shitty colors and ghosting issues
>all of these have imperfect scaling
>all of these have input lag
When the FUCK do we get CRTs back?

When CRTs become cheaper to manufactur, and ship.

I need a monitor for gaming and editing in ps. I have a 226bw from the stoneages that I fixed a few times myself and really need an upgrade.

I was thinking an asus VG258QR for gaming. Its one of the only monitors that aren't a pain to get here in Portugal. Anyone got this one?

I was also thinking of getting a cheap dell ultrasharp for around 200-300 euro for my photography business.

>Jow Forums is NOT your personal tech support team or personal consumer review site.
B-but it's a general.

I dont know why but apparently the monitor needs a special something or other to understand the GPU's syncing orders.

>RX 570
for anything intensive you'll need to downscale to 1080p until you get a better gpu

Fuck it's tempting to get both a 1440p/165 gaming monitor and a 4k monitor for gaming. The 4k would be for older games.

Can you give us a quicc rundown where to source our monitor parts from, and what to look out for when building a monitor?

I never considered building my own monitor an option, but if it really is viable at a reasonable price, that would be awesome.

1080p 22-24" 1x
1440p 30-32" 1x
4K 44-48" 1x
4K 22-24" 2x
4K 15" 3x

XB2483HSU -- good VA
great for movies
may suck for gaymes

XB271HU bmiprz
144hz
1440p
IPS
Goy-sync
pic related
Got it last year for 350 bucks.
If I paid full price for it I'd return
it, but for the price I got it I
haven't seen a better deal, and
even chink korean monitors
with similar specs were more
expensive with similar panel
quality. I haven't bothered
looking at the market ever
since so I have no idea if
there are better deals now, but
it's fine. It's not as bad with the
brightness turned down, and
I can never go back to sub
144hz TN.

Attached: 20180810_234332.jpg (4032x3024, 3.18M)

Why the fuck would you care about 3d?

Samsung CHG 27

Dell TN gsync monitors work with 3d vision.

Most of the parts can be bought from china with little risk. Except the panel, there will be medium risk for obvious reasons. Even if the panel doesn't shatter, it may be flexed which will cause backlight bleeding.
Pic related is how they shipped the 27" panel to that guy.

Things to look out for: Panels may use non-standard connectors for standard interfaces. The LM270WR3 above uses a 30-pin connection for 4-lane eDP for example. It also uses a 6-pin connector for the backlight, though the pinout is rather common. The LM270WR6 however uses 4 ribbon cables for its backlight. Shops selling panel driver boards may have the right cables in stock, you'll have to ask them though.
Another thing to look out for is the specs for the LED backlight. If you don't get the current right you may over or under drive the LEDs. You will have to read the panel datasheet for this. Then you can get one of those LED driver boards that allows you to adjust the output current (these are made for LED LCDs). Or you can use any LED driver as long as they meet the specs.
You will probably have to build the casing yourself. Technically you can get one of those premade shells but they're all terrible from what I've seen. The guy above used a laser-cut piece of acrylic to mount the panel.
You will have to calibrate the panel yourself if you want accurate colors.

It's not easy but if things go right it's a nice project that can get you something close to the Dell UP2718Q for $300 or so.

Attached: 9aQ5-7jrdXjZ59T3cS340-2bs.jpg (4032x3016, 2.49M)

u2417h here

ama

Attached: image0.jpg (4032x3024, 1.78M)

My friend got one used for $150. Is that a bad price?
Do you see FRC artifacts?

no that's fine, i bought mine new for $230.

nope it just works desu

I bought a 24" 10bit 1920x1200 HP dream color for less than that off of eBay.
Looks good, and the position gets auto detected by windows.

Is the Uphoria any good?

Planning on buying the larger version UMC404HD to use with monitors for music production.

Is the backlight bleed / glow bad on this?

From what I understand Dell is the safest option for a budget monitor

works for me but i'm not really too knowledgeable about that stuff, i just wanted a cheap interface for my mic and headphones. i'd ask the /a/udiophiles of Jow Forums

very little backlight bleed on my model and the glow is only around the bottom left side for me, not really noticeable at all. sometimes you gotta get lucky too. dell tends to have very good warranties and return policies if something's h*cked up

So that's leaves a handful of Samsung VAs with 49ms response times, LG's new overpriced nanopiss, and some pro monitors like some ultrasharps and proarts. Or just get a TV.

Every HDR spec requires 10 bit

What a coincidence

Is there any cheap (under 200€), decent 27'' monitor (or higher) that you would recommend?

You should see my post here
HDR on an IPS monitor is never going to be a thing, and is definitely not a thing on current monitors. The luminance and contrast ratio of monitors are not capable of producing any relevant HDR details, for that you are much better off with a non-IPS 10-bit TV with higher contrast and luminance. HDR on a PC monitor is not a thing.

>Every HDR spec requires 10 bit
Depends how you look at, good dithering implementation of an 8-bit + FRC panel can mimic 10-bit color accuracy to a point you will not be able to detect any difference when viewing content.

Finally decide to upgrade from old ve247h to a viewsonic el cheapo vx3258-2k. 500 roobucks usually but got it for $390. Probably works out to about 5cents usd with the exchange rates nowdays.

32in , 1440p, 144hz, freesync that sort of works with nvidia and 5ms(lol not really) response time.
Has a few minor issues but bareable considering the next compareable monitor is around 50 bucks more at full price and still has issues. At-least in aus.

One thing that really bugs me is the VA panel ghosting holy fuck it can be bad. The 5ms response makes it like motion blur is applied in every game(albeit very smooth 144hz blur).

Also there's this very fine interlacing artefact that causes a light screendoor effect on some parts of the screen when showing static lighter colored things, not noticeable in games/movies though thankfully.
Was thinking of returning it for this reason but considering all the other shit that can go wrong and how cheap it was I couldn't be bothered.

Can confirm 32in 1440p looks exactly the same as 24in 1080p in terms of pixel clarity/density which is fine for me considering the much larger immersive screen.
Another thing to note is that upgrading has made many imperfections in visual media horribly noticeable now. I suppose ignorance truly is bliss some times. It's akin to upgrading to a good pair of sennheisers from a shitty gayming headset, you begin to notice the poor audio quality, every lip smack, every swallow, every background noise, etc, in a lot of things.

>t.Blogpost

>HDR on an IPS monitor is never going to be a thing, and is definitely not a thing on current monitors.
Go away retard.
>Shills FRC
Just kys.

Wow thanks man, I'll definitely look into this!

>You should see my post here
Yes. The thread can see that you're an idiot, and that these posts where made by someone who pisses all the powers granted by an extra chromosome.

Anyone have experience with AOPEN monitors?

>HDR on an IPS monitor is never going to be a thing
HDR1000 certified IPS monitors not only exist, but you can buy them right now since they are fully released commercial products.

Is ther a write up on this somewhere?

You can find build logs from the people who've done it.
They're all in chinese though.

>can we have another general

No, fuck off, neck yourself, etc etc

Hdr1000 is a fake spec not recognized by any authoritative body. The only recognized HDR profiles are HDR10 and Dolby Vision. Maybe HDR10+ but it doesnt have much steam behind it

Thinking about buying a Dell S2719DGF, should I do it?

Been doing a lot of research and just want to commit already.

Attached: Koala.jpg (1024x768, 771K)

how much worse is IPS vs TN for fps games?

I just bought one a month ago.
It's decent for a TN panel. For pure gaymen I can't complain

>HDR1000
yikes.

If you go for an IPS you're going to get ghosting on fast moving objects on your screen.
Try and find a low input lag less than 4ms and high refresh rate monitor 120hz or more to avoid this happening too badly if you're playing fast paced games. Or if you go TN like the BenQ monitors you won't get this, but in turn have shitty colors and viewing angles.

Attached: 1545112464732.jpg (2880x3024, 2.12M)

I just got a Dell S2719DGF a few days ago, with a similar mix of use cases in mind, though in my case the graphics stuff is photography. It's TN but has very good color accuracy and gamut, about on par with consumer IPS displays, and it's also 144hz and 1440p. Normal price is $400 but you ought to be able to find it for a bit less, sadly you just missed a flash sale where it was $300 for a day at Best Buy.

I have a 980TI. Should I get a 1440p @144Hz monitor?

I just want a new 16:10 monitor...

current setup is
20" Acer
24" BenQ
acer one is 10 years+ old. Benq is 6 iirc.
I want a third monitor for my switch/ps4 cause fuck tvs and switching monitor all the time is annoying. Can either get new monitor for pc(1060 6gb) and use benq for consoles or new monitor for consoles only.
All VA panels are fucking curved and IPS got shit blacks. Returned a tv last year cause of shitty blacks. Should i just get a TN with low respond time?

Just bought a benq el2870u.
It's a nice TN 4k Monitor which I got for only 250€. Finally 4k Monitor prices drop under 300.

It's also packed with HDR, 10bit colors, adaptive brightness and freesync btw

I'm fucking dying for a Mini LED monitor.

Are curved monitors really just a meme?

Attached: 81829CS+4uL._SL1500_[1].jpg (1500x1000, 128K)